Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

zyce posted:

Holy balls, I just got me sum Topres!! Sharetime!

I use my keyboard all day at work, and am a highly competitive Starcraft II player. While I own a Filco TKL w/ MX blues, I've always been torn about switching to MX browns/blacks that I've tried. I had read a lot about Topre switches, but only had the chance to use some for a few minutes. I've wanted one ever since.

I just received my Realforce 87U yesterday, and I'm so deeply in love with it. Typing on this makes me want to let people know I'm a keyboard enthusiast. I want people to feel what it's like, and get one of their own. Keyboards are suddenly a very important part of my day. I feel like I'm launching missiles with these keystrokes.

It's difficult to show in the images, but the black on black lettering is barely visible, unless you're looking directly at the keyboard. If the light hits it a certain way, they show up quite well. I'm a pretty good touch-typer, so this is a plus for me.

The key caps are absolutely lovely to touch, and the sound and feel is extremely reassuring. The feedback - the thud of the keys, the snappy but quiet rebound, and the seemingly perfect force curve puts the Realforce on another level. The surface of the keys feel soft and smooth. They're remarkably easy to remove with the included tool.

I already own a Filco Majestouch 2 (Cherry MX Blues), which I bring back and forth to work, and decided to take the plunge on Topre keyswitches. The price is pretty steep, but it's what I consider the best known keyboard in the world, and I may end up toting it to work and back until I get a second.
It looks really nice, I really like the black on black legends! I'd love to try topres, but I doubt I'll buy one unless the price gets halved or I get a better job. The space bar looks to be a different shade of black, is that due to it being ABS plastic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Rexxed posted:

It looks really nice, I really like the black on black legends! I'd love to try topres, but I doubt I'll buy one unless the price gets halved or I get a better job. The space bar looks to be a different shade of black, is that due to it being ABS plastic?

The 103ub is $100 less than the 87ub at EliteKeyboards. Everywhere else in the world, they are the same price (that is, about $250)

The space bar is ABS. All Topre spacebars are ABS, even from the different keysets you can buy.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

zyce posted:

The price is pretty steep, but it's what I consider the best known keyboard in the world, and I may end up toting it to work and back until I get a second.

What key weighting did you get?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
This thread needs more ALPS love. For typing it blows my cherry reds out of the loving water, I can't imagine anything better but am intrigued by this Topre talk. I have ALPS at work and am sad when I have to do extended typing on the reds at home. I mean, it's great for games which is more what I do at home now and obviously worlds better than a rubber dome, but still. Nothing beats a machine gun for typing. I wonder if I would like blues better.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Dogen posted:

This thread needs more ALPS love. For typing it blows my cherry reds out of the loving water, I can't imagine anything better but am intrigued by this Topre talk. I have ALPS at work and am sad when I have to do extended typing on the reds at home. I mean, it's great for games which is more what I do at home now and obviously worlds better than a rubber dome, but still. Nothing beats a machine gun for typing. I wonder if I would like blues better.

For typing, I'm actually a little disenchanted by Cherry Blues. The key feel is very nice, for sure. It's satisfying in the same way that popping packing bubbles are. The keys are just too heavy for my likes, though. 45g is the perfect key weight for stress-free, marathon typing - at least for me.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Kegwen posted:

The Logitech Illuminated is the closest thing they have and it should be under $100. As a former UltraX owner, I'm pretty happy with mine. I do wish they'd just kept making the UltraX, though.
I even got in contact with their support over this. They told me some bullshit about demand not being high enough for UltraX. Funny how it seems like there's tons of people using them then. Even my University has almost exclusively UltraX. Nothing as cheap and good as them made anymore ... :(

EDIT: The illuminated has a "tongue" at the bottom. Big no-no.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Perhaps it's best that I now keep my personal and professional lives completely separate.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

canada jezus posted:

My wasdkeyboard arrived!

Nice design! One question for a fellow WASD keyboard owner: Is the right side of your space bar noisier than the left? My WASD is pretty new and I noticed the noise on day one. I found the prongs by the actual metal bar to be loose and support told me it's normal :wtc:.

zyce posted:

That is one sexy keyboard, but the price.. :stonk:

Hate to do this but you don't have PMs. You didn't happen to play Everquest on Luclin ages ago, did you?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Nice design! One question for a fellow WASD keyboard owner: Is the right side of your space bar noisier than the left? My WASD is pretty new and I noticed the noise on day one. I found the prongs by the actual metal bar to be loose and support told me it's normal :wtc:.

Well i didn't notice anything like that, i just checked and if i had to guess i'd have to say the left side is a tad noisier, or maybe just a slightly different sound, not even sure if its louder.

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

glompix posted:

For typing, I'm actually a little disenchanted by Cherry Blues. The key feel is very nice, for sure. It's satisfying in the same way that popping packing bubbles are. The keys are just too heavy for my likes, though. 45g is the perfect key weight for stress-free, marathon typing - at least for me.

That was a step in the transition of key switches I made.

Buckling Spring : To heavy, but nice
Cherry Blues : A bit too heavy, but getting closer
Tactile Clicky ALPS clones from Ducky : Current Work
Cherry Reds : Current Home

I may have skipped some steps in there like trying Black ALPS and what not, but coming to accept my wimpy hands was worth the buying and selling. I find I can appreciate most mechanical switches in one way or another, but when a long session of typing comes up I know what feels good.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Gotta admit, that new corsair keyboards are pretty neat looking. Plus that wristpad and the rubber top wasd keys are a very nice touch.
Only if they offered it in blue or brown...

Thinking about getting zowie celeritas. Any thoughts? A friend recently got that new CM cherry blue keyboard for 65 and I was tempted but I need my tenkey for some reason...

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
Well, my black widow has apparently bit the dust. I spilled a couple drops of beer on it (literally just on 2 keys that i could see, nothing underneath the caps ). Worked fine for another hour after drying off the tops. Enter and backspace keys then suddenly stopped working (they weren't even the keys liquid fell on, it was home/scr lk).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tedronai66 posted:

Well, my black widow has apparently bit the dust. I spilled a couple drops of beer on it (literally just on 2 keys that i could see, nothing underneath the caps ). Worked fine for another hour after drying off the tops. Enter and backspace keys then suddenly stopped working (they weren't even the keys liquid fell on, it was home/scr lk).

It sounds like maybe more liquid got into the keyboard than you thought. Check out: http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?ti...rd+and+its+DEAD

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

Tedronai66 posted:

Well if you feel up to a bit of soldering to check if the switches themselves are the problem you could swap the non-working switches with working ones from the keyboard. If that solves the problem WASDkeyboards.com sells individual switches that could be used as replacements, which would be cheaper than getting a new board.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Grimey posted:

Well if you feel up to a bit of soldering to check if the switches themselves are the problem you could swap the non-working switches with working ones from the keyboard. If that solves the problem WASDkeyboards.com sells individual switches that could be used as replacements, which would be cheaper than getting a new board.

that's what im hoping. Looks easy enough to replace /shrug.

zyce
Apr 12, 2006
i'll stab you with a pocket knife while it's still in there
I decided on the 45g weight, uniform distribution keys. I like them a lot, but heavy fingers don't rest on them as easily as 55g.

The space bar does seem different than the other keys, and some people have some explanations above.

The keyboard is obviously priced too highly, and you should get the 103-key if possible because it actually costs less. It's better than a Cherry MX/ALPS/etc, but not by $100.

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Hate to do this but you don't have PMs. You didn't happen to play Everquest on Luclin ages ago, did you?

Dude, yes. That's 100% me :) Wonder who this is - I like to believe I remember every single name I ever came across in EQ. Man, I loved that game. (Edit: Added my AIM to profile temporarily, get in touch!)

zyce fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 21, 2012

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Ordered a pair of switches from wasd. Hopefully they're easier to remove than I'm thinking. I need to find my solder wick/sucker though.

brewmeister
Sep 23, 2008
I chose the username "brewmeister". That tells you all you need to know about me.
I am stuck between the G110, G510, K60, and K90. I really like mechanical keys but I think having a backlight is more important. I also dont like the idea of spending $150 on a keyboard but I also dont want to buy a POS. Go with the g110 and put the extra cash towards a second SSD?? Buy the k90 that has both mech keys and a backlight??

So, what to do...I am getting tired of tabbing between keyboards on newegg without making any progress.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My Apple Wired Keyboard stopped fully working recently, and I'm considering replacing it. I like it because it's fairly minimalistic and lightweight, but it's still standard and doesn't pull weird punches like media center keys or that weird ergonomic design some keyboards have. Are there any keyboards that are similar to it out there worth considering? Or should I simply go with this one again?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

brewmeister posted:

I am stuck between the G110, G510, K60, and K90. I really like mechanical keys but I think having a backlight is more important. I also dont like the idea of spending $150 on a keyboard but I also dont want to buy a POS. Go with the g110 and put the extra cash towards a second SSD?? Buy the k90 that has both mech keys and a backlight??

So, what to do...I am getting tired of tabbing between keyboards on newegg without making any progress.

There are mechanical keyboards with LEDs that aren't those brands, but most are imported from Asian countries, so you end up paying a little extra for shipping fees, and if something breaks you're probably going to have to fix it yourself. That said, if you want a backlit mechanical for less than $150, going that route may be your best choice.

This site is run by a vendor who posts on geekhack and distributes from China (the link is a cherry mx red board with led lighting, there are others on the site with different layouts/switches/led colors): http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/mechanical-keyboard-noppoo/new-noppoo-pro-mechanical-keyb/lid=23343570

PCHome from Taiwan also has $20 worldwide shipping and a fair selection of Ducky products including some backlit boards (usually the ducky shining): http://global.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item&func=exhibit&IT_NO=DCAH0X-A59860312&SR_NO=DCAH0X&ROWNO=49&tm=u

Here's a thread on ordering from PCHome: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?12854-PChome-%28Taiwan%29-20-Worldwide-Shipping-Promo. If you can't see the attachments which show what on the PCHome site does what, you may need to make a GH account.

e: looks like PCHome might be down to $10 shipping to the US

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pollyanna posted:

My Apple Wired Keyboard stopped fully working recently, and I'm considering replacing it. I like it because it's fairly minimalistic and lightweight, but it's still standard and doesn't pull weird punches like media center keys or that weird ergonomic design some keyboards have. Are there any keyboards that are similar to it out there worth considering? Or should I simply go with this one again?

It depends. How minimalistic do you want? Unless there's some specific reason you need an ultrathin keyboard, most people seem to think that a proper sized keyboard is superior for typing. For the $50 or so you'd spend on an Apple keyboard, you could buy a pretty good scissor-switch laptop-style keyboard (if you absolutely must have a flat form factor) with significantly better action than those flat apple keys, or else you're over halfway there to a cheap mechanical keyboard. I think the Razer blackwidow mac edition is like $62 right now on amazon, which uses Cherry MX blues. I don't know about the quality, but I've also seen Adesso Compact Mechanicals for $60, which also use Cherry blues and are 16" wide. Not exactly pretty, but they're not enormous or particularly ugly or anything. I guess if you really care about looks and don't really type enough to justify that over the Apple, you can shop around, but then it's completely down to your tastes.

There's also ultracompact mechanical keyboards out there. I have a friend who swears by his Happy Hacking Keyboard, but it's a bit out of the price range.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 24, 2012

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pollyanna posted:

If it suddenly stopped working I'd be a little wary of purchasing another one. It looks like that's a scissor switch board, so here's a few popular models listed on the GH wiki (including the apple aluminum): http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=All+About+Scissor+Switches&redirect=no#Some+Popular+Models

I've only used scissor switches on laptops, so I can't make any personal recommendations.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Anyone here have the Noppoo Choc Mini and care to toss out their opinion of it? I use the CM Storm with MX Blue switches at work, and I'm considering another mechanical for home as well.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

I used the wired apple aluminum at work and liked it before I replaced it with the Matias Tactilepro 3, which I would also highly recommend (although it is heavy).

Wendow
Sep 5, 2006

I am a window.
I spilled some water on my Das keyboard and the keys stopped working before I was able to shut down the computer. Does that mean it's already short circuited and I should just order another keyboard now? I'll try again tomorrow but based on that I'm thinking it's already dead.

Smells a bit like when my PSU died, but not sure if it's always been like that.

Wendow fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 25, 2012

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wendow posted:

I spilled some water on my Das keyboard and the keys stopped working before I was able to shut down the computer. Does that mean it's already short circuited and I should just order another keyboard now? I'll try again tomorrow but based on that I'm thinking it's already dead.

Smells a bit like when my PSU died, but not sure if it's always been like that.

It might be dead, but I'd wait a bit to find out for sure. If keys just weren't working it could be that there were just temporary shorts that will no longer be shorted once it's dried out. It's best to try to let it dry for a couple of days, then try it again. One day may not be long enough to evaporate all of the water down by the switches and in between the plate and PCB. Seal it in a bag with dessicant or dry rice.

This GH wiki about spills in keyboards may be worth a read as well:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?ti...rd+and+its+DEAD

Wendow
Sep 5, 2006

I am a window.

Rexxed posted:

It might be dead, but I'd wait a bit to find out for sure. If keys just weren't working it could be that there were just temporary shorts that will no longer be shorted once it's dried out. It's best to try to let it dry for a couple of days, then try it again. One day may not be long enough to evaporate all of the water down by the switches and in between the plate and PCB. Seal it in a bag with dessicant or dry rice.

This GH wiki about spills in keyboards may be worth a read as well:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?ti...rd+and+its+DEAD

I didn't know temporary shorts existed , what/how do they occur? I tried to google it but couldn't find anything. I realized it's also the weekend, so I'll wait until Monday night to decide. That link was really useful, a lot of stuff that's good to know for the future, thanks.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Wendow posted:

I didn't know temporary shorts existed , what/how do they occur?

When you spill water on your keyboard. Then the water dries, making the short circuit temporary...

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Jamuraan, J.D. in Critical Reasoning and Logic
Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!
Johnny 5 is alive!

Sorry, I love Short Circuit :X

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

krooj posted:

Anyone here have the Noppoo Choc Mini and care to toss out their opinion of it? I use the CM Storm with MX Blue switches at work, and I'm considering another mechanical for home as well.

I Like mine (MX Blues). They cheaped out on the controller but made up for it y building it like a tank and using a higher-quality plastic that feels a lot better than ABS. I'd buy another in Reds/browns if I ever need another mechanical

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

text editor posted:

I Like mine (MX Blues). They cheaped out on the controller but made up for it y building it like a tank and using a higher-quality plastic that feels a lot better than ABS. I'd buy another in Reds/browns if I ever need another mechanical

Ditto, but mx brown. I don't know anything about cheap controllers, but I love mine. It's the perfect gaming board for me. Coding feels great on it, too. The POM keys make it a little heavier of a feel than a Filco or Leopold, but that's what I want in a gaming board. POM rules.

Only quibble is pgdn/pgup should be home/end instead, but that's easily remappable with AHK.

glompix fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 25, 2012

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I'm trying the swap caps lock and left control thing. Since the right control key is the one that I actually have trouble with, I'm also swapping the right control key with the ' key. So, I have both control keys just outside each pinky. So far, I think this is going to work really well.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I currently have a Filco with MX Blues; how do they compare to Topres?
I'm happy with my keyboard but more keyboards can never hurt :v:

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 25, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Has anyone tried Cherry Clears? I've never seen one in person before, but I have used the Blue and Brown along with the old IBM buckling springs. Is the difference really noticeable?

Autolyze
Dec 19, 2005

They did not know that they were going to tune in on A.D. 13,582.

KaneTW posted:

They are very, very different, but I think the two of them are my favorites for serious typing. Topres are the most like MX red switches out of the Cherry ones, but their force curves are practically flipped. Reds give more resistance as they reach the bottom of the press, while Topres have most of their resistance at the top. They're really drat smooth though. Like typing on butter. Mmmm....

Cream_Filling posted:

Has anyone tried Cherry Clears? I've never seen one in person before, but I have used the Blue and Brown along with the old IBM buckling springs. Is the difference really noticeable?

I was a little underwhelmed when I first tried clears, since I was expecting them to feel more different from browns, but they're a pretty cool switch. While they're just a little more tactile than browns, the heavier spring makes a big difference when you're using them for a bit. They do a feel a little tiring after coming from lighter switches (or even buckling spring), but they're significantly easier to avoid bottoming out on. They feel more... bouncy and less clacky than browns.

Edit: This post brought to you by MX blues, 45g Topres, and MX clears. Happened to have them all hooked up to the same computer at the moment.

Autolyze fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 26, 2012

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

KaneTW posted:

I'm happy with my keyboard but more keyboards can never hurt :v:

They do not.
Topre is the best switch of all time.

Cream_Filling posted:

Think stiffer brown with a little more tactile feedback.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Well, cleaning my blackwidow, letting it dry, and testing it had it working.... For a few hours, then the keys stopped working again. Replaced the two switches, still nothing. I can still use this board as my htpc keyboard or something. Now I'm pondering getting another bw (stealth this time) once they stop being razer exclusive. Unless there's some other cherry brown board out there for around as much.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
This may have already been discussed in here, but this is a very long thread. So if I'm rehashing past discussion, I apologize.

Is there any truth to the rumors that Logitech is purposely designing their non-gaming keyboards so that w+shift+space don't work together? (The rumors say this is to get people to spend more and buy one of their gaming keyboards.)

My old Logitech S520 died, so I'm in the market for a new keyboard. I bought a Logitech K800 wireless on Amazon, but quickly noticed it and my MX Revolution mouse fighting each other's signal. With both on the keyboard responded slowly, with the mouse off it worked fine. This is apparently a known problem with that keyboard, affecting even the new MX Performance mouse, with no fix. So back to Amazon it went.

While on Amazon I looked at the Illuminated Ultrathin keyboard, which is the wired version of the K800, and it was there in the reviews I came across people saying that w+shift+space don't work together. Apparently it's not just that keyboard either, it's all of Logitech's mid-range keyboards.

Now, I realize how sometimes rumors just start without any truth to them so I thought I'd ask here. But if it is true, I couldn't possibly justify spending money on any Logitech product ever again. Which would suck because most of the time they make great stuff.

And if it does turn out to be true, could I get a recommendation for a good, non-Logitech, $50-$75 keyboard?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's not that they design them that way on purpose, it's that it's cheaper to build them that way really, as my understanding of key rollover goes. So it's not something that they're making it do on purpose to segment their gaming keyboards or whatever, but it does have that side effect, I suppose.

That said I used a logitech illuminated for about a year and didn't have much problem with it overall. You get used to not jump running in BF3 after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That 70s Shirt posted:

This may have already been discussed in here, but this is a very long thread. So if I'm rehashing past discussion, I apologize.

Is there any truth to the rumors that Logitech is purposely designing their non-gaming keyboards so that w+shift+space don't work together? (The rumors say this is to get people to spend more and buy one of their gaming keyboards.)

My old Logitech S520 died, so I'm in the market for a new keyboard. I bought a Logitech K800 wireless on Amazon, but quickly noticed it and my MX Revolution mouse fighting each other's signal. With both on the keyboard responded slowly, with the mouse off it worked fine. This is apparently a known problem with that keyboard, affecting even the new MX Performance mouse, with no fix. So back to Amazon it went.

While on Amazon I looked at the Illuminated Ultrathin keyboard, which is the wired version of the K800, and it was there in the reviews I came across people saying that w+shift+space don't work together. Apparently it's not just that keyboard either, it's all of Logitech's mid-range keyboards.

Now, I realize how sometimes rumors just start without any truth to them so I thought I'd ask here. But if it is true, I couldn't possibly justify spending money on any Logitech product ever again. Which would suck because most of the time they make great stuff.

And if it does turn out to be true, could I get a recommendation for a good, non-Logitech, $50-$75 keyboard?

A lot of the logitech gaming keyboards aren't even N-Key rollover, they just design the matrix to not block on keys that are frequently used. For example, from the Geekhack wiki n-key rollover database:

quote:

Logitech G11 : 2KRO. Fails QA -Downarrow. Logitech refuses to talk about failure modes.
Logitech Gaming Keyboard G110: 2KRO Fails ZXC, MKL. Source.
Logitech G15V1: 2KRO Fails Rshift-RightArrow-UpArrow, Rctrl-DownArrow-LeftArrow Source
Logitech G15V2: 2KRO.
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard: 2KRO. Fails Lshift-W-Spacebar. No bunny jumping with this one! Source.

I'd buy one of the better gaming mechanicals that offer N-Key rollover like the CM Storm Quickfire: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-40GKCL1&c=FR&pid=3fc85ce174f6c7c913b483e4b4fdbf3c35ba7a2d78687e9a4c39249d0470b83b. It's sold at newegg, the cm online store, amazon, etc, but I happened to have the superbiiz site open because they often have $5 off codes, and I'm looking to buy one the next time I see a good coupon code.

• Locked thread