Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Jesus christ the Yamato battle. He can drain me to death because of magic yang alone, fuuuuck.

Guess i'm gonna have to grind to level 70, gently caress. And here I thought having all my demons having null/repel phys, and all strong or more to every element would be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

McDragon posted:

After two run throughs so far and him being an rear end in a top hat, this time I let him die. Eat stairs Keita, you ungrateful useless prick.

Having hammered out to Fate 5 for him? I can safely say he never gets better.

Amazing that they managed to create a character that was just like Nikaido but worse.

Neeksy posted:

Jesus christ the Yamato battle. He can drain me to death because of magic yang alone, fuuuuck.

Guess i'm gonna have to grind to level 70, gently caress. And here I thought having all my demons having null/repel phys, and all strong or more to every element would be enough.

I managed to beat that in my mid 60s. The trick there is to retreat as far away as you can and turtle, then send your physical killsticks (you...do have those, right?) in to tear him apart after the worst of the demon hordes are gone. Yeah, it's still dicey, but it's certainly doable. He's powerful, but he's relatively slow, so a Multi-Strike build should eat him for lunch.

But that's a bit of a hard lesson to learn - in the endgame battles, the game is a LOT more likely to abuse Almighty attacks than they were in DS1. Make sure to keep Recarm handy on all of your teams in some form or another.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 16, 2012

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
My Alter Aegis (art works ver.) arrived.

As expected of Alter, their works are impressive as usual and evidently pay homage to Shigenori's art.

I'd open it, but I'm in the process of moving. Here is a full review.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Neeksy posted:

The trick to the Yamato battle, like every lategame battle, is Evil Wave. You don't even have to leave the platform you start on - just have your two heaviest hitting humans roll with Dragon demons and go to town.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

UselessLurker posted:

The trick to the Yamato battle, like every lategame battle, is Evil Wave. You don't even have to leave the platform you start on - just have your two heaviest hitting humans roll with Dragon demons and go to town.

I beat the game without using Evil Wave at all. :shepface:

It was probably a lot harder than it needed to be, but it was certainly possible.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

KataraniSword posted:

It was probably a lot harder than it needed to be, but it was certainly possible.

Me too. I used Evil Flow.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

UselessLurker posted:

Why are you using Evil Wave at that stage? Use Chaos Wave instead. If you have Evil Wave, Yamato can still eat you alive without repercussion since he has an Arioch with him which lets him attack from 4 spaces away.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Oh, it's definitely possible but foiling Yamato's carefully laid trap by punching him to death from the other side of the room was just too appealing.

e: I'm talking about the one that lets you attack from 6 spaces away for a negligible mana cost per turn

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I've decided this run through is the one where I try to get the most amount of people killed. Not Jungo though, he's great, and he already snuffed it on the first play through. Also, doing all the bonus bosses so I hope nobody important dies.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

McDragon posted:

Also, doing all the bonus bosses so I hope nobody important dies.

Beelzebub's fight is such a great place to grind levels if you have some way of being self sufficient MP-wise. I think I got my MC a good thirty levels in that fight alone.

Of course, defeating the boss in that stage is another problem entirely.

Also, Dragonatrix, Evil Flow > Chaos Breath. "4 Attack Range, -1 Move" loses to "2 Attack Range, +4 Attack Range for 10% MP" pretty much every time.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Beelzebub's fight is such a great place to grind levels if you have some way of being self sufficient MP-wise. I think I got my MC a good thirty levels in that fight alone.

Of course, defeating the boss in that stage is another problem entirely.

Oh, I got 31 levels for MC from Nebiros and his goons. Good bunch of levels for everyone else as well. And a big bag of money.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

McDragon posted:

Well, I've decided this run through is the one where I try to get the most amount of people killed. Not Jungo though, he's great, and he already snuffed it on the first play through. Also, doing all the bonus bosses so I hope nobody important dies.

Hahaha, I saved him on my first run but after getting him to fate 5, there is no way he's dying ever, he's to awesome and sweet.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Hahaha, I saved him on my first run but after getting him to fate 5, there is no way he's dying ever, he's to awesome and sweet.

I didn't do his stuff on my first playthrough, because... I was already using Io for strength stuff, but drat if his Fate stuff isn't the best.

I cried when he ran away from Jungocat :(

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cityinthesea posted:

I didn't do his stuff on my first playthrough, because... I was already using Io for strength stuff, but drat if his Fate stuff isn't the best.

I cried when he ran away from Jungocat :(

Jungo the cat is simultaneously the most adorable thing ever and the most :smith: thing ever. Either way, it's part of the reason Jungo's the best. 2000 damage assassinates is another.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Famitsu talked about Persona 4 The Golden again today

Looks tasty!

All the kids wanna hang out at the stand

The Velvet Room attendant Marie is confirmed to be an S-Link. Famitsu claims that at first she comes off as hostile, but becomes more friendly as you level her S-Link. She represents an entirely new Tarot class: "Eternal".

I guess the player really liked Marie

A neat thing about Eternal is that P4G also includes it as a new line of Persona for Yu to summon! Famitsu reveals Lakshimi will be an Eternal tarot Persona, notably an ice one.

Just chillin' out on main street, you know me

More additional story content is coming too. This time, Yu will be about to walk around town after dark. According to Famitsu, Yu will be able to access new stores open at this time of night and talk to certain characters in person or on his cell phone. For a neat touch, you can also see the "Everyone's Voice" feature in the upper left.

This is cool I guess

Another neat new feature is Dialog Log. Just like in many visual novels, P4G keeps a record of dialog that has been spoken. I have no idea just how far back it reaches, but it seems useful in case you accidentally skip ahead a line or two. From the indicators on screen, I imagine you can touch the little speaker icons to listen to the line again if it was voice acted.

Thanks Sliconera for the PS2 picture

Lastly, Persona 4 The Golden enjoys a much higher resolution than the original PS2 version. Famitsu claims its so improved that you'll be able to read the posters in the Dojima residence, and that you'll find something new if you do.

Famitsu also talked about the BGM change based on how you enter battle too, they said they liked the new song but nothing really new about said song.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I hosed up and can't save Jungo now. :saddowns:

I have to stop talking to my teammates during death clip segments.

Policenaut posted:

P4G stuff
This is awesome. I really want that game (not that I didn't before. :v:)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

KataraniSword posted:

Having hammered out to Fate 5 for him? I can safely say he never gets better.

Amazing that they managed to create a character that was just like Nikaido but worse.

Just have to jump in here and say, I agree. Keita is a horrible piece of garbage. For anyone picking up the game, just let him die. He's not worth any effort to keep him around, and is a frustrating little poo poo.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cake Attack posted:

Jungo the cat is simultaneously the most adorable thing ever and the most :smith: thing ever. Either way, it's part of the reason Jungo's the best. 2000 damage assassinates is another.

He just didn't want it to get hurt. :smith:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's something weird about telling a fellow gamer you used Titania from Shakespere and Mothman from local legends to fight a star in the big dipper.

I got all the way to the end of Benetnash only to have my magic character run out of MP and leave the bad guy with enough health to kill Trumpeter

I'm so fed up, I think I'll go play another game...Persona 3

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I recall Benny being a really easy fight. The 'second form' was pretty cool, though.

Then again I abused Movement skills to get rid of his support in the first available turn, so I still had backup waiting at the start point when he summoned reinforcements.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It takes awhile but I finally feel really powerful, I'm finishing most battles in a single round of combat, hell I killed the 5th boss in one turn as well.

Magic MC, Io, Jungo and Hanako seem to be the best team, they are very well rounded. I gave them a few demons to compensate for their weakness and bam, just pure engines of destruction.

Also, I don't remember Femme Peri being unique and so insanely broken.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I fused a Titania that was Null or Reflect everything. I think that's pretty broken (sans her stupid recarmloss spell).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Neeksy posted:

I fused a Titania that was Null or Reflect everything. I think that's pretty broken (sans her stupid recarmloss spell).

I did the same thing with the Purple Mirror and Metatron.

It's beautiful, especially when you can slap Anti-Almighty, Phys Repel, and Samarecarm on whatever human is leading that unit. It's all but invincible. :allears:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Goodness this pull the stakes out mission is so annoying. :argh:

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Goodness this pull the stakes out mission is so annoying. :argh:

Get a demon with Winged Flight and you can move directly to the right side of the map from the rightmost part of the left side of the map. :v:

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
I have played video games for many years and never been as put-off as I am by Io Nita and her absurd chest. For some reason she looks normal (for an anime) in all her alternate poses but something is seriously wrong with her regular portrait. It's not even that her boobs are too big, they're just... in the wrong place.

Anyway I am on my first playthrough of DS2 and can't wait til I can dump her, even if she does have a good magic stat. What a terrible name, too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Be Depressive posted:

I have played video games for many years and never been as put-off as I am by Io Nita and her absurd chest. For some reason she looks normal (for an anime) in all her alternate poses but something is seriously wrong with her regular portrait. It's not even that her boobs are too big, they're just... in the wrong place.

Anyway I am on my first playthrough of DS2 and can't wait til I can dump her, even if she does have a good magic stat. What a terrible name, too.

Pretty every single female design is terrible sadly. You ain't doin' much better than Io.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty every single female design is terrible sadly. You ain't doin' much better than Io.

I know, but there's something really weird with her normal portrait. It's not that she has big boobs, her main character portrait makes her incredibly thick, with her boobs in entirely the wrong place, even though she doesn't look like that at all in alternate portraits (like when she's scared, or whatever).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It's probably that her mouth is a perfect U. It really annoyed me that it looked "drawn" on.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Otome has a pretty good design, I think. Makoto's all right, too.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
also I'm pretty sure the oldest woman in the cast is the one that has the smallest boobs (Otome) :suicide:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cityinthesea posted:

also I'm pretty sure the oldest woman in the cast is the one that has the smallest boobs (Otome) :suicide:

In the art, I suppose.

The game seems to want to hammer it into your head that Airi is practically a washboard. I mean, GOD. A normal sized chest without any sort of helium implants! How FREAKISHLY FLAT. To be honest, that's the biggest thing that bugs me about DS2 - the fact that, at points, it can get painfully anime.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

KataraniSword posted:

In the art, I suppose.

The game seems to want to hammer it into your head that Airi is practically a washboard. I mean, GOD. A normal sized chest without any sort of helium implants! How FREAKISHLY FLAT. To be honest, that's the biggest thing that bugs me about DS2 - the fact that, at points, it can get painfully anime.

Yeah I think this is my biggest issue with the story- it does a lot of things I used to see in animes. IIRC the tendency in DS1 to use anime tropes (except a certain character, obviously) wasn't that bad.

I'll even admit now that although Yuzu from DS1 is really annoying, I can totally see how someone might act like that!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Pureauthor posted:

Otome has a pretty good design, I think. Makoto's all right, too.
Mullet Makoto!

I liked Fumi's get-up aside from her galactic sized chest.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Rascyc posted:

Mullet Makoto!

I liked Fumi's get-up aside from her galactic sized chest.

I found Fumi pretty hilarious with her :aspergers: or whatever her deal is :allears:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Fumi's default pose (and expression) always leads me to thinking that she's staring at her chest and wondering what the heck happened.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The whole cast of characters had me going "Hey it's X from Anime" or "It's a younger Akihiko." My Devil Survivor 2 contest entry is basically anime characters that are direct parallels to the DS2 cast. I wonder if they'll get the references.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Cityinthesea posted:

I'm pretty sure Bullet Tits Makoto is the oldest lady at 26. Otome is 24. I can see why you might have been confused, what with Otome being a 24 year old doctor and all.

Despite all these animes having highly unrealistic ages, Yamato being 17 years old makes so much sense. All his rattling on about meritocracy and how he's awesome and everyone else is useless sounds just like something a teenager with poor social skills would come up with.

edit
Ok Fumi I like you as a playable character but come the gently caress on

I know whenever I pout, I squeeze my tits together and grab my crotch.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 17, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I haven't gotten much further in the game (still on day 4 I believe) and Yamoto is probably the worst designed of all. They seem to have gone the entirely predictable route and made the evil path guy look exactly like Naoya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Momomo posted:

I haven't gotten much further in the game (still on day 4 I believe) and Yamoto is probably the worst designed of all. They seem to have gone the entirely predictable route and made the evil path guy look exactly like Naoya.

Goddamn I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. Like TurnipFritter said, though, they do a good job of making it convincing - guy's a complete and total sociopath, as you'd expect anybody who spent his entire life with no social interaction whatsoever to be.