Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

THE PWNER posted:

I'm surprised with how much I ended up liking James despite the fact he looks like a loving jersey shore character. They really did a good job with him apart from the random out of place spanishisms.

I still think he totally should've had a ridiculous conversation with Cortez where they're looming over the console watching a telenovela while James gets all misty-eyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

isk posted:

Bingo. There are many flaws with Kai Leng, and this is only one of them.
I'm willing to write his out-of-nowhere-ness as "well, TIM learned a lot of cybernetic upgrade poo poo on Shepard, he turned around and did it again on somebody a bit more loyal". It's easy to forget just how loving inhuman you are by the end of ME2.

The White Dragon posted:

I still think he totally should've had a ridiculous conversation with Cortez where they're looming over the console watching a telenovela while James gets all misty-eyed.
Jesus dude, I already listen to all their conversations expecting them to start making out at any moment. That's just tempting fate!

Ryan-RB
Mar 19, 2006

If we knew the will of God, then we'd all be Gods, wouldn't we?
Started a femshep run--will my other romance back off if I tap Traynor?

AeonicVortex
Jul 31, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I'm willing to write his out-of-nowhere-ness as "well, TIM learned a lot of cybernetic upgrade poo poo on Shepard, he turned around and did it again on somebody a bit more loyal". It's easy to forget just how loving inhuman you are by the end of ME2.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before (avoiding thread for spoilers) but Kai Leng is actually from one of the Mass Effect books. He was after Anderson and Sanders.

He does come from out of no where in the game, since he's never explained too much, but not completely.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Ryan-RB posted:

Started a femshep run--will my other romance back off if I tap Traynor?

An opportunity will eventually come up to allow you to tell them that you're not interested in them anymore.

EDIT: At least it should, I didn't romance Traynor, to clarify.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Davincie posted:

Are there any good rapid fire sniper rifles (as in, not 1 shot before reloading) besides the Raptor (I think its called that?
Indra. 25 shots, fully automatic, low per-shot damage, reasonably-quick reloads (although not as quick as the Raptor - that thing's ridiculous).

It seems that the AlienWare giveaway is still ongoing (or was renewed) so if you're on PC then go check it out (warning: they're harvesting email addresses).

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Has anyone lost all the bonus powers that you've unlocked? When I open the Reassign Power Bonuses machine in Medbay, all of the bonuses I unlocked by having conversations with the crew are all gone. WTF?!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What is a good bonus power for an Infiltrator?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I like Slam but that's mostly just for rounding out my Infiltrator's skillset so I have something for Armor, something for Synthetics, and something Biotic. If only Warp or Reave were options.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I take armor piercing ammo on my infiltrator but it's because I never really liked cryo.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Warning to PS3 users.

Apparently, if your game crashes during multiplayer, there's a good chance that your setting file has been corrupted. It looks like it affects the achievements data. I was in the middle of an Insanity run and I lost all my trophy progress (it's been reset to 0/27). :( :( :( :(

Edit: I think it also wipes out the Bonus Powers that you have accumulated. I wouldn't be surprised if it also hosed up your relationship stuff as well.

mA fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 16, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
After watching my roommate play through some of Mass Effect 3, I've decided to finish what I started and play through Mass Effect 1 again.

That said, I made a Vanguard character when I really should have made a Soldier. Is there any way to copy the physical features directly so I don't have to eyeball what I just made in creating another character?

[EDIT]: Mass Effect 1 for PC/through Steam, by the way.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 16, 2012

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

OrangeGuy posted:

After watching my roommate play through some of Mass Effect 3, I've decided to finish what I started and play through Mass Effect 1 again.

That said, I made a Vanguard character when I really should have made a Soldier. Is there any way to copy the physical features directly so I don't have to eyeball what I just made in creating another character?
Vanguard is a decent pick even for ME1, but you honestly should do a adept in ME1 because the gunplay is bad and biotics are hilarious.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I've got about 3400 assets, give or take a few dozen, and the only mission I have left right now is TIM's station. Misgivings about the ending aside, how much MP will I have to do to get the best one?

(I should mention that I haven't done any MP whatsoever yet so my galactic readiness is still sitting at around 50%)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's like a totally different game, playing as an Infiltrator. Vanguards are completely loving broken, wow.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I've got about 3400 assets, give or take a few dozen, and the only mission I have left right now is TIM's station. Misgivings about the ending aside, how much MP will I have to do to get the best one?

(I should mention that I haven't done any MP whatsoever yet so my galactic readiness is still sitting at around 50%)

You're fine. Honestly, I'm not trolling or being funny here, all the endings are pretty identical so don't stress too much over it at the end.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Two Finger posted:

It's like a totally different game, playing as an Infiltrator. Vanguards are completely loving broken, wow.

Why is that?

[EDIT]: I just keep second guessing myself since I still enjoy using guns in Mass Effect 1 but also really enjoyed using a sniper rifle when landing on a planet to pick off enemy sentries at the entrance to a base before moving in. Then again, I wanted to try giving a biotic-enabled character a shot since I never toyed around with it when I first rented the game several years ago.

Granted, I am still at the very beginning of the game and it has been a few years since I played last. I can take sniper rifles as a bonus talent as a Vanguard, right? Even for now, Pistol + Marksman makes for good medium-ranged sniping whereas shotguns are always great.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 16, 2012

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My biggest problem with the writing is not the ending, which, while disappointing, was honestly pretty predictable.

My biggest problem is that not one motherfucker in the galaxy other than you and maybe a couple of humans take the threat of the reapers fully seriously.

My favorite example of this is the salarian dalatrass that tries to stop you from curing the genophage because "It would have repercussions on galactic peace for decades".
Really, lady? Are you loving serious? Are you not aware of the fact that there is a ancient race of cosmic horrors from beyond space out to murder literally every single sentient being that there is? Also, they have succeeded in doing this a unknown number of times, but at least once, against species more advanced than ourselves?
You are more worried about a bunch of krogan causing some poo poo down the road? Lady, if we live long enough to worry about krogan causing poo poo, that's a luxury problem.

Also, most people seemed pretty nonchalant about the whole "reapers are on Earth/Your homeworld murdering your friends and family and/or turning them into robot space zombies". They seemed annoyed at best - Like when Garrus points to the big god drat fireball on Palaven and goes "Yeah that's where I'm from, my dad and sisters are down there." - He then proceeds to not give a poo poo and no mention it at all the rest of the game.
Hell, the only time I remember seeing anyone display any emotion or distress over the whole thing is when you walk in on the pilot crying about his dead husband.

All in all, I really enjoyed the game - Wasn't quite as good as ME2, and the writing was pretty derpy at times, but still a really drat good game.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 16, 2012

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Geisladisk posted:

My favorite example of this is the salarian dalatrass that tries to stop you from curing the genophage because "It would have repercussions on galactic peace for decades".
Her point is valid, though. You could just as easily have tricked the Krogans and the outcome of the Reaper invasion would have been the same (or so she believed, since she didn't know about Wrex's other informant). And remember that her choice here isn't {fight Reapers || ignore Reapers}, it's {use fleet to defend Sur'Kesh || gamble fleet on a hare-brained human plan to save Earth}. It makes sense that she'd withhold aid if you do something that puts her race's survival even further into jeopardy.

quote:

[Garrus] then proceeds to not give a poo poo and no mention it at all the rest of the game.
I played a femshep with Garrus as love interest, and he definitely mentioned it several more times. I actually got kind of annoyed at trying to keep track of whose family was safe/dead/missing.

quote:

really drat good game
Yeah, I wish they weren't so resistant to modding. It would be awesome to import/remake the other games using the ME3 engine. ME1 gunplay was crap, and the whole "make the health bar a tiny thing in the corner" idea was stupid.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
Holy poo poo tali just threw herself of a cliff and the illusive man is on the citidel! Does that mean I'm near the end?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I finished the game last night and have been thinking a lot about what they could've done instead.

[snip]

It's like someone decided, well we want you to die so here are three options were you will die (or get a 10s cut scene if you play our multiplayer and farm all the war stuff).

Anyway I would have much preferred if they just turned off the reapers/told them to gently caress off for a cycle and then had a little montage of scenes based on your choices through-out all three games. It's not like it's a stretch they kinda did one just before the start of the end anyway. You wouldn't even need to pay voice talent if you're a cheap poo poo.
Going a little off-topic here, but this made me think of Planescape: Torment's ending. I always took issue with that as well, since it basically throws out both choice and morality, and forces the player to accept death, either in the form of non-existence or damnation. I've never understood why TNO cannot (try to) strike a deal with TTO to leave each other in peace. Especially for an evil-minded TNO, it makes no sense to give up his life just like that. Considering also that the issue of his amnesia-upon-death has been solved, I've never seen any obvious reasons for TTO to refuse such an offer. And such a conclusion, I think, is almost exactly what you're suggesting here: bargain with the Catalyst to withdraw the Reapers so that both the old, "ascended" life as well as the new will have a future, perhaps on the condition that there will be no more great wars between organics and synthetics.

Geisladisk posted:

My biggest problem with the writing is not the ending, which, while disappointing, was honestly pretty predictable.

[snip]

Also, most people seemed pretty nonchalant about the whole "reapers are on Earth/Your homeworld murdering your friends and family and/or turning them into robot space zombies". They seemed annoyed at best - Like when Garrus points to the big god drat fireball on Palaven and goes "Yeah that's where I'm from, my dad and sisters are down there." - He then proceeds to not give a poo poo and no mention it at all the rest of the game.
Hell, the only time I remember seeing anyone display any emotion or distress over the whole thing is when you walk in on the pilot crying about his dead husband.
I don't think this is true at all. Concerning Garrus, he brings up the family situation multiple times throughout the game, updating you on what's new (or what isn't) and being pretty agitated about it the whole time. Of course, you do have to regularly talk to him on the Normandy in-between missions to hear it all. As for everyone else, it's true perhaps that most people don't seem quite worried enough - Joker comments on this when you chat with him on the Presidium. However, later on, he also basically tells you that are people doing their best to ignore the war as much as possible out of sheer desperation. He even admits to doing the same. Walking around the Citadel after the Cerberus attack, you can hear people whimper and cry. You can also overhear conversations about how people have been affected or are being affected by the war. When it comes to people you know, it's probably important to note that they are professionals, and that not all of them have really experienced the consequences of the war yet. Allers is clearly very shocked when she hears about Bekenstein, however, and Liara is absolutely devastated after witnessing the carnage on Thessia. Hearing about Shepard's failure leaves the asari Councilor visibly confused and terrified, to the point of suddenly breaking off the call. Too little, too late, perhaps, but I don't think it's fair to say that nobody's emotional over the whole thing.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

NihilCredo posted:

The best thing about Sabotage is that it's so frontloaded, you really only need to put 1 point into it to turn turrets from "oh god why" to "hahahah you bastards are hosed". The second pip (recharge time) is also nice to have, but you can safely skip 3-6 and you'll still have a very useful power.

Sidenote: I know that the fetch quests, or more accurately their givers, may disappear as you go through Priority missions, but will that ever happen to systems and the war assets therein? Or, once a system is unlocked, will I be able to explore it at any time right up until the point-of-no-return?

I think you can go at any time, but there are some systems that won't unlock unless you activate the related quests. I locked myself out of the Ismar Frontier this way despite a nearly perfect run.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Finished the game, got the ending I wanted and left reasonably satisfied, and I'm not about to start with the I don't know why people are so upset blah blah posting, because I'm not an rear end in a top hat.
I went with the destroy Reapers ending. Maybe I misheard the Catalyst when he was giving his spiel about how I could destroy all synthetics ( as opposed to would - I didn't have subtitles on so eh ), but I figured since the Crucible had been designed over countless cycles with the singular purpose to kill the Reapers, and the Geth while having the Reaper code uploaded, weren't Reapers, they would come out ok.
Lets face it, I was there with the duty of finishing off the Reapers, and with everyone was counting on me to do so, it seemed the only solution. Control? That totally looked like a mug's game, and Synthesize?. Get out, I wasn't buying that poo poo for a second - new evolution of life? I'm no loving Pokemon, and in a game with spaceships travelling at FTL speeds and synthetic beings it still seemed like the macic mumbo jumbo solution. The Mass Effect gates blowing up? that was going to hurt, but it just implied that given ships still had FTL drives, there'd still be interstellar travel. Just localised within the stellar clusters up until the point some one figures how to rebuild Mass Effect gates.
So I destroyed the Reapers, the guys on Earth all cheer ( because I had over 7k in War Assets, and my galactic readiness has been steadily floating between 97-100% within a couple of days of the game coming out ), the Normandy was travelling between Mass Effect gates for some inexplicable reason while the Crucible went off, and it crash landed and Javik got out ( although the last time I saw him was when we charged the beam to the Citadel together ), so I guess the rest of the team made it ok, and hey Shep was still alive after the Citadel blew up.
Now I don't know that I can be bothered to rush into a NG+ replay at Insanity, but I'm reasonably happy with how everything turned out. Although perhaps the furor over the ending had lowered my expectations enough for me to let the niggling inconsistencies slide.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Huragok posted:

Holy poo poo tali just threw herself of a cliff and the illusive man is on the citidel! Does that mean I'm near the end?
There's actually still a fair bit to go.

E: Wait, have you done Thessia?

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

My biggest problem is that not one motherfucker in the galaxy other than you and maybe a couple of humans take the threat of the reapers fully seriously.

Really, lady? Are you loving serious? Are you not aware of the fact that there is a ancient race of cosmic horrors from beyond space out to murder literally every single sentient being that there is? Also, they have succeeded in doing this a unknown number of times, but at least once, against species more advanced than ourselves?
You are more worried about a bunch of krogan causing some poo poo down the road? Lady, if we live long enough to worry about krogan causing poo poo, that's a luxury problem.

All in all, I really enjoyed the game - Wasn't quite as good as ME2, and the writing was pretty derpy at times, but still a really drat good game.

The whole game is full of this nonchalant stuff. I mean when you come back to life in ME2 nobody is even that surprised by it. I guess in the future everyone is jaded as hell.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I have a question.

I have Mass Effect 2, and completed all the DLC as well. However, when I did the last mission, Garrus died. I have a save not too far from the ending(maybe an hour or two away). My options are this:

1. Go back and re-do the ME2 ending and have everyone live
2. Continue on without Garrus (not doing this)
3. Starting a new ME3 game that doesn't import my last guy.

How much cool poo poo am I going to miss if I don't import my old guy?

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's actually still a fair bit to go.

E: Wait, have you done Thessia?

Yep. Compared to other missions with less gravitas, that one seemed a bit short.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

natetimm posted:

I have a question.

I have Mass Effect 2, and completed all the DLC as well. However, when I did the last mission, Garrus died. I have a save not too far from the ending(maybe an hour or two away). My options are this:

Go back and redo the ME2 ending. You miss a lot of callbacks to 1 and 2 without an import, and a universe without Garrus isn't worth it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

natetimm posted:

I have a question.

Well Garrus won't be around for a start...

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

UnknownMercenary posted:

Go back and redo the ME2 ending. You miss a lot of callbacks to 1 and 2 without an import, and a universe without Garrus isn't worth it.

The new ending will automatically replace the old one, right?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

natetimm posted:

The new ending will automatically replace the old one, right?

You import the save file, so if you don't save over it you'll have both

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

sassassin posted:

You import the save file, so if you don't save over it you'll have both

Sweet, thanks.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah.

Losing Mordin and Thane made me misty eyed, and Tali killing herself was harsh, but I think I would just start bawling if I lost Garrus.

He is the best squadmate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Huragok posted:

Yep. Compared to other missions with less gravitas, that one seemed a bit short.

Ah, there's probably not that much left then.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Did the game ever explain why Udina is now the councilor and Anderson was a general when Anderson was a councilor in my ME2 playthrough? Just a simple "after the poo poo with the batarians, I decided to step down and get reinstated and give udina the position" sentence would have worked.

Was this ever brought up in-game?

Viridiant posted:

Yeah.

Losing Mordin and Thane made me misty eyed, and Tali killing herself was harsh, but I think I would just start bawling if I lost Garrus.

He is the best squadmate.

Stop lying, everyone knows Wrex is the best party member ever, ecspecially when he does what the krogan do best: kill giant monsters so the rest of the galaxy doesn't have to.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Geisladisk posted:

LIara is really crushed about Palaven though. But you're right, she seems to be the exception.

MrJacobs posted:

Did the game ever explain why Udina is now the councilor and Anderson was a general when Anderson was a councilor in my ME2 playthrough? Just a simple "after the poo poo with the batarians, I decided to step down and get reinstated and give udina the position" sentence would have worked.

Was this ever brought up in-game?
It's in the codex. He stepped down in one of the books.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Charlie Mopps posted:

LIara is really crushed about Palaven though. But you're right, she seems to be the exception.
May I draw your attention to my post higher up on this same page?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

natetimm posted:

I have a question.

Alternatively, just download Gibbed Save Editor and click the little box that says "Garrus Lives".

Seriously, you don't want to play ME3 without Garrus. It's just not good.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

I just want to verify, I should do all of the side missions as soon as I can, right? None of the Priority: XXXXX missions (the story line stuff) expire or cause me to lose if I take too long getting to them, correct?
So, am I right - the Priority missions never expire/fail if I do all of the side missions first instead? I remember reading about some mission regarding Wrex expiring, and you getting an e-mail about it saying it was lost, but I can't remember if it was a Priority mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Crows Turn Off posted:

So, am I right - the Priority missions never expire/fail if I do all of the side missions first instead? I remember reading about some mission regarding Wrex expiring, and you getting an e-mail about it saying it was lost, but I can't remember if it was a Priority mission.

The ones explicitly labeled "priority" do not expire. Anything else is fair game.

• Locked thread