Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh hey, The Thick Of It is on LoveFilm Instant. I can finally get around to watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh hey, The Thick Of It is on LoveFilm Instant. I can finally get around to watching it.

You can get the complete box set for only £13. That's just over £2 a disc.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Z-Magic posted:

You can get the complete box set for only £13. That's just over £2 a disc.

Argh don't preassure me dammit. I'm still saving up to get Saxondale on DVD too.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Taff posted:

One of the candiates is called Ricky Martin. Brilliant

Edit : Hes also a wrestler, hes officially my favourite

and he looks like Paul from Him & Her

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I just noticed that there is a second season of White Van Man up on iplayer. I remember the first series was surprisingly fun and fairly well received. Not heard anything about the new one in this thread though, is the second series still worth watching or what?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kuno posted:

I just noticed that there is a second season of White Van Man up on iplayer. I remember the first series was surprisingly fun and fairly well received. Not heard anything about the new one in this thread though, is the second series still worth watching or what?

It is pretty amusing, starts off slow for the first minutes in the opening of the 2nd episode then wham back on track.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

SeanBeansShako posted:

It is pretty amusing, starts off slow for the first minutes in the opening of the 2nd episode then wham back on track.

Did you just see "Britain's First Photo Album"? John Sargent fires a Brown Bess.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Z-Magic posted:

Most of their BBC 6 radio stuff is on http://adam-and-joe.livejournal.com/ so if you're experiencing withdrawal symptoms you can go back and start from the beginning (hope this doesn't count as :filez:)

Nice one and all, but gah, my eyes.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

SeanBeansShako posted:

Argh don't preassure me dammit. I'm still saving up to get Saxondale on DVD too.

This is on Netflix too.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Kuno posted:

is the second series still worth watching or what?

Yes, do it.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
David Starkey on 10'O Clock Live acting like a tit again.
I remember when he was that nice old guy in the documentaries you'd watch in history lessons...

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

David Starkey on 10'O Clock Live acting like a tit again.
I remember when he was that nice old guy in the documentaries you'd watch in history lessons...

"Give Starkey enough rope... and he'll try to lynch a black person with it."

My favourite Starkey thing is this article from the Daily Mail.

Z-Magic fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 15, 2012

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Z-Magic posted:

"Give Starkey enough rope... and he'll try to lynch a black person with it."

My favourite Starkey thing is this article from the Daily Mail.

What the absolute gently caress, I am well immunised against the Daily Mail by now having had it as the household paper all my childhood but this is perhaps the most offensive article I've ever read from it. The anti-intellectualism contained in that link is loving staggering.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tony Robinson clearly must make sure he doesn't claim the prize and take his head first.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
So has the thread collectively stopped watching 10 O'clock live or is there a seperate thread? I know it's pretty weak but it's something to watch on wednesday at least, and I usually enjoy one or two of the segments. Brooker's bit on Kony was pretty good and I learned some stuff from it. The bit with the weird culty adverts for invisible children was new to me, and pretty funny.

Edit: the interview with Starkey and the lady comedian was a bit of a trainwreck, but it prompted a discussion in the meme hovel at least.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The Jimmy Carr sketch about the Olympics budget should have ended after the first line. It took me by surprise, I laughed, but then he spent several minutes explaining the joke. They seem to think everything needs to be a "segment" when he and Lauren obviously do much better with one-liners (eg. "horses are loving massive").

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I thought last nights episode was great. Charlies Kony2012 bit especially.
It still needs less Carr, but during their roundtable bits which I think are getting better as they get more relaxed with saying whatever they think of, he provides a good counterpoint.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I tend to watch the show on 4oD the next day and find that the ability to skip the 'Jimmy Carr in a costume' segment improves the show massively.

But yes, yesterday's was weirdly good.

Derv1sh
May 24, 2005

Oh, come on, don’t leave your Uncle Teabag hanging
I think Brooker is becoming better at what he does. His delivery can grate though, which was never the case with screen/newswipe. Mitchell carries the show at times.

Overall, I thought the Kony bit was strong, the discussions are getting better and I do quite enjoy it. 89% of the Jimmy Carr character comedy is absolute gash though. The other 20% is hit and miss.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Derv1sh posted:

89% of the Jimmy Carr character comedy is absolute gash though. The other 20% is hit and miss.

Erm...

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

meme posted:

So has the thread collectively stopped watching 10 O'clock live or is there a seperate thread? I know it's pretty weak but it's something to watch on wednesday at least, and I usually enjoy one or two of the segments. Brooker's bit on Kony was pretty good and I learned some stuff from it. The bit with the weird culty adverts for invisible children was new to me, and pretty funny.

Edit: the interview with Starkey and the lady comedian was a bit of a trainwreck, but it prompted a discussion in the meme hovel at least.

There's something weird about 10'clock live. By every conventional measurement the show is terrible but I still watch it every week and enjoy it despite myself. It has some painfully cringeworthy moments, especially where Jimmy Carr is involved, but on the whole there isn't really much else quite like it in terms of delivering an occasionally humourous perspective on some pretty serious current events. Everything about it tells me I ought to hate it but I kind of like it.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Not taken seriously it's rather amusing and a good watch but they really drop the ball on the "live" part which normally means there is some serious news content in there somewhere.

Think more American Saturday Night Live than Newsnight or the like. I treat it as a mini big fat quiz of the year and watch it for entertainment value and the inevitable live TV cockup than an insightful dialogue between a Ritalin deprived audience and three comedians.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

This just popped up in the 5th episode season 1 of The Thick Of It:

quote:

Minister Abbot: What do you have to do to get on TV these days?
Glen: I dunno have sex with a pig?

Hilariously, this was made way before Charlies bleakly controversial submissions back in December.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Anyone try White Heat? http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01d7m14/White_Heat_The_Past_Is_a_Foreign_Country/

Looks like something i'll hate but im open to suggestions.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I love 6 Music but this whole birthday thing has been so horribly self congratulatory.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Seriously. Stop being terrible during the daytime and we'll talk, 6music.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Hey now that's fightin' talk don't say bad things about Radcliffe & Maconie.

Also I am currently working on an interview show that has Piers Morgan on it and this thread title is thoroughly disappointing whenever I click on it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What's the great man like in person?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Mr. Squishy posted:

What's the great man like in person?

Surprisingly pleasant (I say surprisingly because I was expecting him to be a total poo poo, I was surprised).

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The vibe I get from his HIGNFY appearance is that he's probably a perfectly charming and nice person as long as everything is going his way, but he can't handle being challenged or things not going exactly his way.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
he's still a oval office for the things he's done that were entirely of his own accord. I imagine he is pretty affable but then so was Hitler (hello Godwin)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

The vibe I get from his HIGNFY appearance is that he's probably a perfectly charming and nice person as long as everything is going his way, but he can't handle being challenged or things not going exactly his way.

Basically, a smug spoilt man child.

So what member of the former Labour government is the inspiration for Malcolm Tucker? I was thinking Mandelson but I suspect there might be more than one influence in the angriest fictional man in British politics?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Basically, a smug spoilt man child.

So what member of the former Labour government is the inspiration for Malcolm Tucker? I was thinking Mandelson but I suspect there might be more than one influence in the angriest fictional man in British politics?

It's Alistair Campbell AFAIK.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I saw this on wikipedia a while ago, and according to it:

quote:

The character is not based on Alastair Campbell as many have suggested, but on Hollywood agents and producers, notably Harvey Weinstein

the citation is a radio 4 interview which I've not heard though

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Metrication posted:

It's Alistair Campbell AFAIK.

Of course! The most obvious answer too.

It is brilliant stuff which I'm buying all on DVD as soon as I can afford it to share.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Hey now that's fightin' talk don't say bad things about Radcliffe & Maconie.

I quite like Radcliffe and Maconie (I interviewed Maconie once, since we're dropping names, and he was a lovely chap). I still think their show is a bit dull though. But it's more about the playlist, which just seems to be a combo of the less popular ends of the Radio 1&2 daytime playlists jammed together. Then there's Steve Lamacq with his loving britpop.

I swear I've heard Echobelly played a dozen times on 6music and never once heard the Velvet Underground.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Don't you dare cuss Britpop. :/

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of, you'd have thought that Cameron and co. would have really leant on the old Cool Britannia thing for the Olympics this year; get Good Morning Britain pumping out for the opening ceremony as the Red Arrows do a fly-past, dig up what's left of Geri Halliwell for the papers, ANYTHING to stop people being so loving English about the whole thing.

Also, replace Chris Moyles with Zane Lowe immediately. That week where the latter took over was the most listenable I've ever heard daytime Radio 1 in a long, long while.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

spincube posted:

Speaking of, you'd have thought that Cameron and co. would have really leant on the old Cool Britannia thing for the Olympics this year; [...] ANYTHING to stop people being so loving English about the whole thing.
why ever would you think that? what has cameron ever said or done to make you think he gives a flying gently caress about england outside the south-east, never mind the rest of the uk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009

spincube posted:

Speaking of, you'd have thought that Cameron and co. would have really leant on the old Cool Britannia thing for the Olympics this year; get Good Morning Britain pumping out for the opening ceremony as the Red Arrows do a fly-past, dig up what's left of Geri Halliwell for the papers, ANYTHING to stop people being so loving English about the whole thing.

Well they are doing this: http://www.spin.com/articles/blur-headlining-olympics-best-british-show

Cameron's continuing his aping of Tony Blair by pretending that there's been no good British music post-1997!

e: This is a pretty good article on it: http://thequietus.com/articles/08044-blur-olympics-legacy-90s