Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Wait i thought apple were notoriously tight lipped about refresh dates. Did that change since i stopped keeping up with mac news or are those just guesses? (cept for the ipad obviously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

canada jezus posted:

Wait i thought apple were notoriously tight lipped about refresh dates. Did that change since i stopped keeping up with mac news or are those just guesses? (cept for the ipad obviously)

Never listen to any rumor you hear about Mac hardware.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Bob Morales posted:

It would also kill any consumer Thunderbolt drive purchases, and a bunch of the business ones.

Do they make RAID boxes you can connect via USB?

USB 3.0 is theoretical like.. 5 Gbps? I'd still like to see Thunderbolt make way into the mainstream.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

canada jezus posted:

Yeah, that site's countdowns (applelaunchtimer.com) get more and more accurate as the time gets closer and closer. I'm guessing it combines the 1-year refresh date with rumors about hardware to make an educated guess. It had the iPad announcement date on there spot on about a month beforehand.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

It would also kill any consumer Thunderbolt drive purchases, and a bunch of the business ones.

Do they make RAID boxes you can connect via USB?
Yeah there's RAID boxes with pretty much any connection. I'm not sure they're competitive with stuff like the Promise TB RAID (which I believe uses a PCIe RAID controller), but for consumer use there wouldn't be much reason to get a TB drive enclosure over USB 3 afaik.

Speaking of Promise and Thunderbolt, they showed off a Mac mini sized 4 drive box:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/promise-thunderbolt-storage,14937.html
(and I think some other TB stuff but I forget what)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I ran into an interesting little problem and my usual (windows) diagnosis hasn't gotten me a solution.

I just got a 2560x1440 monitor and displayport --> dual link dvi adapter (monoprice, requires USB for power). When I plug in the adapter, my wifi doesn't work any more. It still says I'm connected to the network, but there is no longer an internet connection. As soon as I unplug the USB, the internet starts to work again.

I've got a 2011 Macbook air and it happens in both of the USB ports.

e: Problem solved: Changed channels my router was broadcasting on. Guess the displayport adapter was putting out too much interference or something.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 14, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Try slapping a ferrite core onto the cord, they're supposed to soak up any interference being generated by the cable.. preferably closer to the MDP port..

Edit: Technically you're supposed to calculate stuff like voltage used, resistivity of the cable, how many windings you put on the core, etc. but if you can find an old one from another cable or just order one or two from Amazon (they're below $10) that might keep you from having a piece of your wireless spectrum cut out from under you.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 15, 2012

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
For some reason spotlight has been kind of 'jerky' lately. As soon as I type a letter it returns the top hit, applications, and web searches, and then a half second later it refreshes the dropdown with system preferences, folder, messages, etc. I made a little video to demonstrate:

http://youtu.be/VAKAChAsu_w

It wasn't always like this, and it's kind of annoying how it's always flashing as I try to type. Anybody know what might cause this?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. It's weird, almost as if something is stealing focus away from it. Does it persist after reboot?

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

Large Hardon Collider posted:

For some reason spotlight has been kind of 'jerky' lately. As soon as I type a letter it returns the top hit, applications, and web searches, and then a half second later it refreshes the dropdown with system preferences, folder, messages, etc. I made a little video to demonstrate:

http://youtu.be/VAKAChAsu_w

It wasn't always like this, and it's kind of annoying how it's always flashing as I try to type. Anybody know what might cause this?

I had that happen for a bit. It went away after I did a reboot.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
EDIT: Sorry!

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 16, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

iPad stuff goes in Inspect Your Gadgets ;)

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

step aside posted:

I had that happen for a bit. It went away after I did a reboot.

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. It's weird, almost as if something is stealing focus away from it. Does it persist after reboot?

Thanks guys, this fixed it for me. :)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Rumors are claiming that production on slimmer 13 and 15 inch MBPs has begun and they'll be out soonish?

Intel already got Apple the new ivy bridge things for production.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 16, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shmoogy posted:

Rumors are claiming that production on slimmer 13 and 15 inch MBPs has begun and they'll be out soonish?

Gonna kill someone if they keep 1280x800 in the 13" model

Shouldn't the new Mac Pros come out first? The Xeons are out and ready...

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Shmoogy posted:

MBP is morphing into MBA, you all knew it was going to happen!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Give me a 13" Air with a black bezel and call it a Pro and we have a deal, Tim/Jony.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Give me a 13" Air with a black bezel and call it a Pro and we have a deal, Tim/Jony.

I want a lightweight 15-inch mbp with little to no bezel.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sprat Sandwich posted:

gently caress that, the bezel would be too shiny and fingerprinty

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Don't poke the screen, sheesh.

I can't deny that it isn't shiny but the black bezel is just SO SEXY.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
13" Pro with better screen and smaller bezel please!

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Shmoogy posted:

Would not mind at all if they ditched the spinning platters completely and the obsolete plastic disk laser physical media thing too.

Then they should get rid of the "air" completely and just make "the MacBook".

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 16, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
That's what they're most likely doing:

11, 13, 15, 17 inch Macbooks

something like dual core on the 11/13, dual/quad 13/15/17, discrete graphics 15/17

Maybe spinning + SSD on (hopefully 13)/15/17

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NOTinuyasha posted:

Then they should get rid of the "air" completely and just make "the MacBook".

Why would they force everyone in a compromised machine? You either get very thin and very light (8GB, dual-core, SSD) or you get powerful (16GB, HDD+SSD, quad-core) but still reletively thin and light.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Why would they force everyone in a compromised machine? You either get very thin and very light (8GB, dual-core, SSD) or you get powerful (16GB, HDD+SSD, quad-core) but still reletively thin and light.

I think he means in name only.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Bought a Mac Mini to hold me over until my PC laptop gets back from the shop. Figure if the laptop doesn't get repaired, I go forward with the Mini and build a proper gaming desktop down the line.

However, I bought the base-spec i5 model and I'm finding myself pretty dissatisfied with the performance. After opening a few tabs with images in Chrome, the machine slows to a complete halt and I get the Beach Ball or whatever it may be properly be called.

My laptop is an i7, last-gen, with a 1GB video card (primarily for photo and video work with gaming (that will be offloaded to a desktop soon)) which I spent $1100 on. Should, if I am to stay with the Mac Mini, pony up to the i7 "mini server" to get the equivalent amount of performance? Is the jump from the base model to the $1K model going to benefit me that significantly?

I feel it should, but figured I'd inquire here first.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You can't possibly be CPU-limited. If anything the HD or RAM.

Did you get the base model with only 2GB of RAM? If so, RUN, do not walk to the store and buy either 1 or 2 4GB chips ($17.99 each on Newegg). Apple is stupid and really gimped the base models for some reason.

If you have 4GB of RAM already, I'm not sure what the problem would be. You could add and SSD for $150-$250 (or even a 7200 RPM drive would be a bit of help).

I have 3 machines - 11" Air 1.4GHz C2D with 2GB, 13" Air 1.7GHz i5 with 4GB, and a iMac with the i3 and 4GB RAM (upgraded to 8GB but used it for a few months with only 4GB) and they're all perfectly fine. The Airs have SSD's so that helps but the iMac has the piece of crap 250GB/320GB 5400RPM that came with it stock.

I normally have SQL and web servers running, a Linux VM, all three browsers, a bunch of terminals, filezilla, mysql workbench, a bunch of PDF's open, Word, Excel, iTunes....I rarely get beachballs. And when I do, I either end up having to force quit whatever app it is, or the whole system comes crumbling down and it crashes or I have to reboot. Maybe once a month.

Fire up Activity Monitor or Menu Meters (http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/) and see what your free/used RAM looks like. Lion will eat 2GB for breakfast.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 17, 2012

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Matlock posted:

Bought a Mac Mini to hold me over until my PC laptop gets back from the shop. Figure if the laptop doesn't get repaired, I go forward with the Mini and build a proper gaming desktop down the line.

However, I bought the base-spec i5 model and I'm finding myself pretty dissatisfied with the performance. After opening a few tabs with images in Chrome, the machine slows to a complete halt and I get the Beach Ball or whatever it may be properly be called.

My laptop is an i7, last-gen, with a 1GB video card (primarily for photo and video work with gaming (that will be offloaded to a desktop soon)) which I spent $1100 on. Should, if I am to stay with the Mac Mini, pony up to the i7 "mini server" to get the equivalent amount of performance? Is the jump from the base model to the $1K model going to benefit me that significantly?

I feel it should, but figured I'd inquire here first.

You have other problems not related to the CPU. You're either swapping by running out of ram or you have a hardware problem. Upgrading to an i7 isn't going to do poo poo.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

I would also be using this for video production, would the i7 not be an improvement for that?

And yeah, it is the Base Model with 2GB. I'd rather not do any changes or invest more money into this specific unit until the laptop comes back. I'm not entirely sure I like it enough to keep it at the moment.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Matlock posted:

I would also be using this for video production, would the i7 not be an improvement for that?

And yeah, it is the Base Model with 2GB. I'd rather not do any changes or invest more money into this specific unit until the laptop comes back. I'm not entirely sure I like it enough to keep it at the moment.

Yes, but the mini server is like $999 comapred to the base model which is $599

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Yes, but the mini server is like $999 comapred to the base model which is $599

So you're saying that the performance jump between the i5 and the i7 is not worth the premium for video work? I'm not exactly wanting to go up to Mac Pro budgeting here, but I don't want to scrimp.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Matlock posted:

So you're saying that the performance jump between the i5 and the i7 is not worth the premium for video work? I'm not exactly wanting to go up to Mac Pro budgeting here, but I don't want to scrimp.

Well 4 cores vs 2 cores will probably be a big help but check benchmarks for whatever program you're using to be sure. I'm not sure if a single 5400rpm disk is going to become a bottleneck at that point or not.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The server mini also comes with integrated graphics, so for most people the 2.5 i5 will be a better buy.

SSD will still make the biggest impact.

Kabz
Jul 29, 2004

Matlock posted:

I noticed a huge difference in the i5 and i7.
Especially with other windows open and other applications running.
I'm a video editor/photographer/videographer myself -- the difference is noticeable if you do this type of work, and it is worth it in the long run.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
As long as you know the extra cores will be put to use (like FCPX or something where it does a bunch of background processing with them) get the server. Otherwise get a cheaper one and upgrade the RAM and get a SSD.

Well get a SSD no matter what if possible.

And remember the refurbs:
$849 for the server: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC936LL/A
...or if you're willing to take an iMac, $999 for this one: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC309LL/A
Not sure how the CPU compares (cause desktop i5s don't have hyperthreading iirc) but the GPU will kill the Mac mini's while the drive will be eh, tolerable.

If possible I'd wait for Ivy Bridge bumps but that'll take a while.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
At that price, an iMac would be a better buy.
A $999 mini will have:
2.0ghz mobile quad core
2x2gb ram
2x500gb hdd
Intel HD3000 graphics

Meanwhile, a $1199 iMac will have:
2.5ghz desktop quad core
2x2gb ram
1x500gb hdd
Radeon 6750 graphics
21.5" 1080p display
Included keyboard and mouse (or magic trackpad)

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Yes, but the iMac is barely portable. I have a monitor and a 42" TV that I can switch between, as well as the ability to take it with me.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Just pick up a good 2x4gb set of ram for your current mini, it'll fly after that. 2gb ram is just not enough.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

japtor posted:

As long as you know the extra cores will be put to use (like FCPX or something where it does a bunch of background processing with them) get the server. Otherwise get a cheaper one and upgrade the RAM and get a SSD.

Well get a SSD no matter what if possible.

And remember the refurbs:
$849 for the server: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC936LL/A
...or if you're willing to take an iMac, $999 for this one: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC309LL/A
Not sure how the CPU compares (cause desktop i5s don't have hyperthreading iirc) but the GPU will kill the Mac mini's while the drive will be eh, tolerable.

If possible I'd wait for Ivy Bridge bumps but that'll take a while.

When I get my laptop back, I think I'll return this one and spring for the refurb server. Seems a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Alternatively there are the other models for less then you could get 16GB and a big SSD, depending where your performance priorities are.