Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

M4rg4r1ne posted:

What brand of tires are those?

http://www.scooterworks.com/Tire-Whitewall-Prima-350-x-10-TL-WW-P10222C566.aspx

These are the exact tires I purchased. The paint is REALLY white compared to some other's I've seen.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I feel like I had to change the color of the bike to black (or red) once I got the white walls because with the blue it looked weird. I didn't take any pictures of it, but it just didn't look right, too busy looking perhaps.

And just because we aren't blue Vino bros doesn't make us any less bros. VINO ARMY BITCHES :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Scoot question:
My buddy has a Lambretta Due 50, and he says that the throttle response is pretty terrible on it. Apparently the thing won't start to move until about 1/3 throttle, and even then it feels loose. I haven't worked on scooters before, but am I right to expect the typical screw-type cable adjusters near the throttle tube and carb?
edit: Yep, the adjuster near the throttle tube was just way out of whack.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 19, 2012

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
Hey, sorry, I don't want to turn this into the Natalie Shops For Scooters Comedy Hour but doesn't this seem way too cheap? Like, that price just makes me wonder what exactly is wrong with it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that an actual Kymco People? Something looks off about it

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Is that an actual Kymco People? Something looks off about it

I think it is, it looks like an older People 50.

Is it because of the mileage? Do people think they tend to fall apart after 10k miles? Looks like it's worth looking in to though, nothing really screams lemon to me.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

NurSpec posted:

I think it is, it looks like an older People 50.

Is it because of the mileage? Do people think they tend to fall apart after 10k miles? Looks like it's worth looking in to though, nothing really screams lemon to me.

People do seem to have a sense that anything over 5000mi is "high mileage" for a scooter, when that's usually not true. The bikes are fine for much longer than that but it's so easy to find low-mileage garage queens that people balk at anything that was really ridden.

The pessimistic side of me would be a tad nervous about a 2-stroke 50 scooter at 10,000 miles, but if it were half price I'd probably still buy it. Best case it stays awesome, worst case it needs a new top-end and you throw a kit.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Best case it stays awesome, worst case it needs a new top-end and you throw a kit.

Oh I thought you were talking about throwing a kit.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
He was. Also those Prima tires are available in 100/90/10 so that means I can get some for my Vino 50 if the ones from the donor scooter turn out to be garbage.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Oh I thought you were talking about throwing a kit.

Thanks, I needed that :)

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

SUCCESS!

Sorry about the awful craigslist pictures.

It's an Aprilia Scarabeo 50! 2001, 5600 mi, two-stroke. It's gorgeous and I am in love. I put a deposit down until this weekend so I can ride it back up properly.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Got some more problems with my cheap China 125cc!

Last night my battery was flat (again,) after a couple fruitless attempts to start while cranking the throttle I gave it up as a bad deal and took the battery inside to charge overnight.

The battery is topped off this morning, starter cranks over beautifully (without throttle) and the scoot idles fine, but the tiniest bit of throttle kills the engine. I had this problem in the past in similar situations, but it those cases it was fine rolling on flat road and after a few minutes the engine cleared up and I could floor it uphill.

Well this time I can't even get the wheels rolling when it's on the kickstand. I have no engine aptitude but at a guess it seems to be like there might be an airflow problem? Again this scoot was left untouched overnight so I figure if it was flooded last night it should be fine now.

The weather is heating up and I would really like to be able to ride again without all this bullshit. Once I can get it running I'll take it to a mechanic to get it looked at, but for now what can I do?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
So, was changing the oil on my scoot, and hadn't really looked at the air bellows since well, the last time I changed the oil (I know, bad owner, bad!) drat things have totally disintegrated. Great. Now it is either send away for a new one, hope it isn't from India (they use crap rubber and that was what the last one was made out of) or hope someone local has one (local Vespa store is closed till April). On the plus side I did change the oil.

Edit: I seem to have forgot some words or something in there.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 21, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Air bellows? Is your vespa powered by an iron smelting furnace?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Vespas are pretty steampunk apparently.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Classic-type Vespas draw air from under the seat, through the frame, then into the airbox. The part between the frame and the airbox is called the bellow.

It's the accordion-looking thing in this picture:

SpannerX, I'd just order one, probably from ScooterWorks. I ordered one from ScooterMercato a while ago and it was a piece of poo poo, so hopefully Works' are better quality.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I had no idea Vespas basically huff the farts of their riders.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

M4rg4r1ne posted:

I had no idea Vespas basically huff the farts of their riders.

That's how you get it to put out the power of a 150 when it's really a 125, methane injection :science:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Hey all. I've ridden my Suzuki Blvd for a couple years and my wife wants to get a scooter to ride to work (we live about 3 miles away). We've been scouring the papers and I found this today:

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcd/2902251673.html

So what is your opinion overall on this model? The OP says that Yamaha's are pretty solid so I feel confident about it, but is the price good and are there any questions I should ask the dealer? Thanks in advance for your help.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Unzip and Attack posted:

Hey all. I've ridden my Suzuki Blvd for a couple years and my wife wants to get a scooter to ride to work (we live about 3 miles away). We've been scouring the papers and I found this today:

So what is your opinion overall on this model? The OP says that Yamaha's are pretty solid so I feel confident about it, but is the price good and are there any questions I should ask the dealer? Thanks in advance for your help.

First: what are motorcycle license laws where you live? Just about everywhere requires a motorcycle endorsement of some variety for a 125cc scooter.

Vino 125s are great bikes. I had one for a few years, I sold it while I was unemployed, and I miss it terribly. :(

I don't know how the market is where you are, but $1600 seems a touch on the high side, though not a ripoff.

See the advice I gave Nayato up the page, that's all that really comes to mind for auto scooters. A weird thing about the Vino 125: the exhaust hanger bolt shears or backs itself out and the exhaust rattles. Usually not a big deal, but if left too long the header will crack.

The stock tires are kind of lovely, but that's true for most scooters.

It's a great bike, but there are plenty of good 125-150 scooters out there, so don't get too caught up.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Classic-type Vespas draw air from under the seat, through the frame, then into the airbox. The part between the frame and the airbox is called the bellow.

It's the accordion-looking thing in this picture:

SpannerX, I'd just order one, probably from ScooterWorks. I ordered one from ScooterMercato a while ago and it was a piece of poo poo, so hopefully Works' are better quality.

Yeah, I think the one that gave out might have been from ScooterMercato, but it could have been from ScooterWorks too, since I've ordered from both, I don't think it was from ScooterWest, which I've also ordered from. I'm thinking I'll go ScooterWest, since the description on their site says it's Italian. I've got an old ratty one that I replaced with the one that fell apart that I'll just duct tape the hole on it to get me through till the new one shows up.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SpannerX posted:

Yeah, I think the one that gave out might have been from ScooterMercato, but it could have been from ScooterWorks too, since I've ordered from both, I don't think it was from ScooterWest, which I've also ordered from. I'm thinking I'll go ScooterWest, since the description on their site says it's Italian. I've got an old ratty one that I replaced with the one that fell apart that I'll just duct tape the hole on it to get me through till the new one shows up.

Please post up how the ScooterWest one is. I have the stock one from my Stella (dry and cracked but not broken, like every stock piece of rubber) and one from ScooterMercato that could not even stretch to fit.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Unzip and Attack posted:

I own one of these currently. So far it's been a good bike. It gets between 60-70 mpg depending on how much city riding you do. The suspension and brakes are good for a single rider but two-up it's brutal. Easy maintenance. I don't know how tall your wife is but my 5'4" girlfriend doesn't like riding the Vino, saying it's "to big and heavy". Have your wife sit on it and test ride if possible before you buy of course.

Having spent a good amount of time watching CL for one of these before my girlfriend said she wanted something else, the price isn't bad for the mileage and the fact it hasn't been down. Like Gay Nudist Dad said, it's not really a 'deal', but not a bad price either.

Bone stock I was getting about 53 mph out of my Vino 125. I put an exhaust on it (didn't re-jet) and I get about 60-62 mph out of it now. (170 lb rider)

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

It's a great bike, but there are plenty of good 125-150 scooters out there, so don't get too caught up.

Went ahead and got it since she loved it. The price isn't as good as I could have gotten but I bought from a very reputable local dealer (they've been in business as long as I've been alive) so I feel pretty good about it overall.

Thanks for the advice, she's super excited to ride it to work tomorrow.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Please post up how the ScooterWest one is. I have the stock one from my Stella (dry and cracked but not broken, like every stock piece of rubber) and one from ScooterMercato that could not even stretch to fit.

Will do. I'll order it tomorrow, I've got someone lending my a ratty one, and I've got the original that has a hole in it (but hell, it's 30 years old)that I'm going to duct tape up. Yeah, duct tape and gas don't mix, but if I've got significant gas going to my bellows, then I've got bigger issues than that. :D

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Unzip and Attack posted:

Went ahead and got it since she loved it. The price isn't as good as I could have gotten but I bought from a very reputable local dealer (they've been in business as long as I've been alive) so I feel pretty good about it overall.

Thanks for the advice, she's super excited to ride it to work tomorrow.

Grats! It should be a great scooter for you.

I will suggest looking at new tires soon. The stock ones, as I mentioned, are pretty bad, and now they're several years old to boot.

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

I'm giving serious thought to repainting this bike from black to something more eye-catching, for visibility's sake. That doesn't seem like it would be too great of an undertaking. Plus the paint is a little faded anyway.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Nayato posted:

I'm giving serious thought to repainting this bike from black to something more eye-catching, for visibility's sake. That doesn't seem like it would be too great of an undertaking. Plus the paint is a little faded anyway.

Just get a bright helmet. I'm rolling a black scooter with a bright yellow helmet. People say it doesn't match, I don't care. Hopefully someone sees me and I don't get run over.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

There used to be a guy in town who rode a pink and olive drab scooter and wore a bright yellow safety vest. Don't be that guy and I think you'll be fine. Also seconding the bright colored helmet notion.

http://www.bmj.com/content/328/7444/857.full

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008
Plain white helmet supremacy. Of course the best armor is spotting and avoiding the shittier drivers.

Ok, so I'm scooter shopping and I spotted this:

Seems like its in great condition but that price is more than a bit higher than I'd like. Who here has a Helix or can vouch for it? Can I handle the occasional jaunts on the highway without feeling like I'm going to die horribly? Will I miss my fuel injected Elite?

Will I waste lots of money on aftermarket parts trying to wring out every last ounce of power from the two-fiddy? :ssh:

Purgey fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 22, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Purgey posted:

Can I
Will I
Will I

Doesn't matter, you'll be driving a :krad: 1970s space pod.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
There was a pair of ladies from my neck of the woods that used to tour on a Rebel 250 and a Helix. They'd do a 1000 k in a weekend on a regular basis.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Purgey posted:

Plain white helmet supremacy. Of course the best armor is spotting and avoiding the shittier drivers.

Ok, so I'm scooter shopping and I spotted this:

Seems like its in great condition but that price is more than a bit higher than I'd like. Who here has a Helix or can vouch for it? Can I handle the occasional jaunts on the highway without feeling like I'm going to die horribly? Will I miss my fuel injected Elite?

Will I waste lots of money on aftermarket parts trying to wring out every last ounce of power from the two-fiddy? :ssh:

That seems way too expensive.

And you'll only spend money wringing power out of a 1980s-design 4-stroke 250cc if you're crazy and like diminishing returns. I think they can benefit performance-wise from variator upgrades, but you won't be getting substantially more power out of that motor. If you need more power, buy something bigger.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Long shot here, but I'm looking for something in the Northern California area if anyone has/knows of anything.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
My 17 year old brother wants to get a scooter and was absolutely outraged when I told him he needs a full-face helmet. Help me beat some sense into him.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Will these help?

Your chin is the lowest part of your head and it's on the front. When you fall off a bike you fall downwards, and you are moving forwards. The result should be obvious.

[e] oh, and if he goes on about scooters being less dangerous than motorcycles, go on GIS and turn off safesearch and search for "bicycle crash face". I wanted to post some sample images but my skin is crawling to look at them. You don't need even need to be moving, let alone going quickly, to gently caress up your face by hitting the pavement.

[e2] okay, here's one. can't post it on imgur cause it's flickr so don't go ruining their bandwidth. :nms:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27572314@N05/2601796365/

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 23, 2012

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Hopefully. I already explained in words but pictures should help. Goddamn teenagers :corsair:

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

An observer posted:

My 17 year old brother wants to get a scooter and was absolutely outraged when I told him he needs a full-face helmet. Help me beat some sense into him.

Wait until he puts it on and punch him in the chin.

Repeat as necessary.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Have him stick his head out the window of a car at 35mph and wait until a bee hits his face. loving hurts. Plus full-faces are so much quieter.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

Well it seems to have worked. If he starts up again I'll just sock him in the jaw.

Thanks guys :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

An observer posted:

Well it seems to have worked. If he starts up again I'll just sock him in the jaw.

Thanks guys :)

You are a good older brother.