Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Bitchwhistle
Oct 28, 2007

by Lowtax

Thundarr posted:

What actually happens is that they all get horribly mixed together and produce UU/uu somehow.

That... could actually be a thing that happens. I never considered UU and uu to be troll ecto-amalgamations. But then again, they have different blood colors so it would only work for one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
As anyone could tell from my avatar I'm clearly an expert on coffee divinations. There's definitely some significance to the "weird coffee" because Hussie is beating us over the head with the stuff. 'Troll Blood' doesn't necessarily ring true to me but on the other hand, when he includes details like Karkat and Dave's reds being subtly different, it seems like the color matches could lead somewhere, no?

Silva
Aug 26, 2003

Time is the fire in which we burn
That coffee's been there for almost a year, of course it'd start looking all funky.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

piemanmoo posted:

That... could actually be a thing that happens. I never considered UU and uu to be troll ecto-amalgamations. But then again, they have different blood colors so it would only work for one of them.

We don't know their blood colors though. Also, there's a running theory that they're both the same person.

I'm not really sold on the blood coffee theory, for two reasons:

1) Realistic-looking coffee film would be really hard to pull off in Homestuck's art style, so Hussie probably over-colored it, perhaps to emphasize how long Dave was muttering to himself.
2) I can't really see it leading to anything plot-wise.

Seeing as I was an early adopter of the Future Dirk and Roxy theory, I think I'll play the skeptic this time.

e: whoops, looks like I don't need to

Walliard fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 16, 2012

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Official word from Halftruth's Tumblr- "the swirly colors on the coffee are indeed an oily film and nothing to do with troll blood or rainbow drinking"

so I guess we can calm down now.

Erasure
Mar 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

YggiDee posted:

Official word from Halftruth's Tumblr- "the swirly colors on the coffee are indeed an oily film and nothing to do with troll blood or rainbow drinking"

so I guess we can calm down now.

Why were they mentioned in the dialog then? How could oil coffee be significant?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Halftruth is Hussie's girlfriend. It's word of god and not worth arguing about.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
Does discounting a really stupid theory count as calling it? Cause if so, called it :colbert:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The oil happens because the coffee is made from Shale Imp squeezin's.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Erasure posted:

Why were they mentioned in the dialog then? How could oil coffee be significant?
As a not crazy person said, it could be anything (except blood). It's something just not Dracula juice.
fake edit: literally none of my theories have ever been right :saddowns:

Erasure
Mar 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Factory Factory posted:

The oil happens because the coffee is made from Shale Imp squeezin's.

:yum:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Squeezin's is a word that doesn't get nearly enough use these days.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Halftruth is Hussie's girlfriend. It's word of god and not worth arguing about.

She basically functions as the MSPA press secretary, it seems.

Or perhaps the MSPA ambassador to the People's Republic of Tumblr.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Just in case anyone is missing this fact: coffee does actually form a rainbow coloured unctious film.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Fagtastic posted:

Just in case anyone is missing this fact: coffee does actually form a rainbow coloured unctious film.
I swear I'm the going to leave a cup of coffee out over this

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rose posted:

ROSE: The fully matured battlefield from our session can be used to make the new one viable. The path to success will be made possible by a combination of efforts and assets from both iterations.

Well, that's quite the early wrench in their plans, unless the B2 Skaia just doesn't matter.

Also: we now know precisely how far in the future Roxy and Dirk are. Very, very far.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Dang, I thought I was going to be the one to point out an update for once. I'm only even awake because I had a really hosed up nightmare and need to distract myself for a while before going back to bed. Don't you people have jobs?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

413 years is not many years, given the context.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Geez, you guys, if it had been tea all that would have happened is we'd have spent a page or so laughing at the Douglas Adams reference.

Bongo Bill posted:

413 years is not many years, given the context.
Does kind of make Mom and Bro more like Great-Great-Great-...Great Grandmom and Uncle, though.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 16, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

This update made me realize that Roxy actually thinks Jane and Jake's old-timey slang is how people talked in the 21st century.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Doesn't saying they got there four centuries ahead of everyone else imply that it was four centuries before everyone else? Maybe that should be worded differently. (:goonsay:)

e: also, I just realized that when Dirk said antediluvian he was speaking literally

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So Jack's running hell to breakfast from PM, and Mssr. English is camped out in Casa De Hussie running up long distance charges on his phone and cleaning out the fridge.

we're running out of dudes that could be out killing the horrorterrors here.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Jack being chased by PM looks hilarious. And extra hilarious when we realize they're going to be playing a game of flying cat-and-mouse for three years. If Jack dies any time soon, at least it won't be from boredom during the flight.

Anyway, most of this update seems to be the "And now to spell it out so the less clever readers understand too" segment. On the other hand, this is implying that maybe we're about to see the kid's thoughts on meeting young versions of their parents, which could be interesting.

Rykert
Mar 13, 2010
So how exactly do Roxy and Dirk have any sort of familial connection/identification with their guardians if they are four hundred years in the future? Am I missing something obvious or is this still unexplained? (Or am I a stupid doo doo head)

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Rykert posted:

So how exactly do Roxy and Dirk have any sort of familial connection/identification with their guardians if they are four hundred years in the future? Am I missing something obvious or is this still unexplained? (Or am I a stupid doo doo head)

Well, we do know that the older Rose had VISION OMNIFOLD, and if we take what Roxy said as true, she seems to have used that to be something approaching a parent to Roxy despite having died four centuries earlier. In hindsight, it seems really likely that the older Dave inherited a bit of Time as well, and used it in much the same way; Roxy and Dirk's guardians are always referred to with exactly the same sorts of phrases, by Roxy and Dirk and Hussie alike.

Aside from that, they also probably have something very much like the relationship some of the trolls had with their Ancestors.

EDIT: oh and also they're living out of their Ancestors' houses, so that's another thing.

Iny fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 16, 2012

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Am I the only one who thought it was interesting to learn exactly how the Scratch operates within the confines of the game? And to get confirmation that the alpha kids really are the babies spawned by John in the original session.

Seoinin posted:

we're running out of dudes that could be out killing the horrorterrors here.

It's Eridan.

All of them.

All of the Eridans.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, Mom-Rose probably predicted her own death in some way, and then took action:

A) Set up a bunch of future-notes that Roxy would find in order, guiding her in life.
B) Set up some sort of robo-guardian
C) Set up some sort of alien-invasion bomb shelter / cryo-facility to sleep until her 'daughter' lands.

(A) wouldn't explain how a newborn baby left alone would survive, but would probably be the most Hussie-like.

Random extra silly/ :smith: speculation: The reason Roxy keeps getting alcohol from her 'mom' is that all the fresh water has been salinated to suit the Troll Queen and alcohol is the only source of sterile hydration she can find.

edit: the relevant quote:

quote:

GG: Tsk. What would your mother have to say if she caught you?
TG: p sure she wouldnt give a poo poo
TG: i mean
TG: shes the one who stocked thegod drat liquor cabinets in the firts place
TG: i dont even think she ever had a drop in her life probably
TG: so why else is she puttin it there it was like
TG: a passive aggrassive dare for me
TG: *aggressive
TG: jut the sort of mind game she would play

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 16, 2012

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, Mom-Rose probably predicted her own death in some way, and then took action:

A) Set up a bunch of future-notes that Roxy would find in order, guiding her in life.
B) Set up some sort of robo-guardian
C) Set up some sort of alien-invasion bomb shelter / cryo-facility to sleep until her 'daughter' lands.

(A) wouldn't explain how a newborn baby left alone would survive, but would probably be the most Hussie-like.

Random extra silly/ :smith: speculation: The reason Roxy keeps getting alcohol from her 'mom' is that all the fresh water has been salinated to suit the Troll Queen and alcohol is the only source of sterile hydration she can find.

edit: the relevant quote:

Also the notes come off as really passive aggressive, but when Rose writes "Please remember to flush the toilet this time" it's because she used her vision omnifold to see that you would not remember to flush the toilet.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Midnight Raider posted:

Anyway, most of this update seems to be the "And now to spell it out so the less clever readers understand too" segment. On the other hand, this is implying that maybe we're about to see the kid's thoughts on meeting young versions of their parents, which could be interesting.

Dave posted:

DAVE: so
DAVE: uh
DAVE: in this alt universe group of us and
DAVE: them
DAVE: which ones are the actual players

Whenever Dave starts speaking or typing one word per line, he's getting wierded out by something. It's clear in this last page that he's seriously apprehensive about meeting his Bro again.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

A good poster posted:

Whenever Dave starts speaking or typing one word per line, he's getting wierded out by something. It's clear in this last page that he's seriously apprehensive about meeting his Bro again.

Man, he was just so psyched to be meeting another non-doomed Dave.

Oh well, there's still Davesprite.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Confirming a lot of theories to be true. Also that you don't need a reckoning to actually go through portals, which provides a nice potential explanation for Gcat too and why he wasn't in the first universe.

How can Dirk have any memories of his bro? :raise:

Guess we'll find out if the "Jack's Red Miles are coming" theory was true or not soon enough...

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yeah, this has cleared up some lingering questions.

And raised more! If everyone seems to be conspiring to make the session ready to proceed, why would that be? Let me just :tinfoil: a bit here: they'll have to actually not finish the game, instead just sort of building up civilization in the void session (or perhaps on Earth if the Red Miles don't get there first). Which is where UU and uu are sitting.

...okay, probably not; that might be a bit too silly. It's even possible that this is entirely the Condesce doing her job wrong for one reason or another. (Remember how she claimed to have kept B1 Jane and Jake apart for the purpose of preventing Jade and John? If that really was what she was trying to do - which isn't necessarily the case - she was severely missing the point.) We don't know what Lord English's purposes for this session are and we don't know how she's getting her orders, nor what her own motives are.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
That diagram is a godsend. I understand it all now. It feels like the information is peeling off the screen and draining into my eyes.

But I had no idea that Dirk and Roxy lived hundreds of years into the future. Guess I haven't been paying enough attention.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
We only got any solid evidence of it in the last flash. Don't feel bad. v:shobon:v

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Factory Factory posted:

We only got any solid evidence of it in the last flash. Don't feel bad. v:shobon:v

To be more precise, the flash told us they lived in the future, but not how far. But I suppose 413 years would have been a reasonable guess.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

I like that we're actually seeing the kids try to work this stuff out. It seems like we don't see that very often! I mean, sure, even they know that Homestuck is a giant puzzle made out of many smaller puzzles each of which are made out of several more puzzles we didn't even notice the first time around. But the moment one of the kids notices something strange, the viewpoint tends to shift away abruptly just to mess with us, and then stubbornly refuses to go back to them until they've come to a conclusion and explained it to someone we're not dodging.

Homestuck does this sort of thing a lot, actually: showing us just enough that we can know how something will happen... and then moving on to something else entirely rather than actually showing it.

It's an interesting narrative technique. I don't think I've seen it very often elsewhere. Certainly not to this extent.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Is this evidence enough for you now, Dolash? ;)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think this also indirectly addresses the "glitch" that Doc Scratch talked about regarding the troll universe, and why it doesn't seem to be applicable here. In A1, the trolls went through portals from a session that had yet to exist. A clear break in causality. In B2, while Jane and company will not ectobiologically create themselves and thus not originate from their own session, theirs is a linear and relatively "simple" cause-effect relationship between where they did come from and where they arrived. They do have an origination that spawned them, one that has already happened thanks to the B1 universe. Thus even though their current void session will not spawn them, it is not the same as the Lord English Glitch because they do have a point of origin in their "past". Nothing needs to happen for them to complete that loop, as it has already occurred. This wasn't the case for the A1 trolls.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Regy Rusty posted:

Is this evidence enough for you now, Dolash? ;)

Yes. This is what I was waiting for. I am satisfied that this theory is sufficiently confirmed.

Although if it later turned out that Rose was wrong and was just engaged in the same speculation as we here had been engaged in (she won't be) it'd be hilarious. But nah here's the exposition to confirm that this possible explanation is the correct one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
OK, I finally caught up in Homestuck. I loving love this thing. Now for a dumb question:

Since there are usually multiple updates in a day, how do you have a 'bookmark' that's going to be the current page you're on, without changing it every time? I've been most recently using the archive/log page to see what the last one I've viewed on this computer is.

Also, I'm glad that while this thread moves very fast, it's mostly probably poo poo like discussion whether or not the coffee machine is really pouring troll blood for a two+ page swath of posts, which never crossed my mind, and should make following it now a lot easier :)