Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

quote:

DAVE: oh no
DAVE: what the hot mess of fresh gently caress am i looking at

That, forever.

I don't think you guys are actually grasping the full implications of Karkat's over-explanation with this.

See, it's more than just taking turns going red with Terezi. This is troll-love country, and they spend as much time swapping places as much as quadrants.

Karkat won't let the 'triangular' aspect go. We know he wants to swap red with Terezi and take turns with Dave, while going black the rest of the time, but what about between him and Dave during both situations? He may not care, but I think he worries that if he and Dave go black, then by virtue of the vacillation in this triangle, they'd also have to go red at some point.

I think Dave already sees that coming and wants nothing to do with it. Troll'mance is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I really, really want Karkat to just amble up to Terezi and be like, great news strider and me worked out a timeshare RE: you. Because it's been at least thousands of pages since we last saw a Scourge Sister crippling someone.

Flora
Mar 20, 2007
I love Nam Taf!
Didn't Hussie originally say in a formspring answer or something that troll romance wasn't actually that complex and was basically normal human relationships made to poke fun at shippers and the like?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Karkat's tortured explanation of the implications of this novel was amusing enough, made better so by Dave's complete coolkid stonewalling of it all, but these pages? All totally completed by Rose's expression in that final page, as she pounces on that book like a hungry wolf upon a slow and sickly elk.

The girl appreciates some trashy, likely-horribly-overwritten romance novels, I guess.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Seoinin posted:

I really, really want Karkat to just amble up to Terezi and be like, great news strider and me worked out a timeshare RE: you. Because it's been at least thousands of pages since we last saw a Scourge Sister crippling someone.

I hadn't even considered this aspect, but it seems like this is the sort of thing that might drive her right into Dave's arms. If you had to choose between 'hey let's hang out and do fun stuff together' and 'here look at this diagram I drew of our relationship, to understand it you need to read this lovely romance novel and watch these Dane cook movies but i think you'll find it comprehensive' then the choice is pretty clear.

I don't usually laugh out loud at homestuck. I find it funny but it's more subtle humour that I observe as well written and competent without necessarily invoking a reaction. That book cover though, holy poo poo... I can't stop...

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Flora posted:

Didn't Hussie originally say in a formspring answer or something that troll romance wasn't actually that complex and was basically normal human relationships made to poke fun at shippers and the like?
I dunno about Formspring but even in the comic itself he's pretty heavy handed about pointing out that troll romance isn't all that different to human romance. The main difference being that they're a lot more structured and academic about it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Flora posted:

Yup, we just don't have fancy words for it.

When you're :h: for someone it's like regular human love, :d: is being bEsT mOtHeRfUcKiN bRoS, :s: is like, that guy's a dick, gently caress that guy and and :c: is trying to stop people from becoming :s: so they don't cheat on their ~:s::s::s: one true nemesis :s::s::s:~

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

ShardPhoenix posted:

Well, I think the combination of mind-raping one person into killing someone they like, followed up by a long-running campaign of psychological torture and physical and sexual assault against someone completely innocent and harmless counts as a bit more than "being in the wrong". At the same time though I can't help but feel sorry for her and even like her a bit. drat you Hussie :argh:.

Vriska is an interesting character, which is different from being a nice person, and she got a lot of good character development and insights into what made her so messed up. I like Vriska.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gonna speculate now that Rose is going to get really into Troll Romance (in partial parody of fans who also do this) and when we next check in at year two she'll be waxing flushed or getting pale or harbouring caliginousness or all that stuff. Dave will be sick to death of hearing about it while Rose will be asking him if her Matespritship with Kanaya will survive the blossoming kissmitude between Kanaya and Gamzee, or whether she should auspicitize them. Which Dave will not give a poo poo about at all.

Then we check in at year three and she's dropped the whole thing as completely insane. Cue Dave making snide remarks about her troll-romance experimentation that whistle over the heads of John and Jade for the rest of the comic.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Slime posted:

When you're :h: for someone it's like regular human love, :d: is being bEsT mOtHeRfUcKiN bRoS, :s: is like, that guy's a dick, gently caress that guy and and :c: is trying to stop people from becoming :s: so they don't cheat on their ~:s::s::s: one true nemesis :s::s::s:~

Yes, but in human relationships, they generally don't mean "gently caress that guy" quite so literally.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

But they need to have one of every type of relationship, or the Imperial Drone will have their heads. Not exactly like human love.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

Vriska is an interesting character, which is different from being a nice person, and she got a lot of good character development and insights into what made her so messed up. I like Vriska.
I'm still holding out for Terezi to get a similar introspective moment because doggone it we need some character development parity here. Interesting thing to note, though, is that she ditched the Redglare costume. HMMMMM.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't count the mass murder against her, it was either feed those other trolls to her lusus or get eaten herself. Hard to hold someone accountable for their actions when they effectively have a gun to their head. As for the other stuff, she was in the wrong there, but there are strong mitigating factors such as Troll societal and moral structures and the aforementioned hosed-up(even by troll standards) childhood. It's a miracle she wasn't a complete monster after all the hosed-up social conditioning she went through, IMO.

As well, don't forget that she actually had a direct guide from her successful, genetically identical duplicate that she tried to follow to the letter.

Dick Bitchwhistle
Oct 28, 2007

by Lowtax

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

But they need to have one of every type of relationship, or the Imperial Drone will have their heads. Not exactly like human love.

They just need to have genetic material ready to go. I don't think it necessarilly means they need every quadrant filled.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Slime posted:

:s: is like a good old fashioned hatefuck

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm still of the opinion that Hussie at least spent a few minutes going "Oh gently caress I forgot :c: was a suit, poo poo, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" because that one seemed the most slapped on (even though it still sort of made sense).

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Kate Beaton explains :s: blackrom as experienced by humans.

http://harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=327

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mystic Mongol posted:

Someone edited that a while back to be about Dualscar and Mindfang, and it doesn't miss a beat.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Color Printer posted:

I'm still of the opinion that Hussie at least spent a few minutes going "Oh gently caress I forgot :c: was a suit, poo poo, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" because that one seemed the most slapped on (even though it still sort of made sense).

Back on his old Formspring he mentioned that this was more or less how it went, except maybe with a little less panicking. Fans were already speculating on the general shape of :c: relationships before they were explained in the comic, and he ended up saying "sure why not" and running with some of the fan theories to some extent.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Mystic Mongol posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxkSorMEDRc

edit:

JT Jag posted:

Someone edited that a while back to be about Dualscar and Mindfang, and it doesn't miss a beat.
gently caress

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

JT Jag posted:

As I recall, Beaton got a bit upset about that one, because the edit removed her name/website, and then got passed around tumblr a lot. :(

edit: The originals don't have her name/website on them, so it was probably an accident, but still, people need to remember to credit her, like we're doing here.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

JT Jag posted:

It isn't hard to figure out the concept, the issue is that the concept kinda quickly leads to... potential gay stuff. Which isn't even a thing for trolls, but I think Dave might be even less of a homosexual than John.

But his Bro? So ironically gay that he's actually gay.

It's just how someone who wears a shirt with a hat on it would roll.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

But it feels like that's what human love is when you are thirteen years old (or at least the kind of 13y.o. I was) and in that sense is a pretty perfect parallel

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Sometimes I feel like the quadrant thing is just a construct in troll society to "classify" troll relationships and really something like "love languages". Which is used so much in the romcoms that Karkat likes so much that he things its THE ONLY WAY TO DO THINGS.

gently caress. I'm thinking way too much about this. I should just wait for Karkat to explode in some hilarious fashion.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

piemanmoo posted:

They just need to have genetic material ready to go. I don't think it necessarilly means they need every quadrant filled.

Only two of the relationships are required for genetic pairings. That is matespritship and kismesissitude. Imagine a world where every human being needed both a lover and an arch-rival, or they'd die. Really, it's a wonder trolls aren't more hosed up.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Boogaleeboo posted:

Only two of the relationships are required for genetic pairings. That is matespritship and kismesissitude. Imagine a world where every human being needed both a lover and an arch-rival, or they'd die. Really, it's a wonder trolls aren't more hosed up.

I think trolls are more hosed up, probably to the level that Eridan was. The rest of the troll cast doesn't seem all that attached to troll society, or at least only to parts of it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Oh Karkat. I feel like you're channelling a million E/N posters.

Talk to Terezi you douche, not Dave.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Bobulus posted:

As I recall, Beaton got a bit upset about that one, because the edit removed her name/website, and then got passed around tumblr a lot. :(

edit: The originals don't have her name/website on them, so it was probably an accident, but still, people need to remember to credit her, like we're doing here.
I think that was something else. https://twitter.com/#!/beatonna/statuses/173474106740711425

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Oh Karkat. I feel like you're channelling a million E/N posters.

Talk to Terezi you douche, not Dave.

GET THERAPY

Also, you don't love her.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Better sever, Karkat.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You'd think Karkat would know how to make a clean sever, what with having the sicklekind specibus.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Oh gently caress, Karkat is drawing another shipping chart, I'm not sure I dare click the next pages that my head would explode from awesome, this sequence of updates is just plain magical.

e: It's more beautiful than I could have possibly imagined. This log... :allears:

Oh Dave...

Oh Karkat...

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 18, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

DAVE: this book is now like
DAVE: our fight fueled ouija board of cock

:allears:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Hussie, don't stop.

This is so great.

SARSfest
Oct 28, 2010

I like where this is going.
About time Dave went on the offensive.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This is some kind of glorious awkwardness judo. I am in tears.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ok this is seriously hilarious.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
I don't want this intermission to ever end. It's a thing of beauty.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
we are in this, we are entrenched in this poo poo

And it flips right back around from really loving awkward to hilarious as gently caress again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'd be totally okay with every strip until 4/13 being Dave and Karkat having at it.