Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

I was blown away the first time I heard a solo track of James Jamerson on the Motown classics, not just because his playing is so good, but because his tone is a lot more distorted than I had imagined it would be. In the mix with the rest of the band, however, it cuts perfectly, and sounds like pure liquid gold.

This why those "I use this gear" articles that show up in magazines and around the internet can be so misleading. A lot of instrumentalists, even really great ones, don't have a great understanding of how recording engineers alter their sound and why. So instances like these arise where an aspiring instrumentalist will emulate their idol's sound exactly only to discover that their idol would sound like toasty crap without the rest of the band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Juaguocio posted:

I was blown away the first time I heard a solo track of James Jamerson on the Motown classics, not just because his playing is so good, but because his tone is a lot more distorted than I had imagined it would be. In the mix with the rest of the band, however, it cuts perfectly, and sounds like pure liquid gold.

That's the good old flatwound growl. I loving love it and can't wait for my strings to age about 10 more years to fully achieve it :)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Finally came to terms with needing to move on from the GS412, as we're going to be moving soon and I have no idea whether the 412 is going to be feasible going forward. Fortunately, a pair of GS112's sounds almost identical.

iJay
Jul 6, 2005

Dolph Lundgren is awesome
I've been thinking about buying a new Fender's american standard p-bass, I really like the feel and sound of it and I'm getting it at a decent prize - should I buy it? y/n I wouldn't mind having more frets though.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Am I crazy for pondering a used '92 Fender 5-String Jazz Bass Plus for $499 at my local Guitar Center? $500 for what is basically a USA made J-Bass is awfully tempting.

Edit: I already own a Fender Geddy Bass, but I wouldn't mind getting a 2nd Jazz bass.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 13, 2012

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

JayKay posted:

Am I crazy for pondering a used '92 Fender 5-String Jazz Bass Plus for $499 at my local Guitar Center? $500 for what is basically a USA made J-Bass is awfully tempting.

Edit: I already own a Fender Geddy Bass, but I wouldn't mind getting a 2nd Jazz bass.

If it feels and sounds good, sure. I've never played one personally. I'd be interested to hear what the lace sensor pups and the kubicki electronics sound like.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

iJay posted:

I've been thinking about buying a new Fender's american standard p-bass, I really like the feel and sound of it and I'm getting it at a decent prize - should I buy it? y/n I wouldn't mind having more frets though.

If you like it, you should buy it.

Plus, if it's a good sounding American Fender that's in a non-offensive color and you end up wanting to move on, it'll be pretty easy to unload without taking a massive bath.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

My new Stambaugh is seriously for real shipping tomorrow, and of course I will be out of town for work when it gets here. :sigh:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
What do you guys feel about stainless steel strings? I need to put some new strings before a gig on saturday.

I play uhh some kinda sludgey stoner I guess so tuned real low. I haven't used stainless steel before but I've got a buddy working at a music shop and those are the only strings they have on shelf in the gauge that I use. Would stainless steel go well with our type of music / fingerstyle and does it even matter that much?

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 15, 2012

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dyna Soar posted:

What do you guys feel about stainless steel strings? I need to put some new strings before a gig on saturday.

I play uhh some kinda sludgey stoner I guess so tuned real low. I haven't used stainless steel before but I've got a buddy working at a music shop and those are the only strings they have on shelf in the gauge that I use. Would stainless steel go well with our type of music / fingerstyle and does it even matter that much?

Well they'll start off MUCH brighter than other strings. And they'll chew up your fingers if you don't have some good callouses built up. You'll likely get more overtones due to the brightness, but that may not be an issue in the mix, and can sometimes be a benefit helping you cut through.

If you're set on Stainless, and you want some more tension due to down-tuning, I'd recommend finding some with a hexagonal core, like the DR Lo-Riders. I have the Nickel Lo-Riders on my primary Lakland and love them. Never tried the Stainless though.

You can listen to Ed Friedland play with some here: http://bassemporium.com/blog/?p=445

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need to read around on-line, but does anyone here have experience with the Orange "Crush" series of combo amps?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Finally came to terms with needing to move on from the GS412, as we're going to be moving soon and I have no idea whether the 412 is going to be feasible going forward. Fortunately, a pair of GS112's sounds almost identical.
I just sold my GS112s a couple weeks ago and I already think it may have been a mistake. They seemed to be lacking something in the low end, but now I think maybe something was up with the AG500 I was using with them (also since sold). I thought going from two 45 pounds boxes to one larger 60 pound box would make moving things easier, but that has not been the case, plus the Aguilars fit in the hatch of my car perfectly and the fearful 15/6 is just bigger enough to be annoying.

I'll probably end up selling my current setup once SL112s are more readily available used.

Dyna Soar posted:

I almost exclusively use stainless steel rounds, nickels just die way too quickly. If you're worried about brightness, put the new strings on right away and get a couple hours of practice or a rehearsal in to break them in and you should be fine.

DrChu fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 16, 2012

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I posted in this thread awhile back when I was considering a stock peavey t40. I ended up passing because it was poorly setup and had a trashed 13th fret, however, I bought a peavey t-20 today for 65 dollars . It plays well but it has a peciluar issue. It only outputs sound when you touch the volume or tone knobs. Has anyone else heard of this. I'm just assuming its a bad tone/volume knob or improper ground or something. I have an ohmmeter and have some free time tommarrow to open it up. Any ideas on what I should check/ look for?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Not exactly a bass question I don't think, but I hear this a lot on bass demos (including Ed Friedland's) - scroll down and listen to any of the sound samples here:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_btb675ntf.htm

What the gently caress is that horrible noise? Is it a shielding problem? Why do I hear it so much on solo bass recordings? It sounds like a problem with equipment, but when you have guys like Ed with some serious gear going on and a professional recording setup, it just doesn't make any sense.

Like 3:44 here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx9OigytbNw

Awful electronic upper-midrange buzzing noise, and I only ever hear this with clips of basses. Anyone know what's going on with this?

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 16, 2012

DrChu
May 14, 2002

baka kaba posted:

Not exactly a bass question I don't think, but I hear this a lot on bass demos (including Ed Friedland's) - scroll down and listen to any of the sound samples here:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_btb675ntf.htm

What the gently caress is that horrible noise? Is it a shielding problem? Why do I hear it so much on solo bass recordings? It sounds like a problem with equipment, but when you have guys like Ed with some serious gear going on and a professional recording setup, it just doesn't make any sense.

Like 3:44 here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx9OigytbNw

Awful electronic upper-midrange buzzing noise, and I only ever hear this with clips of basses. Anyone know what's going on with this?
Even though I hate Ed Friendland videos I'm not hearing anything other than light overdrive in his (more once he turns up the gain), and some recording distortion in the Thomann recordings.

Can you post some more examples, or is it overdriven bass you're just not used to?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

quote is not edit :(

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Krustic posted:

I posted in this thread awhile back when I was considering a stock peavey t40. I ended up passing because it was poorly setup and had a trashed 13th fret, however, I bought a peavey t-20 today for 65 dollars . It plays well but it has a peciluar issue. It only outputs sound when you touch the volume or tone knobs. Has anyone else heard of this. I'm just assuming its a bad tone/volume knob or improper ground or something. I have an ohmmeter and have some free time tommarrow to open it up. Any ideas on what I should check/ look for?

Check the ground wire to the bridge too. With metal knobs you could be completing the circuit when touching them.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrChu posted:

Even though I hate Ed Friendland videos I'm not hearing anything other than light overdrive in his (more once he turns up the gain), and some recording distortion in the Thomann recordings.

Can you post some more examples, or is it overdriven bass you're just not used to?

Now I'm curious. What don't you like about Ed's video?

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I don't hear anything wrong with it. Is it your speakers?

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
Is your soundcard's sample rate 48kHz? I hear the awful ringing sound too if I have mine set to 48, but it sounds fine at 44.1

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I think that might just be fretbuzz from the roundwounds coming thru the electronics. It's part of the sound of the instrument...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Orthogonalus posted:

Is your soundcard's sample rate 48kHz? I hear the awful ringing sound too if I have mine set to 48, but it sounds fine at 44.1

THANK YOU! Jesus christ yes, you just saved the internet. The low part of it anyway - even those Ibanez clips sound fine now, and they were atrocious. Weird how it only showed up with bass, but I've learned my lesson

And yeah for everyone else, it wasn't the actual bass's tone that was the problem, there was a constant electronic buzzing/ringing tone that never changed pitch while the bass was being played, a bit like those crap MIDI insect noises you get on some keyboards. Apparently it's a problem on Windows 7, so if you ever run in to it that's what it is!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Thumposaurus posted:

Check the ground wire to the bridge too. With metal knobs you could be completing the circuit when touching them.

You called it. As soon as I put one of my leads to the ground wire it snapped off from the solder point. Thank for the help. The super ferrite pickup sounds solid and it plays pretty well considering it came from a pawn shop and looks like it has 1983 strings. I dropped it off at a local place for a setup so hopefully it will be solid for awhile.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

eeeeeeeee

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

eeeeeeeee

She's a beaut, Clark.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Scarf posted:

If it feels and sounds good, sure. I've never played one personally. I'd be interested to hear what the lace sensor pups and the kubicki electronics sound like.

Welp, ended up passing on it. I dont know why but it just didn't play as well as I though it would be.

Right now I have my sights set on either a Music Man Bongo or Stingray. I keep flip flopping on which I want and it honestly will probably come down to the best deal I can find.

Edit: $1190 for a new 4-string H Stingray ($900ish used) or $1000 for a used 4 string HH Bongo

JayKay fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 17, 2012

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Scarf posted:

Now I'm curious. What don't you like about Ed's video?

• Too much old white guy slapping
  • It seems all his recordings are with some room mic, too much treble and farty distorted bass. I can understand micing in a review of an amp, and maybe some in a bass review, but in a bass review I mainly just want to hear the bass.
  • He calls himself the "bass whisperer"
  • Too much old white guy slapping
  • The reviews seem more like advertisements than reviews (I guess that's too be expected working for a magazine, can't say much negative about the people giving you gear).

Here is ten minutes worth of everything I don't like in an Ed Friedland video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT4AP58jC5o

DrChu
May 14, 2002

JayKay posted:

Edit: $1190 for a new 4-string H Stingray ($900ish used) or $1000 for a used 4 string HH Bongo
If you have any interest in a single H Sterling (the US made one, not the cheaper import line), I have one I'm trying to sell and would be able to beat that used Stingray price by a fair bit and could drive to meet up (I'm near Philly).

If not, I would go for a used single H Stingray over the Bongo. The HH Bongo doesn't have the pickups in the standard Music Man position so you're not gonna be able to get the classic tone. I wouldn't pay over $900 for one though, unless its something starting to approach vintage age.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Stingray also doesn't look like a toilet seat.

I'd go with the Sterling, though, it's a lot nicer to play.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I'm excited to join your ranks. I just bought my first bass.

I'll not be buying an amp just yet. Instead I'll buy an apogee jam and garage band and use my iPad for the time being with my nice headphones.

This thread has been very helpful and I am thankful.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

DrChu posted:

If you have any interest in a single H Sterling (the US made one, not the cheaper import line), I have one I'm trying to sell and would be able to beat that used Stingray price by a fair bit and could drive to meet up (I'm near Philly).

Can you fire me off a PM with what you got. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Stingray also doesn't look like a toilet seat.

I'd go with the Sterling, though, it's a lot nicer to play.

Yeah, I'm more drawn to the Stingray because of looks. Haven't really taken a good look or had a chance to play a Sterling yet.

Is there really any other difference between the Classic Stingray and the regular besides the classic having a 2 Band EQ, String through body, bridge mutes, different profile neck, and some other minor aesthetics? Is that worth the extra $400?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Bought a T-40 on Talkbass last week and it got here today.

It didn't arrive in pieces, but I pulled it apart because it needs some work. Not bad for $200 shipped. Neck is straight and the pickups work. Just needs a little rewiring, cleaning, and a set up and it'll be good to go soon enough.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Welp, just bought the used Bongo-4. I simply couldn't pass on it due to the fact they don't show up often on the used market here. Also the fact the price was right (under $1000) didn't hurt.

That being said, my plan is to still pick up a Stingray in the future :v:

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

FancyMike posted:

Bought a T-40 on Talkbass last week and it got here today.

It didn't arrive in pieces, but I pulled it apart because it needs some work. Not bad for $200 shipped. Neck is straight and the pickups work. Just needs a little rewiring, cleaning, and a set up and it'll be good to go soon enough.

Can't go wrong with T-40! I paid 400$ for mine because of the international shipping, but it was really worth it.

Ugh, I hate to go all e/n, but I'm in sort of a creative slump. :( I play roughly only once a week and even then it's just random noodling rather than something creative and focused. I think it's because we worked hard on our second demo recording from January to late February, and now we're a bit out of steam. We should get our band rehearsal routine rolling again, and I should continue writing my unfinished songs.

Also, I'm thinking about picking up some sort of theory book on harmony, but I can't seem to find something that would meet my needs. I took a quick glance at Harmony and Voice Leading but that's maybe a too holistic approach in my situation. Added to that, I really don't excel at reading sheet music. Does any author have some sort of a learning-by-doing approach to harmony? I know most of the basic principles but I'd love to improve my compositional skills from trial and error to a more concious process.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

So, last fall I decided to get a bass for my birthday. For an amp, I got a Hartke LH500 amp with a matching speaker cabinet.

Earlier this year, the sound coming through the amp started getting badly distorted at random intervals. I assumed that the amp was the problem, and unplugged it and got ready to send it back under warranty.

In the last couple of days, though, it's occurred to me that the problem might not be with my amp, but with the speakers themselves. After all, the speaker cabinet I got was a floor model, so its bound to have seen some abuse.

So, my question to you goons is, how would I go about confirming the source of the intermittent distortion on my amp?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

NuclearPotato posted:

So, last fall I decided to get a bass for my birthday. For an amp, I got a Hartke LH500 amp with a matching speaker cabinet.

Earlier this year, the sound coming through the amp started getting badly distorted at random intervals. I assumed that the amp was the problem, and unplugged it and got ready to send it back under warranty.

In the last couple of days, though, it's occurred to me that the problem might not be with my amp, but with the speakers themselves. After all, the speaker cabinet I got was a floor model, so its bound to have seen some abuse.

So, my question to you goons is, how would I go about confirming the source of the intermittent distortion on my amp?

What bass are you playing? If it has active electronics and requires a 9v battery, this exact situation usually occurs when the battery is dieing. So check there first if you have an active bass.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

These Loving Eyes posted:

Also, I'm thinking about picking up some sort of theory book on harmony, but I can't seem to find something that would meet my needs. I took a quick glance at Harmony and Voice Leading but that's maybe a too holistic approach in my situation. Added to that, I really don't excel at reading sheet music. Does any author have some sort of a learning-by-doing approach to harmony? I know most of the basic principles but I'd love to improve my compositional skills from trial and error to a more concious process.

Bite the bullet and learn to read notation because you'll open up a huge world of books and instruction. It's not too difficult - Good Boys Do Fine Always and All Cows Eat Grass, from the bottom of the staff up.

(I say this as someone who keeps telling himself I'll learn how to read, all the time but never really follows through)

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Local guy here is offering a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 with bag and mounting bracket for $400. Would mostly be used for practice at home but I like having the option and power to gig with it.

Yay or nay?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Scarf posted:

What bass are you playing? If it has active electronics and requires a 9v battery, this exact situation usually occurs when the battery is dieing. So check there first if you have an active bass.

It's an Ibanez electric 5 string with active pickups, and no, that's not the problem. Aside from the fact that I bring it to my college weekly and run it through other amps with nary a problem, the bassist in my brother's other band used that amp during practice with her Washburn with passives, and it still acts up.

Another thing I just remembered: the buzzing usually started up after I would start playing notes on the B and E strings. Cranking down the bass on my amp and my bass' EQ sometimes fixed things up, but not always. Another reason to suspect the problem lies with the speakers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

NuclearPotato posted:

Another thing I just remembered: the buzzing usually started up after I would start playing notes on the B and E strings. Cranking down the bass on my amp and my bass' EQ sometimes fixed things up, but not always. Another reason to suspect the problem lies with the speakers?

Is the amp clipping? My cab is a power-hungry monster, it has such good low-end response that I have to turn down my low frequencies to prevent it from clipping on my E and B stings from the extra power needed to reproduce those notes. Does it help if you turn down your preamp level or gain?

Also, it could be the cab. The Crate combo that I use for jazz practice is a bit of a junker, I need to sit on the front right corner of the amp if I don't want it to buzz on my lowest octave. Something could be loose on the cab. The speaker could just have a loose screw or three - if you can, check those also.

I just threw GHS tapewounds on my fretless in preparation for my uni's big band performance at Eau Claire JazzFest next Friday, and they are fantastic. It brings an upright-ish sound to the bass, while retaining the tone I sculpted with the EQ and my playing position. I'll be keeping these on for a while.