Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005

Izz posted:

In the comments section of his Facebook post Pratchett says "This is not a Discworld book but you haven't seen the last of the pancake shaped planet."

Depending on how you count it, a Discworld novel after Snuff would be the 40th I think?

Depressing as the thought is, anybody thinking he WON'T make that a final effort and tie up the series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Sammyz posted:

Depending on how you count it, a Discworld novel after Snuff would be the 40th I think?

Depressing as the thought is, anybody thinking he WON'T make that a final effort and tie up the series?

I don't really think he will try to "tie up the series" as it was never really a "series." It's just a world with characters. Life should generally continue on as it always has. I really hope he doesn't try to "finish" it or anything like that.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
The Final Discworld novel was already written. It was called The Last Hero. It nicely fit all the Discworld themes of magic and fantasy cliches and had everyone's favorites have a cameo at some point and would make a perfect ending to the underlying theme of "The fantasy genre is changing".

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

The Final Discworld novel was already written. It was called The Last Hero. It nicely fit all the Discworld themes of magic and fantasy cliches and had everyone's favorites have a cameo at some point and would make a perfect ending to the underlying theme of "The fantasy genre is changing".

Touche, if he were going to write a finale as it were, I'd love to see the Last Hero's follow up where we see cohen and company again.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sammyz posted:

Touche, if he were going to write a finale as it were, I'd love to see the Last Hero's follow up where we see cohen and company again.

Even if there is a followup, it categorically won't be a discworld novel. The horde themselves state that there's nothing left for them on the disc, they've been everywhere, seen and done everything, and they were so pissed off about it that they were going to suicide-bomb the gods themselves. Then they said "gently caress that", stole valkyrie horses and rode off to other worlds. I don't think they're coming back, because there's nothing at all on the disc that they care about, except maybe the old lady heroine, and she'll join them when she's ready.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Sammyz posted:

My illustrated Last Hero book is one of my favorite things on my shelf. I feel like a giddy kid reading it with all the pretty pictures.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
The picture of Leonard on the moon is just so heart-warming. That book is like a big hot bath every time I read it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think I first read Reaper Man about... poo poo, five or six years ago?

I was walking to a cafe to grab a bite to eat for lunch today and it hit me out of nowhere like a smack in the face.

Bill Door.
Bill, as in Billhook.

God drat Terry Pratchett, god drat you.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Flipswitch posted:

I think I first read Reaper Man about... poo poo, five or six years ago?

I was walking to a cafe to grab a bite to eat for lunch today and it hit me out of nowhere like a smack in the face.

Bill Door.
Bill, as in Billhook.

God drat Terry Pratchett, god drat you.

This is going to happen a lot for you.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

SeanBeansShako posted:

No doubt. Took me years to pick up on 'he looks a bit elvish'.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wolfechu posted:

No doubt. Took me years to pick up on 'he looks a bit elvish'.

Just to clarify, that's an Elvis joke right?

Sometimes subtle humor passes me by and I'm left wondering if what I'm laughing at is what I'm supposed to be laughing at.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

SeanBeansShako posted:

That's the wonderous thing about Pratchett. The better my English becomes, the funnier the books get.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ConfusedUs posted:

Just to clarify, that's an Elvis joke right?

Not quite so much in that particular instance, but later on it is.

Imp is working in a chip shop and one of Susan's schoolmates says she'd swear he was elvish. It's a riff on the old Kirsty McColl song, "There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis".

Flipswitch: I know people who took longer than you took getting that joke to realise that the miniature lifetimer given to Death when the Auditors retired him is an hourglass equivalent of a gold fob watch. Don't feel bad about it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jedit posted:

the miniature lifetimer given to Death when the Auditors retired him is an hourglass equivalent of a gold fob watch.

Son of a bitch.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

SeanBeansShako posted:

I still don't get this joke :(

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

AXE COP posted:

I still don't get this joke :(

I don't get it either, but maybe it's because I'm American? Sounds like a British joke.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I had to look it up, but apparently a billhook is a type of scythe. I think it's a bit of a stretch, but it's possible Pterry had it in mind when Death picked his pseudonym.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

wheatpuppy posted:

I had to look it up, but apparently a billhook is a type of scythe. I think it's a bit of a stretch, but it's possible Pterry had it in mind when Death picked his pseudonym.

"Possible" is not the word.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I thought it was a Bill Gates pun when I first read it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

wheatpuppy posted:

I wouldn't ever rule out the possibility of a pune in Pratchett, but I'd say this was more of a happy coincidence because the name is suggested to him by Renata Flitworth. She basically says "You've got to be a Bill or a Tom or a Jack or something", and he says YES, I'M ONE OF THOSE. THE FIRST ONE.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I thought I was pretty good for these, having got a few that some of my colleagues/friends had missed and thought I was pretty switched on. Pratchett proves me wrong. :negative: Billhook is so in your face that I don't know how I missed it.

Would be interesting to see if there is a collaboration of all these jokes to see which ones I have missed.

Jedit posted:

Not quite so much in that particular instance, but later on it is.

Imp is working in a chip shop and one of Susan's schoolmates says she'd swear he was elvish. It's a riff on the old Kirsty McColl song, "There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis".

Flipswitch: I know people who took longer than you took getting that joke to realise that the miniature lifetimer given to Death when the Auditors retired him is an hourglass equivalent of a gold fob watch. Don't feel bad about it.
I got both of these, thank Christ, had I missed them I would stop reading them entirely out of shame.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Jedit posted:

I wouldn't ever rule out the possibility of a pune in Pratchett, but I'd say this was more of a happy coincidence because the name is suggested to him by Renata Flitworth. She basically says "You've got to be a Bill or a Tom or a Jack or something", and he says YES, I'M ONE OF THOSE. THE FIRST ONE.

Well, yeah, because he is a Bill. He's an instrument of reaping.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Stop making it worse guys, I'm a city boy, that's my excuse.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Well, yeah, because he is a Bill. He's an instrument of reaping.

That's not the way it's played, though. I dug out the book, here's the scene:

Reaper Man, by Terry Pratchett posted:

'What is your name?'
The stranger stared at her for a moment, then looked around wildly.
'Come on', said Miss Flitworth. 'I ain't employing no-one with no name. Mr...?'
The figure stared upwards.
MR SKY?
'No-one's called Mr Sky.'
MR ... DOOR?
She nodded.
'Could be. Could be Mr Door. There was a chap called Doors I knew once. Yeah. Mr Door. And your first name? Don't tell me you haven't got one of those, too. You've got to be a Bill or a Tom or a Bruce or one of those names.'
YES.
'What?'
ONE OF THOSE.
'Which one?'
ER. THE FIRST ONE?
'You're a Bill?'
YES?

Death is basically completely unsure all the way through the naming, even when asked if he's a Bill. And yet he's in no way unsure that he is still a reaper; at the end of the scene when Miss Flitworth asks him if he can use a scythe, he replies I THINK THE ANSWER TO THAT IS A DEFINITE 'YES'.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Just because Death doesn't know, doesn't mean TP didn't know. I rather think he did.

Also, while there's lots of stuff I 'get' in his books, I am certain I will have missed tonnes of stuff, even though I've read each book umpteen times. Meh.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The way the joke is introduced doesn't change the joke either regardless.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

A billhook is used for chopping down small trees and shrubs, and for taming hedgerows. It's used by a harvester in the same way a hammer is - i.e. not all the time, for specific tasks. Subtle though Pratchett may be, I really think you're looking too hard for another meaning in Death going "ERM, YES, I'M THAT FIRST ONE, BILL".

You don't have to be all "Door! Holy poo poo! He's referencing the bit in Hat Full Of Sky where Tiffany shows the Hiver how to die, and death is referred to as a door! That's amazing!". It's already a busy enough exchange with you seeing that this creature really doesn't know how to be human to such an extent that he can't come up with a name, while at the same time he is human enough to be all socially awkward and make the scene funny.

It also helps contrast him with the alternate Death near the end of the book. He plumps for the first suggested name (which is also the most generic one) because he's trying to fit in - Mrs Flitworth sees through this attempt to create a false identity but thinks it's because he's a person hiding from the taxman rather than being a one-dimensional personification of death in the form of an animate skeleton trying to get a job as a farmer in an attempt to understand a bit about human life.

Still, I might be wrong, and if it adds to your enjoyment of the book to think Death's named himself after some farm tool because scythes then that's cool.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Well, he could be and I never thought the Bill bit was all that strong as a link, personally.

Pterry can make weak associations, ptoo.

Also, :argh: REVENOO :argh:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I heard a few complaints about Goblins suddenly appearing in Discworld in Unseen Academicals and Snuff. I thought so, too, but I reread Equal Rites and noticed that goblins WERE referenced in it.

Gnolls were bit more violent then and they're described as "a sort of stone goblin."

Goblins were also employed by Dwarves to basically hit things with hammers.

So the Goblins weren't COMPLETELY added out of the blue, just very, very underutilized for 20 years.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 20, 2012

Chaos Sonic
Apr 5, 2007

Mighty Kraken posted:

It is just me? Or would it be interesting to see a team up of Sam Vimes and Granny Weatherwax? Just the clashing their personalities would be something to see.

Mister Roboto posted this about 20 pages ago, and it's just what you're looking for.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Mister Roboto posted:

I heard a few complaints about Goblins suddenly appearing in Discworld in Unseen Academicals and Snuff. I thought so, too, but I reread Equal Rites and noticed that goblins WERE referenced in it.

Gnolls were bit more violent then and they're described as "a sort of stone goblin."

Goblins were also employed by Dwarves to basically hit things with hammers.

So the Goblins weren't COMPLETELY added out of the blue, just very, very underutilized for 20 years.

Orcs though, orcs came out of nowhere and were briefly built up in UU to be this terrifyingly destructive force that we had heard absolutely nothing about before, save perhaps one or two throwaway lines in The Colour of Magic. I was really pretty annoyed about that, and it's still one of the reasons I dislike UU.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They'd mentioned Igors making nasty weapons for the vampires and other stuff in Uberwald though. It didn't really feel completely out of nowhere to me but I could see why it would. Didn't really enjoy UA too much either though but mostly because of other stuff.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It helps that the Igors absolutely own, though.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Middle-man shenanigans, in their case.

Thorry, cathe.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

rejutka posted:

Middle-man shenanigans, in their case.

Thorry, cathe.

Everything about Igors own from their pets upward.

"Thcrapth."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
My family just lost our own little Greebo.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I am currently rereading guards guards, just found this gem: "Yea, the king will come bringing Law and Justice, and know nothing but the Truth and Protect and Serve the People with his Sword."

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

Iacen posted:

I have actually myself avoided Nation, for no other reason than "It's not Discworld:reject:" but I have to get it now after these glowing recommendations.
It's... it's still funny, right?

Chiming in kinda late with the Nation love, I was like this as well initially - untill somone bought me a copy as a gift, it's definitely a fantastic read, rather poignant also

Also, how is everyone forgetting to mention the Arboreal Tree Octopus!? I really want one as a pet, so much! :3:

aziraphale60
Oct 13, 2006
I just got here, did discworld get cancelled or something? what are you guys talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

aziraphale60 posted:

I just got here, did discworld get cancelled or something? what are you guys talking about?

he's got alzheimer's dude

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)