Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

If the last three updates aren't overshadowing any potential discomfort you might feel with massive hilarity, your sense of humor is probably broken. Please, see a doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Midnight Raider posted:

It's not actually that difficult of a concept to wrap one's head around, it's just the Troll-ese and quadrant talk combined sort of make most readers go cross-eyed. Karkat's somewhat clinical and overwrought explanation didn't help.

If someone reading this comic can't handle this kind of basic weird Troll romance stuff, I don't know how the hell they got this far with all the weird time and plot malarky that goes on.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Any chance Karkat is proposing this explicitly to cause Dave to run away cursing?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Any chance Karkat is proposing this explicitly to cause Dave to run away cursing?

He's not that subtle.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mystic Mongol posted:

That seems emotionally competent, Karkat isn't, no. Seems like that's pretty much impossible. Karkat has officially lost his poo poo, and he no longer has the distance of Trollian or the like to shield him for the vast apathy black hole that is Dave's regard for him, or the impending death of everyone by Jack to distract the trolls from how tired they are of his poo poo. The total self-destruction of his ego should be glorious to watch.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

TheRagamuffin posted:

Dave says what we're all thinking.

I'm lapping this poo poo up like milk at a cat-roleplaying contest.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

JT Jag posted:

It isn't hard to figure out the concept, the issue is that the concept kinda quickly leads to... potential gay stuff. Which isn't even a thing for trolls, but I think Dave might be even less of a homosexual than John.

Eh, it was an actual triangle that would be the case. Karkat is just proposing two alternating lines:

Karkat-:s:-Terezi-:h:-Dave

and

Karkat-:h:-Terezi-?-Dave

He doesn't care what Dave does, otherwise.

Erasure
Mar 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JT Jag posted:

It isn't hard to figure out the concept, the issue is that the concept kinda quickly leads to... potential gay stuff. Which isn't even a thing for trolls, but I think Dave might be even less of a homosexual than John.

Nope, all Strilondes are homoflexible.

Mystic Mongol posted:

That was what I thought about his love of Dane Cook at first.

Erasure fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 18, 2012

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I really have no idea what's going on, but it's hilarious. I would greatly appreciate an explanation though.

Really though, it's Karkat flipping out, Rose with a ridiculous smile on her face, and Dave just being completely :wtc: and that's good enough for me.

Erasure
Mar 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RedMagus posted:

I really have no idea what's going on, but it's hilarious. I would greatly appreciate an explanation though.

Bobulus explained it best a few posts up.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

RedMagus posted:

Not sure how detailed an explanation you want here, but...

So trolls, apparently, have four 'quadrants' of attraction, that correspond to the four card suits.

:h: is normal human love
:d: is sorta like best bros, plus keeping each other in check, since trolls are prone to flipping the gently caress out.
:s: is sorta like a hate so powerful that it draws two people together. Kind of like an arch-nemesis that you can't bear to kill, because the fight feels so right?
:c: I'm not super clear on this one. I think it's sorta like mediating between two people in a :s: relationship, making sure it doesn't tip too far in either direction (fall in love / kill each other).

Apparently Trolls believe it's possible to be in up to all four relationships at the same time.

Karkat is saying that he tends to go back and forth between :h: and :s: Terezi. He's suggesting a schedule in which, when Karkat and Terezi are :s:, Dave can be with Terezi, and when Karkat and Terezi are :h:, Dave stays out of the picture, or fights with Terezi.

Dave, understandably, wants nothing to do with any of this.

And now I feel a bit dirty, having written so many words about a fictional alien race's love life. :(

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 18, 2012

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Bobulus posted:

So trolls, apparently, have four 'quadrants' of attraction, that correspond to the four card suits.

:d: is sorta like best bros, plus keeping each other in check, since trolls are prone to flipping the gently caress out.
:s: is sorta like a hate so powerful that it draws two people together. Kind of like an arch-nemesis that you can't bear to kill, because the fight feels so right?
:c: I'm not super clear on this one. I think it's sorta like mediating between two people in a :s: relationship, making sure it doesn't tip too far in either direction (fall in love / kill each other).

Apparently Trolls believe it's possible to be in up to all four relationships at the same time.

Karkat is saying that he tends to go back and forth between :h: and :s: Terezi. He's suggesting a schedule in which, when Karkat and Terezi are :s:, Dave can be with Terezi, and when Karkat and Terezi are :h:, Dave stays out of the picture, or fights with Terezi.

Dave, understandably, wants nothing to do with any of this.

And now I feel a bit dirty, having written so many words about a fictional alien race's love life. :(

Nothing you actually wrote should make you feel skeeved. Laughing at culture clash and awkward teenage romance is not inherently creepy unless you're for some reason projecting something on to it or, for some strange reason, sexualizing it.

It's just teenagers being maladjusted dopes. It's funny.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bobulus posted:

While this is what I think makes more sense (at least as much as the quadrants/Trolls/Homestuck can make sense), what's stated is that the :c: relationship is designed to stop two trolls who hate each other from entering a :s: relationship. Like Vriska first treated Tavros in sort of an :s: way, but Kanaya kept intervening and made it into a :c:, so Vriska had to change tactics to :h: (also Tavros is incapable of hate).

Dick Bitchwhistle
Oct 28, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm not sure if Karkat is right about ever being :s: with Terezi. From what I understand, blackrom stuff is a lot more intense than just picking on someone for having nubby horns and such. I just think that if Terezi ever really had any black feeling for Karkat it would have been much less subdued. He just doesn't understand this because he hates himself so much he just assumed Terezi did too.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Ok, I was completely over-analyzing it. Thanks for the info!

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Bobulus posted:

:d: is the troll equivalent of family. You're in with them for the long haul and you're partly responsible for their actions.

It should be mentioned that Huss was probably aware of the ancient greek constructs of love, which are just as elaborate and complicated. It's cool, because our modern society deeply simplifies love into the idea of "true love," which is a completely bullshit term that causes us all a lot of distress.

:s: is something that I'm not aware has a name in modern critical theories, but I think it's something that our culture is becoming increasingly aware of (Kate Beaton's Nemesis, Mountain Goat's Alpha Couple, Venture Bro's Monarch, Death Note's Kira and L, and what I can only assume is going on in the BBC Sherlock reboot.) It's not a coincidence that pretty much every rivalry in modern lit is yaoi fodder for fangirls, I think it's something our culture as a whole is increasingly interested in.

:c: is kind of an awkward construct I think? Mediation doesn't really make sense in a society where people are so eager to seek rivalries in the first place. Of course, finding alternatives for :c: is kind of hard, because the remaining really distinct types of love are Agape and Ludus, which aren't love that are actually directed at any specific person, Mania, which is articulated in the :h::s: relationship that Karkat was just talking about, and Pragma, which is probably the best choice because it's devoid of any real emotions.

ugh, somebody please crucify me for talking about this.

snucks fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 18, 2012

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Mazerunner posted:

While this is what I think makes more sense (at least as much as the quadrants/Trolls/Homestuck can make sense), what's stated is that the :c: relationship is designed to stop two trolls who hate each other from entering a :s: relationship. Like Vriska first treated Tavros in sort of an :s: way, but Kanaya kept intervening and made it into a :c:, so Vriska had to change tactics to :h: (also Tavros is incapable of hate).

I think :c: is more meant to prevent blackrom in general. The way I read the explanations in the fiction is that since Trolls are violent and friend/enemy is the same word, then two people going all :s: on each other becomes more likely. And infidelity in general can lead to some... bad situations. For an alien race of bloodthirsty conquerors, if the primary emotion involved is hatred, I think a rainbow-hued bloodbath may ensue.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Hey its better than all tumblring out and squeeing unintelligibly.

If someone can find a way to avatarize Rose stealing the book I will pledge myself for the MSPA avatar crew. Kind of an awkward angle and framing though.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Maybe Rose reckons she can find a way to apply this to her own potential romantic dilemma (i.e. find a way to vacillate John and Kanaya between :h: and :d: )

Sorry, sorry.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Why would she need to? John's troll crush has died.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Also, three years will have passed by the time they see each other again.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

Well he is fourteen, which is obviously the most shameful year.

Dane Cook's entire routine is based around screaming and shouting about stuff. Of course Karkat likes him.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Let's face it, :c: only exists to complete the playing cards analogy.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
That guy is suggesting Rose bounce between the Karkat Shipping Diagram with John and her Sapphic eyebrow wiggling with Kanaya, and then relegate the off-parner to auspicism.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Prison Warden posted:

I think :c: is more meant to prevent blackrom in general. The way I read the explanations in the fiction is that since Trolls are violent and friend/enemy is the same word, then two people going all :s: on each other becomes more likely. And infidelity in general can lead to some... bad situations. For an alien race of bloodthirsty conquerors, if the primary emotion involved is hatred, I think a rainbow-hued bloodbath may ensue.

This page confirms what you just said.

There's also this page which shows that perhaps a clubs relationship can stabilize people who keep switching between hearts and spade with each other, thus allowing them to pursue those two quadrants elsewhere.

What amazes me is that the super-confusing romance novel that Karkat explained only involved half of the quadrants. I wonder what romance novels are like where characters find love in all four quadrants.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Walliard posted:

Let's face it, :c: only exists to complete the playing cards analogy.

The presence of an entire class of 'mediators' in romantic relationships is both logical and functional because of two facts:

Trolls are incredibly loving stupid about romance, and trolls that don't manage their romances properly are murdered when the man with the pail comes.

They have 2 genetic pairings a troll, and one platonic relationship, but like any complicated sentient being their emotions aren't binary. It's not BEEP BOOP LOVE HATE LIKE BEEP BOOP, it's a continuum. So like can feel like love, and intense love can boarder on hate, and so on and so on. In humans, this is just life. In trolls, this can screw up their very important need to fill pails and not be brutally slaughtered.

Hence the need for someone to check people's poo poo and make sure their relationships are working for them. Moirallegiance is about keeping you grounded on a personal level, while auspistice is about keeping you grounded on a romantic level.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

QueerPope posted:

I wonder what romance novels are like where characters find love in all four quadrants.

A Mobius Double-Quadrant 8-drangle.

:stare: The most unfounded & stable of all the troll relationshi-THIS IS STUPID.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

QueerPope posted:

This page confirms what you just said.

There's also this page which shows that perhaps a clubs relationship can stabilize people who keep switching between hearts and spade with each other, thus allowing them to pursue those two quadrants elsewhere.

What amazes me is that the super-confusing romance novel that Karkat explained only involved half of the quadrants. I wonder what romance novels are like where characters find love in all four quadrants.

It's probably super boring, Hallmark channel stuff by their standards. Everyone has a club and a diamond, everyone's placated in proper measure, nobody untowards gets eviscerated, etc.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

The entire system of troll romance feels like it was designed by some malignant, omnipotent entity to be frustrating enough to create the most violent culture imaginable.

Oh, wait.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Bobulus, I blame you for this.

At least we all agree that this was a brilliant update that is unlikely to be topped for two, maybe three weeks, or maybe whenever Dirk confesses to Jake.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

DrakePegasus posted:

The entire system of troll romance feels like it was designed by some malignant, omnipotent entity to be frustrating enough to create the most violent culture imaginable.

Oh, wait.

Yeah it was created by Andrew Hussie.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Bobulus, I blame you for this.

At least we all agree that this was a brilliant update that is unlikely to be topped for two, maybe three weeks, or maybe whenever Dirk confesses to Jake.

Followed immediately by Jane confessing to Jake.

Luckily by this time, they are in contact with the Trolls and Karkat has the perfect solution.

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 18, 2012

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
In the midst of all this troll romance talk, the Gamer Dater ads seem to be getting even weirder.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Cryophage posted:

Followed immediately by Jane confessing to Jake.

Followed immediately by Roxy and Jane's realization of just that an "ecto-sibling" is.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Hi all, I just caught up recently after starting a few weeks ago. I enjoyed Homestuck right away with the gamey stuff and the CS references, but I think the end of Act 3 was the first thing to really blow me away. I literally said "holy poo poo" out loud. Of course it only gets more epic from there. I'm looking at getting a Homestuck avatar too, but I haven't settled on anything yet. Most of the best Dave images are already taken, for example.

I think reading things through archive-binge style probably gives a different perspective. Things that might have seemed like long-winded distractions in realtime, like the Midnight Crew intermission or Hivebent, aren't so bad when read all at once (though those two at least did seem quite long even to me).

Anyway, I don't think people should feel the need to apologize or include "(No homo)"-esque disclaimers when discussing stuff like troll romance. It's an important aspect of the story and the character drama. It's not like people are posting their erotic fanfiction.

This is fun, it shows how much the popularity of Homestuck has blown up in the last year:
https://www.google.com/trends/?q=homestuck,+homestar+runner&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=1
(older-school Homest* included for comparison).

Finally, it's amazing how much my opinion of Vriska has improved considering I was at "major loathing" at one point. Still, it's hard to forgive her entirely for how she treated Tavros (not to mention Sollux/Aradia (not to mention being a mass murderer, although I guess that's not quite as bad for trolls as it is for us)).

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 18, 2012

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Cthulhuchan posted:

Followed immediately by Roxy and Jane's realization of just that an "ecto-sibling" is.

Shouldn't matter, as Rose just explained the Alpha kids are the same ones created by John and thus not siblings but rather clones of themselves.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So more like offspring, sort of.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Oh wait, that's right. Never mind.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ShardPhoenix posted:

(not to mention being a mass murderer, although I guess that's not quite as bad for trolls as it is for us)

I don't count the mass murder against her, it was either feed those other trolls to her lusus or get eaten herself. Hard to hold someone accountable for their actions when they effectively have a gun to their head. As for the other stuff, she was in the wrong there, but there are strong mitigating factors such as Troll societal and moral structures and the aforementioned hosed-up(even by troll standards) childhood. It's a miracle she wasn't a complete monster after all the hosed-up social conditioning she went through, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't count the mass murder against her, it was either feed those other trolls to her lusus or get eaten herself. Hard to hold someone accountable for their actions when they effectively have a gun to their head. As for the other stuff, she was in the wrong there, but there are strong mitigating factors such as Troll societal and moral structures and the aforementioned hosed-up(even by troll standards) childhood. It's a miracle she wasn't a complete monster after all the hosed-up social conditioning she went through, IMO.
Well, I think the combination of mind-raping one person into killing someone they like, followed up by a long-running campaign of psychological torture and physical and sexual assault against someone completely innocent and harmless counts as a bit more than "being in the wrong". At the same time though I can't help but feel sorry for her and even like her a bit. drat you Hussie :argh:.