Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Here is a shot of mine with the girls.

Its a lance caliclassic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.
No worries, GND. The people were totally chill. We actually moved from Clever Dunnes to some concert/chili shack in Georgetown. I can't remember the bands, but I guess one had some scooter people in it? Anyway there were a bunch of scooterists in the crowd and it was fun as poo poo. If I can I'll make it out again for sure.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
According to 2SB, all MP3s have been slashed for the year, with the exception of maybe the MP3 Yourban or whatever the gently caress that is going to be.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

AquaticIguana posted:

No worries, GND. The people were totally chill. We actually moved from Clever Dunnes to some concert/chili shack in Georgetown. I can't remember the bands, but I guess one had some scooter people in it? Anyway there were a bunch of scooterists in the crowd and it was fun as poo poo. If I can I'll make it out again for sure.

Nice, glad you had fun. The scooter crowd here is a good crowd. And yeah, one of those bands had scooter people from Tacoma in it, I think from the gently caress Yeah Scooter Club.

TLG James posted:

According to 2SB, all MP3s have been slashed for the year, with the exception of maybe the MP3 Yourban or whatever the gently caress that is going to be.

Interesting, and not surprising. Those things seem as rare as unicorns outside of dealer floors. I wonder how cheap they'll get.

e: also I'm like 90% sure 2sb "scooterbasics" works at Lynnwood Scooter/Cycle Barn; the only Seattle-area Vespa/Triumph dealership I can think of. Internet detective! :thumbsup:

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 1, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
quote is not edit

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 1, 2012

Erm Excuse Me WTF
Jan 11, 2012

by Ozmaugh

sigtrap posted:

No, mootmoot, judging from my inbox and all the reports, it's not just me. And registering yet another account to pretend to be a 3rd party is pretty classy, too!

Well looking at the regdate I think that account predates the last round of your wet-blanket breastfeeding warm-milk drinking approach to what is suitable for discussion on a motorbike forum.. Oh and he probably has about a million other accounts x

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Erm Excuse Me WTF posted:

Well looking at the regdate I think that account predates the last round of your wet-blanket breastfeeding warm-milk drinking approach to what is suitable for discussion on a motorbike forum.. Oh and he probably has about a million other accounts x

You might be right.
:cb:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh man, who's parachute account are you?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Oh man, who's parachute account are you?

90% chance of mootmoot

Can you please take your mod baiting out of the scooter thread I mean if you keep posting here people might think you like scooters and then you'd be a fat old woman, right?

Erm Excuse Me WTF
Jan 11, 2012

by Ozmaugh

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

2 models, so far: the Cushman II Step-Thru:

And the Cushman II Highlander:

This company has the life-expectancy of a mayfly.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

All that money you spend on parachute accounts to tug on your own dick could be used for advanced MSF lessons, or maybe a track day. So you could, you know, learn how to turn.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

An observer posted:

All that money you spend on parachute accounts to tug on your own dick could be used for advanced MSF lessons, or maybe a track day. So you could, you know, learn how to turn.

He doesn't need to learn to turn...he needs to learn to twist the throttle better so he doesn't lose to civics on the freeway.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

your wet-blanket breastfeeding warm-milk drinking approach to what is suitable for discussion on a motorbike forum.
This sort of statement makes me rather proud that I ride a scooter, and that I can discuss doing so in a mature manner with others in this forum.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I get sad when I see 8 new scooter posts and they're all about a loving retard.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lets talk more about the Cushmans with the life expectancy of a mayfly. Those things own.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm assuming they've properly secured rights to the Cushman name from Textron?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bucephalus posted:

I'm assuming they've properly secured rights to the Cushman name from Textron?

Textron owns the name?

I worked for a company that got bought and procedurally gutted, then killed off by Textron in the 90's and it was terrible.

Not a fan, but hopefully these guys arent related to them and just bought the name

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yep, Cushman is still in business, producing electric warehouse/utility carts. Why they haven't been folded into EZ-GO (also a Textron company), I've no idea.

The construction equipment division of Ingersoll-Rand was sold to a company called Doosan, who still produces equipment & service parts under the Ingersoll-Rand name, so it's not unheard of.

E: Cushman also make golf & turf vehicles, which makes their separation from EZ-GO all the more baffling.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 3, 2012

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I'd totally rock a Cushman White Van with an Airborne in the cargo bay.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My Honda Passport is for sale.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
So there's some new poo poo going on with Piaggio/Vespa/Aprilia USA. In descending order of engine capacity:

A new Aprilia maxiscooter, the SRV850, is confirmed to be coming to the US, presumably just in time to compete with the new big BMW maxiscooters which I guess are coming stateside. At 840cc, I think it's the biggest scooter on the market by like 200cc.

A new Piaggio BV (called Beverly elsewhere), this time a 350, is heading our way:

e: also the aforementioned MP3 300 Yourban/City/whatever

And, most interesting, a very interesting new Vespa model is on the horizon. A version of this concept, referred to as either the "946" or the "Quarantasei" - 46 in Italian, referencing the year (1946) of the first Vespa model (the 98) - will apparently be entering production. Nobody knows anything about it except that Piaggio told US dealers that it would be a 2013 model. Probably a 150cc or something.

And this, as my girlfriend pointed out, looks like a rabbit:

all of this via via scooterfile.com/url] and [url=http://scootinoldskool.com]scootinoldskool.com

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 13, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

A new Aprilia maxiscooter, the SRV850, is confirmed to be coming to the US, presumably just in time to compete with the new big BMW maxiscooters which I guess are coming stateside. At 840cc, I think it's the biggest scooter on the market by like 200cc.

At this point, is there any difference at all between a maxiscooter and a light touring motorcycle, beyond the fact that you can put your feet through the scooter and not the bike? Who are the target market for maxiscooters? What are the selling points of one versus a motorcycle of comparable displacement?

I'm not taking the piss, just actually curious.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

People that don't want to have to deal with a clutch or a gearbox specifically. I have a buddy that rides a Burgman 400 solely because he doesn't have to shift.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

That's 12 bottles of wine inside a Yamaha C3. Scooters own.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Yeah that too.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Sagebrush posted:

At this point, is there any difference at all between a maxiscooter and a light touring motorcycle, beyond the fact that you can put your feet through the scooter and not the bike? Who are the target market for maxiscooters? What are the selling points of one versus a motorcycle of comparable displacement?

I'm not taking the piss, just actually curious.

Not shifting, comfortable seating positions, built-in storage, protection from the elements, low center of gravity.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I was thinking about painting my Vino 125 black because I got white-wall tires for it and it looks a little funny with the blue paint. I remember seeing a Vino 125 in black once or twice so I went to the dealer and inquired about all of the plastics needed to convert the entire bike to factory black. I ended up buying everything needed for a total cost of $340. (My ex-wife downed this scooter twice so the factory blue plastics have seen better days.)

I just got the plastics in and they are tits, a nice deep black with some very light sparkle/metallic flake in them. Hopefully I'll find time to put them on this weekend, if I do I'll post some pictures.

I was posting this really to comment how surprisingly cheap it was to purchase the entire factory plastics kit to change the color of the bike, I was surprised.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

That is cheap. Pricing out replacement panels for my Vino 50 caused the insurance company of the lady who hit me to shell out more than I paid for the scooter.

Joke's on them. Some dude let me have his Chinese Vino clone for free.

Joke's on me. It's an old Geely, which means most of the plastic body panels fell apart in my hands like an Edison cylinder on a cold day. Tonight I just noticed that even the throttle broke just from being twisted. Thankfully, the leg shield and floorboard are much tougher and can still be used.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I like the looks of that MP3. Too bad the vespa dealer in my town pulled out last year. I think all we have left is a yamaha and a genuine place.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Holy crap, 840cc on a scooter! Thats probably one hell of a ride.

Being Italian though the thing probably requires regular transfusions of unicorn blood to remain functioning.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Installed my new plastics today and the bike looks about 10000000% better.

The factory plastics came with no badges as well, the bike looks a lot cleaner without them IMO. Now if the weather would just get a bit warmer....

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That pipe is so adorable. If it drinks it's milk one day it might grow up to be a works yoshimura pipe :3:

Scoot looks good too!

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

What brand of tires are those?

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!
gently caress, why didn't I think of that? I spent almost that much replacing the plastics on mine.

Lovin' the black/whitewall though, it looks loving awesome, although we're not blue Vino bros anymore. :(

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
I'm buying my first scooter! Probably. Hopefully. It's this one: http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/2824835878.html

I'm going to look at it in a couple of hours - it's gone about 5000mi and never been over, but as I've never done this before, I have no idea what kind of questions I should be asking. How do I make sure I'm not going to walk away with a lemon? What kinds of things do I ask about?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know much about that scooter specifically, but don't use the helmet that comes with it. You might be able to get them to take a hundred bucks off the price since the helmet is effectively worthless to you.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Installed my new plastics today and the bike looks about 10000000% better.

(sweet pics)

The factory plastics came with no badges as well, the bike looks a lot cleaner without them IMO. Now if the weather would just get a bit warmer....

That looks fantastic. Nice work.

Nayato posted:

I'm buying my first scooter! Probably. Hopefully. It's this one: http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/2824835878.html

I'm going to look at it in a couple of hours - it's gone about 5000mi and never been over, but as I've never done this before, I have no idea what kind of questions I should be asking. How do I make sure I'm not going to walk away with a lemon? What kinds of things do I ask about?

I agree with sagebrush, don't use their helmet. Ask for money off (they may not if they just want to get rid of everything). Used helmets sketch me out since you have no real idea what history they've had. They may have been trashed. I'd highly suggest a full-face as they are SO MUCH SAFER.

This list is not exhaustive:

Check the tires. If they've been sitting two years, they might have developed flat spots or dry-rotted (look for cracking or discoloration). $75-100 in parts/labor to replace one.

Ask about the general maintenance history. Oil changes, etc. Who did them, when? If it's a 2-stroke (which would be awesome) they won't have had to change engine oil, but the final drive will have required changing. Also just look around the bike for rust, missing bolts, scratches, etc.

Have the brakes been checked? Do they engage as soon as you pull the lever, or do they not start slowing the bike until you've pulled a bit? Some play is usual, but if it's a lot it could either be that the cables have stretched (very common) or that the pads are worn thinner and need a longer pull to make contact, which could mean they're due for replacing soon. e: the front brake is probably hydraulic, and the rear is probably cabled. The distance-to-apply thing is still true for the front - also check the brake fluid level. There should be a little sight glass by the master cylinder/reservoir near the front brake lever

If they let you test ride it, be mindful for any stuttering as the bike accelerates, particularly at partial throttle and low speed. If the motor sounds smooth but the bike stutters, it could be a sign of transmission wear (like flat-spotted roller weights). Cheap to DIY, maybe $150 at a shop? (I'm guessing on cost)

How did they crack the fender, and what happened to the seat? Mostly out of curiosity.

Kymcos are good bikes. If everything checks out I'd probably start my offer at about $900 without the helmet, and subtract accordingly depending on the above. Good luck!

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 17, 2012

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

This list is not exhaustive:

Check the tires. If they've been sitting two years, they might have developed flat spots or dry-rotted (look for cracking or discoloration). $75-100 in parts/labor to replace one.

Ask about the general maintenance history. Oil changes, etc. Who did them, when? If it's a 2-stroke (which would be awesome) they won't have had to change engine oil, but the final drive will have required changing. Also just look around the bike for rust, missing bolts, scratches, etc.

Have the brakes been checked? Do they engage as soon as you pull the lever, or do they not start slowing the bike until you've pulled a bit? Some play is usual, but if it's a lot it could either be that the cables have stretched (very common) or that the pads are worn thinner and need a longer pull to make contact, which could mean they're due for replacing soon.

If they let you test ride it, be mindful for any stuttering as the bike accelerates, particularly at partial throttle and low speed. If the motor sounds smooth but the bike stutters, it could be a sign of transmission wear (like flat-spotted roller weights). Cheap to DIY, maybe $150 at a shop? (I'm guessing on cost)

How did they crack the fender, and what happened to the seat? Mostly out of curiosity.

Kymcos are good bikes. If everything checks out I'd probably start my offer at about $900 without the helmet, and subtract accordingly depending on the above. Good luck!

I actually asked about some of these! The seat had to be reupholstered due to hail damage (which suggests it's been stored outside), and the front fender was from a car backing into the bike in a parking lot. The tires were just replaced, too, so they've clearly done some work in bringing it back up to decent condition.

The people who are coming to look at the thing before me are late so I'm just sitting at home waiting for the call. I hope they don't take it, this is more or less the perfect bike.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Nayato posted:

I actually asked about some of these! The seat had to be reupholstered due to hail damage (which suggests it's been stored outside), and the front fender was from a car backing into the bike in a parking lot. The tires were just replaced, too, so they've clearly done some work in bringing it back up to decent condition.

The people who are coming to look at the thing before me are late so I'm just sitting at home waiting for the call. I hope they don't take it, this is more or less the perfect bike.

Good on ya! The fading on the rear fender is a sign it's been stored outside, too - black plastic turns that weird chalky gray with too much exposure.

The tires were replaced in 2010 - if the bike has mostly been sitting for the year and half since then they might not be in great shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Good on ya! The fading on the rear fender is a sign it's been stored outside, too - black plastic turns that weird chalky gray with too much exposure.

The tires were replaced in 2010 - if the bike has mostly been sitting for the year and half since then they might not be in great shape.

Oh, good catch, he implied different on the phone. I'll clarify that when I head over there.

edit: Orrrr not! The guy who viewed it before me ended up buying it. Bummer.

sleater-cummy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 18, 2012