Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This is my favorite drop. It doesn't get played very often, but the originating call was hilarious. Anderson put that on a cart after 20 seconds after she said it and kept playing it at the perfect times during the call. It took Adam and Drew until about 3/4 through the call before they realized what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phlag posted:

You're not the first person to say that. It's like the "That's the beauty of it; it doesn't do anything!" quotation phenomenon - everyone thinks they've heard the original, but no one is ever able to actually provide a source.

I know I did because I was aware of all this before I knew what a quest it was online. He was trying to cheer someone up, that I remember. Someone had called in super depressed, didn't think life was going anywhere and Adam went into his thing about how long and deep his loserdom was before even his dumb rear end became successful.

Maybe that was one I actually listened to on the radio back in the dark ages and I don't actually have a copy, it's hard to say.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

FCKGW posted:

This is my favorite drop. It doesn't get played very often, but the originating call was hilarious. Anderson put that on a cart after 20 seconds after she said it and kept playing it at the perfect times during the call. It took Adam and Drew until about 3/4 through the call before they realized what was going on.

That sounds hilarious. Any idea what episode?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I know what the ladies like: they like giving me oral.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like a girl with a big butt and fruit in the middle.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Riptor posted:

One from 2001. It has to be.

I need to redownload all of the 2001 episodes. That year was so drat good.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Most of you do not listen to the new show nightly I imagine. So I will just tell you that ever since Simone came on there have been no drops allowed. He briefly mentioned it on a preshow he did 10 minutes before the actual show, saying that new people want to format the hell out of the show and make it suitable for a larger audience. This means the guests stay only 45 minutes and not the whole show. Most shows I would be fine with this, but LL only occasionally has any guests these days and they get people that have been in there 20 times and is interesting as hell. But nope, 45 minutes.

Also, no Word Game Called Stinky Pinky anymore because I don;t know what the hell to be honest. They stopped for weeks, then did the last 2 minutes of the show as SP. Now it is never done :smith: As I mentioned, the 'no drops' rule is insane. That is part of the show, Anderson can do them perfectly and it should come back. Also, there is an "open forum" for 30 minutes where despite the name, callers just call on one subject. For half a loving hour. And the questions are beyond lame/predictable such as:

"why do you not use condoms"

"marriage, outstanding or outdated"

"How do you know when a relationship is over"

"best pickup lines"

This is every night, for half an hour of the exact same answers.

But the worst, I mean the worst is the addition of "Simone's Takeaway." This is where she reads an article from Cosmo or a crazy study done overseas and takes it as truth, and she passes it along as truth. This time of the show is when Drew stares off into space looking annoyed, I mean he has always hated those drat magazines. Now it is a main part of the show. And 9 out of 10 times he won't call BS just out of courtesy, but if it is a serious topic but wrong he will try to convince Simone for the whole show about why it is wrong.

Callers still dmub.

edit: tonight's open forum question is

What's the strangest place you've ever had sex?!?

:ughh:

WouldDesk fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 5, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

A little plop here
A little skeet there
Skeety skeet skeety skeet everywhere
Everybody everybody skeet skeet
That's how you do your threesome beat

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
The sad thing is that WouldDesk isn't exaggerating about how awful the current format is.

Edit:

Current caller has a smoke alarm going off, no one is saying anything.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WouldDesk posted:

Loveline has become what it hates the most

I'm speechless :cripes:

Riptor posted:

I'm not sure, it popped up on random from my archive a number of weeks back.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Loveline drop origins spreadsheet is awesome.
http://bit.ly/lovelinedroporigins

"Nooooo (like a horse)"
Loveline 2002-10-17
https://www.lovelinetapes.com/shows/?id=3070&h=ZDUyYjcxMTk

e: No origin of "The world is your oyster." just the first date it was played.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

"Nooooo (like a horse)"
Loveline 2002-10-17

Awesome, thanks for that.

In the mean time, I found another "No!" drop that I couldn't stop laughing at. On the 2004-10-24 show, last caller of the night, Doug calls in with a bogus Mason Jar call. Doug blurts out a creepy "No!" that Anderson carts in exactly 48 seconds and then proceeds to play about 50 times in machine gun fashion while Doug joins in and Adam and Drew bust up.

I even put it in helpful Youtube format!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xytejss-miY

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 5, 2012

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

WouldDesk posted:

Most of you do not listen to the new show nightly I imagine. So I will just tell you that ever since Simone came on there have been no drops allowed. He briefly mentioned it on a preshow he did 10 minutes before the actual show, saying that new people want to format the hell out of the show and make it suitable for a larger audience. This means the guests stay only 45 minutes and not the whole show. Most shows I would be fine with this, but LL only occasionally has any guests these days and they get people that have been in there 20 times and is interesting as hell. But nope, 45 minutes.

Also, no Word Game Called Stinky Pinky anymore because I don;t know what the hell to be honest. They stopped for weeks, then did the last 2 minutes of the show as SP. Now it is never done :smith: As I mentioned, the 'no drops' rule is insane. That is part of the show, Anderson can do them perfectly and it should come back. Also, there is an "open forum" for 30 minutes where despite the name, callers just call on one subject. For half a loving hour. And the questions are beyond lame/predictable such as:

"why do you not use condoms"

"marriage, outstanding or outdated"

"How do you know when a relationship is over"

"best pickup lines"

This is every night, for half an hour of the exact same answers.

But the worst, I mean the worst is the addition of "Simone's Takeaway." This is where she reads an article from Cosmo or a crazy study done overseas and takes it as truth, and she passes it along as truth. This time of the show is when Drew stares off into space looking annoyed, I mean he has always hated those drat magazines. Now it is a main part of the show. And 9 out of 10 times he won't call BS just out of courtesy, but if it is a serious topic but wrong he will try to convince Simone for the whole show about why it is wrong.

Callers still dmub.

edit: tonight's open forum question is

What's the strangest place you've ever had sex?!?

:ughh:

I intermix classic, pre-Simone and current LL.
Simone is not great, but she is still better than Stryker. Simone would be tolerable under the old format, but she has way too much sway under the new format. Drew at least still will stand up to her when she is terribly wrong.

The worst is the weird polite way they interact with the dumbass callers. "Thank you for calling we really appreciate it, I know that must've been hard" It seems so forced. So many calls I'm just thinking "you're fat" or "you're gay" would just be so perfect, but nada.

I don't mind the lack of guests, Adam could easily work with a bad guest and it wouldn't take away from the show. I think Mike brings a lot to the table, but he definitely kisses guests rear end in a boring way.

They totally ignore bogus calls, Adam and Drew would pick up and interrogate every hint of bogusity back in the day, and now suddenly its 2012 and NO ONE is bogus?

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 5, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Loveline is dead. Long live Loveline.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CatchrNdRy posted:

I intermix classic, pre-Simone and current LL.
Simone is not great, but she is still better than Stryker. Simone would be tolerable under the old format, but she has way too much sway under the new format. Drew at least still will stand up to her when she is terribly wrong.

The worst is the weird polite way they interact with the dumbass callers. "Thank you for calling we really appreciate it, I know that must've been hard" It seems so forced. So many calls I'm just thinking "you're fat" or "you're gay" would just be so perfect, but nada.

I don't mind the lack of guests, Adam could easily work with a bad guest and it wouldn't take away from the show. I think Mike brings a lot to the table, but he definitely kisses guests rear end in a boring way.

They totally ignore bogus calls, Adam and Drew would pick up and interrogate every hint of bogusity back in the day, and now suddenly its 2012 and NO ONE is bogus?

I imagine if Simone came across a mason jar caller her head would pop and tootsie rolls would erupt in a shower over Drew while he laughs maniacally.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Yes indeed, Loveline is dead and I was a fan of Mike and even had a subscription for the year that ended back in October right when the show tanked. I wish I saved a copy of the reason I submitted for cancelling when they ask why you are not renewing because it was pretty drat good. Mostly brought up a lot of points that people have mentioned in this thread as of recent. The whole "wider audience" being complete BS because they've lost more stations and listeners than they've gained. I would love to see the ratings for that show. Time to start a fund so that we can buy out Loveline from the shitbags who own it now (it shouldn't cost much) and just let the people who know what the gently caress they've been doing for 15+ years do their jobs.

edit:

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

"Nooooo (like a horse)"
Loveline 2002-10-17

I just finished this episode. I was in tears at the end. Such a fantastic classic. "Mercenary position."

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 8, 2012

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA
Did anyone notice that Adam is on Celebrity Apprentice?

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

BV posted:

Did anyone notice that Adam is on Celebrity Apprentice?

Yeah, it has got me to watch the first few episodes. Well him and Pen Jillette anyway. I have never bothered watching because well... yeah... but it is a pretty well made show to be honest. And the show benefits a lot by having a two hour time slot instead of just one.

BV
Oct 23, 2005

WouldDesk posted:

Yeah, it has got me to watch the first few episodes. Well him and Pen Jillette anyway. I have never bothered watching because well... yeah... but it is a pretty well made show to be honest. And the show benefits a lot by having a two hour time slot instead of just one.

The Apprentice is actually a really good show from what I've seen over the years. It's also completely awesome to see three of my favorite celebrities in Adam, Lou Ferrigno, and Paul Teutle Sr. on a show together. Dr. Drew, Adam, David Allen Grier, and ICP would be a hilarious group to watch perform these tasks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Glad it's not terrible, I realized that Adam, Penn and Takei were going to force me to actually watch it but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Dammit Trump, gently caress you <:mad:>

{spoiler] Andretti and Ferrigno should have been poo poo canned. It seemed extremely obvious too. [/spoiler]

BV
Oct 23, 2005

A lot of people will probably disagree with me but I think Aubrey is absolutely, stunningly beautiful. Lou, Adam, and Andretti are probably the worst on the guy's team, which pains me to say. Paul Teutle, Penn, and Clay Aiken (surprisingly) seem like the most competent. Lisa Lampanelli and Aubrey seem like the best on the women's team.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

BV posted:

A lot of people will probably disagree with me but I think Aubrey is absolutely, stunningly beautiful.

Yeah I definitely will. Tia Carerre is the most beautiful person on that show. The Miss America winner is a very close second. Adam is third.

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.
Oh my god, I hadn't listened to much Loveline since Simone started on the show, but I can barely even get through the show now. Not to echo too much of the sentiment that's been posted on here. I pine for the show of a year ago with just Drew and Mike; Mike's voices are the best kind of radio-zoo-esque material. I listen now and it's just sterilized to the point of having no character at all.

The Open Forum just wastes a quarter of the show on people rushing furiously to agree with one another. Tonight is "all in if you are in an interracial relationship" and everyone is just agreeing that racism is bad over and over. Really informative and interesting.

At least I still have the After Disaster and the archives.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Amish posted:

The Open Forum just wastes a quarter of the show on people rushing furiously to agree with one another. Tonight is "all in if you are in an interracial relationship" and everyone is just agreeing that racism is bad over and over. Really informative and interesting.

No not all right!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Grand Fromage posted:

No not all right!

I am having trouble believing that there's enough people working in a company to sustain Simone's presence. How can so many people be so clearly wrong about quality and entertainment?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
You would think that Dr. Drew is a big enough celebrity at this point to exert some creative control... oh that's right he's still a big whooped wuss who just tramples all over jokes.

Kirtan
May 17, 2011

CatchrNdRy posted:

You would think that Dr. Drew is a big enough celebrity at this point to exert some creative control... oh that's right he's still a big whooped wuss who just tramples all over jokes.

Drew's trampling is adorable. Simone's trampling is malicious.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I am having trouble believing that there's enough people working in a company to sustain Simone's presence. How can so many people be so clearly wrong about quality and entertainment?

Remember the stories of how bad radio is and how clueless everyone in management is when it comes to comedy? The stuff that Adam railed against for 10 years?

You're seeing it in action. Simone was placed in the show to appeal to female listeners and the standard talk show formula being applied to this show to try and get "caller engagement".

I haven't listened to any of the new shows. Have they been taking less of the real heavy calls, like the molestation and rape calls? They haven't started adressing callers by city/state, have they?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

FCKGW posted:

Remember the stories of how bad radio is and how clueless everyone in management is when it comes to comedy? The stuff that Adam railed against for 10 years?

You're seeing it in action. Simone was placed in the show to appeal to female listeners and the standard talk show formula being applied to this show to try and get "caller engagement".

I haven't listened to any of the new shows. Have they been taking less of the real heavy calls, like the molestation and rape calls? They haven't started adressing callers by city/state, have they?

I haven't been listening VERY recently, but yeah the callers seem a bit toothless and generally more pleasant. They certainly aren't referred to as "the world's dumbest audience" anymore, they treated with kid gloves. Especially compared to the late 90s full moon episodes where every caller was just dripping crazy and weird.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The line at the end now is some variation of "in a world where it doesn't feel like anyone cares, we do."

So basically it's the opposite of Adam, which I think is what they were going for.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Listened to the Portia de Rossi episode from like 1997, really kind of awkward and weird, considering she hadn't come out at the time and Adam is relentless hitting on her and talking about her looks.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The line at the end now is some variation of "in a world where it doesn't feel like anyone cares, we do."

So basically it's the opposite of Adam, which I think is what they were going for.

"And remember, in this crazy mixed up world that makes you think that nobody cares, we do. Be good."

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Adam is rolling in his swivel chair right now.

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.
Perfect time for Drew to use his drop....

"TIME TO START LISTENING GOD drat IT"

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
No more drops, remember?

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009

criscodisco posted:

No more drops, remember?

Not even the applause drop.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Might sound ridiculous but that was what really put the nail in the coffin for me. Drops were the soul of this show.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's really sad, not just that we've lost our entertainment but Loveline was one of the few places people could go for this kind of advice. Turning it into another Love Doctor show just makes it pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mic
Aug 27, 2003

Over the hills and far away
WHERE'S MY BOURBON?!

• Locked thread