Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
I'm enjoying some Allagash Tripel ahead of my interview. Wish I could have afforded one of their $18 bottles, but the Tripel is good enough.

The Dregs posted:

Tried a Dirty Bastard tonight. The waitress said it was a scotch ale, but I am pretty sure it was their porter. It was black as hell and ashtray-y. Not too bad, but a little heavy on the cigarette butt for me.

DB is a Scotch ale, which might resemble a porter visually. It's basically a strong, dark ale without much hops. The "ashtray" flavor is dark roasted malt, and you find it in imperial stouts, too. if you can get Oskar Blues Old Chub or Orkney Skullsplitter, they are examples of how good the style can get.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
So... do any of you guys plan on drinking a poo poo ton tomorrow since it's St. Paddy's Day? I'm going to be picking up KBS tomorrow at noon, but then I'm going to a concert later in the night and have a DD, so I plan on doing a fair amount of drinking.

I hope this isn't too much of a "I hope all you bros are getting wasted like me" post, I was just mostly wondering what everyone will be drinking.

I'm probably going to drink just the KBS and maybe a Bell's Java Stout before the concert because I have to drive to my friends house who is the DD. I'll probably also pick up a 6 pack of some type of IPA for parking lot fun/after the concert... most likely Flower Power, unless I see anything else which looks really good. I really hope that one of my local groceries gets in A Little Sumpin' Sumpin again!

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 17, 2012

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
New to my palate tonight is Midnight Sun's Monk's Mistress, a BSDA that smells like a quad (I know they're close anyway but there's a difference). Tastes a little like the last sips of a bottle-conditioned beer, yeast and all. Has an ashy, smoky finish as well and while the dark fruits could be a little more pronounced it's not overly sweet either. Short of the greats, but Midnight Sun is cranking out some rad beers right now and this is quite enjoyable.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

CalvinDooglas posted:

I'm enjoying some Allagash Tripel ahead of my interview. Wish I could have afforded one of their $18 bottles, but the Tripel is good enough.

DB is a Scotch ale, which might resemble a porter visually. It's basically a strong, dark ale without much hops. The "ashtray" flavor is dark roasted malt, and you find it in imperial stouts, too. if you can get Oskar Blues Old Chub or Orkney Skullsplitter, they are examples of how good the style can get.

I looked it up on BA, and the beer I drank was much nearer their porter than their scotch ale. I could be wrong, though.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

Is there really any danger to the beer aside from having the sediment/yeast gather on the side of the bottle rather than the bottom?

I think the other part is that you are increasing the surface area in the head space, so in theory oxygen will get into the beer faster. Whether that is a real issue or not I am not sure.

We did make it to Freetail tonight in San Antonio. Place owns. Everything was good to great, in contrast to everything else in the SA area which tasted like bad homebrew. The rye wit was a particular standout. They also had good food and played a lot of old punk rock, which is worth many bonus points with me. Totally awesome joint!

Kudosx posted:

I hope all you bros are getting wasted like me

I will be back home in Colorado tomorrow, and a buddy is having a party with a keg of Odell 5 Barrel so probably a lot of that :cheers:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 17, 2012

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

God drat if that Sierra Nevada Hoptimum isn't one of my favorite IPAs. I typically ignored Sierra Nevada, but do they make anything else I should try?

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 17, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

obi_ant posted:

God drat if that Sierra Nevada Hoptimum isn't one of my favorite IPAs. I typically ignored Sierra Nevada, but do they make anything else I should try?

I really like Torpedo a lot.

Kudosx posted:

So... do any of you guys plan on drinking a poo poo ton tomorrow since it's St. Patty's Day? I'm going to be picking up KBS tomorrow at noon, but then I'm going to a concert later in the night and have a DD, so I plan on doing a fair amount of drinking.

Probably nothing tomorrow unless I can find somebody to hang out with. I've never been a bar guy, really.

Also it's Paddy not Patty.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

obi_ant posted:

I haven't really explored their bombers or special releases, but literally all of their year round and seasonal beers are great IMO.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

obi_ant posted:

I haven't had a bad beer by them yet, I think everything they put out is worth trying at least once. Their big bottles have really blown me away especially the 30th Anniversary Grand Cru.

I'm drinking another Sixpoint Resin now and man am I glad this is a year round beer now. This is a really solid IIPA and it's such a shock when you crack the can open and your smacked with hops from the aroma. This deserves a higher rating than it's aggregated on ratebeer, then again it's not rare so I don't expect it to.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Manky posted:

Also it's Paddy not Patty.

Woops, I should know this. Thanks for the correction!

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

The Dregs posted:

Tried a Dirty Bastard tonight. The waitress said it was a scotch ale, but I am pretty sure it was their porter. It was black as hell and ashtray-y. Not too bad, but a little heavy on the cigarette butt for me.

I picked up a Mc Chouffe brown ale tonight. I bought it on a whim, I know nothing about it. I'm confident I will like it, though. Being new to craft beers is exciting.

The McChoffe is a Scotch ale too.

Personally it is by far my favorite Choffe beer.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Kudosx posted:

So... do any of you guys plan on drinking a poo poo ton tomorrow since it's St. Paddy's Day? I'm going to be picking up KBS tomorrow at noon, but then I'm going to a concert later in the night and have a DD, so I plan on doing a fair amount of drinking.

I plan on just going to the liquor store and grabbing a 4-pack of Young's Chocolate Stout or something and have one with my corned beef sandwiches for dinner. I'm not into the whole getting shitfaced thing. Did that once in college and regretted it. Won't do it again.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everything Sierra Nevada makes is good.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Midorka posted:

I haven't had a bad beer by them yet, I think everything they put out is worth trying at least once. Their big bottles have really blown me away especially the 30th Anniversary Grand Cru.

I'm drinking another Sixpoint Resin now and man am I glad this is a year round beer now. This is a really solid IIPA and it's such a shock when you crack the can open and your smacked with hops from the aroma. This deserves a higher rating than it's aggregated on ratebeer, then again it's not rare so I don't expect it to.

Either I got a bad batch or TASTEBUDS but Resin is way too syrupy and sweet for my tastes as a DIPA. Sucks I was really looking forward to this beer being awesome

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

lazerwolf posted:

Either I got a bad batch or TASTEBUDS but Resin is way too syrupy and sweet for my tastes as a DIPA. Sucks I was really looking forward to this beer being awesome

I tried Bengali Tiger and was expecting it to be halfway decent, but I thought it was one of the worst IPAs I've ever had. I wonder if this is because it wasn't refrigerated at the grocery I picked it up at? Either way, it was completely terrible, and I've been hesitant about picking up Resin after trying Bengali.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

withak posted:

Everything Sierra Nevada makes is good.

Seriously. Just because they don't release poo poo in the same Pokemon vein as everyone else, people don't give them credit as a great brewery. I'd like to say that's one of the ways you can separate a beer snob from a beer nerd. A snob wouldn't give places like SN or Anchor the time of day, while nerds know that those kinds of places not only put craft brew on the map, they still pump out solid, if not amazing, beers in all aspects.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

The Dregs posted:

I picked up a Mc Chouffe brown ale tonight. I bought it on a whim, I know nothing about it. I'm confident I will like it, though. Being new to craft beers is exciting.

The WIFE and I are headed out to Red Hare brewery for a tour tomorrow, if we can get a sitter. My first beer tour.

If this was on draft they probably screwed up and brought you the porter by accident, I can definitely see someone thinking that beer tasted like an ashtray. Their Dirty Bastard is a Scottish ale which is definitely not black and is malty and sweet.

Let me know how Red Hare is, I've been thinking about heading down there for a brewery tour to check the place out even though I've never tried their beers since we don't get them in Athens.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

The McChoffe is a Scotch ale too.

Personally it is by far my favorite Choffe beer.

It was pretty delicious! Now I am sure she served me the porter instead of the Scotch ale. I really like both styles, though, so I am happy.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Tigren posted:

Seriously. Just because they don't release poo poo in the same Pokemon vein as everyone else, people don't give them credit as a great brewery. I'd like to say that's one of the ways you can separate a beer snob from a beer nerd. A snob wouldn't give places like SN or Anchor the time of day, while nerds know that those kinds of places not only put craft brew on the map, they still pump out solid, if not amazing, beers in all aspects.

My family acts surprised when they see me drinking SA Noble Pils.

Sierra Nevada I usually only buy if its semi-fresh... looking fowward to the new HQ in NC, hopefully that means fresher beer for VA.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

lazerwolf posted:

The first one I had was really malty, sticky, and sweet, with a nice hop finish, but definitely sweet. I see why people wouldn't like it but I absolutely loved it because of that. It's a nice change up in the world of IIPAs. I had one tonight from a newer batch and it seemed a bit stronger in the hops than I remember, more balanced.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kudosx posted:

So... do any of you guys plan on drinking a poo poo ton tomorrow since it's St. Paddy's Day?

Probably not since I'm having my in-laws over. Actually I've never done much drinking on St. Patrick's Day.

About the only Irish-themed beer in the house right now is the two bottles of Sam Adams Irish Red. Guess I'll crack one of those open with our colcannon and pork. Though for some reason I'm really eager to tuck into the bottle of Pretty Things' Baby Tree today. Never had it before.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Ugh. Double ugh. I went to my local store 45 minutes early that was supposed to be getting KBS in a little bit ago, and no one seemed to be there lined up, which I thought was weird.

I then asked an employee what was going on with the KBS release, to which he replied "Oh, I was never told what that beer was, or that we were doing a special release for it, so I just put it out on the shelves earlier when I got in, and now it's all sold out".

Time for me to start driving an extra 30 minutes for releases. I got dicked over by this same place for the Curmudgeon's Better Half release...

I'm sad now :(

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

He'Brew and Ballast Point is now available in TX :woop:

...but not in Houston yet :mad:

And yes, I am going to get some Guinness today at the local "please come here tourists" Irish bar.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Kudosx posted:

Ugh. Double ugh. I went to my local store 45 minutes early that was supposed to be getting KBS in a little bit ago, and no one seemed to be there lined up, which I thought was weird.

I then asked an employee what was going on with the KBS release, to which he replied "Oh, I was never told what that beer was, or that we were doing a special release for it, so I just put it out on the shelves earlier when I got in, and now it's all sold out".

Time for me to start driving an extra 30 minutes for releases. I got dicked over by this same place for the Curmudgeon's Better Half release...

I'm sad now :(

I know of a store that had a similar problem, but they thankfully caught it before too much damage was done. The guy who did it was fired though and I think they placed really strict rules on who can handle the beer now at the store. It's a bit sad, but it's also a bit funny.

Edit: The manager had explained to the staff not to touch that box because it was all reserved through it's e-mail list.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 17, 2012

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Wow I actually got tickets to DLD with no issue. Huzzah!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

Wow I actually got tickets to DLD with no issue. Huzzah!

I did not :(

Looks like they are all gone too. fffffffffff

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

Edit: The manager had explained to the staff not to touch that box because it was all reserved through it's e-mail list.

Yeah... the manager at my store definitely didn't tell this kid anything, but he also was a bit of a moron to not realize that there was something special about the beer they received only one case of.

He made the comment "I don't understand why we only got one case of this stuff, we get over 10 cases of everything else". I then told him it was a really rare beer and that it's only released one day a year, to which he blushed and then looked a bit embarrassed, poor kid.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Pre-pre-game Sculpin

I really want to try some Ballast Point stuff with all the talking you guys do about it! I'll be drinking Hopslam tonight.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 17, 2012

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Pre-pre-game Sculpin :whatup:

Merry drinking day dudes.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Literally 10 seconds after the DLD ticket link went up the site was unusable. Goddamnit 3F, get your loving poo poo together.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tigren posted:

And they somehow manage to do it without people camping out overnight to buy two bottles each to sell on eBay,

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Huge_Midget posted:

Literally 10 seconds after the DLD ticket link went up the site was unusable. Goddamnit 3F, get your loving poo poo together.

I just clicked where the buttons were supposed to load (broken image links showed instead) and got to checkout. And they use a 3rd party ticket retailer to handle their sales, and they throw everything they can at it every year. It's like getting a denial of service attack.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

ShaneB posted:

I just clicked where the buttons were supposed to load (broken image links showed instead) and got to checkout. And they use a 3rd party ticket retailer to handle their sales, and they throw everything they can at it every year. It's like getting a denial of service attack.

They need to contract something with Amazon's cloud hosting to sort this poo poo out. If Amazon can handle the Black Friday rush, DLD should be a walk in the park.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

They're charging services fees that are as much or more than Ticketmaster, they should probably just start using them. I guess there's always 2013......

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Oh well, I guess the bottles of '10, '11, '11 Brandy Barrel Aged Dark Lord, CBS, 2007 Cantillon Iris, and Baller Stout I was going to take with me will just have to get opened on another occasion. Sorry beer goons, I wanted to meet up and party but this poo poo just pisses me off. Especially since they are now $300 a ticket on Stub Hub.

In other news, gently caress you 3F.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Huge_Midget posted:

Oh well, I guess the bottles of '10, '11, '11 Brandy Barrel Aged Dark Lord, CBS, 2007 Cantillon Iris, and Baller Stout I was going to take with me will just have to get opened on another occasion. Sorry beer goons, I wanted to meet up and party but this poo poo just pisses me off. Especially since they are now $300 a ticket on Stub Hub.

In other news, gently caress you 3F.

Cool :smug: post. There is literally nothing about this that is 3F fault, besides throwing a rather small event that HAS to be that size and everyone in the region salivating over getting tickets every year.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

ShaneB posted:

Cool :smug: post. There is literally nothing about this that is 3F fault, besides throwing a rather small event that HAS to be that size and everyone in the region salivating over getting tickets every year.

Ummm, yeah 3F is completely at fault? They are the ones that contract this poo poo out, they need to get a site that can handle the traffic?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Huge_Midget posted:

Ummm, yeah 3F is completely at fault? They are the ones that contract this poo poo out, they need to get a site that can handle the traffic?

It clearly did handle the traffic. The tickets sold out in minutes. It didn't handle your traffic and you are butthurt about it. I didn't get tickets last year, but that's how this poo poo works.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

ShaneB posted:

It clearly did handle the traffic. The tickets sold out in minutes. It didn't handle your traffic and you are butthurt about it. I didn't get tickets last year, but that's how this poo poo works.

You seem to have a difficult time grasping at how an E-commcerce website should function. Here's a hint, it shouldn't crash halfway through a purchase session. Why are you such a loving douche?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Huge_Midget posted:

You seem to have a difficult time grasping at how an E-commcerce website should function. Here's a hint, it shouldn't crash halfway through a purchase session. Why are you such a loving douche?

Because you are being an absurd baby who is exactly the type of person 3F wrote about in that quickly-pulled blog post last year.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Big Foot Barley Wine is great.