Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

explosivo posted:

Crossposting this from the Tablets thread, I need a way to view an image on my Kindle running CM9 in full screen on ICS without the notification bar visible at all, is that something I can do? I tried to do this, but it hosed up my Kindle and I had to restore from a backup to get it running again.

I don't have my tab handy, but I would think you can change your launcher to one that lets you hide the notification bar. I have not played with that yet to see if its possible in ICS..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Good idea, but no, even Launcher Pro's "Disable Notification Bar" option doesn't do anything. With some Googling it looks like removing the notification bar in ICS is really difficult.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
More than a few GNex roms have options to toggle the nav bar. I imagine it's only a matter of time before that option starts finding its way into other roms.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

1. Should I worry about flashing to yakju?
2. Is getting on 4.02/4.03/4.04 something I should worry about?
3. How do I get root?
4. Anything else I should do?
5. How come new gadgets are so fun to have?
1. Nope, follow the instructions I linked earlier in the thread (and the guy with the unicorn avatar linked to me). Search my posts here and I think in the phone thread. Remember, it wipes internal storage too.

2. The current yakju build is 4.0.2.

3. I used Paul O'Brien's Superboot which I linked on the previous page.

4. I really like Nova Launcher. Also Volume+ is pretty much needed to make the speaker loud enough to hear and LightFlow will let you control the color of the notification LED.

5. We're whores of consumer culture.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ung, well my uneeded flash also fixed me lack of wi-fi not working. But only for like 5 minutes. Anyone on G2 having wifi issues? CM 7.1

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

LastInLine posted:

5. We're whores of consumer culture.

Gadgets fill, what I call, my God hole. Also booze and sex fill my God hole. It's a pretty kick rear end hole.

I'm so empty inside :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just backed up my CM9 rom and flashed CM7 to do what I need to do then I'll go back when I'm done. CM7 on the Kindle sucks, by the way, drat..

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

TheReverend posted:

Ung, well my uneeded flash also fixed me lack of wi-fi not working. But only for like 5 minutes. Anyone on G2 having wifi issues? CM 7.1

Can you elaborate on this a bit? Have you ever tried flashing a new radio? Are you using any sort of kernel replacements?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

stuff

Thanks, you've been carrying me through my "advanced" Android projects for years.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Slopehead posted:

Can you elaborate on this a bit? Have you ever tried flashing a new radio? Are you using any sort of kernel replacements?

I had GPS issues a while back, so I flashed the newest T-Mo USA radio. I have no kernel replacements.

I guess I could reflash the radio and see what happens.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TheReverend posted:

Slopehead posted:

I have a buddy who uses a G2 and I recently updated him to CM 7.1 from CM6. Now it's been a while and I don't remember the specifics but I do know in researching I came across a lot of weirdness if you didn't use the right radios and wipe the /efs data in between. This sounds like the kind of problem I read about but never encountered and I'm sorry I can't be more specific but if you dig around on xda enough you'll find what I'm talking about.

Thermopyle posted:

Thanks, you've been carrying me through my "advanced" Android projects for years.
Standing on the shoulders of giants, I assure you; Casao pretty much walked me through everything I did on the Nexus One.

I figure it's the least I can do for someone who provides the Google+ feed that you do although if you really want to thank me, write that podcast app that Woofi was supposed to be a warm-up for. :v:

Edit: Now that I'm home from work I went ahead and found the guide for switching to yakju. You'll find it to be comprehensive. For convenience, here's the link and instructions for using Superboot. Again, you'll find it to be quite simple. Here is Volume+ and Light Flow. As to Volume+, I use it instead of the inbuilt EQ as it allows for different profiles for different outputs and use +10 for volume. With Light Flow be aware that it usurps all notification settings so be sure you reset your preferences for all controlled apps within Light Flow or else you may find notification sounds not coming through. I didn't get the pay versions of either because I expect CM9 will end up eliminating the need for both.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 16, 2012

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is GPS functionality totally broken on an Evo 4G running CM7, because it definitely doesn't work on my girlfriends phone? :shobon:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eightysixed posted:

Is GPS functionality totally broken on an Evo 4G running CM7, because it definitely doesn't work on my girlfriends phone? :shobon:
I'm pretty sure you need to flash a Sense ROM to fix it but hopefully an Evo owner can give you the details.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

eightysixed posted:

I was an EVO 4g owner, so this may have changed since I got rid of it (~2-3 months ago), but CM7's GPS on the EVO was always iffy.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I have a buddy who uses a G2 and I recently updated him to CM 7.1 from CM6. Now it's been a while and I don't remember the specifics but I do know in researching I came across a lot of weirdness if you didn't use the right radios and wipe the /efs data in between. This sounds like the kind of problem I read about but never encountered and I'm sorry I can't be more specific but if you dig around on xda enough you'll find what I'm talking about.

Yeah I originally did all the efs wiping and radio messing because of shoddy GPS. GPS works most of the time now. I can force it to work (if it isn't working) by turning gps off and then back on. I just found out that I can get wifi to work if I do it through a widget. System->Settings->Wireless Networks doesn't seem to do anything.

Oh well.
I'll be changing carriers soon anyways because I'm moving.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

eightysixed posted:

I had to do a workaround to get it running on mine that involved flashing a sense rom (like LastInLine said), but theres this that looks like it'll get it working without needing to do that stuff, just flashing a couple .zips. It works perfectly on my phone after fixing it, by the way. Nothing iffy about it. Good luck!

Edit: Looks like you should go here, scroll to the bottom and flash that instead. It's a newer driver that works better apparently.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 16, 2012

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

explosivo posted:

Edit: Looks like you should go here, scroll to the bottom and flash that instead. It's a newer driver that works better apparently.

Awesome. I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks! :)

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Is better battery stats a free app on xda-developers somewhere? Or do people actually pay for it(and I assume it's worth it if so, as I've seen it recommended a couple of times). I don't actually have battery issues, so if it's only worth it to find out what's eating battery I probably don't need it. I'm hoping it does other cool stuff, like life expected and such.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

subx posted:

Is better battery stats a free app on xda-developers somewhere? Or do people actually pay for it(and I assume it's worth it if so, as I've seen it recommended a couple of times). I don't actually have battery issues, so if it's only worth it to find out what's eating battery I probably don't need it. I'm hoping it does other cool stuff, like life expected and such.

Both.

Free

Paid

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

subx posted:

This thing calculates battery drain/hour by timing how long your phone goes between percentage changes. I can't really think of a situation where you would need this information.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.WazaBe.android.BatteryDrain

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Both.

Free

Paid

Awesome, thank you. I'm terrible at finding things on the xda forums.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/security-and-you

Future builds of CM9 will install with "root" turned off by default. Once enabled by the user it will operate just like current CM builds. Honestly, this is for the best and a good move on their part. Especially when you consider that people are unlocking devices for the ROM additions and not so much root only applications.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

TheReverend posted:

I just wiped my phone because I thought the market was missing.
It's called "play store" now.

I'm old, and an idiot.
Just wanted to share.

When I first flashed over to MIUI a week ago, it booted up with the old android/shopping bag Market icon on the desktop. I even used it to go to the Market and update Titanium Backup. Then at some point while I was using the phone the icon changed to that weird Google P(?) thing it is now. I thought I was going crazy since I had just seen the old Market like 10 minutes before. It wasn't until I tried to go to the market in my browser that I saw the new Play stuff and figured out what had happened. But yeah to this day I haven't heard from any source about the change, it just happened. Bad. Bad Google.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I figure it's the least I can do for someone who provides the Google+ feed that you do although if you really want to thank me, write that podcast app that Woofi was supposed to be a warm-up for. :v:

Edit: Now that I'm home from work I went ahead and found the guide for switching to yakju. You'll find it to be comprehensive. For convenience, here's the link and instructions for using Superboot. Again, you'll find it to be quite simple. Here is Volume+ and Light Flow. As to Volume+, I use it instead of the inbuilt EQ as it allows for different profiles for different outputs and use +10 for volume. With Light Flow be aware that it usurps all notification settings so be sure you reset your preferences for all controlled apps within Light Flow or else you may find notification sounds not coming through. I didn't get the pay versions of either because I expect CM9 will end up eliminating the need for both.

Thanks for all that. I'm all yakju'ed and rooted.

As far as the podcast app goes...I kind of forgot about it! The problem is that, while my plans for it go beyond what current podcast apps support, current podcast apps have gotten better since I originally started thinking about it. So..while they're 90% as good as I'd like them to be, I have a hard time getting motivated over that last 10%.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

TheReverend posted:

I had GPS issues a while back, so I flashed the newest T-Mo USA radio. I have no kernel replacements.

I guess I could reflash the radio and see what happens.

Yeah either use the latest one or the one prior. I have zero issues with the one that shipped out October of last year and I only upgraded to that because it was there.

AFAIK GPS issues are separate from the radio. You'll need to clear efs data. I believe that's the only real usage of Superwipe beyond a standard factory reset and davlik cache format when swapping out roms.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Well I have somehow messed up my asus transformer. I updated it to ICS fine, then a patch got released for ICS and applied that. With that patch I somehow lost root, I cant see the tablet when I connect it to my pc, and when I am in CWM I cannot see the SD card which has the backup images. The tablet works fine, I can boot it up and see the SD card and everything, how can I fix this? If I move the SD card backup images to the internal storage I wont be able to restore them because of where they are located right?

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.
:siren: CM7.2 RC1 IS RELEASED :siren:

quote:

7.2 adds a couple of backported features and fixes from Android 4 (ICS), over 20 new devices when compared to 7.1, and even some new features to boot (be sure to check out the new predictive contact search in the phone dialer!). We’ve also fixed some bugs along the way. Some of them device-specific, others that affected everybody, and one in particular that’s been plaguing Android for a long time: the mysteriously vanishing SD-card ringtones are no more! You can check the full list of noteworthy changes at the CHANGELOG.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BathroomTile posted:

I love how they still say that the Evo 3D has official support, but there isn't a stable ROM to download? What's the deal?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

I love how they still say that the Evo 3D has official support, but there isn't a stable ROM to download? What's the deal?

It was basically too much to ask.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Entire Universe posted:

It was basically too much to ask.

I can understand the 3D being too much work, but I never used that anyway. What else about that phone was particularly unusual?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

hooah posted:

I can understand the 3D being too much work, but I never used that anyway. What else about that phone was particularly unusual?

If I'm remembering right, other than the 3D and WiMAX, it was basically identical to the Sensation. Though I guess that's not on the list, either, so I have no idea what's going on with either of them.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Kreeblah posted:

If I'm remembering right, other than the 3D and WiMAX, it was basically identical to the Sensation. Though I guess that's not on the list, either, so I have no idea what's going on with either of them.

Kmobs essentially abandoned Sensation work. He says he'll still work on it, but he's lying, and has never had anything to show for it since a self-kang released last fall that had terrible battery drain. I wish someone else would step up to maintain the device.

ICS is enough of a pain that if a rock solid CM7 port was available, I'd use that.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Sensation and Evo 3D have semi-official support because they do have maintainers. However, when said maintainer (primarily kmobs) is a showboating jackass who never uploaded any code, you don't actually have official support.

ICS on the Sensation is alright. The official ICS builds are good, if only for the fact that interface lag is almost gone from the phone. However, it'd still be nice to see if AOSP ICS would be as quick as CM7 was. Sense on ICS isn't as quick, but a lot smoother.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Can't download it for the EVO 4G right now but I don't even know if I want to leave Decks ICS. It's smooth as heck right now and actually works except for the Camera and MMS (I believe).

I really like the stock ICS messaging app and the dialer and stuff to actually go back to CM7.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

BathroomTile posted:

Nice. Downloading at the moment. This is going to be my first actual update.

I plan on making a backup within CWM before fiddling with anything. Apart from that, is there anything I need to do like wiping cache or some weird thing?

EDIT: I'm currently running 7.1 on my SGS2.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Why does the Thunderbolt get no love in the mod scene, like, ever? I finally tried out APW and beautiful widgets, and yeah, gently caress Sense... only thing I will miss is the flashlight. Any good flashlight apps out there that would use the flash bulbs from the camera in multiple stages of brightness? Also what's the verdict on the ROMs for the thunderbolt?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Godzilla07 posted:

The Sensation and Evo 3D have semi-official support because they do have maintainers. However, when said maintainer (primarily kmobs) is a showboating jackass who never uploaded any code, you don't actually have official support.

ICS on the Sensation is alright. The official ICS builds are good, if only for the fact that interface lag is almost gone from the phone. However, it'd still be nice to see if AOSP ICS would be as quick as CM7 was. Sense on ICS isn't as quick, but a lot smoother.

I like Virtuous Inquisition on the Sensation. It kicks all kinds of rear end and looks very similar to AOSP. The only issue I've had is that it refuses to update the built-in Weather widget sometimes. A reboot fixes that.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Why does the Thunderbolt get no love in the mod scene, like, ever? I finally tried out APW and beautiful widgets, and yeah, gently caress Sense... only thing I will miss is the flashlight. Any good flashlight apps out there that would use the flash bulbs from the camera in multiple stages of brightness? Also what's the verdict on the ROMs for the thunderbolt?

Everything I've ever heard about the TBolt basically came down to Team BAMF and Team Liquid being the ones who made the phone worth a drat.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Odette posted:

Nice. Downloading at the moment. This is going to be my first actual update.

I plan on making a backup within CWM before fiddling with anything. Apart from that, is there anything I need to do like wiping cache or some weird thing?

EDIT: I'm currently running 7.1 on my SGS2.
It can't hurt to wipe the cache and Dalvik, but it's not necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

BathroomTile posted:

I saw this news and I got very excite! As quick as I could I prepared for a cwm backup, made sure I had all my settings "normal" alarm clock at normal time, radios in their default state, apps updated. CWM done. Made a pen and paper list of changes I'd made to /system that I'd have to re-do after the flash. Now I'm waiting for another 70 minutes for the download to finish. Thanks, Nerds.

edit: yay found a mirror for htc ace posted on xda, done in under 2 minutes and the md5 matches. Thanks nerds!

edit: again, screen rotate effect is pretty cool, and just as smooth as on hw accel'ed ics roms.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 19, 2012