Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
Found some exciting surf/instro stuff recently:

Takeshi Terauchi - 70s comp I can't read but I'm excited to finally have some eleki in my collection
Insect Surfers - East West 10"
Jon & The Nightriders - Live at Hollywood's Famous Whisky A Go Go
Man or Astroman - inside the head of John Peel 2x7"

Does anybody read Japanese? Because some of these aren't translated.

Also not my picture but I finally received my These Estates 7" in the mail and I'm very excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006
My pal the tortoise, fast does he go?

Space human being posted:

Does anybody read Japanese? Because some of these aren't translated.

The name of the comp is Itoshi no Elina (Lovely Elina). The untranslated song titles are all traditional Japanese pieces whose names don't easily translate into English.

A5 - Tsugaru Jongara Bushi

This title doesn't really translate into English. Maybe it would be something like "Jongara Song of Tsugaru." "Bushi" means melody and is commonly used in naming Japanese folk songs. Tsugaru is a place in Japan, as well as a style of shamisen music. I think "Jongara" is an onomatopoeia describing the rhythm of the song.

A6 - Echigo Jishi (Echigo Lion Dance)

A7 - Kanjincho (The Subscription List)

A8 - Oedo Tokyobashi

This one doesn't translate either because it is the name of a bridge.

Side A, and track 1 of side B are Takeshi Terauchi and Bunnys. The rest of side B is Takeshi Terauchi and Blue Jeans.

Cool find by the way, bet it's good. I have one Bunnys LP, but it's more focussed on pop oriented vocal material than the surfier stuff.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
Thank you so much! It's a really great comp but I hate not having song titles. Now I just wish I could find some Yuzo Kayama stuff on vinyl.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

whoa

http://archive.beggars.com/releases/170/the-avalanches-since-i-left-you-vinyl-re-issue

is this real?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
God, I hope so.

That said, still gonna keep my original with the proper samples :colbert:

In other news PopMarket has 6 Magnetic Fields albums for 80 bucks as today's deal.

10% off with 'FACEBOOK10' as usual.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 14, 2012

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Dang I might have to jump on that deal. Though I wish i was included. I know a lot of fans dislike it but it's my favorite.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Blendy posted:

Dang I might have to jump on that deal. Though I wish i was included. I know a lot of fans dislike it but it's my favorite.

i is also my favorite. I didn't know it was pressed on vinyl.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yes. I spoke to a person who works with Modular Records earlier this year and he told me he could 100% guarantee there wouldn't be a new Avalanches album this year, but they were supposedly doing a big reissue campaign. It's my favorite record of all time, and even though I already paid $70 for a copy, I'll probably buy the reissue too.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

Blendy posted:

Picked it up, despite not having i (also my favorite), and already owning Love at the Bottom of the Sea. Still seems pretty well worth it.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

So based upon this image posted on reddit
http://i.imgur.com/QpggH.jpg
and this site
http://www.hhv.de/index.php?rid=269310&cid=1122211693&action=changeLanguage&lang=en
I think that The Roots' most recent album, Undun, will be getting a vinyl treatment this month.
I'm excited.

EDIT:
From looking at discogs it appears that there has been two European releases, one unofficial, and one official that came out this month.
Tricky stuff

Slamma Jamma! fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 14, 2012

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

i is also my favorite. I didn't know it was pressed on vinyl.

I don't know if it is or not but I'd love to have it on vinyl. I'd also like it if they'd reissue 69 since that RSD release now goes for around $250.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Blendy posted:

I don't know if it is or not but I'd love to have it on vinyl. I'd also like it if they'd reissue 69 since that RSD release now goes for around $250.

69 Love Songs was my birthday present to myself this time last year. I got it from Rasputin for $90.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Probably one of the best thrift store finds I have had in at least 2 years. $2.50 each and all in like new condition with no warping or scratches. I live in a rural/small town in Alabama so to see these hidden behind piles and piles of terrible Gospel/Christmas albums made me pretty drat excited.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
That's great, Remain in Light is not as common as a lot of their catalog, and it's one of the greatest records of all time, so well played

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

I'm really jealous of that find.
All the thrift stores around here have is christmas albums

It really sucks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm not going to knock Remain in Light, but I like Fear of Music better. Either way that's an awesome thrift store find. Two great albums for five bucks is always a good thing. I'm always jealous of the thrift store finds people post here. I never come across anything good.

edit: I did recently find a two disc Leadbelly LP, but of course one disc was missing and the one that was left was completely trashed. It made me sad.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I'm back at my parents' house visiting for a week. I stopped through Boston for a few days and hit up some various record and thrift stores. Today I also hit the two Goodwill stores in the area. Spoils (and explanations) ahoy:

I now have the first 6 major REM releases on vinyl (along with a few singles). I also ran across a copy of Automatic for the People in Boston, but they wanted $30 for it and I wasn't having any of that. I'm also really pleased about my practically mint $4 copy of Easter. gently caress the $16 reissue.

Some more Talking Heads stuff and some poetry for you fancy pretentious types.

Opera! Classical! Three motherfucking versions of Rhapsody in Blue! (I reaaally like Gershwin, and I spent 2 bucks on all three).

Soundtracks!

Theeaaater!:gay:

That Sound of Music LP is of the 1959 Broadway run, not the film. The bottom of the sleeve has a blurb that promises, "You can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future." Ruh-roh.

I don't know anything about the tango record (aside that it's from the mid-'50s) but that copy of Stokowski conducting the AAYO in Ravel's Bolero is a gorgeous shellac 78 from ~1940-41. Stokowski started the orchestra in 1940 and it was disbanded when the US entered World War II. I can't play this record, but since it only cost a dollar at Goodwill, I'm content to just ogle it.

More THEEAAATER!!:gay::gay:
These come with script booklets. As if a theater major like moi would need them, Ho ho!

Some "lesser" Costello (bullshit, Imperial Bedroom is better than Armed Forces) and stuff.

That Supremes compilation is from 1967.

A circa-1963 memorial compilation of JFK speeches (and Kennedy-Nixon debate clips), an album of German/US military noises from 1962, some evangelizing, and PDQ Bach because....why not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_Vtb2nZMM

Learn a new language!

A closeup of some shady dealings. Look at that skeevy Italian. What's he planning? I bet he has an erection.

Smut(!)

And the crown jewel....

The one on top is from 1959 and the one below is the 1961 reprint after the chipmunks got really popular.

The 1959 print is red(gasp!)

Also, I picked up a pair of these bad boys:

....for all of $16 (as in 8 bucks each). They're massive (see wallet, glasses, keys, and assorted bobs for reference) and in great shape aside from some scuffs and light water damage on one cabinet. They sound really good (for the price. Bass is a bit weak considering their size, but my apartment is small enough where that shouldn't matter. They'll hold me over until I buy some Mordaunt Shorts).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 15, 2012

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007

Ohh man, I would love to see this get a re-release. I've been searching for it, but the only places I found it are overseas and I don't know if I trust it to make it here in one piece. *Edit* Is this only available from the UK Amazon? Trying to find a place where it can be pre-ordered.

Also, really jealous of the guy with all of The Caretaker releases. I'm not the biggest fan, but I would really love to get Bliss (except it's going for ~$75 on discogs right now).

JohnnyWarbucks fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 15, 2012

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I stopped through Boston for a few days and hit up some various record and thrift stores.

This reminds me of hitting a goodwill recently. About 20 boxes of records were out so I beelined. Guy was picking through and a mom was sitting in a chair making weird faces at a Chicago record.

I dig through about five boxes and its all showtunes. The mom asks the guy if the Chicago album she's been looking at for TWENTY MINUTES is any good. He says "I hate Chicago." She says its for her son. He says "He will probably hate it." I like this guy, a lot.

I ask him what he's been digging and he pulls out random crap so I figure its hosed and my friend comes over, asking what I've found. I said "oh its a lot of crappy showtunes, disney records and dadrock." We continue to sit around shooting the poo poo and then he abruptly gets up and leaves, exclaiming "well I've found my stash for the month!"

He proudly shows me Dr. Zhivago, random terrible showtunes, language records and a Serge Gainsbourg record. Okay, the Serge record is cool.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

It's at least twice as good as you think it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIgGrzQVK3g

Tiny Faye fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 17, 2012

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Just got another special something in my quest to have every Coil record:

Astral Disaster (next to a four leaf clover my girlfriend found today)

I can't get a shot that doesn't make it look opaque and black, it's on translucent gray and looks quite gorgeous.

And another exciting something:
Foetus - Sink

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Tiny Faye posted:

He only released 3 albums, so it's a super easy discography to finish. I have this and his first Read My Lips, but i'm missing the third, Simplicity.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Tim Curry has replaced Steve Buscemi as my go-to Tommy Seebach doppleganger.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm back at my parents' house visiting for a week. I stopped through Boston for a few days and hit up some various record and thrift stores. Today I also hit the two Goodwill stores in the area. Spoils (and explanations) ahoy:

What a haul.

I would have gone straight for everything you had there too.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

ATDI are repressing Vaya for Record Store Day. 500 copies.

The catch? They're only being sold at Coachella.

The fuckers.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Numero Group has some really cool releases planned for RSD:

quote:

We just saw a recent list of exclusive Record Store Day product being issued on 4/21/2012, and all of the sudden our Solid Bronze comp we started feeling like it was sending a message that Numero was just half-assing this whole thing. To remedy the situation we had a five hour power meeting late last night and came up with a list of 14 titles we’re going to rush into production to fill the obvious customer demand. Look for the following in stores on Record Store Day, and don’t forget to thank Michael Kurtz for helping us raise the bar.

Syl Johnson – The Unedited Interviews, Volume 1 {6LP marbled-vinyl picture disc boxset, housed in a custom slipcase, plus 496-page “libretto”} [Packaged with a hand-numbered vellum pamphlet replicating the complete #shitmysylsays tweets]

Johnny Lunchbreak – The Break Goes On {Reunion tour 3LP set} [4000 pressed in steam-colored 150-gram vinyl, 1000 on sky-colored 180-gram vinyl, packaged in a 200-gram vinyl lunchpail]

Shirley Ann Lee – The 4hero Remixes {Double 10″} [1000 on marbled vinyl, 1000 on shredded swiss cheese vacuum-pressed into LP, playable only once (perishable, keep refrigerated)]

George Lopez – George Lopez Delivers A Somber Meditation on Lowrider Soul Oldies {LP + mp3 CD-R} [Limited to 1,976 copies.]

Various Artists – Rinked: The Skips & Scratches Compilation {7″} [A bracing cacophony of harsh pops and clicks pulled from vintage records and unique acetates used as original Numero source material, presented as two side-long tracks. Hear five decades worth of damage! Every 7” pressed with a one-of-a-kind inclusion of crumbled acetate pressed into the vinyl!]

Syl Johnson versus Branford Marsalis versus Flaming Lips {2LPs on white chocolate vinyl with a graham cracker crust} [Three legendary performers/creators collaborate on, cover, and remix each other’s material; packaged in a confetti-stuffed and fake-blood-soaked Megadeth t-shirt. Limited to 50,000 copies]

Eccentric Soul: The Capsoul Label, Special Edition {2LP} [8th Anniversary limited edition: Exactly the same release Numero fans have come to know and love, pressed on white vinyl and then hand-blacked out with Sharpies by Numero interns. Limited to 10,000 copies]

Eccentric Breaks & Beats: Chopped & Screwed Edition {LP} [We’ve taken a limited number of deadstock copies and added a FULL COLOR printed sticker that implores the listener to pitch the record way down.]

Numerophon’s Impressions Series: Nilsson(?) Sings Numero {2LP, hand-cut lacquers, candy cane vinyl} [Yes, Harry Nilsson’s been dead for some time now....But it’s a little known fact that Cheap Trick axeman Rick Nielsen does a mean Nilsson impression. Here, he warbles through 20 of your favorite Numero selections with that distinctive Nilsson charm. Limited to 20,000 copies]

Quentin Tarantino Presents: Eccentric Soul: Twinight’s Lunar Rotation {4LP, extra virgin blacksploited vinyl} [Replicates the original Twinight's Lunar Rotation in exacting detail, but with Tarantino’s name egregiously displayed across the top....and the liner notes rewritten as a banal conversation about The Jackson 5, held over a lunch consisting of Chicago-style deep dish pizza and shots of Jeppson’s Malört. Limited to 2000 copies]

Eccentric Soul: The 10” Series [All 28 of our Eccentric Soul 45s recut on this noticeably bigger and more unnecessary format.]

Local Customs: Lone Star Lowlands, Toxic Petrochemicals Edition {3LPs} [All three picture discs feature a horrifying image of a Golden Triangle oil rig fire, shot by an East Texas townie. Guest preface by Werner Herzog. Our original compilation is resequenced and pressed into 240 grams of virgin PVC sourced from condemned Gulf Coast/Piney Woods oil derricks. *Not a limited pressing]

Syl Johnson: Complete Lithography Etched Vinyl Boxset [No music for Kanye West to “borrow,” just 20 unique, limited edition scenes from Syl Johnson’s history of litigation, etched by Alaskan scrimshaw pioneer Archie James Cavanaugh, packaged in a gorgeous attache case fit for any court room!]

I Got’Cha!: The Office Confrontations, Volume 1 {2LPs pressed into blood red vinyl} [The first in a vast, multi-volume series of field recordings captured for posterity inside the Numero office, a rented van, or a midwest Chili’s franchise. Volume 1 features four entire LP sides brimming with bitterly contested and scintillating arguments concerning the punctuation of possessive nouns in Numero liner notes! Limited to 1500 copies.]

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Duckula posted:

The fuckers.

"Repressing" certainly is the right word.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

Duckula posted:

The fuckers.

So they are gonna be selling 500 insanely warped records.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Surfingelectrode posted:

Numero Group has some really cool releases planned for RSD:

hahaha.

Their RSD release last year was very good, though. One of the reasons I can't truly hate RSD is that every year for at least the last 3 years, there have been some outstanding records released.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Forget RSD jokes, when are Numero's Codeine reissues coming out?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

theradiostillsucks posted:

Forget RSD jokes, when are Numero's Codeine reissues coming out?

...May 22?

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

chime_on posted:

...May 22?

Awesome. I swear there wasn't an update when I checked their blog forever ago and there seems to have been so much news that has piled up since that I missed it.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
I'm really glad I live alone. If I had roommates one of them might have seen me dancing like an idiot to my new Devo record just now. :holy:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
How often do you guys run across older sealed LPs?

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
A lot.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

plogo posted:

A lot.

There's no record stores left in Savannah (I think) and I just need one more sealed ELO album (ELO II) to complete my collection. I've yet to see one on ebay or even GEMM.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

There's no record stores left in Savannah (I think) and I just need one more sealed ELO album (ELO II) to complete my collection. I've yet to see one on ebay or even GEMM.

Don't the Graveface guys have a store there? I would assume they have cool stuff.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

How often do you guys run across older sealed LPs?

They are pretty scarce around here, especially for the era you are looking for. Even if I saw one I would probably not get it as it would probably be priced quite expensive given the item's worth, and I don't think I could bring myself to open it, and unless I already had a copy, this defeats the purpose of owning it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The other problem with old sealed LPs is that if you open it and it's defective, there's gently caress all you can do about it. At least with used LPs you can check the condition and with new stuff you can return defective items. Plus, you'll likely be paying a premium for it. This is actually why a lot of collectors stay away from vintage sealed LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

The other problem with old sealed LPs is that if you open it and it's defective, there's gently caress all you can do about it. At least with used LPs you can check the condition and with new stuff you can return defective items. Plus, you'll likely be paying a premium for it. This is actually why a lot of collectors stay away from vintage sealed LPs.

Yeah, especially the shrinkwrap tends to tighten over time and can warp the record and mess up the corners of the jacket.

It feels pretty great to buy a sealed copy of an old record and open it up for the first time, though.