Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aqae
Mar 7, 2012

salt
Hi I am looking for some good beef jerky recipes... I love hot & spicy and have looked around the net but only found a couple of good looking H&S recipes...

looking to use beef if possible....

PS I am a newb at making jerky... I would love to incorporate paprika, habanero, cayenne and maybe some kind of sweet chilli sauce substitute (?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Does anyone have an outstanding cutout-cookie recipe? I'm just looking for a straight up cut out cookie to which I can add flavor with glazes, icings, etc.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Phummus posted:

Does anyone have an outstanding cutout-cookie recipe? I'm just looking for a straight up cut out cookie to which I can add flavor with glazes, icings, etc.

These are pretty awesome and very easy to make/modify to your hearts desire.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sugar-cookies-recipe

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
If I wanted to make cookies with a sugar cookie/peanut butter cookie texture that tasted like sourdough (as opposed to just making little sourdough biscuits), would I be able to get that flavor from lactic acid? Any suggestions or ideas welcome.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Splizwarf posted:

If I wanted to make cookies with a sugar cookie/peanut butter cookie texture that tasted like sourdough (as opposed to just making little sourdough biscuits), would I be able to get that flavor from lactic acid? Any suggestions or ideas welcome.

I know people use whey in dough to give it a slightly cheesy flavour, where are you getting the lactic acid from?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The Wikipedia entry on sourdough bread lists that as the source of the distinct "sourdough-y" taste. Figured I'd look in On Food And Cooking when I got home for confirmation/denial.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I just finished up a 24 cure and 7 day hanging for a breast of duck prosciutto, and was looking to have some for dinner tonight. However, I forgot to weigh the breast before I hung it, so I'm not sure if it's down 30% in weight. It seems quite firm, and the breast was about half the weight of the one the recipe said to use, so I have a feeling it should be ok, but I really don't want to kill myself here. :ohdear:

I didn't have any nitrates or nitrites in the cure, and I spent a good portion of the day scaring the bejesus out of myself with the wiki entry for botulism. Is that something I should be worried about, or is that only relevant for canned goods and sausages?

Also, I should mention that I wasn't planning on cooking this before consumption...

Happy Abobo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 13, 2012

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Where would you even find lactic acid? (Not a rhetorical question, I'm curious)

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
It's time to fuckin' grill and I got a solid frozen block of four pounds of head-on shrimp. What marinade is the best marinade?? Lime+cayenne?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

can I get some pro tips for cooking trader joes mixed seafood? I over cook it like a champ.

Usually goes like this: olive oil in a pan, heat red pepper flakes and garlic til fragrant. Throw in bag still frozen, add some white wine. gently caress around with it til the shrimp look done.

Should I be defrosting first? Covering and steaming? Different preparation method?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yes, you should be defrosting. What's in it? Can't really tell you how to cook without knowing, with a mix of seafood in a dish you have to add it in order depending on how long each thing takes to cook.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Goddamn posted:

Where would you even find lactic acid? (Not a rhetorical question, I'm curious)

At your local home brewing shop, for messing with the pH of your wort. Here's an example at an online brew supplies vendor.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Fellow Goonies! I went to a little resto called "bBlue" some weeks ago. The place was beautiful, its an organic food resto that haves some AWESOME SMOOTHIES. It was the first time that i tasted those drinks, and i loved them. I'd like to know if there are some recipes for smoothies over there, so i can make them at home.
Thank you very much!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes, you should be defrosting. What's in it? Can't really tell you how to cook without knowing, with a mix of seafood in a dish you have to add it in order depending on how long each thing takes to cook.

Its a mixed bag of shrimp, scallops, and squid.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ron Jeremy posted:

Its a mixed bag of shrimp, scallops, and squid.

Okay, that's a tough mix. Shrimp will take a few minutes depending on how big they are, the best way to tell is to poke them and see how the texture is. Scallops should be seared by themselves in a hot pan, again it depends on thickness but try 30 seconds on each side and see how that comes out. Squid should either be cooked on high heat for no longer than two minutes or stewed on low heat for at least an hour, anything in between is likely to be rubber.

If you have to cook it all together I would start by searing the scallops, set aside. Cook the squid, set aside. Make your sauce and throw in the shrimp, when the shrimp are about done put the scallops back in then add the squid right at the end and leave it in just long enough to get back to temperature.

Edit: This is hardly the only way to go about it but it's simple. Cooking all three of those at the same time is going to gently caress up at least one of them though. You need to cook in batches.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 14, 2012

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I was gonna make some beef bourguignon tomorrow, using Anthony Bourdain's recipe:

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/anthony-bourdain/articles/boeuf-bourguignon

This is probably a stupid question, but should it be cooked uncovered on the stove, or covered in the oven at 325 or so, like you'd do a pot roast?

The recipe just says "simmer gently" for two hours.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yggdrassil posted:

Fellow Goonies! I went to a little resto called "bBlue" some weeks ago. The place was beautiful, its an organic food resto that haves some AWESOME SMOOTHIES. It was the first time that i tasted those drinks, and i loved them. I'd like to know if there are some recipes for smoothies over there, so i can make them at home.
Thank you very much!

The beauty of the smoothie is that it's infinitely variable to your tastes. I don't have any recipes, and I doubt anyone here has the particular recipes from that particular restaurant. One decent recommendation though is to use frozen fruit – it's actually pretty quality stuff usually, and if you use frozen fruit you don't need to add ice, so you don't have to dilute it as much.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

a handful of dust posted:

I was gonna make some beef bourguignon tomorrow, using Anthony Bourdain's recipe:

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/anthony-bourdain/articles/boeuf-bourguignon

This is probably a stupid question, but should it be cooked uncovered on the stove, or covered in the oven at 325 or so, like you'd do a pot roast?

The recipe just says "simmer gently" for two hours.

Simmer gently in this case means uncovered on the stovetop. Typically, unless stated specifically, don't cover a dish while you are cooking. Also, that part of the recipe is calling for a reduction, which would be hampered by a lid.

EDIT: I just went looking for the Chicago Dining thread, but it appears to have gone bye-bye. Did I just miss it, or did it get put into Archives? Looking for a mid range place on the North side or in the North Burbs (Evanston, Skokie)

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 14, 2012

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CzarChasm posted:

Simmer gently in this case means uncovered on the stovetop. Typically, unless stated specifically, don't cover a dish while you are cooking. Also, that part of the recipe is calling for a reduction, which would be hampered by a lid.

Cool, thanks. There are some youtube versions where they're using a le creuset in the oven with a lid on, so I wasn't sure.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Kenning posted:

The beauty of the smoothie is that it's infinitely variable to your tastes. I don't have any recipes, and I doubt anyone here has the particular recipes from that particular restaurant. One decent recommendation though is to use frozen fruit – it's actually pretty quality stuff usually, and if you use frozen fruit you don't need to add ice, so you don't have to dilute it as much.

Great! I'll try to speak with the peeps at bBlue then. Thank you very much!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I just bought some squid ink linguine. Made a couple spoonfuls of it and it tastes very faintly of seafood, like roe.

What would be good to throw on top of this?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Cooking dinner for a girl on Friday, and trying to do something vegetarian and also not too heavy/greasy/romance-killing. I have some home-pickled lemons, so was thinking some Moroccan-influenced cous-cous dish would be good. Any (veg) recommendations on things to do with cous-cous to make it more of a main course and less of a side-dish?

Is it just a matter of using it as a bed for large-enough chunks of roasted vegetable to turn it into a vegetarian main-course?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I just bought some squid ink linguine. Made a couple spoonfuls of it and it tastes very faintly of seafood, like roe.

Some coffee grounds and orange peels to knock the smell down as you pitch the lot and boil up some non-gross noodles. :v:

Though that doesn't sound appetizing to me in the least, let's add some more seafood to your noodles to take advantage of their interesting taste. Fry up some scallops in butter and a little oil and toss them with the hot noodles. Use loads of butter and maybe a little garlic heated at the end until fragrant. Toss the lot and it should retain both delicate flavors to good effect.

This sauce should work well too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I've had squid ink spaghetti at Babbo that was served with rock shrimp, chilies, and salami

Bonus awful low light pic

Black Spaghetti with Rock Shrimp, Spicy Salami Calabrese and Green Chiles by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

CzarChasm posted:

EDIT: I just went looking for the Chicago Dining thread, but it appears to have gone bye-bye. Did I just miss it, or did it get put into Archives? Looking for a mid range place on the North side or in the North Burbs (Evanston, Skokie)
Dunno about American food, but there's fantastic ethnic cuisine if you drive West on Dempster Ave out of Evanston and into Skokie. I remember a fabulous Afghani restaurant, good Korean places, and the immortal Pita Inn. In Evanston proper, the restaurant at the Orrington Hotel isn't bad though it might be a bit above mid-range.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steve Yun posted:

Do this:

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
The market has some killer baby artichokes out right now, and I have it on good authority that sauteing them in halves in butter and olive oil is the right way to go.

I want to have some lamb with them, and can get some decent chops - but all I have is an oven, no grill and no grill pan with me. Does anyone have a good lamb chop recipe/preparation that I can cook in the oven? I've done the Alton Brown technique for steak on this particular stove/oven pretty well (brown on hot stovetop, cook in oven for minimum amounts of time on broil). Will this work for lamb chops as well?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Don't even bother with the oven - just do a stovetop like you would with a good steak. Hot sear on both sides until a nice crust, then pull the pan from the fire and drop in some butter, serve once the butter is melted and drizzle the melted butter on top. Make sure you put some salt and pepper on the chops at some point, too.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Cooking dinner for a girl on Friday, and trying to do something vegetarian and also not too heavy/greasy/romance-killing. I have some home-pickled lemons, so was thinking some Moroccan-influenced cous-cous dish would be good. Any (veg) recommendations on things to do with cous-cous to make it more of a main course and less of a side-dish?

Is it just a matter of using it as a bed for large-enough chunks of roasted vegetable to turn it into a vegetarian main-course?

If you're looking to go vegetarian for a meal, please don't ignore beans. The starch is good as filler, but the beans will up how full you feel afterwards. I'd say start off with some hummus of some sort. Sprinkle on some olive oil and paprika just before serving, along with generous heaps of parsley to offset the garlic breath. Have it with toasted pita bread.

Then into the cous-cous, toss some fava beans or lima beans, a good hit of toasted cumin seed, ground coriander, ground cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg, a bunch of different roasted veg (eggplant, red and yellow peppers, squash), and some lemon juice, olive oil, and walnuts/pecans/slivered almonds/cashews, depending on whatever you have on hand. If you have it, some olives and a bit of saffron makes everything delicious. If you have it, some pomegranate seeds make it even more lovely, especially with the pretty colours peeking out between the grain. Top it generously with deep fried onions. You cut the onions into thin rings, and deep fry them until they turn dark brown and crispy. They taste sweet and smoky all at the same time.

For sides, serve some kind of wilted, garlicky greens, like kale or spinach. Basically, you just sautee off the greens in olive oil and garlic, with a bit of salt. Have some kind of raw salad on the side, like one made of cucumber, spring onion, parsley, tahina, lemon juice, and avocado if you can find them ripe. It'll be a nice counterpoint to the smoky cumin in the main.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I'm looking to make some shredded beef tacos this weekend. I just purchased 2 lbs of a chuck roast and I was wondering if I could bounce my "recipe" off you guys:

Rub the roast in a spice blend of salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin. Once its covered, sear the crap out of each side and get a good dark brown on the outside.

Take roast out of pan and set aside, saute chopped onion in some olive oil. Throw in some garlic once the onion is translucent. Then throw in salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder along with two chopped up chipotle peppers and some tomato paste.

Take that and throw into the slow cooker, place the roast in as well and add beef broth (stock?) to up to half of the roast, then water to just cover it.

Let it cook on low for 5-6 hours.

What do we think?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

I'm looking to make some shredded beef tacos this weekend. I just purchased 2 lbs of a chuck roast and I was wondering if I could bounce my "recipe" off you guys:

Rub the roast in a spice blend of salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin. Once its covered, sear the crap out of each side and get a good dark brown on the outside.

Take roast out of pan and set aside, saute chopped onion in some olive oil. Throw in some garlic once the onion is translucent. Then throw in salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder along with two chopped up chipotle peppers and some tomato paste.

Take that and throw into the slow cooker, place the roast in as well and add beef broth (stock?) to up to half of the roast, then water to just cover it.

Let it cook on low for 5-6 hours.

What do we think?

If you sear the crap out of a thing with spices rubbed all over it all you'll end up doing is burn said spices and/or pepper spray yourself. I'd just salt the beef liberally then sear like mad. Once done, reduce heat to medium, add the onion and garlic to the pan, and caramelize slowly. It's important to do this slowly because the brown bits from the beef will be teetering on the edge of burnt, you don't want them to go over. Once the alliums are lightly caramelized add the fresh ground spices to the oil and heat through lightly. If you are able, try not to use generic "chile powder," try and find some whole dried chiles like californias, guajillos, or anchos, and supply some heat with some arbols, japones, or pequins and grind fresh in a spice grinder. Next, deglaze with a cheap Mexican beer or tequila or even just water and a bit of lime juice and add all the wet ingredients (I'd skip the tomato paste, it doesn't really add anything in this recipe). Replace all of the beefs, add a bay leaf or two, and add just enough water or beef stock to cover, then cover the pot and let simmer on low for 4 hours or so. I wouldn't transfer to a crock pot, all you're doing is dirtying more crap that you'll have to clean later. Just put the pot on the back burner and let it simmer on low. About one hour out, remove the lid and let the sauce start to reduce. Stir every 10 min. When the desired consistency is reached, taste for salt. Finish with some fresh minced cilantro.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
Cauldron question!

My mom is changing her electric stove to a gas one. She'd also like to change her cauldron set, but she's wondering if there is a brand/material/type that is better suited to gas heat than another. I don't know anything about this, or even if if makes a difference, so I thought I'd defer to goon wisdom.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Cauldron question!

My mom is changing her electric stove to a gas one. She'd also like to change her cauldron set, but she's wondering if there is a brand/material/type that is better suited to gas heat than another. I don't know anything about this, or even if if makes a difference, so I thought I'd defer to goon wisdom.

You're going to have to be more specific about your definition of "cauldron." I envision a large roundish cast iron pot with a lid that you hang over an open fire.

Practically, there aren't really any cooking materials that are better suited to gas than electric. I suppose you could argue that cast iron is especially nice with gas because it changes temp slowly so you're less likely to burn things with the heat too high, but even that is a weak argument. Heat is heat.

Archives
Nov 23, 2008
Is there a thread about distilling alcohol around here? I noticed the brewing megathread but it seems to be only about beer.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Archives posted:

Is there a thread about distilling alcohol around here? I noticed the brewing megathread but it seems to be only about beer.

There probably is not one because it is illegal in the U.S. to distill alcohol *without a license that is expensive and hard to get. If one made a thread about it one would have to be careful to word it in such a way that one were not encouraging an illegal activity. You could probably look at TCC for some model of how that's done. Or maybe just do it in TCC?

edit: *Actually, I guess that would answer that question though: just make the thread with the assumption that everyone has their legal license to distill liquor.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Made some bone marrow and tried it on toast with capers parsley and shallots.

It's super fatty. Like, fatter than bacon.

Is it okay to eat if it's a little pink?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

You just say SWIM (someone who isn't me) when you reference what you've done all the time, it's a great system.

On a more serious note regarding gas ranges: I was helping my parents prepare our Christmas meal in their new house with a gas range, but a pot of water took forever to boil on it. Maybe it's because I'm used to electric stoves (used them all my life with a few exceptions), but it took way too long to bring a big pot of water to boil. It seemed like a lot of the heat was travelling around the sides of the pot, could that happen because the pot wasn't close enough to the flame? The stove is messed up? It was a big soup pot type of thing, so it wasn't too small for the burners. We ended up putting the thing on the wok burner the stove has so it would finally boil in a timely fashion.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Made some bone marrow and tried it on toast with capers parsley and shallots.

It's super fatty. Like, fatter than bacon.

Is it okay to eat if it's a little pink?

bone marrow is almost pure fat. You want to be roasting it for at least 20 min or so (edit: at VERY high heat preferably broiled) and it shouldn't be pink at all, just jiggly and delicious. I don't think it's dangerous to eat pink though.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 16, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Brewing's illegal in some states too, along with guns, but TFR prospers. :v:

I would be interested in a distilling thread, although alcohol-only is a narrow focus. For example, making Liquid Smoke is simple distilling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Eeyo posted:

You just say SWIM (someone who isn't me) when you reference what you've done all the time, it's a great system.

On a more serious note regarding gas ranges: I was helping my parents prepare our Christmas meal in their new house with a gas range, but a pot of water took forever to boil on it. Maybe it's because I'm used to electric stoves (used them all my life with a few exceptions), but it took way too long to bring a big pot of water to boil. It seemed like a lot of the heat was travelling around the sides of the pot, could that happen because the pot wasn't close enough to the flame? The stove is messed up? It was a big soup pot type of thing, so it wasn't too small for the burners. We ended up putting the thing on the wok burner the stove has so it would finally boil in a timely fashion.

My folks bought one of those fancy new "restaurant style" gas ranges and it has the same problem. The racks put the pans way too far from the burners. It would work if it had more BTUs, but I think ranges for home use are limited. My cheap-rear end gas stove works better than their expensive one.