Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GabrielAisling posted:

My biggest expense is currently meat. My boyfriend's food groups consist of chicken nuggets and other meats, pizza, ketchup, fried potatoes and beer. He'll eat onions if I hide them in hamburger, but will use all sorts of tricks to get out of eating/trying vegetables. Mostly he'll cover his plate in meat and bread and then claim he's full when I point out he hasn't eaten his corn (which he claims to like and I can get in abundance because my grandfather has no sense of scale when planting corn). Essentially I need to hide vegetables in his meat to make the meat last longer and make him eat something that might keep him alive past 30 and keep my food budget below bank-breaking.

You could try telling your boyfriend to stop being such a big babby. Just make him sit at a tiny little plastic neon table until he eats like a grownup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Hahahaha that's great. When I was younger, like, very young, the main way I got multiple vegetables was in blended soups. Can he do soups? They're great for filling you up and cutting back the meat consumption.

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

GabrielAisling posted:

My biggest expense is currently meat. My boyfriend's food groups consist of chicken nuggets and other meats, pizza, ketchup, fried potatoes and beer. He'll eat onions if I hide them in hamburger, but will use all sorts of tricks to get out of eating/trying vegetables.
Yeah I agree on soup but you do have some other options on healthy versions of normally bad food:
  • Healthy pizza- homemade base (nice and cheap) homemade low salt tomato sauce, some veg, some cheap sandwich meat and some veg hidden in the low fat cheese
  • Sweet potato chip - a lot lower in carbo hydrates and if you shallow fry it you reduce cholesterol
  • Burgers can be made healthier and cheaper by using wholegrain pitas rather than burger buns, and make a homemade vegetable rellish as burger sauce
  • Chicken again can be shallow fried and allowed to drain properly, you can even stuff a chicken breat with a healthy filling then tie it up
  • Asparagus rapped in trimmed bacon can be used to introduce greens

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

GabrielAisling posted:

My biggest expense is currently meat. My boyfriend's food groups consist of chicken nuggets and other meats, pizza, ketchup, fried potatoes and beer. He'll eat onions if I hide them in hamburger, but will use all sorts of tricks to get out of eating/trying vegetables. Mostly he'll cover his plate in meat and bread and then claim he's full when I point out he hasn't eaten his corn (which he claims to like and I can get in abundance because my grandfather has no sense of scale when planting corn). Essentially I need to hide vegetables in his meat to make the meat last longer and make him eat something that might keep him alive past 30 and keep my food budget below bank-breaking.

I sure hope he's got a laundry list of virtues and talents, because this is just astounding. He's past his teenaged years and he still won't eat vegetables? He's a grown-rear end man and you're not his mother, GabrielAisling. You are not obligated to go so far as to sneak vegetables into him and stress out about grocery costs just because he's not willing to understand or accept the merits of good nutrition. It's not fair to you, and isn't going to help him in the long run.

All ranting aside, have you tried to make beef stew with level 1 vegetables like carrots and mushrooms? You can turn a cheap cut of beef into 4 or 5 good meals with a slow cooker or Dutch oven. Plus, if you take it really far, the onions tend to dissolve into the sauce and are pretty undetectable.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

GabrielAisling posted:

First, I agree with Iron Chef Ricola - my housemate is a picky-rear end eater to the point where it's not enjoyable to have him at the table because he makes faces and picks out anything green from his food. It's silly to be an adult and not be able to eat anything that's not essentially kid food.

Secondly, have you considered making something like chili? It's manly and meaty and he can put cheese and stuff on it, and it's really easy to hide finely chopped veggies like onions, bell peppers, and even squash in. Also maybe it'll teach him to like beans.

You could find some of those "how do I get my fussy child to eat veggies and non-poo poo food?" parenting articles and use the tips they offer, like pureeing veggies into things they like. But in the end, he should just learn to eat like a grownup.

On beans, Cuban black beans are the best. My boyfriend is Cuban and we have them all the time. Also I've added leftover Cuban beans to chili before and it's awesome.

PS: I shared a stew recipe a few pages back that I made for my boyfriend. Took him a week and a half of eating it every day for dinner plus a lunch or two, and having it with me a couple nights. Tasted just as good a week+ later as when I made it. Boyfriend also reported that it was retardedly filling, and that if had it for lunch, he wasn't hungry for dinner till like 10pm. So yeah, stew in general is awesome.

Authentic You fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 16, 2012

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

I agree that cooking for yourself will show you just how bad (and overpriced) most restaurant food really is.

Not just restaurant food, but also premade anythings from the market. I can't buy instant biscuits anymore because of how off putting I find them now, and an instant pie crust I bought when I was tired made a chicken pot pie unpalatable.

I'm planning to premake crusts and biscuits and the like, and freeze them.

GabrielAisling posted:

My boyfriend's food groups consist of chicken nuggets and other meats, pizza, ketchup, fried potatoes and beer. He'll eat onions if I hide them in hamburger, but will use all sorts of tricks to get out of eating/trying vegetables. Mostly he'll cover his plate in meat and bread and then claim he's full when I point out he hasn't eaten his corn (which he claims to like and I can get in abundance because my grandfather has no sense of scale when planting corn). Essentially I need to hide vegetables in his meat to make the meat last longer and make him eat something that might keep him alive past 30 and keep my food budget below bank-breaking.

Your boyfriend is being a child. I am sorry. You could cook things vegetables in the sauces and portion it out to him. Curry, perhaps, if you cook the onions into the sauce. Mushroom sauces on meats are great too.

My boyfriend will only eat spinach if I put it in calzone or quiche. Usually, I make a calzone with spinach in the ricotta, mozarella, parm mixture and put sausage balls and artichoke hearts in. Quiche, it's bacon of course, with spinach and caramellized onion in the custard.

Meatloaf is great for putting in some onion, carrots, chives.

oh, try roasting things veggies in olive oil, salt, and pepper. It's amazing how people change their minds about veggies once it's cooked with olive oil and garlic.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
That sucks about the picky eater boyfriend.

I agree with the starter vegetables (except mushrooms, those tend to be polarizing)

You obviously care enough about his health and well being to invest the time and effort into cooking healthy food for him, and that makes you a good person. What you need is to be a bad or mean person, if only temporarily.

Since you mentioned that he is your boyfriend and not husband I'm going to assume that you don't live together, and that the meals you are presenting are at your place. That works in your favor. I'd say make a vegetarian dinner (or at least one low on meats and child-foods). Beans and rice, steamed veggies, sweet potato chips were suggested before I beleive. No nuggets, no pizza.

If he don't want to eat - fine. Save the leftovers and you just saved money by not having to cook one more meal. And don't offer to make him something else. You put time and effort into making a meal and sharing it with him. If he doesn't wish to partake, that's his loss.

We have a rule in my house, who ever cooks decides the menu. You don't have to like it, but you do have to try it. You don't like it, make your own dinner.

As I said, this is mean, but he'll only get worse if his behavior is not curbed. And I don't know how serious you are or how old either of you are, but do you want to go into a marriage with someone who is stuck at about age 5 when it comes to food?

If you want to be really mean, you can make a nice nutritous dinner for you and have a happy meal sitting on the side for him. Cold.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

CzarChasm posted:

That sucks about the picky eater boyfriend.

Since you mentioned that he is your boyfriend and not husband I'm going to assume that you don't live together.

If you want to be really mean, you can make a nice nutritous dinner for you and have a happy meal sitting on the side for him. Cold.

We're in our early twenties, and more or less live together. I'm on horrible roommate via student housing roulette number 5, and spend most of my time at his place. He will go hungry before he'll eat something he doesn't want to. He was spoiled as a kid, unfortunately. And he'd rather eat the cold happy meal than vegetables.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

GabrielAisling posted:

We're in our early twenties, and more or less live together. I'm on horrible roommate via student housing roulette number 5, and spend most of my time at his place. He will go hungry before he'll eat something he doesn't want to. He was spoiled as a kid, unfortunately. And he'd rather eat the cold happy meal than vegetables.
This is why I thank my parents for forcing me to try new things.

Fresh vegetables are one of life's joys.

ickbar
Mar 8, 2005
Cannonfodder #35578
Being Asian, I prefer eating asian food, if that's up your alley I can give you a couple of things I learned to cook and stuff that's affordable for me and taste good.

If you're really cheap you can buy like a box of quality ramen noodles at an asian store like Ranch 99 around 10$ to 20$ for a ton of noodle packages. none of that cheap imitation crap you'll get in ordinary supermarkets.

Of course by itself isn't good enough, but I usually add vegetables / egg / shrimp / fishballs(?). Anything you think that goes well with ramen usually will work. you can make this stuff pretty quickly and easily.

Last thing I learned and probably the most delicious to me and easy to make dish is *drum roll* japanese curry.

Just get a package at an asian store (golden curry) hot, mild or medium, what ever works. It's a good idea to follow directions on the packet, but since I worked in japan I learned a couple of tricks and some variations of my own that make it taste good.

where it says to use 1-1.5lbs of meat on the package is nonsense and will oversaturate the curry with too much meat.

So for my personal recipe I use between .5 - .75lbs of chicken thigh as you can freeze the rest and use it in your next batch of curry you can use other meats as well but I haven't experimented with it yet.

I caramelize 1 onion before cooking it with the meat, later I add what I feel is enough carrots and potatoes to balance out the meat, the proportion I'm guessing I use is 1 parts of meat to 2-3 parts vegetable total you can re-adjust if you feel necessary. Now because I'm lazy and like to make my dishes fast, I chop up baby carrots in half and small soft skinned potatoes to save time and effort.

The secret of the Japanese variation I learned in making this curry is when the directions package says to use 2.5 cups of water, use stuff instead. I first add about 1 cup of apple juice when you are stewing everything together, and once you add the curry tablets and start finishing up the curry and you need more liquid to get the right consistency I fold in about .5 cups of redwine so there's more of pungent flavor to the curry than having added it in earlier.

It doesn't have to be super expensive wine, just something that's cheap and should taste good to you.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

GabrielAisling posted:

There really is no excuse for him for not, at the very least, trying new foods. Unless his father beat him to an inch of his life regularly with bags of carrots and peas then he's a big babby who needs to man the gently caress up. My husband has never refused outright to try something I've made - which to be honest, has even made him sick more than once when I was first starting to learn.

Anyway. One thing I love to do to save time in the kitchen is I bought a tiny food processor ($10) and fill it with garlic cloves, spices, ginger, whatever and store it in the fridge. It makes using garlic and ginger a lot easier since you can buy a kilo of it for about 5$ here and peel it all yourself while a tiny jar of flavourless garlic mince is 2-3$. It also makes everything taste sooooooo muuuuuuch better. You can just use a neutral oil (I personally use peanut) to keep it from going bad within the week. If you're crazy and do buy a kilo of garlic you can always roast it in the oven so you have super cheap, soft and oily garlic to spread on toast.

Really, you can't go wrong with the 20-30 minutes of work once every 2 weeks for fresh garlic and ginger for pennies on the dollar.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

There really is no excuse for him for not, at the very least, trying new foods. Unless his father beat him to an inch of his life regularly with bags of carrots and peas then he's a big babby who needs to man the gently caress up. My husband has never refused outright to try something I've made - which to be honest, has even made him sick more than once when I was first starting to learn.

Anyway. One thing I love to do to save time in the kitchen is I bought a tiny food processor ($10) and fill it with garlic cloves, spices, ginger, whatever and store it in the fridge. It makes using garlic and ginger a lot easier since you can buy a kilo of it for about 5$ here and peel it all yourself while a tiny jar of flavourless garlic mince is 2-3$. It also makes everything taste sooooooo muuuuuuch better. You can just use a neutral oil (I personally use peanut) to keep it from going bad within the week. If you're crazy and do buy a kilo of garlic you can always roast it in the oven so you have super cheap, soft and oily garlic to spread on toast.

Really, you can't go wrong with the 20-30 minutes of work once every 2 weeks for fresh garlic and ginger for pennies on the dollar.

This is excellent advice. I'm one of those "dried/minced/powdered/sad jar" garlic users. I don't know any better, ok? :( Can you use a spice grinder or coffee grinder for this job as well? I have a Blendtec, but uhhh, I'm not sure I could use it unless I was planning on filling a five gallon bucket of the stuff.

Maybe something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Krups-203-42-Electric-Grinder-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00004SPEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331988498&sr=8-1

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Pretty sure you don't want to run garlic through a grinder. You'd end up with goo.

Vulvarine
Mar 23, 2008
I once dated a guy who refused to eat vegetables and primarily ate meat and dairy. I couldn't give him blowjobs because his semen was so rancid due to his lovely diet, and I mentioned this to him. His solution was to say "well, how about I promise to eat a serving of vegetables after each time you give me a blowjob?" We broke up.

On topic; I only recently picked up cooking and just started canning a couple days ago. At the local awesome grocer, they have a "priced to sell" shelf with mangled or past-first-freshness produce for super cheap. I always make a beeline for it when I arrive. This way I also end up trying new greens and other stuff. It's pretty awesome when you leave with bags and bags of groceries for under $30. Now that I do canning, too, I can stock up on tomatoes, which normally spoil fast.

I have a slow cooker and now buy "cheap" cuts of meat exclusively. Since I try to buy better-farmed meat, this ends up costing about as much as buying factory-farmed sirloins, but at least I'm not eating torture and misery. I also buy whole chickens and chop them into parts; usually I hack off the limbs and set them aside for roasting, and then debone the breasts right off for finer dining. The carcass and bits (sans liver) go in the freezer until I have two or three birds for stock. Chicken stock goes into everything; sauces, rice, ground beef dishes like cottage pie... it makes everything more delicious.

But I think the key to cheap-yet-healthy eating is to be opportunistic; buy good things when they're cheap, and design your recipes around what you have and what's going to spoil first. Don't think of what you want to make and then go shopping for the ingredients (at least, don't do this on a regular basis); it's a fast path to overspending. Have a full array of spices and herbs. Fresh herbs are unfortunately sold in very large bundles and I've never managed to use all of them before they get gross, but I find that standing them in water like flowers helps a bit, and I can dry out what I didn't use.

I also want to mention that a good cookbook is really invaluable for making the most of your ingredients. If you're a novice, I highly recommend Martha Stewart's Cooking School. It has basic recipes for stuff you never thought to make yourself, but it also explains the how and why of a lot of cooking techniques and ingredient choices which will quickly arm you with the knowledge to develop your own dishes to make use of what you have. My roommate is into healthy food and is kind of destitute, and he just tends to wing it with olios all the time, but they're always gross and he has to choke them down. Every time I see him do this, I think "he should have clarified those onions first", "he shouldn't have cooked the yams all the way through before putting them in the pot", "he should have used allspice instead of cinnamon". A little cooking know-how would turn his gross puddings into delicious things. Even just knowing how to cook rice just so makes such a huge difference...

Edit; one thing I've been meaning to do was to start grinding my own hamburger. Does anyone know what cuts of meat are best for doing this?

Vulvarine fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 17, 2012

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

Vulvarine posted:

Edit; one thing I've been meaning to do was to start grinding my own hamburger. Does anyone know what cuts of meat are best for doing this?

All of them. No, seriously. Get some lean tough stuff, some fatty stuff, cut off ends/scraps of the expensive parts, basically a little bit of everything. Makes the best hamburger, hands down.

If you're looking to make hamburgers, buy a bag of the scrap bacon ends and grind up the leaner parts seperately, then mix in with the beef like 80/20 and regrind. It sounds stereotypically goony but drat it is tasty, without making your burger all crumbly or shrink up too much.

e: and of course, partially freeze and then keep everything cold enough to make your hands numb and achy for best grind quality/results. Not working on a portion of the batch at the moment? Onto a metal sheet pan and into the freezer it goes while you work.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Kilersquirrel posted:

All of them. No, seriously. Get some lean tough stuff, some fatty stuff, cut off ends/scraps of the expensive parts, basically a little bit of everything. Makes the best hamburger, hands down.

If you're looking to make hamburgers, buy a bag of the scrap bacon ends and grind up the leaner parts seperately, then mix in with the beef like 80/20 and regrind. It sounds stereotypically goony but drat it is tasty, without making your burger all crumbly or shrink up too much.

e: and of course, partially freeze and then keep everything cold enough to make your hands numb and achy for best grind quality/results. Not working on a portion of the batch at the moment? Onto a metal sheet pan and into the freezer it goes while you work.

What this guy said. I used to work as a butcher's apprentice (wish I still was) and the base for our ground beef was chuck roasts (cheapest cut we had on hand) plus some fat added. Then throw in tips, ends, anything that wasn't pretty enough to sell on its own. Then grind everything twice and form into patties.

The bacon ends is a good call. We used to make bacon-cheddar-hamburger patties, but the cheese always just ran out and made a mess when I cooked them.

edit: the sheet pan is also correct. Just wanted to add that you should line it with parchment paper first, or you'll never get the frozen burgers off.

TheNothingNew fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 17, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yeah, as they said, scraps are fine. Don't be afraid of fat, fat is what makes burgers awesome.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

noblesse posted:

This is excellent advice. I'm one of those "dried/minced/powdered/sad jar" garlic users. I don't know any better, ok? :( Can you use a spice grinder or coffee grinder for this job as well? I have a Blendtec, but uhhh, I'm not sure I could use it unless I was planning on filling a five gallon bucket of the stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Krups-203-42-Electric-Grinder-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00004SPEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331988498&sr=8-1

Naw, something like this http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-HC306-One-Touch-Electric/dp/B000I0DV6W/ref=sr_1_23?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1332135522&sr=1-23 works just fine for doing ginger or garlic. The one I have is a 10$ store brand one like this and it's lasted me over 2-3 years now. It's not amazing, but if you need to food process up a tomato or two, green chilies or any sort of small portion of veggie it's pretty adequate. I don't grind up my own spices so I wouldn't know what kind of grinder to get for that, though I've heard a plain ol' coffee one works well.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
It just occurred to me that I have no idea what foods my boyfriend dislikes other than grits and stuff like that. He likes so many different things, and he doesn't turn down anything I cook unless he's full. Even the pot stickers I made for Cook or Die that were seriously burnt on one side were devoured.

All this vegetable talk is making me hungry. We've both been eating a lot of junk lately for various reasons, and I'm looking forward to cooking something healthy for dinner tomorrow. We were on vacation this weekend which involved a lot of drinking and running around theme parks, and a brief flight to and from our destination. We came home tired, sore, and hungover, and neither of us wanted to cook. Ended up going out to eat again, and were practically fighting over a dish of sauteed broccoli because we were so starved for actual nutrition.

I think I'm going to start buying produce when it's really cheap and experiment with freezing it. Just as soon as I do something with all the frozen berries inhabiting the freezer. My roommate bought them to make jam around Christmastime and never used any of them. :sigh: Maybe I should make smoothies tomorrow.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Mizufusion posted:

I think I'm going to start buying produce when it's really cheap and experiment with freezing it. Just as soon as I do something with all the frozen berries inhabiting the freezer. My roommate bought them to make jam around Christmastime and never used any of them. :sigh: Maybe I should make smoothies tomorrow.

Throw them in a pot with some sugar and you get some homemade syrup you can use as a topping on pretty much anything. I don't feel like making actual jam except one day of the year, remember I don't actually have any canning supplies and make that again instead. Goes really well on waffles, icecream, toast, desserts, whatever.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

noblesse posted:

Get a garlic press! This is the one I have and it's nearly indestructible. Peel garlic and pop cloves in whole and just smush them right into whatever. Faster and better than mincing, more flavor than pre-minced and just a smidge of :effort:.

Dishwasher safe too. That's a big one.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just do this to peel your garlic:

https://vimeo.com/29605182

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

vonnegutt posted:

Get a garlic press! This is the one I have and it's nearly indestructible. Peel garlic and pop cloves in whole and just smush them right into whatever. Faster and better than mincing, more flavor than pre-minced and just a smidge of :effort:.

Dishwasher safe too. That's a big one.

Heh, I've got that one as well. The Ikea one really is one of the best garlic presses I've ever used.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Just do this to peel your garlic:

https://vimeo.com/29605182

:aaa:

This makes the garlic confit I was planning on making this week far less intimidating.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Maybe it's just me, but I actually enjoy chopping/mincing garlic by hand? I find it's really good practice as I want to get better at it. That said, I'm still new to cooking and am still learning so I could see getting to the point where I don't need the practice and just want chopped garlic.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Doh004 posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I actually enjoy chopping/mincing garlic by hand? I find it's really good practice as I want to get better at it. That said, I'm still new to cooking and am still learning so I could see getting to the point where I don't need the practice and just want chopped garlic.

...I remember this. Yeah, it gets old after a while. Especially when I'm doing something where I want a lot of garlic, ie, everything. Mincing one or two is fine, mincing five gets old.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

vonnegutt posted:

...I remember this. Yeah, it gets old after a while. Especially when I'm doing something where I want a lot of garlic, ie, everything. Mincing one or two is fine, mincing five gets old.

Mincing it every single day after the novelty of learning how to cook gets pretty frustrating too, especially if you start heating the pan or cooking the other ingredients only to realize that you forgot to chop the garlic. Makes cooking a little less spontaneous as well.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Mincing it every single day after the novelty of learning how to cook gets pretty frustrating too, especially if you start heating the pan or cooking the other ingredients only to realize that you forgot to chop the garlic. Makes cooking a little less spontaneous as well.

If you've forgot to mince your garlic before cooking everything else, or heating the pan, then I believe you still have some stuff to learn there kimosabe.

Also,you can only get better at something by doing it over and over, so why is it such a horrible chore to mince garlic? It is a skill, and unless you've been a prep cook for the past ten years, and your only job is to mince the garlic for one of the biggest Italian places in New York, I am sure that you could still use practice.

I still enjoy to mince my garlic, I enjoy dicing my onions, I still enjoy everything about cooking. Mainly because every time I finish a meal, I know what I am eating tastes better than anything I could have gotten from the back of a box, out of a can, or from the depths of my freezer. If all that joy has been driven out of you for whatever reason, then go buy that blue box, the chunky can of soup, or the frozen package. Try to eat food that you have no influence on, follow the steps, do everything the directions say. I am sure you will find that more tedious than ever mincing a little garlic.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Colt Cannon posted:

If you've forgot to mince your garlic before cooking everything else, or heating the pan, then I believe you still have some stuff to learn there kimosabe.

Also,you can only get better at something by doing it over and over, so why is it such a horrible chore to mince garlic? It is a skill, and unless you've been a prep cook for the past ten years, and your only job is to mince the garlic for one of the biggest Italian places in New York, I am sure that you could still use practice.

I still enjoy to mince my garlic, I enjoy dicing my onions, I still enjoy everything about cooking. Mainly because every time I finish a meal, I know what I am eating tastes better than anything I could have gotten from the back of a box, out of a can, or from the depths of my freezer. If all that joy has been driven out of you for whatever reason, then go buy that blue box, the chunky can of soup, or the frozen package. Try to eat food that you have no influence on, follow the steps, do everything the directions say. I am sure you will find that more tedious than ever mincing a little garlic.

What the gently caress is this? Are you seriously telling someone which part of cooking they should find enjoyable always, otherwise go eat things out of a box?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I hate chopping garlic, I just do it because garlic rules.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Sometimes when I mince garlic by hand I wonder to myself if maybe I am using too much garlic. But then I realize I am being crazy because fresh chopped garlic is amazing and I am doing The Right Thing. Plus the Asian mart up the street sells them $1 for 3 bulbs so I am also doing The Cheap Thing.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Rurutia posted:

What the gently caress is this? Are you seriously telling someone which part of cooking they should find enjoyable always, otherwise go eat things out of a box?

Actually if you read what I wrote, I told people that if all the joy of cooking has been driven out of them to try it. I did not tell them what part they should find enjoyable. Thanks though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Chopping garlic is the easy part, peeling is what seems to take all the time.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

taqueso posted:

For me, it's the chopping it before every single meal sort of thing. It gets tedious if you're stressed out from work or busy with school and every single meal you have to finely chop a few cloves. I can definitely see why people buy the crappy jarred minces when they first start cooking, or don't cook often.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

taqueso posted:

There's a great technique for peeling garlic in a flash:

1. Cut off the very tip of the clove so the paper has been loosened
2. Lay your knife flat on top of the clove and with your palm give a firm swat to the blade (Not too hard, not crushing garlic here)
3. Garlic clove is largely intact, paper/peel has been loosened around whole clove, remove.

Takes about 20 seconds if you are slow.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Charmmi posted:

Sometimes when I mince garlic by hand I wonder to myself if maybe I am using too much garlic. But then I realize I am being crazy because fresh chopped garlic is amazing and I am doing The Right Thing. Plus the Asian mart up the street sells them $1 for 3 bulbs so I am also doing The Cheap Thing.

That's expensive garlic. Must be a regional thing.

But even if it's expensive put garlic in everything.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

CzarChasm posted:

There's a great technique for peeling garlic in a flash:

1. Cut off the very tip of the clove so the paper has been loosened
2. Lay your knife flat on top of the clove and with your palm give a firm swat to the blade (Not too hard, not crushing garlic here)
3. Garlic clove is largely intact, paper/peel has been loosened around whole clove, remove.

Takes about 20 seconds if you are slow.

I do it the even lazier way:

1. Place clove of garlic on counter
2. Whack with bottom of hand
3. Remove paper

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

razz posted:

I do it the even lazier way:

1. Place clove of garlic on counter
2. Whack with bottom of hand
3. Remove paper

you don't really need to whack, just place on the board with the flat side down round side up and press firmly with the base of the palm. You'll hear the skin make a pop sound which means it's ready to peel.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

you don't really need to whack, just place on the board with the flat side down round side up and press firmly with the base of the palm. You'll hear the skin make a pop sound which means it's ready to peel.

But it's fun making loud noises?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

But it's fun making loud noises?

:effort:

I also had a bad kitchen accident involving a knife, a garlic, and no longer having two tendons on my right pinky, so I avoid smashing as much as possible and when I do I use a board scraper.