Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Rather Dashing posted:

I remember when I was a kid my dad got a demo disk from a magazine that included a trial of a first person rpg type game. I really don't remember much other than it being mostly above ground (so not Ultima Underworld) and inn keepers telling me that their services were second to none. I think I sunk a good amount of time into through finding it would sort of glitch out if you went through the sewers and you'd end up in these weird town spaces.

Any ideas?

Ravenloft? Legends of Valour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

Rather Dashing posted:

I remember when I was a kid my dad got a demo disk from a magazine that included a trial of a first person rpg type game. I really don't remember much other than it being mostly above ground (so not Ultima Underworld) and inn keepers telling me that their services were second to none. I think I sunk a good amount of time into through finding it would sort of glitch out if you went through the sewers and you'd end up in these weird town spaces.

Any ideas?

Legends of Valour?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Looks like it was Legends of Valour, awesome. I'll have to see about getting a copy now.

Thanks!

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Side on "jump around platform game"

1 or 2 players

You traveled around the world sucking up ghosts/monsters with a big vaccume cleaner you wore on your back, releasing the fire button would fire them back across the screen to bump into and kill other monsters. If you held the sucked up monsters to long your vaccume would explode!

Has the same look to it as the Japanese game "Pang" its possible the charactors are meant to be the same guys.

You can star where ever in the world you want too and there are boss stages every now and then

Polar Bond
Jun 21, 2011
I know this is a very long shot, but I'm looking for an old Commodore 64 game involving an isometric 3D checkerboard full of traps. Dangers included bombs and giant boots (or feet?) trying to crush you. I think these were shown on the cover of the game and my sister believes it may also have featured some kind of witch.

Any suggestion would be very welcome!

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Side on "jump around platform game"

1 or 2 players

You traveled around the world sucking up ghosts/monsters with a big vaccume cleaner you wore on your back, releasing the fire button would fire them back across the screen to bump into and kill other monsters. If you held the sucked up monsters to long your vaccume would explode!

Has the same look to it as the Japanese game "Pang" its possible the charactors are meant to be the same guys.

You can star where ever in the world you want too and there are boss stages every now and then

Tumblepop.

Polar Bond posted:

I know this is a very long shot, but I'm looking for an old Commodore 64 game involving an isometric 3D checkerboard full of traps. Dangers included bombs and giant boots (or feet?) trying to crush you. I think these were shown on the cover of the game and my sister believes it may also have featured some kind of witch.

Could this be Gridtrap?

Plinth fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 9, 2012

Polar Bond
Jun 21, 2011

Plinth posted:

Could this be Gridtrap?
It is! I don't know why I remembered it being in isometric 3D, but I recognize the cover. Thanks a lot, it was driving me crazy!

Edit: apparently, there was both a C16 and a C64 version. I guess the C64 might have had isometric 3D graphics.

Polar Bond fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 9, 2012

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Locked, cocked, and polygonally rifled... This creature fears nothing.
This is a longshot but I remember renting an NES game way back when that had a first person view like in shadowgate, but may have had a play style more like Eye of the Beholder. I remember getting a short way into the game every time and happening upon a fall of brown rocks and a little waterfall and pool area and getting stuck. If I recall coorectly, it was because every time you checked out the water some kind of fairies or will o wisps came out and kicked my rear end. My memory is probably faulty as hell, but I've been trying to remember this game for something like 15 years now.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Sir Azrael posted:

This is a longshot but I remember renting an NES game way back when that had a first person view like in shadowgate, but may have had a play style more like Eye of the Beholder. I remember getting a short way into the game every time and happening upon a fall of brown rocks and a little waterfall and pool area and getting stuck. If I recall coorectly, it was because every time you checked out the water some kind of fairies or will o wisps came out and kicked my rear end. My memory is probably faulty as hell, but I've been trying to remember this game for something like 15 years now.

Swords and Serpents, Wizardry, Wizardry 2, Pool of Radiance, or The Bard's Tale?

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

ponzicar posted:

Swords and Serpents, Wizardry, Wizardry 2, Pool of Radiance, or The Bard's Tale?

Nope.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001
Dungeon Magic?

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

jack. posted:

Dungeon Magic?

I'm becoming increasingly certain that it was some sort of point and click adventure. This one doesn't match up.

Edit: Theoretically it could have been an SNES title with relatively crummy graphics as I did own one at the time...

Sir Azrael fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 12, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Sir Azrael posted:

I'm becoming increasingly certain that it was some sort of point and click adventure. This one doesn't match up.

Edit: Theoretically it could have been an SNES title with relatively crummy graphics as I did own one at the time...
Drakkhen?

Golbez fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 12, 2012

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Sir Azrael posted:

SNES did get a version of Eye of the Beholder.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
There was a game that came bundled with our turn-of-the-millenium PC. It was in glorious hardware-accelerated 3d. The gist was that you were defending a base from an alien attack. You'd transition from turret-gunning to hover-car driving to airship-piloting as the game progressed. I seem to remember that the one constant between it all was your home base. Its "health" carried across all the different styles of play, and once it reached zero the game was over no matter what you were doing.

I could swear the game was called "Rage" or "Fury" or something similar, which makes googling for it pretty difficult. It definitely wasn't the Battlezone remake from around that time.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it was actually from the late 90s, because I remember playing Motocross Madness on the same PC, and youtube tells me that came out in '98.

microwave casserole fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 12, 2012

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

microwave casserole posted:

There was a game that came bundled with our turn-of-the-millenium PC. It was in glorious hardware-accelerated 3d. The gist was that you were defending a base from an alien attack. You'd transition from turret-gunning to hover-car driving to airship-piloting as the game progressed. I seem to remember that the one constant between it all was your home base. Its "health" carried across all the different styles of play, and once it reached zero the game was over no matter what you were doing.

I could swear the game was called "Rage" or "Fury" or something similar, which makes googling for it pretty difficult. It definitely wasn't the Battlezone remake from around that time.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it was actually from the late 90s, because I remember playing Motocross Madness on the same PC, and youtube tells me that came out in '98.

Incoming?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incoming

Edit: Developed by Rage Software.

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Neither of those fit, though the SNES version of EotB seems the closest match so far. It's entirely possible that I'm mixing two different games up or something. The only thing I clearly remember are some fairy/wispy things continually murdering my rear end regardless of what I tried to do to them.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing

HoldYourFire posted:

Incoming?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incoming

Edit: Developed by Rage Software.

Yep, that's it! Thanks!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
My only real memory of Incoming was that it had some ridiculous techno version of "Old McDonald had a farm" as one of the audio tracks on the CD.

Wonder if that exists anywhere on Youtube nowadays...

Edit: Hahahaha, yes it does.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I seem to recall this one Zelda clone where you played as Thor, and the villain was Loki. You threw your hammer around and collected apples, including golden ones, and it came on one of those weird CDs of like 100 DOS games. What was it?

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
God of Thunder. The first episode was shareware.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know if this game even exists or not but I recall playing it on the NES. I think it's a single-screen arcade style game like Popeye or Donkey Kong. You either play as mice escaping a cat or as the cat trying to catch the mice. Balloons might have been involved. It was also pretty tough.

There was also another cat game that was a sidescroller and you main weapon was a gun with a boxing glove. It had some pretty neat bosses like an indian that would do a rain dance and blow you off the stage.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I'd guess Mappy Land: http://www.mobygames.com/game/mappy-land

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

ya mappyland or the original arcade mappy.

I've been trying to find the name of a game for awhile. It was based on norse mythology I think. A survival game where at night you would place bungee stick traps and pray that a ferret didn't kill you in your sleep.

I had originally read about it here at SA

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Zip posted:

ya mappyland or the original arcade mappy.

I've been trying to find the name of a game for awhile. It was based on norse mythology I think. A survival game where at night you would place bungee stick traps and pray that a ferret didn't kill you in your sleep.

I had originally read about it here at SA

Unreal World.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

scamtank posted:

Unreal World.

I'm practically cheering right now. I really liked that game and couldnt remember the name for so long.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Joe Man posted:

I'd guess Mappy Land: http://www.mobygames.com/game/mappy-land

drat, what a rough looking game especially for 1989. My other title was Rockin' Kats.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Hello thread!

I'm trying to remember this 3D first-person (I believe) tank/robot battle arcade game from the early/mid 90s. It was very colorful, you could play against another person I think (or maybe just the CPU), and I want to say you could jump. I think it may have been a full fancy sit-down cabinet, but I'm nearly certain it had two joysticks to control movement. The tanks/robots were bright green and may have had something to do with frogs? Or maybe I'm crazy??

I used to confuse it with Jumping Flash! for some reason that escapes me. I can tell you it's not Battlezone and it's not Virtual On, but that's about all I've got. Any help is appreciated :shobon:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
First thing that comes to mind for me is Cyber Sled.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Golbez posted:

First thing that comes to mind for me is Cyber Sled.

That's it! No wonder I couldn't find it in a google search, what a crappy name :I

Thanks a lot!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ok this one is kind of strange. This was an ancient PC game and I think I might have only had the demo version. Anyway the game was about designing and fighting dragons.

You could change their body plan and tweak all the variables associated with how they fought. For instance you could give them a long neck and make them sweep their head back and forth to make sure they could always track their opponent but the neck was extra vulnerable to the other dragon's fire. This was all done with kind of grainy topdown 2d. You didn't actually have any control once the fight started. I think my best design was a two legged dragon with a squat body that hopped left and right while shooting long range but low damage fireballs.

Any ideas?

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 30, 2012

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

Ok this one is kind of strange. This was an ancient PC game and I think I might have only had the demo version. Anyway the game was about designing and fighting dragons.

You could change their body plan and tweak all the variables associated with how they fought. For instance you could give them a long neck and make them sweep their head back and forth to make sure they could always track their opponent but the neck was extra vulnerable to the other dragon's fire. This was all done with kind of grainy topdown 2d. You didn't actually have any control once the fight started. I think my best design was a two legged dragon with a squat body that hopped left and right while shooting long range but low damage fireballs.

Any ideas?

Dragonlord, maybe?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Nope, I actually don't think it was presented with any fantasy trappings. Just straight top down fire breathing lizards fighting each other.

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

7c Nickel posted:

Nope, I actually don't think it was presented with any fantasy trappings. Just straight top down fire breathing lizards fighting each other.

This is probably Pyrosaurus.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

A Classy Ghost posted:

This is probably Pyrosaurus.

YES! Thank you.

In the back of my mind I kept thinking that they were maybe supposed to be dinosaurs, but I kept dismissing that because they definitely breathed fire. Of course the answer is they were Pyrosaurs.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

Hello thread!

I'm trying to remember this 3D first-person (I believe) tank/robot battle arcade game from the early/mid 90s. It was very colorful, you could play against another person I think (or maybe just the CPU), and I want to say you could jump. I think it may have been a full fancy sit-down cabinet, but I'm nearly certain it had two joysticks to control movement. The tanks/robots were bright green and may have had something to do with frogs? Or maybe I'm crazy??

I used to confuse it with Jumping Flash! for some reason that escapes me. I can tell you it's not Battlezone and it's not Virtual On, but that's about all I've got. Any help is appreciated :shobon:

Spectre? I don't know if it was ever in an arcade but it has the bright green tanks and I think there may have been jumping.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

Hello thread!

T-MEK and you might be thinking of the acid tanks?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

duckfarts posted:

T-MEK and you might be thinking of the acid tanks?

Pretty sure you can't jump in t-mek, somebody mentioned cyber sled which sounds right to me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Unfortunately I don't have a lot to go on with this one.

It's an early RTS that I played on Win95 a while ago (and it probably came out before or not long after 1995). It was futuristic and set on far away planets. I don't think it actually had humans in it but one of the units were humanoids. I distinctly remember blue being a predominate unit color while the terrain was barren and craggy with crystals and ore. The units were big, bright, and colorful. It basically looked like Starcraft rendered in Warcraft 2's engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

al-azad posted:

Unfortunately I don't have a lot to go on with this one.

It's an early RTS that I played on Win95 a while ago (and it probably came out before or not long after 1995). It was futuristic and set on far away planets. I don't think it actually had humans in it but one of the units were humanoids. I distinctly remember blue being a predominate unit color while the terrain was barren and craggy with crystals and ore. The units were big, bright, and colorful. It basically looked like Starcraft rendered in Warcraft 2's engine.

Try War Wind.