Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Normally I cant stand Greg Proops, but props for calling out the lovely audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Bad audience and unfunny Proops makes this one skipable.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Golbez posted:

But wasn't Proops complaining the whole time that the audience sucked? The people on stage don't need mics to hear the crowd...

Proops always blames the audience when one of his jokes bombs or flies over everyone's heads. I like him and think he was alright here, but it's one of his more annoying traits.

On another topic, I think this is the first time I've heard Adomians real voice, and it's not at all what I expected.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Maduo posted:

Proops always blames the audience when one of his jokes bombs or flies over everyone's heads. I like him and think he was alright here, but it's one of his more annoying traits.

On another topic, I think this is the first time I've heard Adomians real voice, and it's not at all what I expected.

Him bringing out Huell Howser made me happier than I had any business being.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
If you want more Adomian-as-Adomian, he's back on Todd Glass today.

Also I guess yesterday's ep was our weekly ep, but oh well it was a pretty long one and I enjoyed it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

More build-a-title pedantry, but Wrath of Khan/Con Air really shouldn't have been approved :eng99:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mierenneuker posted:

More build-a-title pedantry, but Wrath of Khan/Con Air really shouldn't have been approved :eng99:

Yeah it should have. It's all based on how it sounds, which he mentions in the episode.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Radio = how it sounds.
Text = how it reads.

Wrath of Khan/Con Air is perfectly fine for radio but not text. Some Like It Hot/The Others is fine for text (Some Like It Hothers) but not for radio, since Hot and Oth have different sounds.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Oh, I wasn't talking about the spelling, I was basing it on pronunciation. Having listened to the segment again, it's probably an accent thing.

Edit: seems like it is. Phonetics wankery ahoy!
Khan
IPA: /kɑːn/
Con
(US) IPA: /kan/
(UK) IPA: /kɒn/

Edit 2: if we really go into vowel sounds the whole game probably falls apart anyway. Feel free to just ignore these last 2 posts of mine.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 16, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Mierenneuker posted:

Khan
IPA: /kɑɑɑɑɑɑɑɑɑɑɑːn/

Better.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I love any episode where somebody gets mad at the crowd.

And I had Antz in negative 2 names. :smug:

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Mierenneuker posted:

Oh, I wasn't talking about the spelling, I was basing it on pronunciation. Having listened to the segment again, it's probably an accent thing.

Edit: seems like it is. Phonetics wankery ahoy!
Khan
IPA: /kɑːn/
Con
(US) IPA: /kan/
(UK) IPA: /kɒn/

Edit 2: if we really go into vowel sounds the whole game probably falls apart anyway. Feel free to just ignore these last 2 posts of mine.

Doug is from San Diego. The cot-caught merger is fully in effect out here. "Con" and "khan" are homophonous.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
I bought that recent Benson interruption episode, and it starts slow but the back end is loving hilarious.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Is it only me who goes crazy when the guests don't see the next build-a-title when it's SO OBVIOUS?

E.T. the Extraterrest-Real Steel.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Is it only me who goes crazy when the guests don't see the next build-a-title when it's SO OBVIOUS?

E.T. the Extraterrest-Real Steel.

That doesn't work. "tri-al" does not sound like "real"

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
While I feel like I have a grasp of just how specific Doug is with Build-A-Title choices I think success has just as much to do with how drunk and/or high Doug is at the time, combined with audience reaction, as it does with his criteria for the game.

But I guess you could make that arguement for any and all of the podcast, so as long as it keeps the bit going I'm down for cramming nearly anything together that works.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

You're crazy if you're saying tri(like eye)-al(Bundy)? Tree-ill y'all.

e: I think I had ET: The ExtraterrestrIllusionist when I was listening.

ee: Number of syllables my butt. Crop the end out of anybody saying ET and you get a clear as day 'real'

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 21, 2012

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

FitFortDanga posted:

Wait just one second, you pronounce "Real Steel" with three syllables?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Wait just one second, you pronounce "Real Steel" with three syllables?

No. The end of "Terrestrial" has two syllables, "real" has one. That's why he's saying it wouldn't fit.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

Real can have one or two syllables depending on your accent.

But the accent they have to go by is high Doug Benson.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 20, 2012

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

LesterGroans posted:

No. The end of "Terrestrial" has two syllables, "real" has one. That's why he's saying it wouldn't fit.
Real can have one or two syllables depending on your accent.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Teenage Fansub posted:

You're crazy if you're saying tri(like eye)-al(Bundy)? Tree-ill y'all.

Yes, "tree-ill". This...

LesterGroans posted:

... is what I meant. At best it's a stretch, hardly "SO OBVIOUS".

Also, if you "go crazy" over anything that happens in Build-a-Title, you're way too emotionally invested in a silly game on a comedy podcast.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I don't even like Build the Title, its boring. Give me more banter and Leonard Maltin quiz.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Davincie posted:

I don't even like Build the Title, its boring. Give me more banter and Leonard Maltin quiz.

Yeah, it's a fun game to play with people in your living room, but it kind of kills the show more than it helps it. The guests usually don't care much and it seems to annoy the audience when they miss obvious ones.

That being said I liked it in that episode. It was impressive and had some momentum.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Davincie posted:

Seriously I love DLM but I really don't like Build A Title and I hate that he made it a normal thing.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Seriously I love DLM but I really don't like Build A Title and I hate that he made it a normal thing.

I think Doug has said he's sick of people saying Doug Loves Movies barely features any movie talk.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I'm sick of podcasters being thin-skinned and changing their shows for a vocal, but narrow, slice of the audience that complain about things that don't matter. I have to assume part of it is trying to keep their metrics up in iTunes' absurd and mysterious ranking system, but I suspect some of it is the pathological need for acceptance comedians seem to have. I've noticed on several different podcasts now comedians taking comments about their shows absurdly personally.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Lemmi Caution posted:

I'm sick of podcasters being thin-skinned and changing their shows for a vocal, but narrow, slice of the audience that complain about things that don't matter. I have to assume part of it is trying to keep their metrics up in iTunes' absurd and mysterious ranking system, but I suspect some of it is the pathological need for acceptance comedians seem to have. I've noticed on several different podcasts now comedians taking comments about their shows absurdly personally.

The negative comments are kind of like being heckled in a club, but without the chance of destroying the heckler in front of everyone in the room.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
I wouldn't mind it if build-a-title was trotted out every now and then, but when it has to be explained every week to people who don't give a poo poo it's a bit tiresome.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It worked best between two people in the car/hotel episodes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

It worked best between two people in the car/hotel episodes.

Yeah, Because you CAN'T play Leonard Maltin with 2 people. If you can, why bother with the game that's kind of boring and doesn't give as many opportunities to crack jokes? (Other than the Haha I made up a movie joke)

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I feel like the minority, but I prefer the DLM as a comedy podcast "with an occasional game", I'm just fine with the only movie talk being from the Leonard Maltin game. I don't really expect really deep movie discussion anyway when the host is stoned out of his skull and 99% of his guests are fun comedians.
I really like the high-stakes championships game of course, but when it's low stakes I don't mind if they go over the rules for the fivehundreth-time, usually they spin it into something fun anyway.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Doug just plopped a new Benson Interruption.

I haven't heard much of it but from what I have heard, Scott Aukerman is co-interrupting the entire episode.

E: aaaaand he just plopped another, with Brendon Walsh co-interrupting. Crap, I haven't even finished the Aukerman one. :(

Urk! fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 30, 2012

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
That sounds crazy irritating and Scott Aukerman is really pushing his luck.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
gaah I still haven't heard the two TBIs or the DLM from Friday, and Doug decides to plop another free DLM! It's a full length ep, but it's in a hotel room. Band Sleeper Agent and Graham Elwood guest.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

plastered quack posted:

gaah I still haven't heard the two TBIs or the DLM from Friday, and Doug decides to plop another free DLM! It's a full length ep, but it's in a hotel room. Band Sleeper Agent and Graham Elwood guest.

Sleeper Agent already seems to have a much better grasp on the rules of Build-A-Title and Len Maltin than most of Doug's friends/regular guests.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Sleeper Agent episode was really good.
I was shocked that they knew the rules.

And their first song added to the never ending list of songs that rip of You Can't Hurry Love (ie. Lust For Life) which is always fun.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
They obviously are big fans of the show, it's great to hear how excited they are to play.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Sleeper Agent episode was really good.
I was shocked that they knew the rules.

they probably saw the games on the Weezer cruise

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Saw Doug and Graham yesterday at 4:20 in Madison. Amazing show. Doug was the most stoned I've ever seen him (at the start he said he was a 7.4... out of 7.4. Later he upped it to 7.5), to the point that he even forgot to do the shitheads at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Golbez posted:

Saw Doug and Graham yesterday at 4:20 in Madison. Amazing show. Doug was the most stoned I've ever seen him (at the start he said he was a 7.4... out of 7.4. Later he upped it to 7.5), to the point that he even forgot to do the shitheads at the end.

Uh-oh.
Was he too high or too drunk in that REALLY bad episode few months ago he later apologized for?

e: Was it a DLM we'll get as an episode?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 2, 2012

• Locked thread