Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

PaleBlueDot posted:

Looks interesting, but it sorta looks, from the trailer, like they've transplanted ye' olde cabin in the woods story to Pripyat and that's it. Maybe I'm a bit overly critical, though. The geiger counter could be a very interesting element in a horror film, assuming whatever's after them is at least slightly radioactive, that is.

I can't think of a better setting for that genre of film though. Pripyat has a totally creepy/fascinating story in place already, I'm sure anyone who's played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is going to be all over this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
Oh yeah, no doubt. If you're gonna have stalky-slashy-survivor-girly fun, Pripyat gotta be the place, that or one of those Japanese Ghost Towns.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Speaking of Japanese ghost towns, does anybody here know of a movie set in one? I would be rather surprised if there weren't any, considering how many of them the country has.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I rewatched The Ring last night. Still good. I had a question though: So, they made a big deal about all the teens dying at the same time, a week after they watched the tape. Then it was made super obvious that Noah watched the tape at 8:10, but when Samara came outta the tv and killed him, it was mid-day. That annoyed me more than it should have.

western eyes
Nov 5, 2011
Are there any horror movies that break the fourth wall, but in a psychological rather than campy way?

I don't think I can really describe it in a good way, but imagine a movie starting to break down, maybe in a way that it seems like it's glitching, as if the horror is "leaking" out of the movie itself and into real life.

Take this moment from [REC] 2 for example: http://i.imgur.com/rEXWq.gif

It's almost what I'm talking about, but since it's found footage, the glitching can be attributed to the tape screwing up, rather than a deliberate attempt to break the fourth wall.

Suppose the tape were to do that in non-found-footage film, perhaps when the bad guy is onscreen, or something evil is happening, etc, basically as if the DVD itself is possessed.

It seems like it could be a good device if anyone was clever enough to do it right, but I'm not too versed in horror movies outside of the standard recommended fare.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Funny Games did that to a degree, with the rewinding and all, but I'm not sure if that's what you were referencing as "campy."

western eyes
Nov 5, 2011
Well, I've never seen it but I watched some clips after googling around a bit, and it does seem like it would come across as campy in the movie. Granted, I don't really have context since I haven't seen it.

I think talking to the audience has the potential to be unsettling, but it didn't really work in the clips I watched, and the rewinding thing just seems over-the-top. It does make you go "woah", but more in a "woah this is ridiculous" rather than "woah this is terrifying and I might be seeing things" kind of way.

e: I just remembered that Korean visual short story that's always circulating the net: http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=350217

I suppose it can't really translate to cinema, but the effect used seems similar to what I'm getting at because the story basically "takes control" of your computer. Even if you're nervous and want to scroll slowly, you have no choice. The horror being presented somehow directly affects or seems to affect you, the viewer.

western eyes fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 17, 2012

faustcf
Jun 1, 2004

My beard! I broke my playoff beard!!
Not a movie but the GameCube game Eternal Darkness does something like that. Your character has a sanity meter and as you see more ghosts/demons you start to lose it. When it gets pretty low it looks like there is a fly on your tv screen.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Not really horror, but the game Arkham Asylum does some of the best 4th-wall breaking I've seen in a game. Even though it's an older game, I'll use the spoiler tags just in case: As you are walking down a hall, the game appears to crash on you. It ends up being part of the Scarecrow storyline

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Where are you guys watching The Awakening? It's not on Netflix :(

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Whispering Machines posted:

Where are you guys watching The Awakening? It's not on Netflix :(

It's out on DVD here in the UK and Ireland.

Anyone see The Last Horror Movie? That one breaks the 4th wall quite a bit.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
The closest I can think of in fourth-wall leaking horror movies is in Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, which at one point goes from Found Footage to more traditional slasher movie cinematography, highlighting the shift into the final act. It might not be quite what you're looking for, but it kind of plays on the shift in point of view and uses it to create tension, and it's a pretty fun watch nonetheless.

Also, if you're willing to go to other media, House Of Leaves is pretty much "Fourth Wall Horror: The Book"

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I loved "Behind the Mask" it wasn't particularly scary but was very funny and had a few good creepy moments. Plus I LOVED all the references to other horror series in the film and the acting of Robert Englund. Bought that movie for 5bux at Christmas time.

A little more background on "Behind the Mask" (I'll spoiler for those who just want to watch without knowing anything, I won't actually spoil the movie): Takes place in a reality where famous movie slashers like Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees are real people. Leslie Vernon is an up-and-coming serial killer who allows a film crew to document his process: choosing his victims, his physical routine, all the fun background stuff. Switches between found footage and regular cinematic throughout the film rather effectively in my opinion. I thought it was a great movie and definitely recommend it.

Also, Copywright I adored that moment of Arkham Asylum because I know a handful of people who were positive their system was broken, including me.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Horror does seem to break the fourth wall better when you're a participant as opposed to just an observer, so, surprisingly to even myself, I'll second the video game recs as well done examples. This is also why the end of the first Paranormal Activity works so well (either theater or DVD cut).

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

western eyes posted:

:words:

It doesn't really fit the bill, but you should definitely sit down and watch one of the two Funny Games. Within the context of the movie the instances of the fourth wall being broken have a pretty heavy impact on the viewer. I don't know how many people agree with me, but I'd say you'd be missing out if you were to skip it.

Edit:

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I liked Behind the Mask, but I think it really is just a less good version of Man Bites Dog.

This. You should definitely check out MBD.

\/ Well, I didn't want to give it away.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 18, 2012

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Funny Games is outstanding, but I would skip the US remake because Arno Frisch is just the creepiest dude who ever lived, and Susanne Lothar is a million times the actress Naomi Watts could ever dream of being.

It does break the forth wall, the context is to make the viewer complicit in the violence (while at the same time denying you the gratification of actually seeing any), it's very effective. Watch it.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I liked Behind the Mask, but I think it really is just a less good version of Man Bites Dog.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

keep punching joe posted:

Funny Games is outstanding, but I would skip the US remake because Arno Frisch is just the creepiest dude who ever lived, and Susanne Lothar is a million times the actress Naomi Watts could ever dream of being.

It does break the forth wall, the context is to make the viewer complicit in the violence (while at the same time denying you the gratification of actually seeing any), it's very effective. Watch it.

Definitely one of cinema's most unsettling moments for me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Whispering Machines posted:

Chernobyl Diaries

It's directed by the guy who did Let Me In (which I thought was very good) and the screenplay is by the guy who did Paranormal Activity (saw first two, was bored for 95% of it).

Pripyat is probably one of the saddest/creepiest looking places on earth. It would be interesting to have a Chernobyl movie with Keith Thompson's art used as the model for the ghosts/creatures.

There's something a bit Silent Hill about it, with the sirens and the seemingly innocent figures and weird noises and seeing things out of the corner of your eye.

The cast/characters look atrocious, but I'll loving watch anything involving Pripyat.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Exactly. I doubt I'll care if any of them are eaten (except maybe for I HAVE GEIGER COUNTER! :haw: guy) but the location is incredible.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
The Russian guide is the only dude in that trailer that I like enough to want to see him survive. He'll probably be one of the first to go :(

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Who would have thought that the best part of the 90's killer-robot movie 'Hardware' would be Porkin's from Star Wars as a creepy singer/peeping tom?

He's awesome.

Disappointing film in regards to story/a coherent plot (seriously some of the worst editing I've ever seen) - but as far as dark, low-budget sci-fi/horror it's good. Rips off Alien/Terminator/Predator a lot but hey, it has a cool soundtrack! And Porkins!

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

BisonDollah posted:

Disappointing film in regards to story/a coherent plot (seriously some of the worst editing I've ever seen) - but as far as dark, low-budget sci-fi/horror it's good. Rips off Alien/Terminator/Predator a lot but hey, it has a cool soundtrack! And Porkins!

From what I've read, Hardware is basically an adaptation of a comic book story that came out several years before The Terminator and Predator (but a couple of years after Alien). The original comic actually has the story elements that would seem like a rip-off of those two movies in it: http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=thrillviewer&choice=shok

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The amount of stuff ripped off Heavy Metal magazine and 2000 AD is astounding.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

servoret posted:

From what I've read, Hardware is basically an adaptation of a comic book story that came out several years before The Terminator and Predator (but a couple of years after Alien). The original comic actually has the story elements that would seem like a rip-off of those two movies in it: http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=thrillviewer&choice=shok

Yeah, I read that on Wikipedia - the original writers of the comic had to sue & finally ended up with writing credits on the movie. What I was referring to was visual moments in the film, though - for example there's a bit where "The Terminator's" hand reaches out trying to grab the heroine, "The Alien" succeeds in a surprise attack from the shadows (in a movie of nothing but darkness & shadows - only not filmed by Ridley Scott) & of course "The Predator" hunts with infra-red vision throughout. It's a shame it leans so heavily on them because there's some really cool original stuff in the flick, the director hasn't done much else since being fired from The Island of Dr. Moreu so I guess we'll never know if that was a fluke or not.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 19, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BisonDollah posted:

Who would have thought that the best part of the 90's killer-robot movie 'Hardware' would be Porkin's from Star Wars as a creepy singer/peeping tom?

He's awesome.

It wasn't a good movie, but it was memorable. If that makes sense.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The amount of stuff ripped off Heavy Metal magazine and 2000 AD is astounding.

Apparently the creators of Judge Dredd blamed the release of RoboCop for destroying any chance of a Dredd movie getting made that kept the satirical elements of the strip in the script, because it would have made Dredd look like a rip-off of the thing that was ripping it off!

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

MMD3 posted:

I can't think of a better setting for that genre of film though. Pripyat has a totally creepy/fascinating story in place already, I'm sure anyone who's played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is going to be all over this movie.

It's not ye olde cabin in the woods.

Think about it. Radiation. Abandoned setting. Humanoid figures stalking people.

It's a russian Hills Have Eyes.

There is a chance it will be awesome, but I have a feeling it's going to be a waste of possibly one of the creepiest settings you could set a horror movie in. I would respect the gently caress out of a movie if it went in an unconventional direction. Malevolent entities trapped by the radiation, a Hellraiser-esque portal to the nether world opened by the radiation, tie in the Cthulu mythos to the radiation. Hell go balls to the wall, just do Event Horizon 2: Russian Buggallo. Instead of a black hole tearing the fabric of space and time, the nuclear meltdown weakened it and then poo poo came through.

To the person who said that a Geiger counter could be terrifying if used properly, yes! This is the style of horror they should go with. Not jump scares or radiated humans getting your adrenaline pumping every couple of minutes. Genuine loving fear. Give the characters onscreen a goddamn brain, have them realize the irony of the Geiger counter. It makes noise. On the one hand, this will alert you if something is close by. On the other hand, it will also let something close by know exactly where you are. You wouldn't even have to see anything on screen to be scared!

This movie makes me angry already because anyone with a semi decent budget and a willingness to do something that isn't even new could make a genuinely scary loving movie. Instead we're probably going to get the Hills Have Eyes, only worse somehow.

God I hope I'm wrong.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Hardware is a direct adaptation of a 2000AD story as far as I know, 2000AD writers are credited on the IMDB page anyway.

They run these awesome little mini stories called Tharg's Future Shocks, which are a cross between the Outer Limits and Tales From The Crypt. The movie pretty much nailed the grungy, anarchic feel of the series.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Watched a few horror movies on Netflix the past couple of days.

Mimic was completely different from how I remembered it, but it was still kind of... boring. I'd also completely forgotten that it was a Guillermo del Toro movie. I'm tempted to check out the director's cut.
Also I was surprised the ending didn't have a zinger at the end implying that the Judas Breed bugs had survived. I was expecting that to happen and it didn't.

Paranormal Activity 1 and 2... I liked parts of them. I liked the use of tension, although I felt #2 dragged on a lot. I mean when it was actually creepy it was REALLY creepy, but there were parts that just bored me.
Having said that, at least #2 didn't have a total retard rear end in a top hat character like Micah in #1, although Katie was partly culpable for putting up with his poo poo so much and not just cutting him loose. The Ouija board scene in the first one was hands down the creepiest part for me.

I also checked out Trick r Treat, and while I appreciated the Tales from the Crypt/Twilight Zone/Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark sort of mini-story motif it was going for, I felt the tone kind of hurt it sometimes. I dunno, sometimes it seemed to try and take itself too seriously and then other times it would get all hokey and then have a silly twist. I liked it more when it was being silly and not too serious because it was more in line with the Scary Stories stuff I used to read as a kid. Like, having Sam stalk Brian Cox around his house and brutally injure him felt really awkward when the "payoff" was that he just wanted a candy bar or something, just like the woman getting brutally murdered at the start of the movie for blowing out a jack-o-lantern felt really awkward, too. Maybe it's that sort of stuff that works better on the page in a short story, but filming it as a movie just didn't work for me at all.

Not sure if I want to watch Insidious or Grave Encounters tonight.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
People talk down at Paranormal Activity 1 all the time, but it scared the everliving piss out of me when I saw it. I couldn't sleep without lights on for a stupidly long time. Though I have a problem with demons in general, so that's certainly part of it.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Started to get burnt out on Skyrim this week and borrowed a bunch of DVDs from a friend's crazy deep DVD collection. Just finished The Devil's Chair.

Most of it is alright. A college professor and three of his hand-picked students accompany a recently released mental patient, under the auspices of gathering research for a book, to an abandoned insane asylum, the site where the former inmate supposedly murdered his girlfriend 4 years earlier. There they find a sinister electric chair-like device that apparently sends anyone who sits in it to Not-Hell (which also happens to look a lot like an old abandoned insane asylum, that's like three for the price of one!). It's a silly but intriguing premise that has some decent build up. I really liked the creature design despite some iffy tacked-on CG effects, and the acting ranges from serviceable to insanely and hilariously over the top community Shakespeare theater bellowing.

That's how it goes for about 90% of the movie... And then things take a sudden jarring shift. It goes from standard horror fare to a halfhearted attempt at self-aware parody (there are hints of it earlier but the floodgates really open up here) with some weak fourth-wall breaking before suddenly shifting again just minutes later to poorly made torture porn and maybe the most tired horror/psychological thriller trope ever. Bummer.

Ultimately, it has its moments but is dragged down hard by the last 15 minutes. If you can get it on the cheap or it's streaming somewhere, I suppose there are worse things you could do with 90 minutes.

Subject Two is up next. My friend had some decent things to say about it and it's got a better than average score on IMDB (not that the latter is saying much), but we'll see how that pans out.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Xenomrph posted:

Like, having Sam stalk Brian Cox around his house and brutally injure him felt really awkward when the "payoff" was that he just wanted a candy bar or something, just like the woman getting brutally murdered at the start of the movie for blowing out a jack-o-lantern felt really awkward, too. Maybe it's that sort of stuff that works better on the page in a short story, but filming it as a movie just didn't work for me at all.

Sam is like the santa claus of halloween, and he enforces rules for halloween. Brian Cox and the girl in the beginning both broke rules and Sam was punishing them. They explain the rules somewhere in the movie.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Horns posted:

Subject Two is up next. My friend had some decent things to say about it and it's got a better than average score on IMDB (not that the latter is saying much), but we'll see how that pans out.

I really liked this one. Though it might be because I had no foreknowledge of it going in.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Sam is like the santa claus of halloween, and he enforces rules for halloween. Brian Cox and the girl in the beginning both broke rules and Sam was punishing them. They explain the rules somewhere in the movie.
Well yeah I got that, it was just that it seemed... excessive in the movie.

Again it just felt like something that would have worked better on the page in a Goosebumps/Scary Stories book rather than actual graphic violence in a horror movie.

Like it felt like I was watching a big-budget version of Tales from the Crypt/Twilight Zone/Are You Afraid of the Dark and my inner-child liked that a lot, and then it would switch to hardcore violence and take me right out of it.

Sam without the mask looking really goddamn goofy (all the while he's violently assaulting Brian Cox) didn't help, either.

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
It wasn't excessive at all. It was on the same level of Tales From the Crypt.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Orunitier posted:

It wasn't excessive at all. It was on the same level of Tales From the Crypt.
I guess we'll have to disagree on that one.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Xenomrph posted:

Again it just felt like something that would have worked better on the page in a Goosebumps/Scary Stories book rather than actual graphic violence in a horror movie.

Like it felt like I was watching a big-budget version of Tales from the Crypt/Twilight Zone/Are You Afraid of the Dark and my inner-child liked that a lot, and then it would switch to hardcore violence and take me right out of it.

Sam without the mask looking really goddamn goofy (all the while he's violently assaulting Brian Cox) didn't help, either.

Don't feel bad about disliking Trick r Treat because people around here liked it. I thought it was garbage too. My favorite was actually the werewolf one, the one that almost no one talks about.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

weekly font posted:

Don't feel bad about disliking Trick r Treat because people around here liked it. I thought it was garbage too. My favorite was actually the werewolf one, the one that almost no one talks about.
I actually liked the one with the serial-killer father the most, but that's mostly because I like that actor in pretty much everything I've seen him in.

The werewolf one was neat, although some of the actual werewolf effects were pretty "uhhhhh", like when they're ripping off their own skin and poo poo. I think they could have achieved the same "twist" without hokey special effects by just having the women all be vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Xenomrph posted:

I love Sam, mask and no-mask. He is the spirit of Halloween encased in a cobbled together body, so him having a pumpkin for a head makes sense. I also loved that all he wanted was for the man to play along with the ritual of Trick or Treat.

The scene where the man is in his room and the jack-o-lantern sets on fire, revealing the Trick Or Treat poem scrawled on the walls is one of my favorite images from any recent horror movie.

And I want to know what the gently caress version of Tales from the Crypt you were watching that wasn't violent. There was some hosed up poo poo in that show (and in the Scary Tales books).

If you wanted Goosebumps safe horror, you should have just stuck with the Goosebumps TV show.

Xenomrph posted:

The werewolf one was neat, although some of the actual werewolf effects were pretty "uhhhhh", like when they're ripping off their own skin and poo poo. I think they could have achieved the same "twist" without hokey special effects by just having the women all be vampires.

UGH.

Vampires? Yes. Let's forgo the interesting idea of them being Werewolves hiding in human skin and instead make them plain jane boring vampires because the effects might not be the best. (let's just ignore the fact that it would invalidate the Little Red Riding Hood metaphor that builds through the whole drat movie.)

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 19, 2012