Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

glug posted:

OK, I finally caught up in Homestuck. I loving love this thing. Now for a dumb question:

Since there are usually multiple updates in a day, how do you have a 'bookmark' that's going to be the current page you're on, without changing it every time? I've been most recently using the archive/log page to see what the last one I've viewed on this computer is.

two options: one, save your game. Two, just bookmark the front page and click on the newest blue link on the left side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just bookmark the home page, as it has the most recent 40 or so pages on the sidebar, so you can always see which ones you've already seen.

Or just get the MSPA notifier which yells at you whenever there's an update.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

havenwaters posted:

two options: one, save your game. Two, just bookmark the front page and click on the newest blue link on the left side.

Or use the RSS feature. Or or, if you want to be a cool dude like us, use one of the not too many MSPA notifying programs that will shower your screen in .gifs every time there is an update!

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Nice :) I don't know how I didn't notice that on the homepage, other than that I was never looking at the home page. Also, I can't go straight to the home page now without it redirecting to the latest comic. Either way, bookmarked the homepage.

I'll consider a notifier, but this thing seems to update nearly every day, and I don't know how poppin' up all over the place I want things to be at work.

Anyway, Homestuck is awesome, and I hope we get to see some pail fillin' in year 2 on that rock <3

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
I'm imagining Dave's muttering about coffee in the voice of Johnny Depp from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

glug posted:

I hope we get to see some pail fillin' in year 2 on that rock <3

bube no

their kidc

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Unsupervised kids. Which is to say, kids who are very unlikely to even be looking at cleaning utensils of any sort, let alone using them.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
FWIW it looks like the alpha players are 16, and the beta players should be 16 as well when they get there. Like this transitional period between windows coincides with the rest of the puberty they all entered as they entered the game. Also, 16 is a perfectly reasonable age for repopulating fresh planets in new universes, and we already have shipping charts and devious plans toward that end.

I laughed my rear end off when Jade whipped out a Bucket for John to put his poster in, and the following images.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

glug posted:

FWIW it looks like the alpha players are 16, and the beta players should be 16 as well when they get there. Like this transitional period between windows coincides with the rest of the puberty they all entered as they entered the game. Also, 16 is a perfectly reasonable age for repopulating fresh planets in new universes, and we already have shipping charts and devious plans toward that end.

I laughed my rear end off when Jade whipped out a Bucket for John to put his poster in, and the following images.

Pretty sure they're all between 15 and 16, which means that since our original protagonists were all between 12 and 13 when they started, they'll get there when they are roughly the same age. They'll be the same age at that point as the B2 kids because they are outside the 'universe' that includes the session, so they can intersect the session's timeline at any point.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I noticed that B1/B2 knob, but also, the game Beta was the first one played, and the Alpha is being played now. The words alpha and beta get tossed around a lot in different contexts in the game, but I'm starting to think there will be an actual 'release' of the sburg/sgrub game for a third and final universe session to take place in that's the 'real' winning game. Hussie plans to drag this whole thing on for about 10 years and then have Bob Newhart finally just wake up.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

The only issue there is that, in game development terms, an alpha is usually a much earlier and buggier version of the project than a beta. Of course, this is Homestuck, so maybe it's been reversed, but when I saw that Sburb was an alpha in the scratched universe, I took that to be a sign it was much rougher than the beta from the old universe. And given how hosed up the session is, this seems to correlate pretty well.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

How can Dirk have any memories of his bro? :raise:

Does he? I figured that troll society was ingrained enough that Roxy and Dirk think of Mom/Bro the same way trolls think of their ancestors. Thats why they said Jane and Jake wouldnt understand why the people they consider their guardians are dead.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Bobulus posted:

Random extra silly/ :smith: speculation: The reason Roxy keeps getting alcohol from her 'mom' is that all the fresh water has been salinated to suit the Troll Queen and alcohol is the only source of sterile hydration she can find.

Pretty sure your body loses more fluids processing the alcohol than you get from drinking it, which is why you get a hangover - you're dehydrated.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

KoB posted:

Does he? I figured that troll society was ingrained enough that Roxy and Dirk think of Mom/Bro the same way trolls think of their ancestors. Thats why they said Jane and Jake wouldnt understand why the people they consider their guardians are dead.

Well, I guess that would be more or less how they see them. But the main reason they weren't talking about it much, I thought, was that Jane at least pretty much wasn't buying the whole "we're talking to you from centuries in the future, in which Betty Crocker rules the world, which is also mostly underwater now" deal.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Maybe she packed it all in there as a disinfectant, foreseeing a shortage of medical supplies. Or just that Roxy is a lush, and thus would need booze-- a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

KoB posted:

I've actually been thinking about this a bit - is it possible that none of the four post-scratch kids know that there's a massive timesplit between the two? It'd explain why Roxy's incredulous that Jane won't believe her about her mom - and while "time difference" is an obvious answer to us, even now, it's possible that it may not have occurred to Roxy or Dirk that, yeah, their two friends are 400 years behind them. (It definitely doesn't seem to apply to Jake or Jane)

Maybe this is obvious to everyone else, but it sorta struck me while out walking that it'd explain a lot of the dramatics. Dirk might know - he got the robot back in time to Jake, though his sendifier might just have it auto-programmed? Same for Roxy's appearifier. There's no real evidence that either of the Derse kids know what the hell's going on either, and if their chat clients work across time automatically, there's no reason they -would- know. I dunno, it just struck me as seeming off.

EDIT: I mean, they've tried to say Betty Crocker was evil, but it's entirely possible they never really stated how they know. Doesn't seem like they ever really covered that, because otherwise Jane would probably have had to evaluate a lot further at the point where she decided to trust Roxy for a day.

My gutcheck is if anyone knows of the timesplit, it's Dirk, but I don't quite know whether or not he actually does.

Torokasi fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 16, 2012

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I think Roxy/Dirk know, and the others are having trouble believing that their IM buddies are from hundreds of years in the future, with synched communication and a plant to all enter a video game together and meet in a synched time frame, and also, talking to aliens. Well, Jake might be on top of it. But Jake is that cool.

edit: almost like how the beta kids would not believe the trolls were anything other than 'trolls'. It's like Dirk/Roxy are trolling their buddies a bit, even though they aren't.

Also I really get the feeling that there's a lot of aspects of the different trolls that are merged into the alpha kids in some way. There's mannerisms and hints and whatnot. Or I just read too much of homestuck too fast, and it's all a big mental melting pot :)

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Well, there is no pesterlog between Roxy and Dirk where one of them flat out says "hey too bad they are so far in the past" or something - but I think they almost certainly know.

Take this bit, for instance:

quote:

TG: do u know how misrable it is for your bff to doubt you
TG: when you tell her your mom is dead
TT: I guess.
TT: It just registers for me as a reaction which isn't completely unreasonable from her perspective.
TT: She is inundated with media coverage of those whom we've claimed as our parental figures.
TT: That they are not presently alive nor ever played that role for us as she understands it is just an extension of a much more elaborate and far reaching explanation, which is much harder for anyone to digest in its entirety.

That wouldn't seem to make a lot of sense if Dirk didn't know that Jane's in the past, before their deaths.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I'm still wondering how Roxy, Dirk, and Jake were raised without any sort of humanoid guardians. Hell, I'm still wondering how Jade was raised, since I thought it was questionable enough that it turned out that Granpa died when she was a toddler and then only had a dog to teach her how to talk and take care of herself, become a science genius, etc. And at least Jade had a magic dog and early access to the people of Prospit, which at least offers some possibilities, which so far Roxy, Dirk, and Jake seem to lack. (Dirk woke up earlier on Derse, but he was pretending to be asleep so he didn't have much real interaction with the people there.)

And on a random note I just thought of, I wonder if GCat is going to make it to the session. It was shown that Bec wasn't capable of transporting there on his own, so unless they leave GCat behind, he'd have to catch a ride in with one of the players, albiet thankfully not as a sprite this time. Although given that he's still around on Earth in the future to interact with Roxy and Dirk, that means that if he does get in, it's probably with one of them, unless he's capable of stowing away with the Condesce assuming she goes later. (Unless how the Condesce got to Earth in the first place was being exiled from the game.)

Torokasi posted:

I've actually been thinking about this a bit - is it possible that none of the four post-scratch kids know that there's a massive timesplit between the two? It'd explain why Roxy's incredulous that Jane won't believe her about her mom - and while "time difference" is an obvious answer to us, even now, it's possible that it may not have occurred to Roxy or Dirk that, yeah, their two friends are 400 years behind them. (It definitely doesn't seem to apply to Jake or Jane)

In addition to the above, both Roxy AND Dirk have been appearifying/sendificating things to the past, as well as having access to the internet, and talking with Jane and Jake would quickly establish that the two kids are living in a place where the earth isn't covered in water and ruled by an evil alien sea queen. Anything involving politics, pop culture, media, being able to walk to school instead of taking a raft and being prodded by robots with pitchforks would pretty much be big tip-off points.

Erasure
Mar 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So does this mean Jack Noir and his cronies were working against the condesce the whole time?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Midnight Raider posted:

And on a random note I just thought of, I wonder if GCat is going to make it to the session. It was shown that Bec wasn't capable of transporting there on his own, so unless they leave GCat behind, he'd have to catch a ride in with one of the players, albiet thankfully not as a sprite this time. Although given that he's still around on Earth in the future to interact with Roxy and Dirk, that means that if he does get in, it's probably with one of them, unless he's capable of stowing away with the Condesce assuming she goes later. (Unless how the Condesce got to Earth in the first place was being exiled from the game.)

I don't think he's getting prototyped in a void session, and that was the big problem beforehand. But I'm pretty sure GCat is Bec, and I'm wondering if it's Skaia as well. It definitely did nothing so far but interfere to force the conditions that were necessary for this session, even so much as to force !Jade's entry to skip the prototyping of her dead poppop. His job in this session might just be to interfere with everything up until everyone is inside, since it seems like Other Forces are trying to stop the session from happening, or at least happening the 'right' way, both inside the not-yet session and on Earth.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Erasure posted:

So does this mean Jack Noir and his cronies were working against the condesce the whole time?

No, Jack seems to be happy enough with working for her. The question really is what the Condesce is trying to actually accomplish and why, and we can't really say anything definite there because we know so little about her own agenda, her orders from Lord English, or how she receives/received those orders. There are lots of open questions there.

Could be that the A2 and B1 players showing up with their own battlefield will somehow play right into Lord English's purposes (or he thinks it will), could be that the Condesce has a very warped and incomplete picture of the situation, could be any number of things. I already mentioned this earlier, but if her "confession" to B1 Jane - as related by Nannasprite - was accurate, she seems to have had little idea what she was doing in B1, as keeping Jane and Jake apart did absolutely nothing to prevent Jade and John.

(Of course, maybe she got to B1 after getting kicked out of B2 with Jade and John's help. See above re: lots of open questions.)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Can I just say that CD is the best? Because he is. The best, that is.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So the Condesce is preventing any of the Alpha Kids from prototyping, and also destroying the battlefield? Both things that would seem to benefit the Beta Kids.

Seem to being the important thing here. She's under the control of Scratch/Lord English, so anything she does should be treated with suspicion.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bongo Bill posted:

Can I just say that CD is the best? Because he is. The best, that is.
He's so dumb but in a bizarre way he actually gets so much stuff done.

Mostly explosion-related stuff.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Slime posted:

So the Condesce is preventing any of the Alpha Kids from prototyping, and also destroying the battlefield? Both things that would seem to benefit the Beta Kids.

Seem to being the important thing here. She's under the control of Scratch/Lord English, so anything she does should be treated with suspicion.
Or she wants to guarantee a fresh new universe will be created so she can rebuild her empire. what a coincidence, there's someone who knows the ins and outs of matriorbs inbound.

zoinks Jade, mean ol' miss Condesce has kidnapped Kanaya. fire up the mystery machine, we've got a case to solve.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Seoinin posted:

Or she wants to guarantee a fresh new universe will be created so she can rebuild her empire. what a coincidence, there's someone who knows the ins and outs of matriorbs inbound.

zoinks Jade, mean ol' miss Condesce has kidnapped Kanaya. fire up the mystery machine, we've got a case to solve.

Let's pull of her mask, gang! Jinkies, it was old man Scratch after all!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

You know what just occurred to me? Courtyard Droll is the only one of the agents in the new universe who's actually managed to do anything successful. :stare:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Color Printer posted:

You know what just occurred to me? Courtyard Droll is the only one of the agents in the new universe who's actually managed to do anything successful. :stare:

You tryin to say something about CD, pal?

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Color Printer posted:

People were thinking that in the B2 universe Spades Slick would die and that diamonds Droog would be the leader of the midnight crew, however i'm holding out for the idea that CD somehow manages to take charge. Through an extensive hat wearing and explosives-heavy regimen, he will lead them to victory

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

With Hearts Boxcars dead, any further elimination pretty much renders moot the "crew" moniker, although I am curious if this is the last and latest instance of these characters we'll see. Maybe the story will end with one last fresh copy of Prospit and Derse so an instance of each character will survive.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Color Printer posted:

I think you pretty much have to reserve judgement on the nature of the word 'success' until this whole thing is over, considering for example that murdered dreamers appear to be alive again, which I assume means he failed to kill DreamJake.
Jack: Answer Dignitary.

Also, we're watching an entirely failed and doomed earth universe game session merged with another entirely doomed alternian game session to somehow, supposedly, by joining another fully doomed earth game session to create a success.

Or put another way:

CCG posted:

CCG: SO WHERE DOES THAT LEAVE US?
CCG: IF WE ARE TO TAKE SOME LESSON FROM THAT, WHAT IS IT!
CCG: "TRY TO BE GREAT AND SUCCESSFUL, BUT MAYBE NOT TOOOO GREAT AND SUCCESSFUL?"
CCG: OR MAYBE DON'T TRY AT ALL IN SOME CASES! BECAUSE IF YOU DO, SOME GIANT loving SQUID IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE IS GOING TO BE LIKE, NOT SO FAST, MY HIDEOUS MONSTER PLANS BEG TO DIFFER.

Fantasy Tripe
Nov 4, 2009

Color Printer posted:

This actually makes me wonder, has Hearts Boxcars ever been successful at something? Maybe all of our "least useful Midnight Crew member" labeling has been misplaced...

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Fantasy Tripe posted:

This actually makes me wonder, has Hearts Boxcars ever been successful at something?

Eating eggs.

Fantasy Tripe
Nov 4, 2009

Rasamune posted:

Eating eggs.

Sure, after Spades bailed his cheeks out! See he can't even feed himself.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
So considering the self-origin story of how the kid's universe was created, I'm going to take a guess and say that next the kids will create paradox space itself, if it continues to follow the whole origin narrative thing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Fantasy Tripe posted:

This actually makes me wonder, has Hearts Boxcars ever been successful at something? Maybe all of our "least useful Midnight Crew member" labeling has been misplaced...

The problem is that Hearts is the Worf of the group and, like Worf, he gets chumped every time you need to prove somebody is serious poo poo.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Wow I already totally forgot this even happened. So much stuff to digest in this act.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

glug posted:

I think you pretty much have to reserve judgement on the nature of the word 'success' until this whole thing is over, considering for example that murdered dreamers appear to be alive again, which I assume means he failed to kill DreamJake.
I think that might be just because of that... Lifey Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

glug posted:

Jack: Answer Dignitary.

"The deceased child count is still sitting at zero over here" is said by DD, so he's talking about the Derse kids. Jake's dreamself is very likely quite dead (unless the Lifey Thing did something about that).