Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I'm usually in the same boat for lyrical music in films or games but that song just worked for me in ME1.

Serious answer: Nobody knows who created the Reapers and it's implied the ghost kid at the end of the game did but we're never told what the hell he is.

Yeah I get that, it was the catalyst VI's solution etc. Would have been nice to know who initiated it all, or who was the originator of it all.

ChronoReverse posted:

We don't but whoever did it were idiots because they ended up getting wiped out by Synthetics that they created so that organics wouldn't be wiped out by Synthetics.

Either that or they committed mass suicide?

It is possible I suppose some civilisation in the past who didn't have the cycle to purge the galaxy were eventually destroyed by their own AI/synthetics/technology and that tech decided that it either wouldn't allow that to happen again (the geth are still sympathetic to their creators for example) or that they thought about organic life in the way we would think a machine would and seek to purge it of all chaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax

Metrication posted:

So who created the reapers then? We found out why they were created but not who by.

I got the impression the ghost kid wasjust the first synthetic being/race from way-back-when that had "ascended", and wanted to cull organic life before it can create uncontrolled synthetic life that will essentially pave over the galaxy so there will be nothing but robots everywhere forever, with the Reapers also being a living museum of the species that were extinguished. Why they can't just be cops keeping the peace between organics and synthetics or enforcing "nature preserves" is beyond me, but then I'm not a billion year old AI ghost kid. He's kind of a bastard from the point of view of synthetics, too, since he's pulling up the proverbial ladder after him, shutting himself up in the Citadel twiddling his thumbs for 50,000 years at a stretch. Maybe he's Facebooking with other ancient AIs in other galaxies.

After what the dying Reaper says on Rannoch, my guess for the ending was that the Reapers were annihilating all spacefaring life the way they do because they fight so much already that if they're allowed to spread and advance they're going to keep killing more and more of each other with bigger and bigger weapons, so the Reapers think it's ironically more merciful to kill trillions of beings every once in a while to keep orders of magnitude more than that from being slaughtered constantly. The challenge at the end, then, would be for Shepard to somehow put the galaxy on a path towards lasting peace... or something. When s/he gets up to the Citadel, I was imagining Harbinger would be floating there in the middle and they'd threaten each other for a little bit, maybe indulge in a boss fight, till Shepard can put the McGuffin in the hole and blow them all up.
In fact, I'm just going to pretend that's what it was. Not so much because I hated the very end but because it was uncannily similar to a recurring bad dream I've been having for years, especially the entire Synthesis ending. I didn't have a problem with the ending so much conceptually (I knew it was going to be something weird and that they'd try to explain the Reapers), but it seemed completely inappropriate for the "chunky" world they'd built and more importantly didn't fit with the medium it was in, which puts such a big emphasis on tracking all the consequences of your actions. Hell, I would have been satisfied with an "Animal House" series of stills, showing what wacky adventures everyone got up to after they graduated. But the ending just didn't feel like Mass Effect, but like some grainy, '70s cult sci-fi movie loosely based on like a Harlan Ellison short story you'd stumble on at 3 AM.

I thought the last "action" part with the pained stagger towards the beam of light and through the guts of the Citadel was fantastic, but during the final battle I was looking forward to cuts to the bridges of each of the fleets I'd assembled, and to each of the ground forces I'd brought, all working together. Essentially a read-back of all the things I'd done up to that point. How great would it have been to see a squad of geth appear and mow down husks, or krogan keeping Brutes away from you, or the random alien fleets you can assemble blast waves of enemies trying to land? It's a shame it never got as big as it could have, with a final moment of showing exactly how we're all in this together, like Shepard had been saying this whole time.

I'm indifferent to Kai Leng. I hated him, but I hated him for Shepard. "Cyborg Ninja" didn't really strike me as an out of place character type, especially considering the the "fantasy archetype" aliens, but I did think he was a little silly. But then so was EDI's walkin'-around body. Moreso, though, I just liked there being an "anti-Shepard", or at least someone s/he fails against a few times. I picked the meanest options for the next few scenes after that because I figured she was angry and with herself and feeling powerless after that and taking it out on everyone else, and had to kill him to get her groove back.

Frogisis fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 17, 2012

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Aristobulus posted:

If it helps, apparently you only need to blame the lead writer, Mac Walters. He apparently wrote the beginning, dream sequences, Kai Leng, and the ending. He also apparently completely cut off the rest of the writing team from having any input on the ending and did it all himself.

If this is true then just one man managed to write in the absolute worst parts of the game and Bioware did nothing? What the gently caress?

I'm so disappointed only because of how moving, emotional and amazing the rest of the game is :smith:

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Finally getting around the finishing up singleplayer, andI know the consensus is to just walk away before the endgame, but my god I want bad things to happen to whoever designed the initial landing on Earth. Maybe it was my fault for playing an infiltrator, but the whole screen shaking and inability to fire during the cannon launches were extremely aggravating. Enemies not challenging enough? Lets make it so you can't aim or fire intermittently.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I decided to make this and I am not sure why.
Sorry about the quality, I don't export to gif very much.

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

"Do you know how hard it was to find 'a bangin' redhead'?"

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Finally getting around the finishing up singleplayer, andI know the consensus is to just walk away before the endgame, but my god I want bad things to happen to whoever designed the initial landing on Earth. Maybe it was my fault for playing an infiltrator, but the whole screen shaking and inability to fire during the cannon launches were extremely aggravating. Enemies not challenging enough? Lets make it so you can't aim or fire intermittently.

I got through this by shift-pausing and waiting out the shakes. Worked every time. Still annoying as gently caress though.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I decided to make this and I am not sure why.
Sorry about the quality, I don't export to gif very much.

It's great!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I loved that and I was an infiltrator. The entire last two hours were pretty intense, I liked how they kept changing the situation and throwing stuff at you to deal with. It also added a huge sense of atmosphere and large-scale activity.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

skoolmunkee posted:

I loved that and I was an infiltrator. The entire last two hours were pretty intense, I liked how they kept changing the situation and throwing stuff at you to deal with. It also added a huge sense of atmosphere and large-scale activity.

Yeah, I liked that too and normally I dislike interface screws. It just hammered in how incredibly boned we were and how so much is out of our control at that point.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax

ChronoReverse posted:

Yeah, I liked that too and normally I dislike interface screws. It just hammered in how incredibly boned we were and how so much is out of our control at that point.

I liked the whole frenetic ending battle, too - Especially since I played as a Soldier and the crazy shaking really jibed with the angry spray coming out of my Revenant.

Actually, the "hot landings" were my favorite addition to the combat segments.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

This was by far the hardest part of my Insanity Soldier run. Cannibals that have already gotten buffed by Marauders, regenerating health, armor plating, and a storm of grenades.

Only a bit harder than Marauder Shields. :v:

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Does playing/not playing Arrival make any difference in ME3? I'm nearing the end of the ME2 playthrough that I'll import first and I hate everything about that lovely DLC.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Does anyone have any suggestions on the last part of attacking the reaper base where all the Geth are? I'm at the last part where you're attacked by like three or four Geth Primes. It's an insanity run and I have James and Tali. The geth primes basically kill them in one hit. Oh and I'm playing as an infiltrator.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

skoolmunkee posted:

As an Infiltrator I initially felt that way but ended up loving it because it really helped amplify how hosed everything was. I just paused the combat between shots fired like Hidohebhi and timed my attacks accordingly.

Aristobulus posted:

If it helps, apparently you only need to blame the lead writer, Mac Walters. He apparently wrote the beginning, dream sequences, Kai Leng, and the ending. He also apparently completely cut off the rest of the writing team from having any input on the ending and did it all himself.
So he's responsible for everything completely poo poo awful about the game. Got it.
I'm completely indifferent to Leng so I suppose that's bad unto itself since the game has nothing but great characters otherwise.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Gasoline posted:

Does playing/not playing Arrival make any difference in ME3? I'm nearing the end of the ME2 playthrough that I'll import first and I hate everything about that lovely DLC.

It is referenced a couple of times in the game. However, to my knowledge, it just assumes you have already completed it, since the the game starts with Shepard in a military trial for destroying the Bahak system.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 17, 2012

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on the last part of attacking the reaper base where all the Geth are? I'm at the last part where you're attacked by like three or four Geth Primes. It's an insanity run and I have James and Tali. The geth primes basically kill them in one hit. Oh and I'm playing as an infiltrator.
There's a Geth Spitfire right there. Have Tali Sabotage them and then spit hot angry Geth plasma death at them.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Grey Fox V2 posted:

As an Infiltrator I initially felt that way but ended up loving it because it really helped amplify how hosed everything was. I just paused the combat between shots fired like Hidohebhi and timed my attacks accordingly.

So he's responsible for everything completely poo poo awful about the game. Got it.
I'm completely indifferent to Leng so I suppose that's bad unto itself since the game has nothing but great characters otherwise.

Kai Leng is some sort of garbage MGS-Raiden. Honorable mentions go to Adam Jensen of Deus Ex 3 fame and maybe Hiro Protagonist.

The whole sword thing is really silly, as are his balletic twirl dodges. Phantoms are also really silly, for the same reason.

Also it's very strange to see so many enemies in this game without armor/shields/barriers on Insanity difficulty, since adding extra layers of health was how they did it in ME2, but it makes a lot of sense because adding extra layers of protections only limits your pool of viable skills to basically just overload and maybe warp.

messagemode1 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 17, 2012

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

DerDestroyer posted:

I hope Bioware fires him and he never gets a job in this industry again.

He should've been fired yesterday. I really hope this fuckup haunts him for a long time. That starts with people even realizing that he personally hosed it up and it wasn't the same team that wrote the other amazing 99% of the game.

Those people don't deserve to have their reputation and work ruined by what he did, himself.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

messagemode1 posted:

The whole sword thing is really silly, as are his balletic twirl dodges. Phantoms are also really silly, for the same reason.
Eh, the game makes 'em work. Any complaints that they're frigging balletic ninjas with swords who shouldn't exist in Mass Effect sorta get pre-emptively countered when you start going "wait did that fucker just cartwheel around my bullets, oh god he's in close AND HE'S GOT A SWORD gently caress HELP ME". They're obnoxious, but gently caress it, TIM ain't playing fair.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Just got my N7 Elite Hoodie and wow, yall were not lieing when you said it was nice and thick, I am commander Shepard and this is my favorite hoodie in the Citadel.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Yeah I did that, and spammed my powers as best I could. It still got pretty hairy, but I really loved how I had to fight for every inch. Up to that point my Shepard had been pretty mobile, hardly ever in cover- suddenly I was struggling just to do anything. Getting up the stairs took a few tries and getting a solid position up there felt like an accomplishment. Most of the other maps you've got places to run to or camp out, but not with those hot-drop ones. Great stuff.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
^^^
Agreed. Aside from the final defense of the Thanix missiles it was the most intense part of the game.

messagemode1 posted:

Kai Leng is some sort of garbage MGS-Raiden. Honorable mentions go to Adam Jensen of Deus Ex 3 fame and maybe Hiro Protagonist.

Oh come on Adam Jensen is a stretch unless you're blind to everything but his arm blades. Come on man.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Aristobulus posted:

I don't even see how this is possible. Was he just so swamped with coordinating all of the other writers that he didn't have time to give his sections the time and focus they deserved? Those are some of the laziest and most ham-handed bits of writing in the entire series right there.

BTW, where are you getting this information?

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
The dreams could have been cool if they were radically different each time, with some cuts and some pacing, instead of just adding one little elaboration, but then I'm just a fan of "psychological" segments in games. They obviously want the kid to be some kind of leitmotif but you can throw him into a few different situations, even just recycling other maps. What about chasing him through a haunted Normandy where the doors connect wrong and husks pop out of nowhere?

CapnAndy posted:

Eh, the game makes 'em work. Any complaints that they're frigging balletic ninjas with swords who shouldn't exist in Mass Effect sorta get pre-emptively countered when you start going "wait did that fucker just cartwheel around my bullets, oh god he's in close AND HE'S GOT A SWORD gently caress HELP ME". They're obnoxious, but gently caress it, TIM ain't playing fair.

Yeah, I think it's a fair concession to the medium to give you a new kind of thing to fight, and they're different enough to be challenging and require shifting your tactics. You gotta up the ante somehow (and I loved the riot shield guys).

Speaking of bigger poo poo though, some of the loading screens and the manual talk about being able to shoot out the windshield of an Atlas and kill the pilot and drive it yourself, but has anyone actually been able to do this besides the unoccupied one in Grissom Academy? I did manage to shoot out the glass a couple of times but I couldn't get the guy out of there, and usually everyone is hammering away at it so much it just blows up.

Frogisis fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 17, 2012

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I was able to do that a couple times at the beginning of the game, but near the end my squad and I do so much damage to it that it almost always got destroyed before I could pop in. And even if I did get in, it usually only had a sliver of shield strength left anyway.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Aristobulus posted:

He should've been fired yesterday. I really hope this fuckup haunts him for a long time. That starts with people even realizing that he personally hosed it up and it wasn't the same team that wrote the other amazing 99% of the game.

Those people don't deserve to have their reputation and work ruined by what he did, himself.
Didn't Drew Karpyshyn write the first two games? Why did they pull him from ME3 to write SWTOR :argh:

I just can't believe the entire project's management staff let Walters hide himself away and poo poo out those endings with no other writers' input.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Frogisis posted:

Speaking of bigger poo poo though, some of the loading screens and the manual talk about being able to shoot out the windshield of an Atlas and kill the pilot and drive it yourself, but has anyone actually been able to do this besides the unoccupied one in Grissom Academy? I did manage to shoot out the glass a couple of times but I couldn't get the guy out of there, and usually everyone is hammering away at it so much it just blows up.
I've shattered the glass a few times, but the armor's always so low by the time I do that my shots to kill the pilot blow the mech up :saddowns:

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

CapnAndy posted:

I've shattered the glass a few times, but the armor's always so low by the time I do that my shots to kill the pilot blow the mech up :saddowns:

I did it pretty easily on citadel. First and only time I tried it. Was using the vindicator if that makes a difference

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Frogisis posted:

I did it on normal mode with 2-3 shots from the Javelin. I was calling off my squad the whole time so they wouldn't blow it up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aristobulus posted:

On the one hand, that explains why most of the spoiled bits all felt so jarringly out of place. On the other, who the loving hell tries to write a story by commitee without said committe being in loving constant contact with each other?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Kai Leng might've been alright if some of the combat was scripted or quick-time, perhaps giving you a chance to land some sick renegade burns during verbal exchanges.

Yes, I can't believe I said QT would improve a boss either.

If only because without some kind direct, maybe hand-to-hand confrontation, the battle consists of landing a continous stream of unanswered sniper rifle headshots on him (or maybe charging him over and over, whatevs) while he rags on you for being old and slow :jerkbag:. That kind of squence squarely makes him a member of Team Rocket in the sense that he's extremely confident of victory but fails absolutely at it, without cutscene magic anyway. Testing your [Right Hook] against his wouldn't be quite so bad in the way I'm imagining it anyway.

Less would've been more for his tantō welding antics either if he'd just kept that weapon sheathed aside from sudden strikes with it as opposed to, you know, forever jogging down your iron sights to get in knife range.

Edit:

Frogisis posted:

With armor piercing weapon mods, a heavy sniper rifle and upgraded AP ammo, Garrus once managed to drop the atlas pilot for me before the mech took significant damage. It was neat.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 17, 2012

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
It's taking me forever to play this game between work and other poo poo, so I just got to the part after that business with the Council and some poo poo going down.

And now Kaiden Is asking if he can come join up like everything's cool and he hasn't been a giant shithead two games straight. gently caress you buddy, Garrus and Liara have had my back since day one, where the gently caress have you been. Run off back to the fleet, Lance Henriksen needs a gopher to grab space coffees for him you traitor..

Really wish I could've shoved him out an airlock or something.

Also, the cutscenes in this game seem to assume you picked Soldier for your class, which I guess is understandable but kind of a bummer when you're chasing down Kai Leng and he's getting away and I'm wondering why Shepard doesn't just biotic charge him right in his rear end and then nova him off a cliff like you do every other mook that tries to step up.

Other than that, pretty sweet so far.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
I just got the Schimitar from the Turian Moon and now my Katana is gone. Is this supposed to happen?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Being a Sniper is very useful for stealing an Atlas. Just wait for your guys to shoot the shields out, load up on slow motion + invisibility and fire all you got on the window. Should take it down almost straight away, then next round fire at the guy and he falls out almost every time. Only annoying thing is that you can't board some of the Atlases for some reason, I know the one in the DLC didn't work.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Well I played it with a vanguard. I had 0 medigel and I ran out of ammo killing just one of the primes. After 2 or 3 tries I noticed there was a ladder out, so I said gently caress it, warp charged over there, slid down before the Geth could react and just totally left the fight. My followers teleported down soon after.

I'd assume you can run cover to cover until you're close then cloak yourself and get down the ladder while just ignoring the primes.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Rape Jake. posted:

I just got the Schimitar from the Turian Moon and now my Katana is gone. Is this supposed to happen?

No. That's very weird.

King Zog
Apr 9, 2009
I just started this game, so my impression may be incorrect and will change as I progress through it. I ended up being surprised when conversation wheels were popping up, which is not what I'm used to because in ME2, I felt like I had atleast a few options in a conversation whereas in 3 it seems like Shepard is doing all the talking for me.

Does this change at all? I am two hours into the game, so as I mentioned, I'm probably incorrect.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

Frogisis posted:

Take an upgraded Sniper rifle to the glass of one of those things and shoot it a couple times, then get your achievement and immediately leave the stupid thing due to it being awful :shepface:

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010

iTrust posted:

Take an upgraded Sniper rifle to the glass of one of those things and shoot it a couple times, then get your achievement and immediately leave the stupid thing due to it being awful :shepface:

I'll fight you to the death about that! The Atlas is really awesome to pilot if you focus on only using the shotgun thing they got. The rockets and melee are worthless. Rockets take forever to fire and enemies can dodge roll away from them. Melee, is melee, so yeah. Anyways! The Atlas shotgun thing is awesome, fires pretty quickly and quickly kills enemies. On Normal it'll one-shot everything. On Insanity it'll one-shot health things, 2-shot shielded enemies. I make it a mission itself to take over an Atlas to finish off enemies. You get two freebie Atlas in the game. The biotic kids mission, and the Cerb station mission. The others you gotta work for by taking down shields and sniper shotting the windshield. Though I play infiltrator so it makes it a bit easy to cloak and haul rear end over to jump in.

My only regret is that you can't use a Mech against Reaper forces or Geth troopers. That woulda been a little good experience there. And if they do put out DLC I hope they do include Atlas like that to be used against more troopers because it's criminally underused. Same with manning the gun turrets!

Buuut I guess I always been a little biased with using vehicles, I like 'em. WoW, Lost Planet 1 and 2, and now ME3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

King Zog posted:

I just started this game, so my impression may be incorrect and will change as I progress through it. I ended up being surprised when conversation wheels were popping up, which is not what I'm used to because in ME2, I felt like I had atleast a few options in a conversation whereas in 3 it seems like Shepard is doing all the talking for me.

Does this change at all? I am two hours into the game, so as I mentioned, I'm probably incorrect.
BioWare did a lot of stuff very right for the bulk of ME3, but unfortunately this is largely par for the course. You'll get to make the big calls, choose between different interjections at times, and occasionally have the opportunity to ask about a variety of topics, but on the whole there's a lot more watching and a lot less clicking involved this time round. To be fair, though, conversations do tend to feel more natural and they're often a lot more elaborate in terms of animation and cinematography than most of the chats in ME1 or ME2.

• Locked thread