Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

GidgetNomates posted:

When I first got the lighthouse I sorted my pieces out then went "what the HECK did they give me skeleton legs for???" Clever use of them in the end though, but I was incredibly confused for a while. I thought there was some sort of tragic storyline that involved a bunch of severed legs.

Just don't go into the lighthouse basement. *chitter chatter, chitter chatter*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Joramun posted:

When a lighthouse guardian gets too old for the job, they chop off his legs and toss his torso in the water to sink to the bottom of the sea. The bones are kept as souvenirs.

His name is Bob.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
This is one hell of a thread!

Bought my two year-old a 400 piece basic set on the grounds that I'd play with them with her. Obviously that didn't work (more throwing the pieces around than sticking them in her mouth), but she has a nice set of Duplo now. (And I have a 400 piece lego set >_> Yeah, it's girl colors, but I hadn't played with bricks in forever.)

Was inspired by the 8x8 base vignettes posted way earlier in the thread, and I'm playing around with the LDD now. Only issue i'm having: no regular lego guy heads. I considered using the 1x1 round brick, but long-forgotten LEGO-lore tells me those pieces are actually not as big around as the actual heads.

Any advice?

Edit: Huh. Extended doesn't have the heads. Weird.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 17, 2012

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Was inspired by the 8x8 base vignettes posted way earlier in the thread, and I'm playing around with the LDD now. Only issue i'm having: no regular lego guy heads. I considered using the 1x1 round brick, but long-forgotten LEGO-lore tells me those pieces are actually not as big around as the actual heads.

Any advice?

I never bother with Extended, I just mess around with vanilla. If there's a piece I need that isn't in the right color, I might consider using Extended, but usually I just make do with whatever vanilla has.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

RickVoid posted:

Extended has the heads, at least in my copy. Looks like they're in the minifigure tab near a stormtrooper rifle and what appears to be a frying pan.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I saw this on The Brothers Brick today

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2012/03/16/10225-ucs-r2d2-new-lego-star-wars-exclusive-news/

UCS R2D2 $179.99 in the US coming out in May.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Saint Sputnik posted:

Just don't go into the lighthouse basement. *chitter chatter, chitter chatter*

Oh god :gonk:

My lighthouse has the little guy standing up behind the railings on the light, mug of coffee in hand, watching the seas. :3:

And in doing so, he is oblivious to the lizardman climbing in through the open window downstairs. :ohdear:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

rockinricky posted:

I saw this on The Brothers Brick today

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2012/03/16/10225-ucs-r2d2-new-lego-star-wars-exclusive-news/

UCS R2D2 $179.99 in the US coming out in May.

I wonder how heavy it is. I mean it doesn't look THAT big, but it's over 2000 pieces...

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Other than Brickarms and Brickforge, is there any other website that makes custom LEGO weapons?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I wonder how heavy it is. I mean it doesn't look THAT big, but it's over 2000 pieces...

You can see the studs on the dome to give you an idea of scale. There was also that leaked promo video that was posted a few days ago. It's actually quite small. It honestly seems like a high brick count until you realize the top swings open and R2's interior is a PAB cup full of 1x1 bley bricks.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Arsenal_12 posted:

Other than Brickarms and Brickforge, is there any other website that makes custom LEGO weapons?

Brickarms and BrickForge you already know about. There are more specialized Star Wars weapons at The Little Arms Shop, which has some neat looking stuff that I think kinda hits the balance between 'what the weapon really looks like' and 'what a Lego version would look like'. Another take on modern-type stuff is BrickWarriors, which I know is kinda a popular site, but I've never bought from it personally. Your out-of-left-field option is finding a site on Shapeways, like Woody's Minifig Customs. I haven't ordered from them either, but it's an interesting idea to have somebody 3D model something with a 'create on demand' website. From what I've heard, the quality isn't perfect yet, though, so buyer beware?

Also, not weapon related, but I did stumble on Arealight, which has some cool stuff, and ChromeBricks, which is neat if not ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm hoping this doesn't come off as shilling. I had asked something similar to this about a month ago and didn't get much info, so I did some searching and found the above websites. There's some really cool aftermarket sorta stuff out there, because Lego fans are super rad. Of course, those same Lego fans then get into the argument about being a 'purist' and not buying third-party neat stuff, but that's really a personal choice I suppose. Me, I'd rather have some sweet looking guns for my tiny adorable army.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There's a site I can't remember the address to that sells custom 3-D printed Zelda weaponry and stuff from other JRPGs like Final Fantasy, etc. I've never actually seen their product since all they have on their site are computer renders of each item. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

e: As far as the 'purist' argument, I don't really care with regard to minifig accessories. I'm a purist when it comes to stuff like Mega Blocks because most of the time the aesthetics clash really badly, or the bricks don't hold together. Most of the aftermarket stuff is really good about holding to the fairly clean, streamlined aesthetic that official Lego has.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 17, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Travis343 posted:

There's a site I can't remember the address to that sells custom 3-D printed Zelda weaponry and stuff from other JRPGs like Final Fantasy, etc. I've never actually seen their product since all they have on their site are computer renders of each item. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Is it MINGLES?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I've been enjoying browsing Proudlove's Flickr account quite a bit.

He's been doing a lot of great cars too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Is it MINGLES?

Yeah that's the dude. It looks like he's finally got some actual photographs of his stuff in there now.

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.

Saint Sputnik posted:

I've been enjoying browsing Proudlove's Flickr account quite a bit.

He's been doing a lot of great cars too.

Something slightly off about that elephant...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

JD-Smith posted:

I want to see it get made into a Psychic Tandem War Elephant.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

JD-Smith posted:

Its mom was a dachshund.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

JD-Smith posted:

It's a stretch limophant.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Wish I had one of those elephants, I had no idea they came apart in the middle.

Anyone remember that Photoshop thread from like a year ago with characters made out of striped lines, and they were instantly recognizable because of the colors?
http://www.fubiz.net/2012/03/16/lego-imagine/

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Saint Sputnik posted:

Wish I had one of those elephants, I had no idea they came apart in the middle.

Anyone remember that Photoshop thread from like a year ago with characters made out of striped lines, and they were instantly recognizable because of the colors?
http://www.fubiz.net/2012/03/16/lego-imagine/

I know all the rest, but I have no idea what this one is: http://www.fubiz.net/2012/03/16/lego-imagine/lego-imagine5/

HardHead
Nov 4, 2009

Bouncer, Hey bouncer.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I know all the rest, but I have no idea what this one is: http://www.fubiz.net/2012/03/16/lego-imagine/lego-imagine5/

Lucky Luke and the Daltons.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
Lucky Luke and the Daltons

Edit: Ach..

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

HardHead posted:

Lucky Luke and the Daltons.

Never heard of them, I guess that explains why I didn't recognize it. Thanks!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is the Fire Brigade going to be discontinued soon? It's not in the Lego store anymore, and the amazon price keeps going up.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is the Fire Brigade going to be discontinued soon? It's not in the Lego store anymore, and the amazon price keeps going up.

Huh?

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Fire-Brigade-10197

Still in the Lego store.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
It will likely be gone soon as it wasn't in this last catalog they mailed out.

Goodall10
Jul 6, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Yes. When I was in the Lego store a couple weeks ago to get the Town Hall, the guy behind the counter asked if I had the Fire Brigade yet, because it was getting discontinued. Also, it's currently showing as 'Out of Stock' on the Lego website.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cool, some sort of Lego Star Wars cartoon on Teletoon in Canada right now. When did they make this? I didn't think Lego made any sort of long-form animated stuff.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Cool, some sort of Lego Star Wars cartoon on Teletoon in Canada right now. When did they make this? I didn't think Lego made any sort of long-form animated stuff.
There's also a Ninjago animated series and a Clutch Powers movie.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Clutch Powers?! Oh god, that name is perfect and so wrong at the same time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Goodall10 posted:

Yes. When I was in the Lego store a couple weeks ago to get the Town Hall, the guy behind the counter asked if I had the Fire Brigade yet, because it was getting discontinued. Also, it's currently showing as 'Out of Stock' on the Lego website.

This was why I got the Fire Brigade last year, rather than the Pet Shop I wanted slightly more. I should probably pick up the Grand Emporium too, before that vanishes.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Just received Falling Water and the 2011 Star Wars Advent calender!
Not sure if I want to open up the calender or sit on it. That Falling Water looks crazy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

How's the Batmobile in the Two Face Chase set? It's 30% off of TRU's already overinflated price, so its like $40, but the Batmobile is the only real reason I'd want the set.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Travis343 posted:

How's the Batmobile in the Two Face Chase set? It's 30% off of TRU's already overinflated price, so its like $40, but the Batmobile is the only real reason I'd want the set.
Awesome. I think it's the best of the three.

Edit, I bought it for the same reason. I didn't put the jeep together for a week and still haven't built the bank. The keep is in a box now, but that Batmobile will stay out.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 18, 2012

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I have been trying very unsuccessfully the last 3-4 weeks to design/build a working lamp out of Lego for my nursery. I have tried about 6 different ideas that just didn't pan out or had trouble supporting the weight/design of the lamp. Now I am asking all of my fellow Lego fanatics to help out getting his baby girl addict to Lego before she even realizes it. Wanted to see if anybody could help with a design or anybody has any working experience putting something like this together, any type of help would be great. I figure a few 100 minds over one might come up with something amazing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

GIS 'lego lamp' will give you a ton of suggestions. Personally, I like these:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

The_Doctor posted:

Now I need enough trans red, clear, and trans blue to make a police light for my bedroom. That is just wonderful.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

The_Doctor posted:

Lead me to this.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lgorlando/4795243223/

I really can't get into the modulars. but even the moc ones look great.

If you follow that flicker to the dude's hospital it is jawdropping.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I was messing around with a idea that went something along those lines with LEDs but I do not have that many clears and I imagine the price of that would be a bit high to buy them all. I was thinking a more traditional lamp such as a base with the bulb and lamp shade but all my designs have not worked out as well as they did in my head.