Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
This is more for a friend of mine who is heading to Manhattan this weekend. I don't know where he'll be staying, but I know he's doing something at Columbia and probably can get anywhere in the city.

What:
Restaurants, comedy clubs (he does stand-up), dive bars
Where:
Anywhere on Manhattan, maybe Bronx and Brooklyn included
How Much:
Cheap to not expensive. 30-50 max per person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Suggestion Request
Dinner
Dinner style:
Any
Willing to spend:
less than 500/person
Restrictions:
none

Per Se is booked up the night that I will be in town. I am on the wait list for any time between 7p and 10p.

However, if that doesn't come through, I'll need another suggestion. I'm probably staying that night at a hotel on Columbus Circle if that makes any difference.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

You are part of a long tradition
of needless self-sacrifice so that
dickbags can eat overpriced foie gras.
Anyone going to Village Voice: Choice Eats tonight? I'm working the event.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

reserve posted:

Anyone going to Village Voice: Choice Eats tonight? I'm working the event.

Y'know, I went a couple years ago and wasn't that impressed–it was administered very poorly; lots of people not getting food they wanted from the few places that were serving the best food. The variety was nice, though - just ravenous people pushing people aside to get what they wanted...

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Massive posted:

Y'know, I went a couple years ago and wasn't that impressed–it was administered very poorly; lots of people not getting food they wanted from the few places that were serving the best food. The variety was nice, though - just ravenous people pushing people aside to get what they wanted...

Yeah, that's a big issue with stuff like Choice Eats. This is my first time going, but I've heard that exact sentiment before. I went to the Eater awards and people were OUT OF THEIR MINDS, literally shoving each other and hounding the tables.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
So how did the choice eats thing go? Saw a writeup on serious eats that my eyes just kind of swam past.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yes I went to Choice Eats about 2 years ago. We got there a half hour late and about 10 of the best tables had already run out of food. Pretty much decided not to attend that event again after that.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

LTBS posted:

Suggestion Request
Dinner
Dinner style:
Any
Willing to spend:
less than 500/person
Restrictions:
none

Per Se is booked up the night that I will be in town. I am on the wait list for any time between 7p and 10p.

However, if that doesn't come through, I'll need another suggestion. I'm probably staying that night at a hotel on Columbus Circle if that makes any difference.
I've heard very good things about A Voce, which is at Columbus Circle anyway. :O

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

dino. posted:

I've heard very good things about A Voce, which is at Columbus Circle anyway. :O

Would Jean-Georges be worth it? I haven't heard anyone say anything about it, so I have no clue.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If he's in columbus circle he should just do marea.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Halalelujah posted:

So how did the choice eats thing go? Saw a writeup on serious eats that my eyes just kind of swam past.

I had a good time, and our food item was very well received. Things got crazy around 8pm when the place really fills up, but I had a solid cushion of alcohol in my system at that point. Some of my favorite things that I ate were the goat sandwich on Texas toast from Goat Town, and the Gentleman's Relish from Allswell. I also liked what No. 7 Sub was offering, and the little sandwich from Mile End. It was good to see Matt from SCRATCHbread and the Robicelli's, too. Their whoopie pie is to die for.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I love whoopie pies. They're like a white trash macaron.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Two unrelated questions:

First, where do you guys think the best cheap Middle Eastern food is in the city?

I've been to the carts on 56th and was really disappointed -- the meat and sauces were super bland. I went to Mamoun's a couple days ago and really liked it, but I feel like there has to be some place that's better. I'm a bit spoiled having lived in Evanston and eaten regularly at Pita Inn for a couple years. Chicago goons will understand. I'm willing to go anywhere.

Second, has anyone been to Vandaag? I read the NYT review a while ago, and I've been eager to go ever since. It seems totally different from anything else in the city. Any recommendations from the menu?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

CornflakeS.Pecially posted:

Two unrelated questions:

First, where do you guys think the best cheap Middle Eastern food is in the city?

I've been to the carts on 56th and was really disappointed -- the meat and sauces were super bland. I went to Mamoun's a couple days ago and really liked it, but I feel like there has to be some place that's better. I'm a bit spoiled having lived in Evanston and eaten regularly at Pita Inn for a couple years. Chicago goons will understand. I'm willing to go anywhere.
Mamoun's is overrated. Go to Ali Baba's across the street. Way better flavour.

Years ago, when Puppy and I got married, we stayed in a hostel on the upper west side, and were in walking distance of a charming little Turkish restaurant called Turkuaz.

http://www.turkuazrestaurant.com/

When I called to make reservations, the lady on the phone was super nice. It was our last night in the city, and we wanted to make it special, and splurge on a nice dinner out. When we arrived at the restaurant, the hostess/proprietess took one look at us and said, "Would you like our regular seating, or our Traditional seating?" You could hear the capital letter.

"What's traditional seating?"

"They're low benches with lots of pillows to recline on, and much more intimate."

"Then that's what we'll do!"

Indeed it was more intimate. She sat us in a cosy little corner bench, with fluffy cushions all over, so that we could lean back on the wall, and against each other, while eating. The food was amazing, and the service was attentive and friendly.

It was my birthday, but I don't like sweets, so Steve asked if I could have a birthday cosmo instead, which the proprietess happily obliged.

The place is a little more pricey than Ali Baba's on MacDougall St (and West 3rd), but well worth the money.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

CornflakeS.Pecially posted:

Two unrelated questions:

Second, has anyone been to Vandaag? I read the NYT review a while ago, and I've been eager to go ever since. It seems totally different from anything else in the city. Any recommendations from the menu?

Taim and Taim mobile are amazing. The hummus and falafel are freaking to die for.
http://www.taimfalafel.com/
http://www.taimmobile.com/

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2010/06/the-best-falafel-in-new-york-city-manhattan-queens-brooklyn-taim-azuri-king-of-falafel.html

I was underwhelmed with Vandaag - everything was just really one note and there was nothing memorable or worth coming back for. A former Chef from Noma recently took over the kitchen at Acme, and he's causing quite the stir amongst the dining public.

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2012/01/acme-photos.html

An Alright Guy
Nov 11, 2007

The playoffs work the same way

LTBS posted:

Would Jean-Georges be worth it? I haven't heard anyone say anything about it, so I have no clue.

Go to Dovetail and do the full tasting menu and get a sick bottle of wine - Jean Georges has been hit and miss both times I've gone-

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

An Alright Guy posted:

Go to Dovetail and do the full tasting menu and get a sick bottle of wine - Jean Georges has been hit and miss both times I've gone-

I've been disappointed both times I went as well.

avan
Apr 26, 2010
Has anyone been to bianca? We went last week and it was amazing! Its on bleecker st.
we had lasagna and some whitefish filet special. Both were incredible.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

An Alright Guy posted:

drat, their tasting menu looks incredible too. I've got a reservation there as a backup to Per Se.

Do any of these places do beer pairings?

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness
As vapid and horrible as this girl sounds, I can kind of see where she's coming from:
http://nymag.com/print/?/restaurants/features/foodies-2012-4/

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Just got a reservation at Dovetail. They are going to see if they can do beer pairings, if not no biggie.

I just found out yesterday that I might be there a second night. Any other place that I should try? Le Bernadin? WD-50? Eleven Madison Park?

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

LTBS posted:

Just got a reservation at Dovetail. They are going to see if they can do beer pairings, if not no biggie.

I just found out yesterday that I might be there a second night. Any other place that I should try? Le Bernadin? WD-50? Eleven Madison Park?

Torrisi, Momofuku Ko and EMP in that order of priority.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

sink the biz posted:

Torrisi, Momofuku Ko and EMP in that order of priority.

Man, in my income bracket I'm more likely to get a blowjob from a unicorn.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

sink the biz posted:

As vapid and horrible as this girl sounds, I can kind of see where she's coming from:
http://nymag.com/print/?/restaurants/features/foodies-2012-4/

I'd do her. In fact, my roommate should do her. They deserve each other. Me, I'm gonna cook dinner because I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

a drink or two
Oct 21, 2008
Tell me about Mexican food in NYC! I live in London and we have burritos and stuff and increasingly other Mexican stuff too but I haven't eaten anything regional/much beyond tacos. I'll be in NYC the next two weeks, where can I eat good/authentic/interesting Mexican food? Finding a lot of tacos and trucks and taquerias but is there anything more?

Also interested in other Latin/South American food!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

a drink or two posted:

Tell me about Mexican food in NYC! I live in London and we have burritos and stuff and increasingly other Mexican stuff too but I haven't eaten anything regional/much beyond tacos. I'll be in NYC the next two weeks, where can I eat good/authentic/interesting Mexican food? Finding a lot of tacos and trucks and taquerias but is there anything more?

Unfortunately, Mexican food is one of the only cuisines that is poorly represented in NYC IMO. I've heard that there is good stuff but the places I've been were nothing special.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

a drink or two posted:

certainly not authentic, but I found Empellon to be pretty decent.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/dining/reviews/empellon-nyc-restaurant-review.html?pagewanted=all

La Esquina and Barrio Chino are also decent for more 'scene-y' Mexican. I had a couple of great meals at Centrico a while back, though I haven't been in a few years so I can't say how they're doing recently.

Serious Eats New York just started a series on Mexican Eats, but it's geared more towards taquerias and sandwiches are mostly in the outer boroughs:
http://newyork.seriouseats.com/tags/Mexican%20Eats

The Cheat
Mar 24, 2012

Nearly everyone I know feels negatively about the representation of Mexican food here. I actually find most New York TexMex to be fine, but one place that even SoCal transplants agree with is Dos Toros http://dostoros.com/.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

The Cheat posted:

Nearly everyone I know feels negatively about the representation of Mexican food here. I actually find most New York TexMex to be fine, but one place that even SoCal transplants agree with is Dos Toros http://dostoros.com/.

As someone who grew up in SoCal I can say that Dos Toros is the closest I've gotten to the real deal.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Ate dos toros for dinner. Whit is for real. I know a few dope Mexican joints in the boroughs; my ex is Mexican. Happy to sure when I'm behind a keyboard again.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

a drink or two posted:

Great Mexican:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/zaragoza-new-york
http://www.yelp.com/biz/guelaguetza-new-york
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tortilleria-mexicana-los-hermanos-brooklyn

Great Venezuelan, must go:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/caracas-arepa-bar-new-york

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Went to Dos Toros today, had the carne asada and carnitas tacos and wow, wow, wow, totally the real deal. Turns the traditional taco logic on its head by looking like a successful chain restaurant like Chipotle but delivering better than the hole-in-the-walls like Tehuitzingo. Am going back tomorrow.

Koppite
Apr 10, 2007

The Land of Pleasant Living
Lived here for a while and always loved going to Chinatown, but usually just get drunk at Lolita and pop into the first place I see. Anyone have any rec's for that area? I've done Pho Mott and Pho Bang, which are both pretty good and had a lovely meal at Dimn Sum A Go-Go. Other than that I don't remember most of the names.

The Cheat
Mar 24, 2012

So much good food in Chinatown. Seems like you're into pho, so I'd recommend Nha Trang (87 Baxter) and New Tu Do (100 Bowery). The cumin lamb at Xi'an is pretty awesome (67 Bayard or 88 E Broadway). Dragon Land (125 Walker) has good baked goods, and I like Kung Fu (234 Canal) for bubble tea.

Sam I Am
Aug 6, 2004

You're a lucky, lucky boy 'cause you know why? You get to drink from, the fire hose!

a drink or two posted:

I would definitely go check out some good Cuban food. I've enjoyed meals at Favela Cubana. I would also check out Caracas Arepa Bar. Any Mexican/Latin american food you get in NY is going to be above and beyond anything that you will find in London.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Sam I Am posted:

I would definitely go check out some good Cuban food. I've enjoyed meals at Favela Cubana. I would also check out Caracas Arepa Bar. Any Mexican/Latin american food you get in NY is going to be above and beyond anything that you will find in London.

I thoroughly enjoyed Cuba when I went about a month ago. Great cocktails and the food was super tasty.

dream owl
Jul 19, 2010

a drink or two posted:

If you're serious, your only choice is Brooklyn. For starters:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/chavelas-brooklyn-2
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tortilleria-mexicana-los-hermanos-brooklyn

I lived in Norwich/London for a couple years and thought the "Mexican" food in London was hilarious. Be sure to post a trip report.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Doing a crosspost, but does anyone have any great chinese or korean recs for Flushing? Heading up there today, want to come back fat.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Halalelujah posted:

want to come back fat.

Picnic Garden for Korean BBQ buffet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

Psychobabble posted:

Picnic Garden for Korean BBQ buffet.