Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BonzoESC posted:

At MIA a week ago:

(click for big)

If you look on the right you can see one of Boeing's Dreamlifters.
It's been there for a month now laff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

posting this from the inside of an air plane :whatup:

edit: Unfortunately the widespread adoption of WiFi throughout Delta's fleet is making it easier and easier for my work to find me.

I've been flying AA more this year, and the lack of wifi gives me the shakes.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Now you can own a ME-163!
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=276309655

quote:

Mon, Mar 12, 2012
Rare ME163B Komet Offered In Online Auction
Airplane Salvaged From Nazi Germany

An extremely rare aviation artifact popped up on an online auction site earlier this week: an ME163B Komet salvaged from Nazi Germany. According to Wikipedia, the Komet was the only rocket-powered fighter aircraft ever to be operational.

The item is described as an original example of the airplane "with original controls, engine, drive train...everything down to the mk canons-and it is completely functional." The seller says the airplane is fully documented and is currently stored in Germany.

The seller says that following a mission in early 1945, the airplane caught fire just after landing. However, the fire was quickly extinguished and caused only minor external damage.

The airplane was reportedly moved to a salvage area, and was hidden by a group of Luftwaffe officers until after the end of the war. It has been reconstructed, he says, with "all original materials" unless none were available. In that case, the materials used ware fabricated according to the manufacturing processes used during the war. The seller says the plane is "85 percent complete," with only the tail section left to restore.

The seller claims that there are only seven of the planes left in existence. The current "Buy Now" price on the airplane is just under $1 million U.S. Shipping to the United States is estimated at between $15,000 and $20,000. The seller estimates the plane's value between $3.2 and $4.5 million. There is no reserve, but the seller has asked that the bidding start at $650,000 ... no takers so far. The auction will end on March 17th. (Image: Komet on display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force, Dayton, Ohio.)
http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=af85ed42-3726-458c-9264-fc5544cfdd8f

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Mother of God. Where's an eccentric rich uncle when you need one?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Dr JonboyG posted:

You should probably steer clear of the Air and Space Museum in San Diego then. They have an A-12 outside the front that is looking sadder and sadder each year.
As of yesterday:

And an album with those in hi-res as well as a slew of other shots: http://imgur.com/a/FOMJD

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

grover posted:

I know I've seen that aircraft in the foreground before, but I can't recall its name. Nevertheless, I didn't expect to see that there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I believe it's an XF2Y Sea Dart. The things sticking out the bottom are hydrofoils. Pretty unique plane -- the only supersonic seaplane ever built, if I'm not mistaken.

[e] well it says YF2Y on the tail so I guess it's actually one of those. Xs are experimental, Ys are pre-production prototype.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Sagebrush posted:

I believe it's an XF2Y Sea Dart. The things sticking out the bottom are hydrofoils. Pretty unique plane -- the only supersonic seaplane ever built, if I'm not mistaken.

[e] well it says YF2Y on the tail so I guess it's actually one of those. Xs are experimental, Ys are pre-production prototype.
Yes, it's a YF2Y-1 Sea Dart, #135763, the third one built, and was closer to a production model than the first two prototypes. It was used in tests in the San Diego bay, and did one open ocean test, after which the program was promptly cancelled. Turns out that high speed seaplanes don't work very well- vibrations were extremely bad, and the skis couldn't dampen them like they'd hoped. The aircraft didn't perform all that well in the air, either. The 2nd prototype reached supersonic speeds in a shallow dive, thus entering the history books, but later disintegrated in mid-air during testing, killing the pilot.

edit to add another photo of #135763:

grover fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 16, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It also looks very similar (gee, I wonder why) to the more prolific F-102 and F-106, so it's more likely you've seen one of those.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Gaaahhh....I can't find the photos (yet) I shot at Willow Grove NAS (PA) back in the mid-80s. They had a Sea Dart and a Seiran parked right along the fence on Rt. 611, along with a number of other planes.

The Seiran is now down at the Smithsoniam, I believe in line to be restored. The Japanese want it bad, since all theirs went down with their subs.

Don't know what happened to the Sea Dart.

(edit) whoops...looks like they finished the Seiran: http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?id=A19630308000

(edit2) arg....for all those years I thought it was a Seiran. It's a Rex: (here's someone else's pictire from that time):

http://www.aviastar.org/air/japan/kawanishi_n1k.php

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 17, 2012

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Godholio posted:

It also looks very similar (gee, I wonder why) to the more prolific F-102 and F-106, so it's more likely you've seen one of those.

Nope, it was the Sea Dart that I saw. Not in person obviously, I came across it doing research into navy aviation and forgot most of the info on it. I knew it was supposed to be a seaplane, and was experimental and never went anywhere, but I couldn't remember the name. Also, the Navy didn't fly -102s and -106s, and you can plainly read the NAVY on the tail.

Thanks for refreshing my memory Grover and Joat Mon.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 17, 2012

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PainterofCrap posted:

(edit2) arg....for all those years I thought it was a Seiran. It's a Rex: (here's someone else's pictire from that time):

http://www.aviastar.org/air/japan/kawanishi_n1k.php

The single remaining Seiran is at the Smithsonian, but I can see how you'd get the two confused as they look a *lot* alike. God bless "For obscure doctrine reasons we need floatplane versions of our modern fighters."

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Sea Dart wasn't area ruled.

I survived a flight on an ATR 72 tonight into Key West. This was my first time flying on a turboprop powered aircraft that wasn't military, and jesus christ all turboprop airliners need to be destroyed. Most unpleasant flying experience of my life, hands down. At least with the grey tails I know to bring earplugs, but silly me, I thought that an airliner would have at least a modicum of soundproofing. I was apparently incorrect.

Nebakenezzer posted:

God bless "For obscure doctrine reasons we need floatplane versions of our modern fighters."

Wasn't just the IJN:

I give you, the Wildcatfish. (Although it never actually entered production.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iyaayas01 posted:

jesus christ all turboprop airliners need to be destroyed.

Aw, come on, they're fun. I fly fairly regularly on Saab 340s and I actually enjoy the ride more than any jet airliner. The humming whirr of the engines is like soothing white noise and the bouncing, vibrating ride is like being rocked to sleep. Really quite nice. I am completely serious.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Sagebrush posted:

Aw, come on, they're fun. I fly fairly regularly on Saab 340s and I actually enjoy the ride more than any jet airliner. The humming whirr of the engines is like soothing white noise and the bouncing, vibrating ride is like being rocked to sleep. Really quite nice. I am completely serious.

Maybe it's different on the 340 then because that actually does sound nice, but the ATR 72 was literally the most miserable and uncomfortable flying experience I've ever had, and I've flown on military airlifters, flown in all sorts of weather, flown cattle class on United on a trans-Pacific flight...still worse than any of that, and it was only like 40 minutes long. I'm not sure if the ATR was louder than the (no-soundproofing) C-130J I flew on, but I can definitely say that the ATR (which is supposedly soundproofed) without earplugs was a good order of magnitude louder than the C-130 with earplugs.

I'm okay with yelling to the person next to me be heard without an interphone on a military airlifter, but on an airliner being forced to resort to that is kind of ridiculous.

e: I will say that I was in row 5 so I was right in line with the props, which I'm sure had something to do with the noise, but even accounting for that it was still the most miserable flying experience I've had.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I didn't find the ATR to be that bad, but I still have recent memories of 737-200s without hush kits.
They did it to transports as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Looked up the 340 out of curiosity and I found this

quote:

One of the improvements introduced in the 340B Plus was the installation of an active noise and vibration control system in the cabin, reducing noise and vibration levels by about 10 dB during cruising flight.

Welp. Still, I've flown on EMB-120s a few times and they didn't seem too awful either. Maybe your particular plane was missing some soundproofing?

VVVV yes it was, only the 102 prototype had a tubular fuselage. They redesigned it halfway through when flight tests showed it was a pig. And the F-106 itself was basically just a heavily modified F-102 that they decided to give a new designation.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 17, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Sea Dart wasn't area ruled.

Neither was the F-102, which is why the 106 replaced it so fast.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Advent Horizon posted:

I didn't find the ATR to be that bad, but I still have recent memories of 737-200s without hush kits.

They did it to transports as well.

Maybe I'm just spoiled then, since I've never really experienced flying on a non-hush kitted legacy turbofan aircraft like a -200. Were those Alaska's you flew on?

Godholio posted:

Neither was the F-102, which is why the 106 replaced it so fast.

As stated above, they did after the prototype...one of the first (if not the first) projects Whitcomb applied the area rule to after discovering it was the F-102. I was going to make a comment that if we were truly sperging, saying the F-106 was just a highly modified F-102 was a bit of a stretch since the Six had an all new engine, all new avionics, and heavily modified airframe and intakes, but then I remembered that the Navy did all that and kept the same designation, so...:v:.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iyaayas01 posted:

but then I remembered that the Navy did all that and kept the same designation, so...:v:.

I've heard that the Super Hornet is essentially an all-new aircraft that just happens to look a hell of a lot like an original Hornet in order to get the people in procurement to believe it's an "upgrade" instead of a new model. It's like 25% larger and heavier than the old version and everything from the pilot's seat back is a new part. Literally the only commonalities are the gun, radar, and ejection seat, or something ridiculous like that.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Sagebrush posted:

I've heard that the Super Hornet is essentially an all-new aircraft that just happens to look a hell of a lot like an original Hornet in order to get the people in procurement to believe it's an "upgrade" instead of a new model. It's like 25% larger and heavier than the old version and everything from the pilot's seat back is a new part. Literally the only commonalities are the gun, radar, and ejection seat, or something ridiculous like that.

Pretty much. Except the radar and most of the avionics were upgraded/replaced very soon after it declared IOC (as well as adding a JHMCS capability), so all that is for all intents and purposes new as well. I don't blame the Navy for doing what they did, because their stupid decisions regarding the A-12 and the NATF got them between a rock and a hard place regarding a replacement for the A-6/A-7/F-14. I've said it before numerous times, but the insistence on moving towards an all LO-fleet has been the worst thing to happen to U.S. tacair (both USAF and USN/USMC) over the past 25 years.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Maybe I'm just spoiled then, since I've never really experienced flying on a non-hush kitted legacy turbofan aircraft like a -200. Were those Alaska's you flew on?

As stated above, they did after the prototype...one of the first (if not the first) projects Whitcomb applied the area rule to after discovering it was the F-102. I was going to make a comment that if we were truly sperging, saying the F-106 was just a highly modified F-102 was a bit of a stretch since the Six had an all new engine, all new avionics, and heavily modified airframe and intakes, but then I remembered that the Navy did all that and kept the same designation, so...:v:.

Holy gently caress, they built almost 900 of them in two years! I knew it was a short production run, but I didn't realize there were that many.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

iyaayas01 posted:

I'm pretty sure Alaska's had hush kits, though they were still drat loud.

Shared Services Aviation (the oil industry joint venture for Prudhoe flights) didn't bother to hush kit theirs because they were under no obligation to spend the money. I have suspicions they also had a 'sound deadening delete' option. It was probably cheaper to hand us all a lifetime supply of ear plugs than haul around insulation.

Aside from the noise they were better planes to fly than the Alaska 200s. They had regular size bins and you loaded from the front. Of course, they crammed in the 'Japanese commuter' spec seats and layout, so that sucked. I'm 5'6" and not a large guy so I could honestly care less about leg and rear end room.

I've been told that back when they ran 727s it was a lot like riding a roller coaster. The pilots knew you wouldn't complain so they'd launch like a fighter jet to get above the weather. That probably also helped the liquor sales onboard return flights :v:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

iyaayas01 posted:

Maybe it's different on the 340 then because that actually does sound nice, but the ATR 72 was literally the most miserable and uncomfortable flying experience I've ever had, and I've flown on military airlifters, flown in all sorts of weather, flown cattle class on United on a trans-Pacific flight...still worse than any of that, and it was only like 40 minutes long. I'm not sure if the ATR was louder than the (no-soundproofing) C-130J I flew on, but I can definitely say that the ATR (which is supposedly soundproofed) without earplugs was a good order of magnitude louder than the C-130 with earplugs.

Maybe it was an older model 72?

I've flown a bit on ATR 72-500s and really like them compared to the rattly old 737-200s they replaced and they don't seem unduly noisy compared to the newer 737s and A320s you get on the same routes at busier times

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

dissss posted:

Maybe it was an older model 72?

I've flown a bit on ATR 72-500s and really like them compared to the rattly old 737-200s they replaced and they don't seem unduly noisy compared to the newer 737s and A320s you get on the same routes at busier times

Whatever American Eagle is using to fly from MIA to EYW.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From NatGeo: A 23-second exposure in a camera mounted in the tail of a Lockheed TriStar jet captures the lights of the airport runway and the city beyond.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Gorilla Salad posted:

From NatGeo: A 23-second exposure in a camera mounted in the tail of a Lockheed TriStar jet captures the lights of the airport runway and the city beyond.

Sounds like a simple shot until you think about it. What camera do you use to take a shot like that? How do you actuate the shutter? Would it survive high altitude flight? What kind of paperwork do you have to fill out to make a "modification" to a commercial aircraft? Surely someone was worried about a FOD scenario.

All of that considered, that's a pretty amazing photo.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

Maybe it's different on the 340 then...

My job is almost exclusively Saab 340 maintenance. They're a bit loud on the ground but quiet down nicely once you get in the air. The real trick is to not sit in the first 3 rows if at all possible. A lot of the later B-models also have a noise-cancelling system installed in the cabin that (when calibrated properly, which few facilities seem to be able get right) attenuates the noise by about 6dB.

The last ATR I flew on had a couple of loose interior sidewall panels, hooked in at the top but not completely seated on the bottom. *rattlerattlerattlerattle* for 2.5 hours. Ugh.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rcman50166 posted:

Sounds like a simple shot until you think about it. What camera do you use to take a shot like that? How do you actuate the shutter? Would it survive high altitude flight? What kind of paperwork do you have to fill out to make a "modification" to a commercial aircraft? Surely someone was worried about a FOD scenario.

An SLR, gaffers tape, a giant rear end suction mount, and a remote shutter.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Gorilla Salad posted:

I appreciate the effort that went into capturing the shot but it's not really that great. It looks really good as thumbnail though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

rcman50166 posted:

None of that actually matters, as that shot was taken during the test program for the Tristar. Since the prototype Tristar is technically an experimental aircraft, Lockheed could do pretty much whatever they wanted to it in terms of camera mounts and the like - in fact, that camera position was likely used at some point during flight testing for other purposes.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

So yesterday I took a trip to a really big square building

I went inside this loving HUGE building and inside was the new.

But hark something else was here too tucked away in a corner was this old thing.

I have many other pictures too, most decent wall paper sized if you guys are interested. So yeah I finally was able to make a trip I have always wanted to make to see the Cape and The KSC, it was awesome

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You'd better start posting them.

I wish I could've gone in the VAB, but it wasn't open to the public when I was there. I will definitely loving go back though.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Gunbus posted:

But hark something else was here too tucked away in a corner was this old thing.

Definitely a kick in the pants for me to get working on my plan to see the last landing of Discovery...

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boomerjinks posted:

Definitely a kick in the pants for me to get working on my plan to see the last landing of Discovery...

It's a shame you won't get the two sonic booms it usually made landing at KSC.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

BonzoESC posted:

I will always, ALWAYS regret not getting to see a launch or a proper landing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BonzoESC posted:

:ssh: every supersonic object makes two sonic booms

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

:ssh: every supersonic object makes two sonic booms

I don't think the 747 it flies around on is supersonic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Gunbus posted:

I have many other pictures too, most decent wall paper sized if you guys are interested. So yeah I finally was able to make a trip I have always wanted to make to see the Cape and The KSC, it was awesome

You have to ask?