Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Erasure posted:

Wouldn't Dave utterly wipe the floor with Karkat since he's not god-tier?

Yeah, but it isn't impossible to kill god-tiers:

Though Karkat isn't a blind gambler with a canesword and an unshakable faith in the power of justice so he doesn't get to be a Zatoichi... Does Karkat get strength from romantic comedies? Are there any badasses in romcoms who inspired his character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

MrBims posted:

Though Karkat isn't a blind gambler with a canesword and an unshakable faith in the power of justice so he doesn't get to be a Zatoichi... Does Karkat get strength from romantic comedies? Are there any badasses in romcoms who inspired his character?

It's presumably impossible for Karkat to kill Dave over Terezi as such a death is neither just nor heroic.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

MrBims posted:

Will Smith in Hitch is kind of sort of a badass, and if there is a thing that the character of Karkat is clearly and entirely drawn from, it is Will Smith in Hitch.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I guess he could channel this, even if it's horrible.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I think the best thing that could happen right now is a perspective change to WV as he goes about his mayoral duties in Can Town with Terezi.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
This update makes it official, Dave is Batman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnTOqjAFxEw

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Omnomnomnivore posted:

This update makes it official, Dave is Batman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnTOqjAFxEw

Ummm I think you'll find that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5QBrwKF94

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zorak posted:

Ummm I think you'll find that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5QBrwKF94

Baby Dave ate a cartoon pony, Batman ate a cartoon pony. Dave is Batman.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Erasure posted:

Wouldn't Dave utterly wipe the floor with Karkat since he's not god-tier?

Possibly. I vaguely remember in one of the millions of Dave/Terezi conversations that despite not being a god-tier, being at the top of one's echeladder is a very close second in terms of power. I doubt both of them would unleash the bloody thing and timey thing at one another. A good ol' fashioned STRIFE! would be great though.

I hate to sound like a shipper, but I think that Terezi's going to wind up as an auspistice for Karkat and Dave.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

sitchelin posted:

I hate to sound like a shipper, but I think that Terezi's going to wind up as an auspistice for Karkat and Dave.

Wow, Karkat really is turning into Eridan. That's the oldest trick in the book.

I wouldn't worry about anyone's welfare here. It'll just be a typical middle school style fight with a lot of shoving and grunting and everyone will just end up having to go to the principal's office.

VVV I almost said I wouldn't be bothered to decide who the principal in this situation would be, but then I decided it was obvious and didn't.

Torgover fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 17, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Olivia42 posted:

Wow, Karkat really is turning into Eridan. That's the oldest trick on the book.

I wouldn't worry about anyone's welfare here. It'll just be a typical middle school style fight with a lot of shoving and grunting and everyone will just end up having to go to the principal's mayor's office.
There's only one authority figure on that rock.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sitchelin posted:

Flaw in that argument: Dave literally could not care less in any sense about Karkat.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Elysiume posted:

There's only one authority figure on that rock.

And now I'm imagining WV presiding over the dispute like a whimsical Judge Judy. Serenity gets to be the bailiff.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Cabbit posted:

He could not possibly have been thinking that far ahead.

Coming from someone who read the entire thing in um just over a month including Problem Sleuth, I am fairly certain he thought of this whole thing ahead of time, there is so much poo poo that just blew my mind and made it hard to keep linear track of things in my head because of how far everything circled back. Jesus this dude is STILL on acid.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Some things were planned pretty far ahead (he has said that the whole generation swap thing was a very early idea, for example) but a lot of it amounts to actually just throwing a whole lot of poo poo in the air and then sort of reaching up and grabbing something whenever it seemed appropriate. He "knew" barely anything about the trolls when he started introducing them, for one thing. It shouldn't work at all and the fact that it does is part of what's so unusual about this story.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
At the very least, he's gone on record as saying that the idea for the kid-guardian post-Scratch swap was something he came up with during the ectobiology sequence, and that a lot of the foreshadowing in general is retroactive. He peppers the story with little details that are unimportant until he decides they become important. Chekhov's Gun Rack.

So while he certainly wasn't thinking of Roxy when he wrote that line, he could say now that she was secretly winnie the poop 2 all along. But lot's of people on the internet make typos, and I'm pretty sure it was joke at the expense of GameFAQs and its lack of quality control.

Consider also that many of Roxy's lines are callbacks to SBaHJ; does that mean she's somehow been ghost-writing for Dave all along? (rhetorical)

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Some things were planned pretty far ahead (he has said that the whole generation swap thing was a very early idea, for example) but a lot of it amounts to actually just throwing a whole lot of poo poo in the air and then sort of reaching up and grabbing something whenever it seemed appropriate. He "knew" barely anything about the trolls when he started introducing them, for one thing. It shouldn't work at all and the fact that it does is part of what's so unusual about this story.

Now, what is really something to think about -- and I believe this was said on formspring -- when the trolls were introduced, and as early as the very beginning of Act 5.1, the hemospectrum didn't exist. The joke about the Thresh Prince "bluebloods" in Karkat's intro sparked fan speculation and Hussie ran the gently caress home with it. (This is also why Karkat's Land inadvertently reveals his blood color.)

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Walliard posted:

At the very least, he's gone on record as saying that the idea for the kid-guardian post-Scratch swap was something he came up with during the ectobiology sequence, and that a lot of the foreshadowing in general is retroactive.

He actually said that he came up with the idea when he came up with the ectobiology origins, not during the sequence itself. Which was around Act 3-ish. But yeah, otherwise that's totally correct.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Now, what is really something to think about -- and I believe this was said on formspring -- when the trolls were introduced, and as early as the very beginning of Act 5.1, the hemospectrum didn't exist. The joke about the Thresh Prince "bluebloods" in Karkat's intro sparked fan speculation and Hussie ran the gently caress home with it. (This is also why Karkat's Land inadvertently reveals his blood color.)

That seems unlikely, since he also mentions right then that the Bluebloods' blood is literally blue.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

That seems unlikely, since he also mentions right then that the Bluebloods' blood is literally blue.

He admitted on the formspring (which I don't have the archives for, but anyone can feel free to fact-check me) that this was intended as a one-off alien biology joke, but the fans loved the idea. Again, this is why Karkat's Land has red blood everywhere -- at that point Hussie was working under the assumption all trolls have red blood.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I think he has the story slightly misremembered is all, what I recall hearing was that in the process of making that page was directly when Hussie thought up the hemospectrum, possibly just for the sake of being able to make that joke.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Midnight Raider posted:

I think he has the story slightly misremembered is all, what I recall hearing was that in the process of making that page was directly when Hussie thought up the hemospectrum, possibly just for the sake of being able to make that joke.

Context and hindsight also sort of imply that this means that Troll Will Smith is a limeblood. Man, Karkat really IS Hitch.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Why are people acting like Karkat is acting differently or whatever? Turning into Eridan? What the hell is this, just because his vitriol is directed at Dave who we like?

Man this is how Karkat has been from day 1 just this time he's manning up and trying to confront his problems directly for once. And it's still hilarious.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why are people acting like Karkat is acting differently or whatever? Turning into Eridan? What the hell is this, just because his vitriol is directed at Dave who we like?

Man this is how Karkat has been from day 1 just this time he's manning up and trying to confront his problems directly for once. And it's still hilarious.

It's a joke about how Eridan did the same "appearify suddenly, knocking Kanaya off the platform" thing right before fighting Sollux.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I like to think Kanaya's remark indicates that this has kept happening again and again over the past year.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Eridan was awesome and Karkat becoming more like him can only be a good thing. :colbert:

As long as he doesn't lose his relationship juju and start copying Eridan's whiny bitch attitude. Remember, Eridan literally spent half his time in the game successfully taking down Angels (which were hard to kill even though he had his ultimate weapon already). Dude may have had no common sense but was a hell of a fighter.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Wrist Watch posted:

Eridan was awesome and Karkat becoming more like him can only be a good thing. :colbert:

Eridan was good, sure.

At being the worst.

He was the goodest at being the worst.

Erasure
Mar 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Captain Oblivious posted:

They're mad at him because he insulted the mayor.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
That may be the most beautiful book cover I have ever seen.

And Rose is so happy to now have it oh my god. This is amazing is Karkat actually proposing what I think he is? My avatar has never felt more appropriate.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 18, 2012

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Oh god. Snapped like a fox, indeed. This is not where I expected Karkat to go with this yesterday.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I think this is the happiest we have ever seen Rose.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

This is literally the best series of updates I've seen in a long time

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I think this is what we thought it would feel like when it looked like Hussie was going to go deeper into the troll romance details. At least that's how I felt.

Also Rose seems incredibly interested in that book.

Oh and Karkat being okay with all that made me go "wait, huh what?"

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
I'll give Karkat points for creativity. He... definitely spent way too much time thinking that one through. That's sure a plan, Mr. Leader.

I think we can all agree with Dave when he says

DAVE: oh my god
DAVE: why is this happening

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hmm, is anyone else getting a broken image for the second-last panel, now?

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.
Is it just me, or is it fantastic that all the in-person dialog is in "Dialoglog" format?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh my loving god this update I can't goddamn breathe. gently caress.

Also, after looking at the picture I imagined that Rose snatched the book halfway through Karkat's proposal and he just kept on going, and oh my god it got even funnier.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I am so glad this didn't turn into a fight. You're the best, Karkat. :allears:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

YggiDee posted:

Hmm, is anyone else getting a broken image for the second-last panel, now?

I think possibly he originally forgot the top left guy's horns? I'm not sure because if so he's fixed it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

If Rose is looking for writing inspiration there of all places, the next time Hussie graces us with a page of her Wizard fanfic, it's going to make Mindfang's journal look positively tame.