Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

HoveringCheesecake posted:

God damnit. I just fought the lame assassin and trashed the Citadel, and would you look at that a big stack of my side missions that I was working on completing were taken out from underneath my feet. It's bad enough that they changed the journal so that you only get a piddly sentence or two to go on for each little side mission. Did I miss some kind of warning there or were other people caught with their pants down? I just thought I was visiting the Citadel again to have a chat. Then bam, sidequests gone.

I'm guessing someone has already ranted about this, but I needed to vent somewhere. I'm trying to stay spoiler free and I've succeeded thus far. Also I can't be the only person who hates the N7 missions that take place on multiplayer maps. It's just so obvious that they aren't designed for singleplayer.

EDIT: Oh look there is even a note about my rant at the beginning of the OP. And what is this about needing to play multiplayer to get the "best" ending? I thought they said that wasn't going to happen. :colbert:
Which time was that? I haven't beaten the game, was this the coup attempt at about the middle of the game? I've seen people complaining that the Citadel got closed off and/or they lost quests after some Citadel thing, and so far I've just had the coup and I chased those jerkholes off with relatively little damage and no sidequests getting cut off (except Barla Von, I guess, who's still showing on my minimap but isn't there any more). I've been wondering if something else happens later, or if the fact that I generally cut Udina off at the knees at every opportunity limited his influence during the coup, so everything was okay.

If you've got an iPad you can get Readiness up above 50% without ever doing multiplayer now. So... there's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

God damnit. I just fought the lame assassin and trashed the Citadel, and would you look at that a big stack of my side missions that I was working on completing were taken out from underneath my feet. It's bad enough that they changed the journal so that you only get a piddly sentence or two to go on for each little side mission. Did I miss some kind of warning there or were other people caught with their pants down? I just thought I was visiting the Citadel again to have a chat. Then bam, sidequests gone.

I did the same thing my first time through, and I skipped a bunch of important stuff, of course. Went back to an earlier save to redo it, but that meant I had to watch Mordin and Thane die AGAIN. Brutal. :(

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I haven't beaten the game so I'm not going to mouse over those spoilers. It was the first time you see the obnoxious ninja in person. I think I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, so I'm just going to reload the last save I have that allows me to finish the side quests that the game dumped after I ran into the assassin. I also missed some tiny little dogtags that were required to complete a N7 assignment that took place on a multiplayer map. loving christ I hate those missions.

So far I'd have to say that my feelings are mixed. And it sounds like all of the endings kind of suck rear end so I won't fret over this bullshit war asset thing too much.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

If you miss the pickups for the side quests in the actual mission missions, you can buy whatever it is you missed at the requisitions terminal in the Spectre office.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Does someone have a link to a good FailShep ME2 savegame?
Something along the lines of a ruthless racist who screws up at every turn, and with a lot of dead crew at the end of ME2.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
On that note, I know it was possible to transfer completed ME1 saves to the xbox 360 from the PC through Annakie's save-game site, although I never used it.

Is it possible yet to do that for ME3? Transfer completed ME2 saves over to the 360. I just played through ME1 and 2 to get a secondary save ready for ME3 and I'm honestly not sure if I want to do it again.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

Ending question: I've maxed out my reputation bar thing and have full paragon but at the end of the conversation with the Illusive Man, both options were grayed out. Do I somehow not have enough morality points or reputation or were there other requirements that needed to be met as well?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Crum Bong Shuffle posted:

Ending question: I've maxed out my reputation bar thing and have full paragon but at the end of the conversation with the Illusive Man, both options were grayed out. Do I somehow not have enough morality points or reputation or were there other requirements that needed to be met as well?

You have to paragon him in every conversation in the game. Some are buried in investigate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

EDIT: Oh look there is even a note about my rant at the beginning of the OP. And what is this about needing to play multiplayer to get the "best" ending? I thought they said that wasn't going to happen. :colbert:
There's ending stuff that requires multiplayer, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the "best" ending.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Magil of Shadow posted:

Did they spend missions flirting/bantering with eachother? Because I nearly lost it when my MShep and Tali spent nearly half of one of the Geth missions openly flirting with the other. I only wish I brought Garrus with me to call them out on it.

They are professionals so they don't do anything to get as sidetracked as that! But there are many little things which are there, if you are looking. Like on Menae they hold hands briefly when they meet again, and Garrus occasionally has changes to his dialogue to be a little more flirty or sweet. Jack will comment on it if you bring Garrus to Grissolm, and there is a cute little bit with Tali (if you bring them both) at the start of the dreadnought one.

I have to say I'm impressed with the writers, how they were able to write dialogue and interactions which 'work' for varying perspectives people have on the characters while still make those characters distinct. Some of the squadmate comments or crewmember conversations really change tone if you are bringing a different context to them, although writing-wise they haven't changed at all.

sauer kraut posted:

Does someone have a link to a good FailShep ME2 savegame?
Something along the lines of a ruthless racist who screws up at every turn, and with a lot of dead crew at the end of ME2.

http://www.masseffect2saves.com

Crum Bong Shuffle posted:

Apparently, you have to be consist with the P/R choices over all the game's dialogue with him, and there's one hidden in an 'investigate' option on Mars(?) which a lot of people miss.

Manley Pointer
Sep 6, 2010

Viperix posted:

Actually the same applies to the Normandy as well, it overall just feels a lot more alive and dynamic. Frankly, this is how all party based RPGs should do crew/party interaction from now on. Dragon Age did this well, but ME3 just made it even better and at least appear more natural and fluid.

A lot of the conversations between crew members on the Normandy were great, but I wish they hadn't reduced the number of actual conversations between Shepard and his crew in favor of these non-interactive, overheard lines. It's really weird to find yourself slowly walking in circles around a character so you can listen to their conversation (there were dozens of arduous scenes like this in the first Assassin's Creed, and ME3 brings back painful memories). And there are so goddamn many conversations like that, where the player is left to slowly spin in place or put down the controller and watch Shepard's idle animations so you can hear Javik finish telling Vega a joke.

It feels like a step backwards to me to have a scene where you find Tali drunk after meeting Miranda again late in the game and only be able to click A to talk, wait 60 seconds for her and Shepard to stop talking, click A to talk again to hear more of their conversation, etc. There are a bunch of scenes like that with the Normandy's crew. ME1 would have done it as a cinematic dialogue scene where you choose to be nice or to make fun of her or shout at her like an rear end in a top hat. ME3 usually isn't interested in giving players a choice about how "their Shepard" acts, and many of its character conversations are a non-interactive run through a single script.

So I disagree, I think Dragon Age: Origins did it much better by giving you much longer cinematic dialogue scenes with more choices for the player when you talk to party members in camp, and then having all the party banter happen when you are wandering around in town or a dungeon. You're already actually doing something (going to turn in a quest, looking for something, etc.) when your party members joke around or bitch at each other. That seems like a much more player-friendly system than expecting you to stop what you're doing and stand around if you want to hear the character stuff.

Bioware fixed the problem where party members seem to do nothing but wait in a room for you to talk to them, but for whatever reason they also made Shepard's own conversations with party members less interesting than in ME1 or 2.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Manley Pointer posted:

A lot of the conversations between crew members on the Normandy were great, but I wish they hadn't reduced the number of actual conversations between Shepard and his crew in favor of these non-interactive, overheard lines. It's really weird to find yourself slowly walking in circles around a character so you can listen to their conversation (there were dozens of arduous scenes like this in the first Assassin's Creed, and ME3 brings back painful memories)..

Oh god it's annoying when you have these overheard conversations on the Ctadel that are split into ten small portions. I can understand they'll want to split them up so that the character doesn't repeat too many lines but if it's an ongoing conversation where they're telling a story (I.e. the traumatized Asari in Huerta) it means that you either spend twenty minutes trying to hear a three minute conversation because you're having to make laps of the environment, or you're only hearing the next part some time later when you may have forgotten what she's said previously.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ugh, trying to change a PC save (downloaded from Annakie's site) to an Xbox Me3 save is like an exercise in dick-stabbing for my tech incompetent self. I'm so close, too!

EDIT: I think I got it working!

Holy poo poo, it worked, I'm a genius!

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 18, 2012

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

messagemode1 posted:

I chose Cortez, which made the ending really funny in my game, since Joker, Cortez and James stepped out of the Normandy to ... start a new tribe of people all by themselves? :getin: As I mentioned in the spoiler thread, this is weird because James was on the last suicide mission with me, and Cortez was shot down in London, so it makes no sense that they're on the Normandy somehow. Also, this would be the second time in a row Cortez loses an LI in a pretty short time, but I guess James can be his next fling.

Cortez was pretty boring though. I think Kaidan is the better lay for a male Shep but you kind of get shafted in your reward of awkward, uncanny-valley polygon smooching since the gay Kaidan scene is identical to the straight scene but with one of the scenes cut. Then again it would look pretty strange to have Kaidan carry male Shep around the way he does with femshep, so maybe that's for the best.

I found the Cortez romance very creepy. Tali romance is weird enough since she mentions she was a child when she first joined the crew and her enamoration began. But for Shepard to actively troll for grieving widows is really sick. And to then leave the guy again with the ending...

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Davincie posted:

I've always thought they just had a subtly hypnotizing aspect, making everyone see them slightly different and look more like their race, just look at the bachelor party in Mass Effect 2! Hell they might be creepy tentacle aliens for all we know.

precision posted:

...might be? :raise:

That's actually a pretty good theory though.

AAgggghh no it isn't :suicide:

They don't do that they aren't shapeshifters that wouldn't work why does this keep happening :negative:

Manley Pointer posted:

A lot of the conversations between crew members on the Normandy were great, but I wish they hadn't reduced the number of actual conversations between Shepard and his crew in favor of these non-interactive, overheard lines. It's really weird to find yourself slowly walking in circles around a character so you can listen to their conversation (there were dozens of arduous scenes like this in the first Assassin's Creed, and ME3 brings back painful memories). And there are so goddamn many conversations like that, where the player is left to slowly spin in place or put down the controller and watch Shepard's idle animations so you can hear Javik finish telling Vega a joke.

It feels like a step backwards to me to have a scene where you find Tali drunk after meeting Miranda again late in the game and only be able to click A to talk, wait 60 seconds for her and Shepard to stop talking, click A to talk again to hear more of their conversation, etc. There are a bunch of scenes like that with the Normandy's crew. ME1 would have done it as a cinematic dialogue scene where you choose to be nice or to make fun of her or shout at her like an rear end in a top hat. ME3 usually isn't interested in giving players a choice about how "their Shepard" acts, and many of its character conversations are a non-interactive run through a single script.

So I disagree, I think Dragon Age: Origins did it much better by giving you much longer cinematic dialogue scenes with more choices for the player when you talk to party members in camp, and then having all the party banter happen when you are wandering around in town or a dungeon. You're already actually doing something (going to turn in a quest, looking for something, etc.) when your party members joke around or bitch at each other. That seems like a much more player-friendly system than expecting you to stop what you're doing and stand around if you want to hear the character stuff.

Bioware fixed the problem where party members seem to do nothing but wait in a room for you to talk to them, but for whatever reason they also made Shepard's own conversations with party members less interesting than in ME1 or 2.

Given a choice between ME3's system and ME2's system or ME1's system, I'll take ME3's.

That is, I prefer ME3's much more fleshed out, natural characters to the static ones we got in ME2 or ME1. I will gladly trade not having as many real conversations with them, for the sheer amount of dialogue and scenes you could see that fleshed them out. I mean, I really appreciated that they do more than just sit around in the exact same spot in their rooms and wait for Shepard to come talk to them.

That said, I do admit that it was a problem that there's no easy to even continue a conversation you're listening in on among other characters. Like, to hear the story from the PTSD Asari in the hospital, I had to keep leaving and re-entering the hospital. And to hear Liara's conversation with Aethyta? Run back and forth from them to a bit away in the presidium commons.

So while I prefer the tradeoff of Shep having less dialogue and interactions for the characters just doing so much more than they did before, it can be annoying to actually hear it all.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aristobulus posted:

They don't do that they aren't shapeshifters that wouldn't work why does this keep happening :negative:

Neither of those people said they were shapeshifters.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

They said a lot of things, but in this case, they think Synthesis is the best ending.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

CaptainCarrot posted:

They said a lot of things, but in this case, they think Synthesis is the best ending.
See I'd argue that Destroy [Good] with Shep living was the best ending - The Catalyst said that I could destroy the Geth, but that didn't mean I did, especially when he also said that it could kill Shep, but he was still breathing at the end.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Do I really have to play multiplayer to get the best ending. I don't even have a gold subscription anymore. :(

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I still can't figure out why I didn't get the Paragon options during the Tali/Final missions, evne tho I always used the Paragon options in all three games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

netcat posted:

Do I really have to play multiplayer to get the best ending. I don't even have a gold subscription anymore. :(

You need multiplayer to get the best version of one of the endings. It's arguably not the best ending though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

I still can't figure out why I didn't get the Paragon options during the Tali/Final missions, evne tho I always used the Paragon options in all three games.

There are other considerations for those options being available besides Paragon points.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Dan Didio posted:

There are other considerations for those options being available besides Paragon points.

Well yeah, that's my guess, but I have no idea what I might have done wrong. Luckily (?) with the other outcomes it doesn't really matter because virtually nothing would change, and if there is another game to come, I'll just edit the save and it's gonna be like it never went wrong.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

SEKCobra posted:

Well yeah, that's my guess, but I have no idea what I might have done wrong. Luckily (?) with the other outcomes it doesn't really matter because virtually nothing would change, and if there is another game to come, I'll just edit the save and it's gonna be like it never went wrong.
Have you looked at the third post in this thread? It tells you what you need to do in ME3 to get the outcome you want.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

To convince The Quarian to stand down you need to have met a certain points threshold that's invisible. You need five points.

Basically, Tali and Legion both need to be loyal and survived the Suicide Mission. If you blew up the Geth heretics in 2, you just need to do the mission with Korris on Rannoch in 3 and you should be good. However, if you rewrote them, the Geth will be stronger, but you'll need to not only do Korris' mission, but rescue him during it instead of his crew.

To convince The Illusive Man, you need to consistently pick either every Paragon option throughout Mass Effect 3, or every Renegade. One on Mars and one on Thessia are nestled in the left-side, 'investigate' dialogue options.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

skoolmunkee posted:

awesome poo poo as always

Yo, skool, you wanna cook me up a ballin' Fai, er, Kai Leng Zoidberg? I'll plant a tree in your honor or donate to sick children or something.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

To convince The Quarian to stand down you need to have met a certain points threshold that's invisible. You need five points.

Basically, Tali and Legion both need to be loyal and survived the Suicide Mission. If you blew up the Geth heretics in 2, you just need to do the mission with Korris on Rannoch in 3 and you should be good. However, if you rewrote them, the Geth will be stronger, but you'll need to not only do Korris' mission, but rescue him during it instead of his crew.

One thing that also matters is whether Tali was exiled or not, because I rewrote the heretics but saved Korris and had no option for peace.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Aristobulus posted:

LOTS OF SPECULATION.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Wingless posted:

One thing that also matters is whether Tali was exiled or not, because I rewrote the heretics but saved Korris and had no option for peace.

Knew I was forgetting something. Yes, that counts as well.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yo, skool, you wanna cook me up a ballin' Fai, er, Kai Leng Zoidberg? I'll plant a tree in your honor or donate to sick children or something.

I think you mean Lieutenant Bastard Fai Leng

What's up Fai! I will see what I can come up with! I might not get to it til tomorrow though depending on how my day shakes out. :]

So, the Presidium Bank logo (next to barla von) looks an awful lot like a bread clip. It's 'cause they're holding your bread.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
If I give Miranda the resources she requests on the Citadel, will she survive? What impact (if any) does this have on my war assets?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
I'm not sure whether I ran into a glitch or not. Barla Von gave me a sidequest that I was supposed to do on Tuchanka. I 100% the Krogan DMZ, and when I returned to the citadel it was, of course, attacked. Now the quest never left my journal, and I can't do anything on Tuchanka, and Barla Von is no longer at the bank. The map still says he's hanging around the bank, but he's nowhere to be found.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

skoolmunkee posted:

I think you mean Lieutenant Bastard Fai Leng

What's up Fai! I will see what I can come up with! I might not get to it til tomorrow though depending on how my day shakes out. :]

So, the Presidium Bank logo (next to barla von) looks an awful lot like a bread clip. It's 'cause they're holding your bread.

If that was the design intention then I would like to applaud said logo designer.

Also the "Fai" idea is great, looking forward to your work as always.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Synonamess Botch posted:

If I give Miranda the resources she requests on the Citadel, will she survive? What impact (if any) does this have on my war assets?

Yes, I think if you don't meet her on the Citadel before doing Sanctuary she will die. If she lives she becomes an Ex-Cerberus War Asset

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Primetime posted:

I'm not sure whether I ran into a glitch or not. Barla Von gave me a sidequest that I was supposed to do on Tuchanka. I 100% the Krogan DMZ, and when I returned to the citadel it was, of course, attacked. Now the quest never left my journal, and I can't do anything on Tuchanka, and Barla Von is no longer at the bank. The map still says he's hanging around the bank, but he's nowhere to be found.

It's not a glitch (well maybe him still showing on the map is), you just can't finish that sidequest now. You were supposed to scan a planet in the Krogan DMZ and find a Shadow Broker Squad and then go back to see him before doing Tuchanka.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
Man, Sentinels are a lot of fun in this game: I'm playing an offensive fighter/mage type shotgun sentinel with stasis as a bonus power and it's a blast.

A lot of people swear by the defense matrix tank Sentinel, but there's nowhere near enough biotic detonations/tech bursts and power use there for my tastes. With Stasis I got all the CC I need to stay alive in the front lines shotgunning people on insanity, and even with shotgun use and 80% reduction from Tech armor all my powers have 3s or less of CD. It's great.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

evilalien posted:

It's not a glitch (well maybe him still showing on the map is), you just can't finish that sidequest now. You were supposed to scan a planet in the Krogan DMZ and find a Shadow Broker Squad and then go back to see him before doing Tuchanka.

Thank you. I did find the item I needed I just didn't stop back in time. Weird it's still in my quest log though.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Primetime posted:

Are you sure he's not there? I seem to recall seeing him stood by the window talking to a Salarian after that point (unless this was a different Volus).

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Noxville posted:

Are you sure he's not there? I seem to recall seeing him stood by the window talking to a Salarian after that point (unless this was a different Volus).

Yeah, that's a different Volus that you can support in one of the two-sided conversation things. I had the same thing happen. He's trying to withdraw all of his money from the bank and go to Sanctuary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Dan Didio posted:

To convince The Illusive Man, you need to consistently pick either every Paragon option throughout Mass Effect 3, or every Renegade. One on Mars and one on Thessia are nestled in the left-side, 'investigate' dialogue options.

Yeah I know, but the weird thing is, that I did all that.

• Locked thread