Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
All of the pout stances are really awful, yeah. Thankfully you never see the lower halves of any characters in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

KataraniSword posted:

I did the same thing with the Purple Mirror and Metatron.

It's beautiful, especially when you can slap Anti-Almighty, Phys Repel, and Samarecarm on whatever human is leading that unit. It's all but invincible. :allears:

Purple Mirror needs only two passives to max out its reflection list. Give it Hero Soul.

Thus, you no longer need to give your team leader anything but Anti-Almighty, because Hero Soul will cover it.

---

As for Titania with bad skills... use a Release Command addon after either a mitama fusion or a rank down/rank up combination.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

KataraniSword posted:

I did the same thing with the Purple Mirror and Metatron.

It's beautiful, especially when you can slap Anti-Almighty, Phys Repel, and Samarecarm on whatever human is leading that unit. It's all but invincible. :allears:

Oh drat, there's an anti-almighty ability? That's gonna be fun.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

Purple Mirror needs only two passives to max out its reflection list. Give it Hero Soul.

Thus, you no longer need to give your team leader anything but Anti-Almighty, because Hero Soul will cover it.

---

As for Titania with bad skills... use a Release Command addon after either a mitama fusion or a rank down/rank up combination.

I'll have to check out that Hero soul combo, that is a pretty killer idea. Is Hero Soul in the "support" add-on?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Anti-Almighty is frankly not worth it on almost anyone.

No one in the game can nullify everything else at once without only having one passive slot left. The contenders to do that are Metatron, Purple Mirror, and Titania. I'm not aware of anyone else who gets to do it.

Among them, Metatron is easily best-in-class for ease-of-use, sheer attack power, and good vitality on top of it. However, he comes preloaded with Victory Cry. Are you really going to trade Victory Cry for Anti-Almighty?

When you have great options like Pierce, Victory Cry, and Hero Soul competing for that slot, Anti-Almighty just falls flat on its face.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 17, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Neeksy posted:

Oh drat, there's an anti-almighty ability? That's gonna be fun.

You can crack it from the final boss and a few of the bonus bosses, but nowhere else. Does exactly what it says - halves incoming Almighty damage.

Tallgeese is right, though; it's practically never worth it, and the few times it is, you've also got Victory Cry and Pierce wanting attention, as well as Hero Soul on demons.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 17, 2012

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
OK, I'm on the pillar battle thing on Day 6. Which team would be best?

Also on a side note, I'm trying to learn "Elegy" on piano. It's a really nice song and probably my favorite in all of DS2.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Neeksy posted:

I'll have to check out that Hero soul combo, that is a pretty killer idea. Is Hero Soul in the "support" add-on?

Unfortunately, humans cannot learn Hero Soul, so it won't appear on any add-on. It's a skill that causes the demon to cover the leader if their resistance is better than said leader's for any incoming attack. If your demon nulls everything...

Cerberus and Jeanne D'Arc have it naturally. Jeanne is an early example of Hero Soul's potential use, since she gets Anti-Most very easily from her specific component demons.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hero Soul is countered by not doing a thing against AoEs unfortunately. This counts for stuff like Deathbound etc.

It's an all right combination but it's not game breaking or anything.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I could have sworn it works on Deathbound, since that's not an all-hitter... I'll have to check sometime.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The last boss was really easy in comparison to Yamato's battle. The only other ending I'd be interested in pursuing would be the best Daichi ending that requires fate 4 with every character which would require me to actually spend time with Keita and seriously gently caress that guy.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Tallgeese posted:

I could have sworn it works on Deathbound, since that's not an all-hitter... I'll have to check sometime.

If it is a random multi-hit attack I think it only covers the first hit

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Some stuff about P4G from someone who played the demo version, spoilers about Mari.

Most important detail: You can skip scenes and conversations using the start button and it is much faster than pressing the Triangle button to fast-forward the scenes and conversations.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MotU posted:

If it is a random multi-hit attack I think it only covers the first hit

I know Leader Soul covers all non-fatal hits; Io basically got herself almost killed in the Dubhe fight by soaking up both hits of a Binary Fire for a Kobold in my latest playthrough; it's entirely possible that Hero Soul works the same way.

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake

Blind Sally posted:

Just have to jump in here and say, I agree. Keita is a horrible piece of garbage. For anyone picking up the game, just let him die. He's not worth any effort to keep him around, and is a frustrating little poo poo.

I...actually liked Keita. *shrug* He was so over-exaggerated that he was hilarious. He's the standard "grrr snarl I'm a dick who needs no friends I...I am lying to you please don't abandon me" type. My best friend is like this though so maybe that's why he didn't bother me.

Cityinthesea posted:

I cried when he ran away from Jungocat :(

So did I. :smith: That entire side-story was well done for being a JRPG. I knew bad poo poo was going down as soon as Jungo found the injured cat.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Docahedron posted:

I...actually liked Keita. *shrug* He was so over-exaggerated that he was hilarious. He's the standard "grrr snarl I'm a dick who needs no friends I...I am lying to you please don't abandon me" type. My best friend is like this though so maybe that's why he didn't bother me.

So did I. :smith: That entire side-story was well done for being a JRPG. I knew bad poo poo was going down as soon as Jungo found the injured cat.

I liked Keita as well. I also like that he did not find redemption . Joe and Jungo are currently my favorite characters in the Megami Tensei series. Jungo rules.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pierce posted:

I liked Keita as well. I also like that he did not find redemption . Joe and Jungo are currently my favorite characters in the Megami Tensei series. Jungo rules.

Keita may annoy the hell out of me, but he felt realistic to me, which is more than I could say about half of the other characters (The trifecta of Yamato/Ronaldo/Saiduq, Joe, Airi, to some extent Fumi, Hinako's outfit), or Yuzu and Midori in the first game.

Sometimes, people are just dickwads. They might have some Freudian excuse, but it really doesn't matter, because no matter what, they're not gonna stop being dicks.

(I think what really annoys me most about Keita is it seems like you only get most of his character development if Jungo dies - otherwise, the entire Fate branch is watching the two of them argue with each other, unless I missed the backstory path on my most recent playthrough.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 18, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Keita may annoy the hell out of me, but he felt realistic to me, which is more than I could say about half of the other characters (The trifecta of Yamato/Ronaldo/Saiduq, Joe, Airi, to some extent Fumi, Hinako's outfit), or Yuzu and Midori in the first game.

Well, I don't think Saiduq is supposed to be realistic... He just plays the same role that Lucifer plays in the other SMT games (or Loki in DS1 I guess)

and I thought Joe was pretty realistic myself, just a gigantic flake who tries to be funny all the time. I agree with you about Yamato, Airi, Ronaldo though.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Cityinthesea posted:

I agree with you about Yamato, Airi, Ronaldo though.

Agreed, basically everyone but Keita, Joe, and Jungo irked me. Hinako had potential but the character art made her awkward. Airi also had potential I liked her dad's side story . But the pedo poo poo really messed her up.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, I suppose as a character, Joe is rather convincing... though he kind of fills that same spot as Midori in my head of "why the hell haven't you died yet?" I recognize that the game needs some plucky comedy relief (I... guess) and that he's basically just Yosuke from a slightly less emo angle, but he kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Besides, the game can do comic relief without a jokey, happy-go-lucky character. Just look at Fumi's "discussion" with Trumpeter.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Docahedron posted:

I wouldn't say it was bad poo poo, I mean it ended well.

I don't live in the best neighborhood and I've had cats I sent off to new homes or took them to no kill shelters simply because I didn't want them to get hurt, the last 2 I loved dearly and where so friendly but I couldn't afford them. We had also had a rash cat deaths under odd circumstances and some that where downright cruel and malicious and I refused to let those 2 die that way. Ultimately Jungo simply wanted his cat to be safe and he knew the more it hung around him, the bigger the odds of him getting hurt.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I'm not arguing he's necessarily relevant to the plot or anything (though you could also use that argument to kill off Jungo, Airi, Hinako, Otome) just that he was more realistic than Yamato/Ronaldo.

and I don't think he was necessarily a less emo Yosuke, I thought Daichi filled that role... Joe reminded me more of a mix between the teacher in persona 3 that ran SEES and Gin.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Cityinthesea posted:

Well, I don't think Saiduq is supposed to be realistic... He just plays the same role that Lucifer plays in the other SMT games (or Loki in DS1 I guess)

Does Saiduq ever get an explanation or am I just supposed to assume that STEVEN and Louisa finally got their freak on?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TurnipFritter posted:

Does Saiduq ever get an explanation or am I just supposed to assume that STEVEN and Louisa finally got their freak on?

He does at the very end of the game (I think the pentultimate battle on any path - he reveals it on paths other than his, and Yamato reveals it on his path); your explanation is just as sound, though.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

KataraniSword posted:

Sometimes, people are just dickwads. They might have some Freudian excuse, but it really doesn't matter, because no matter what, they're not gonna stop being dicks.

(I think what really annoys me most about Keita is it seems like you only get most of his character development if Jungo dies - otherwise, the entire Fate branch is watching the two of them argue with each other, unless I missed the backstory path on my most recent playthrough.)

Joe feels really realistic to me- he's a guy who jokes around a ton and part of it is to cover his insecurities. I know people like that. Joe also rules sooooo that helps.

Also I thought Yuzu is incredibly realistic- it's just clear she couldn't take the whole thing and some people are like that :shobon:. I think the game failed in making her remotely likable but she's definitely someone I could imagine in a situation like that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dragongem posted:

Joe feels really realistic to me- he's a guy who jokes around a ton and part of it is to cover his insecurities. I know people like that. Joe also rules sooooo that helps.

Also I thought Yuzu is incredibly realistic- it's just clear she couldn't take the whole thing and some people are like that :shobon:. I think the game failed in making her remotely likable but she's definitely someone I could imagine in a situation like that.

Yeah, somewhere in writing that post I muddled the difference between "unrealistic" and "unlikable". Quite a few characters are both (Yamato, Airi, Midori) but Joe and Yuzu are both realistic and mildly annoying (in Joe's case) or infuckingtolerable (in Yuzu's).

I dunno, I think Daichi did what Yuzu did but a little better; he's still freaking out constantly, but he never goes into the 'denial' phase so far that he ends up dooming the world.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Otome was a pretty pleasant character, I think. I ended up enjoying her side of things a lot because her issues weren't so heavy.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Neeksy posted:

Otome was a pretty pleasant character, I think. I ended up enjoying her side of things a lot because her issues weren't so heavy.

Otome was nice. At first I had my doubts about her, but in the end, she was a kind mother with a heart of gold.

It was really weird when you realize that she was 19 when she had Ko-whatever...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dogbutt posted:

It was really weird when you realize that she was 19 when she had Ko-whatever...

She adopted Kohaku(? Is that the right name?) when the kid's parents died, she tells you as much when that plot starts off.

She's still really young for being a fully-knowledgable doctor, but the kid isn't part of that.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

KataraniSword posted:

She adopted Kohaku(? Is that the right name?) when the kid's parents died, she tells you as much when that plot starts off.

She's still really young for being a fully-knowledgable doctor, but the kid isn't part of that.

Oh you're right. I completely forgot. Boy do I feel stupid.

Also just got to the Mizar fight at the end of Day 6. I have everyone except Airi, Daichi, Yamato, Ronaldo, and Anguished One at Rank 4? Will I get the good Daichi ending?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Neeksy posted:

Otome's events seemed out of place, given the circumstance It's sort of the problem I'm having with the game's story: Most of the characters don't seem all that concerned with the widespread destruction, lawlessness and roving hordes of demons. Otome's storyline feels like it exists in a bubble where everything is completely normal: She's a busy doctor who spends so much time at work doesn't have time for her daughter. Her young daughter apparently stays home alone while Otome is at work, despite the rioters and demons. She's also able to travel, by herself, through the ruined city, past the looters and demons, to the JP's base and back home. Otome is concerned about her daughter, but it doesn't feel like the type of parental concern you would expect during a major catastrophe.

But yeah, she is a pleasant character, and if her story had been a SLink in P3/P4, I wouldn't have blinked. But in DS2's setting, it just feels tone deaf.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 18, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dogbutt posted:

Also just got to the Mizar fight at the end of Day 6. I have everyone except Airi, Daichi, Yamato, Ronaldo, and Anguished One at Rank 4? Will I get the good Daichi ending?

I'm pretty sure Airi, Yamato, and Ronaldo need to be at Rank 4, too. I think it's basically "everybody who's not on Daichi's side" for that path, save for the Anguished One. You need to get everybody to rejoin you, mainly.

TurnipFritter posted:

But yeah, she is a pleasant character, and if her story had been a SLink in P3/P4, I wouldn't have blinked. But in DS2's setting, it just feels tone deaf.

Yeah, I think that's what bugs me about DS2's writing - it can't decide if it wants to be a game like Devil Survivor, or a game like Persona 4, and it keeps flip-flopping, which ruins the tone in EITHER direction.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

KataraniSword posted:

houghI dunno, I think Daichi did what Yuzu did but a little better; he's still freaking out constantly, but he never goes into the 'denial' phase so far that he ends up dooming the world.

I think that's a bit unfair to Yuzu, though. She only ends up dooming the world if you decide to enable her to. Otherwise, she stands by you until the end, or find the courage to tell you to piss off in a certain case. I found her to be more relatable to than, say, Kaido, Keisuke or Atsuro

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

If I was going to being playing Devil Survivor one soon, without any knowledge of the game or series, what would be some critical lessons to know that might not be spelled out?

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Hey look guys, it's Nocturne's Battle Music: The Band! Song starts at 0:31.

edit to ^ since I'm here: Almighty damage can't be blocked, making Holy Dance and Drain two of the best skills in the game. Racial movement skills matter more in most fights than having the best most broken demons, so if you're struggling with a fight try a different strategy. Try to crack every skill in a zone before moving on with the story, because this gives you more options when your magnetite fills and you can copy a skill to a demon; you can use Free Battles to do this.

vanov fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 19, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Jon Irenicus posted:

If I was going to being playing Devil Survivor one soon, without any knowledge of the game or series, what would be some critical lessons to know that might not be spelled out?

Devil Speed is your best goddamn friend. It isn't as gamebreaking as some various combos, but in your first playthrough, it makes the numerous escort-style missions fantastically more managable.

Also, fuse and auction as much as you can. It's a MegaTen standard that demons have an exponential EXP curve, but even aside from that, DS1 has some mechanics in play that say that a L99 Pixie will always be weaker than a L99 Metatron. You'll want to have the highest possible base-level monsters at pretty much all times, as your damage output will drop off quickly afterwards. In other words, don't get too attached to a single demon, unless you're using it more for skills than combat utility (You'll be forced to stick with that near-useless Waira through a good chunk of the plot before Mothmen become available if you want to hang on to Devil Speed, as an example.)

Also, what vanov said applies fully. Almighty damage has no resistances, and only the last boss takes any less damage from it, so once you get Holy Dance, Drain, and (to a lesser extent) the Megidos, abuse the hell out of them.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Drain in particular allows you to render most bosses that don't rely on Physical attacks completely impotent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jon Irenicus posted:

If you see a Team Skill (the special skills you can equip on a human character in the passive boost slot usually taken up by a racial skill), make sure to crack it over anything else. Many appear only rarely or sometimes only once.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jon Irenicus posted:

Save before every battle. On several occasions I have had the escort mission character killed by confronting an enemy and losing in the same turn they appeared (on occasion some will show up halfway through story battles.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If you're getting frustrated, make sure you abuse the suspend save feature. It's not as exploitable in DS2 (enemies seem to always repeat the same action, must be an anti cheese thing) but in DS1 you can game the gently caress out of it.