Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

Awesome, I'm leaning towards the Ninja. Especially since I get a discount at a certain retail company I work for and they have a gift card offer on it this week.

I got it at Bed Bath & Beyond for $100. Of course I had one of those 20% off coupons. I also had $30 in store credit and I can never force myself to buy anything there because it's all overpriced compared to what I can find online. So ultimately I got it for $50, which is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

I think my Mom might have one of these but I've never used it. Do you have this one? The changeable blades are a good idea, as I'm sure different blade designs work better for different tasks. I will have to try her's out when I'm over there next time. What I'm really hoping for is a blender that can make frozen drinks without having to add a small amount of ice cubes at a time. I want to be able to just throw everything in there and hit 'go'. That might not be possible in the <$100 price range though.

I got it as a wedding present- the lack of "settings" would have prevented me from buying it myself, but it's really not a problem- pulsing it by hand actually gives you more control. I use it to make smoothies and it does fine, even without the ice blade. I've never used it to make margaritas or anything really super smooth and icy, though. It has all metal gears and it's built to withstand a tornado, and it's easy to clean. No bells and whistles, but it works well and doesn't quit.

If you're really into just frozen drinks, the best option is something like this.

mindphlux posted:

I don't know what you mean

for reference, I have this pan - http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-D13...y/dp/B00006FX83 as my only hard anodized kitchen item

it didn't have any sort of coating, so I don't think it's even possible to 'ruin' it. I regularly scrape the poo poo out of it with forks, metal spatulas, steel wool, et cetera, and it works just as well as it did the first day out of the box. I abuse the heck out of it, put it in my dishwasher, put it directly on glowing hot charcoal, etc etc, and it seems to take it all in stride.

Don't know what to tell you. I have this pan, and it looks like this:

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 17, 2012

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Don't you dare buy a Margarittavile.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

Don't know what to tell you. I have this pan, and it looks like this:

(why the hell does it take hours for my phone to email me a pic? I'll edit it in later. just pretend you're looking at a scratched up pan.)

strange. I read some reviews on that pan I linked and some people were talking about different anodizing processes, and how calphalon had changed the way they made stuff. maybe the 'commercial' line is somehow more durable

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

If you're really into just frozen drinks, the best option is something like this.

I can't believe how many five star reviews there are for that. If you're spending that much, get a vitamix or a blendtec. You can use the counter space you save for a small car or something.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Doodarazumas posted:

I can't believe how many five star reviews there are for that. If you're spending that much, get a vitamix or a blendtec. You can use the counter space you save for a small car or something.

I wasn't advocating that particular product, just saying that if you're really into margaritas, an ice crusher + blender deal is the best tool for the job. I'm not saying it's a necessary kitchen appliance.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

I wasn't advocating that particular product, just saying that if you're really into margaritas, an ice crusher + blender deal is the best tool for the job. I'm not saying it's a necessary kitchen appliance.

Ok, fair enough. I was honestly just surprised by how positive the reviews were, not so much trying to call you out. I always thought those were sky mall crap.

And it was a little disingenuous of me to suggest alternatives that start at about 100 dollars more.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Mr Executive posted:

Don't you dare buy a Margarittavile.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1798430

This is the only thread that matters when it comes to margaritas.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
God that thing is somehow still funny.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mindphlux posted:

I don't know what you mean

for reference, I have this pan - http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-D1382PB-Commercial-Hard-Anodized-Everyday/dp/B00006FX83 as my only hard anodized kitchen item

it didn't have any sort of coating, so I don't think it's even possible to 'ruin' it. I regularly scrape the poo poo out of it with forks, metal spatulas, steel wool, et cetera, and it works just as well as it did the first day out of the box. I abuse the heck out of it, put it in my dishwasher, put it directly on glowing hot charcoal, etc etc, and it seems to take it all in stride.
My primary frying pan is a 12" Calphalon Unison and it's great.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

mindphlux posted:

strange. I read some reviews on that pan I linked and some people were talking about different anodizing processes, and how calphalon had changed the way they made stuff. maybe the 'commercial' line is somehow more durable

I've seen several "hard anodized nonstick" pans that were actually coated on the inside with teflon, so all you're really getting out of it is a sort of thick aluminum. It kills me every time I see them.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I went with the Ninja blender. Bought it at like 3:00 today and made like 6 smoothies and 2 frozen drinks already. So far I am very happy with it. It doesn't crush the ice into snow exactly, so there is still some very small ice chips but that doesn't bother me. Mainly because this thing blends and crushes so quickly. I can throw in all the frozen fruit, ice, milk and hit 'go'. 15 seconds later I'm ready to drink!

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
I've had this vague distrust of the Ninja brand ever since I became aware of its existence. The brightly-colored boxes and infomercial display at Bed, Bath & Beyond, the constant comparisons to other, more expensive blenders, it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I found one of these: ,new in box at a goodwill in South Austin. Apparently they acquired it after Target did literally everything in its power to get rid of this blender (the last clearance tag priced it at $22).

I will most likely never buy another blender. It's heavy, in the unnecessarily heavy, old-power-tool way. It's noisy, hateful, has a hilariously fat cord, like a bandsaw, and will power through anything you throw in it. It annihilates ice, will tear through the toughest, most lemongrassy curry paste with ease, screaming with All-American Malice as it turns cashews into soup before your very eyes.

I love my blender, and it may not have a 1000w motor, it's lovable, not (to the best of my knowledge) manufactured by slaves, and does everything a blender should do and more. Also, it looks like something a fictional bartender named Jasper would own.

The Waring Professional Bar Blender:It's forty dollars cheaper than a plasticky-looking, Billy Mays Space Pod Wal-Mart-Brand-Blendtek, and that's four decent six-packs, and a whole lot of not looking like a Petit-Bourgeoisie suburban housewife.
e:JESUS WHY WON'T BBCODE WORK

CARL MARK FORCE IV fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 18, 2012

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

http://home.woot.com/ - today they have a 6-quart Crockpot for 29.99. Pretty good deal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Colt Cannon posted:

http://home.woot.com/ - today they have a 6-quart Crockpot for 29.99. Pretty good deal.

Never seen one that looked like that, what the hell is it?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I really don't understand crock pots. do people who own crock pots not have ovens, or pots, or what?

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
People who own crockpots have jobs that require them to leave their home.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hutla posted:

People who own crockpots have jobs that require them to leave their home.

people who own ovens also have jobs that require them to leave their home

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

people who own ovens also have jobs that require them to leave their home
I wouldn't feel safe about leaving the oven on while I was out

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mindplux you hatin' lately.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You should hear his opinions on cast iron crock pots.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
All mine really gets used for anymore is making dog food (where it doesn't matter if parts get overcooked) and mulled wine/cider.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

bunnielab posted:

mulled wine/cider.

Holy loving poo poo this is brilliant, why have I never thought of this?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

mindphlux posted:

I really don't understand crock pots. do people who own crock pots not have ovens, or pots, or what?

You throw poo poo in a pot. You go to work. You come home from work, food is ready. What's so confusing?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

Mindplux you hatin' lately.

yeah I know right hehe :)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

Holy loving poo poo this is brilliant, why have I never thought of this?

Xmas this year was three days of spicy, drunken blur.

I actually went and bought a second, smaller crockpot just to make drinks in. poo poo rules.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Anybody ever bought any Rev-A-Shelf stuff? They carry them at Lowe's, and I was interested in this for our pots/pans:

http://www.drawerslides.com/p/ras-5389-33cr

It seems pricy as poo poo, and while it looks nicer than how I can make it myself in wood, there is a point where that doesn't matter so much (and 260 bucks is right on that line). Is their stuff sturdy and well-built?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Space in my kitchen and life is at a premium. To what degree can I combine a blender, food processor, and (this is probably a stretch) mixer? Is there a single device with attachments that could do most of these things without being a total piece of poo poo? I'd pay for such sorcery.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Depending on what you need to make in the blender, you can make most of it in a food processor. A mixer is totally optional: you can replicate the functionality with a bowl and a spoon.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A mixer is mostly there for keeping your arms from falling off by mixing thick batters.

One thing that's hard to do without the mixer is meringues and foams, but you can get a hand mixer with whisk attachments for those.

Someone had bought a kenwood 3-in-1 device, I asked them to post a review here but it's been a couple months now...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...uwZF1NZuv-LTlFg

I think it's only sold in the UK though...?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 19, 2012

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

A mixer is mostly there for keeping your arms from falling off by mixing thick batters.

One thing that's hard to do without the mixer is meringues and foams, but you can get a hand mixer with whisk attachments for those.

Someone had bought a kenwood 3-in-1 device, I asked them to post a review here but it's been a couple months now...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...uwZF1NZuv-LTlFg

I think it's only sold in the UK though...?

I don't know about processors but I think kenwood mixers are sold under cuisinart in the us.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
you might try an immersion blender, which would at least sort of combine the mixer and blender functions? but it really depends on the sort of things you are wanting to blend - like trying to blend ice with an immersion blender would be hilarious at best. I mostly use my blender for sauces and soups though, so when I got an immersion blender it really made my home kitchen life about 38% easier - just in saved cleanup time and hassle.

And, you might try a mini food processor, if you're not making huge batches of stuff. There are plenty of mini food processor / blender combos that I imagine are pretty ok - I have a separate mini processor, blender, and a food processor, but I guess that just happened because of circumstance

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Huh, cuisinart's Mixer also has a mini processor attachment

http://www.wayfair.com/Cuisinart-Fo...ved=0CHIQgwgwAA

edit: it was Scientastic who had the do-everything Kenwood:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3458525&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post399902527

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 19, 2012

Fredus
Sep 4, 2004
the lonely albatross

granpa yum posted:

I don't know about processors but I think kenwood mixers are sold under cuisinart in the us.

No I think it's actually delonghi.

The blender and food processor attachments I have used on the Kenwood chef are pretty good. I'm sure the blender is nowhere near as good as a Vitamix or other equivalent brands but its probably on par with normal consumer blenders.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Fredus posted:

No I think it's actually delonghi.

The blender and food processor attachments I have used on the Kenwood chef are pretty good. I'm sure the blender is nowhere near as good as a Vitamix or other equivalent brands but its probably on par with normal consumer blenders.

I thought Delonghi sold parts of the kenwood stuff to cuisinart. At one point Delonghi definitely sold rebranded Kenwood mixers and Cuisinart's current model looks almost identical to the Kenwood design. I'm not sure though, it's really confusing. I bought a kitchenaid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-DFP950-Die-cast-Processor-Blender/dp/B003SHCKX2

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-Capacity-Processor-Integrated-Blender/dp/B005MMN5P8/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1332149967&sr=1-2

It appears to be Delonghi in the US

edit: I should note that the mixer attachment doesn't seem to come stock, and needs to be purchased separately

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 19, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I casually suggested to my girl that we pick up a pasta roller attachment for our kitchenaid mixer, to replace the somewhat annoying hand crank one we have.

holy moly is that thing really goddamn $200 msrp?

I wonder if I could jigger up sort of attachment to bolt my hand crank one on to the mixer. hmmm

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

I casually suggested to my girl that we pick up a pasta roller attachment for our kitchenaid mixer, to replace the somewhat annoying hand crank one we have.

holy moly is that thing really goddamn $200 msrp?

I wonder if I could jigger up sort of attachment to bolt my hand crank one on to the mixer. hmmm

I'm not a big fan of the pasta attachment. I thought I would be, but it's really just as inconvenient as a hand cranked one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have this standalone electric roller and it rules. it's heavy as poo poo, but it does a great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

I'm not a big fan of the pasta attachment. I thought I would be, but it's really just as inconvenient as a hand cranked one.

good to know! I figured the thing would be 60 or 80, and even at that price I thought it was a bit much. time to hold off on the suggestion, because I can totally see one of her relatives getting it as a gift or something

• Locked thread