Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid_Table
Jun 9, 2010
Kind of a long shot: does anyone know of a decent Audi/VW shop in mid-western MN (around St. Cloud)? My 2.8L A6 is misfiring like mad low-speed, sounds like it's eating marbles.

It's sitting on a trailer in my driveway now, ready to get hauled somewhere with my room mate's truck. Right now my options are

A) bring it to the VW dealership in St. Cloud and hope they can figure out what the gently caress.
B) bring it to a small shop in Atwater that my room mate's woman speaks highly of, who evidently can do it
C) tow it to Maplewood and get ready for a gaping butthole.

Right now I am learning towards to small small in Atwater since it's closer to me, and my room mate's wife knows the owner. Not sure if they'll be able to help though.

My issues first started last Tuesday when it snowed like crazy. I was driving to work in the snow which was up to the door-sills. The car started missing a bit when I pulled into work. Driving hope it was fine. Wednesday morning it did the same thing pulling into work. At that point I had no choice but to try and drive it home after work. Drove home that day and had no problems for the rest of the week.

Went to the store on Sunday, drove out to the highway. Got up to 45mph and when I slowed down for a light, the car started missing like crazy. Shaking, MIL blinking, etc. Turned around, drove home (3 blocks). Above 2000RPM it does not miss, anything below that and it's like its running on wrenches and bolts. Won't idle for poo poo and even getting it on the trailer was nerve-wracking.

Of course I just sent back the VAG-COM cable I borrowed. So I don't know what's causing the MIL. Just that it is missing a lot at low RPM.

So...how screwed am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I had something like that happen with my passat, wound up changing the spark plugs and the fuel filter and I haven't had any issues since. Yours sounds like it's a bit worse than my case was, but it still might be a place to start.

Liquid_Table
Jun 9, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

I had something like that happen with my passat, wound up changing the spark plugs and the fuel filter and I haven't had any issues since. Yours sounds like it's a bit worse than my case was, but it still might be a place to start.

Well on the one hand I am not too butthurt about having to bring it somewhere. besides needing this issue fixed it needs:
new front tires
alignment
trans fluid change

And now that I think about it the fuel filter is probably overdue for a change.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

Liquid_Table posted:

Shaking, MIL blinking, etc. Turned around, drove home (3 blocks). Above 2000RPM it does not miss, anything below that and it's like its running on wrenches and bolts.

Exactly what happened when my 2.0L had a crack in the coil. In damp weather it would do just that. Not sure what the coil situation is in the V6 though...

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

edit: nevermind, already found an answer.

keykey fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 9, 2012

san_dingo
May 31, 2004

I thought it was fast at the time.

COUGH 71hp COUGH
Well, I just returned from my first drive in the GTI with my dog, and it didn't go especially well. The seat protector worked well, but I really need a dog barrier to separate the front and back seats. Does anyone have any advice/experience? The dog is an 80 lb boxer/lab mix, and he's very determined to be in the driver's seat the instant my fat rear end is off of it.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

san_dingo posted:

Well, I just returned from my first drive in the GTI with my dog, and it didn't go especially well. The seat protector worked well, but I really need a dog barrier to separate the front and back seats. Does anyone have any advice/experience? The dog is an 80 lb boxer/lab mix, and he's very determined to be in the driver's seat the instant my fat rear end is off of it.

Back seats up or down?

The cargo cover can actually work as a barrier when you have your seats folded down. Use the two cargo hooks on the backs of the seats to hold the straight edge of the cargo cover and loop the strings (that attach the cover to the hatch and lift the cover when you open the hatch) around the front readrests so the thing doesn't flop over. Bam, instant free dog/cargo barrier. And you don't really need a seat cover then.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Anything to be wary of with TDI Sportwagens? I'll be looking for a new car soon, and I love the looks of them, I love VW interiors, and I love the idea of 40+mpg. There's a black/black, panoramic sunroof manual transmission 09 with 73k miles on it for $17k at a local Acura dealer (someone's trade-in, I guess). That price seems retard-high to me but I'm going to check it out on the weekend. Also I know the DSG gets rave reviews in the GTI, but how does that transmission work in the Sportwagen (I ask because I'm more likely to find a nice DSG than a MT)?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Wamsutta posted:

Anything to be wary of with TDI Sportwagens? I'll be looking for a new car soon, and I love the looks of them, I love VW interiors, and I love the idea of 40+mpg. There's a black/black, panoramic sunroof manual transmission 09 with 73k miles on it for $17k at a local Acura dealer (someone's trade-in, I guess). That price seems retard-high to me but I'm going to check it out on the weekend. Also I know the DSG gets rave reviews in the GTI, but how does that transmission work in the Sportwagen (I ask because I'm more likely to find a nice DSG than a MT)?

That's WAY too high for an out of warranty tdi, especially an 09. The CR tdi has about a .5-1% failure rate on the high pressure fuel pump which when it shits itself, the entire fuel system requires replacement. This costs about 8k to do. Personally I'd avoid a used out of warranty TDI until VW finally comes out and says what the gently caress they are going to do about the fuel pump issue.

Also, gently caress leatherette, just go buy a brand new '12 golf TDI, much more fun than the wagon, and get the extended warranty

san_dingo
May 31, 2004

I thought it was fast at the time.

COUGH 71hp COUGH

smax posted:

Back seats up or down?

The cargo cover can actually work as a barrier when you have your seats folded down. Use the two cargo hooks on the backs of the seats to hold the straight edge of the cargo cover and loop the strings (that attach the cover to the hatch and lift the cover when you open the hatch) around the front readrests so the thing doesn't flop over. Bam, instant free dog/cargo barrier. And you don't really need a seat cover then.

Thanks for the advice- for most dogs, that sounds like it would be perfect. My dog, unfortunately, has gone through interior doors/drywall due to separation anxiety, so I don't think the cargo cover would stand much of a chance. He's actually doing much better than when I first got him.

However, I did pick up a harness (http://www.amazon.com/Solvit-62296-Vehicle-Safety-Harness/dp/B000MD3NOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331773400&sr=8-1). When it's attached to the shoulder belt, he can still get in the front- but he can't when it's attached to the lap belt! Hopefully he won't chew through it. :ohdear:

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

san_dingo posted:

Thanks for the advice- for most dogs, that sounds like it would be perfect. My dog, unfortunately, has gone through interior doors/drywall due to separation anxiety, so I don't think the cargo cover would stand much of a chance. He's actually doing much better than when I first got him.

However, I did pick up a harness (http://www.amazon.com/Solvit-62296-Vehicle-Safety-Harness/dp/B000MD3NOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331773400&sr=8-1). When it's attached to the shoulder belt, he can still get in the front- but he can't when it's attached to the lap belt! Hopefully he won't chew through it. :ohdear:

If this is what you already tried then nevermind, but it blocks the front seat out in my GTI when I have the dog in the back. Then again, he doesn't quite sound like he behaves like your dog.

http://www.solvitproducts.com/products-ls798_1_ls-i54_i.aspx

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

That's WAY too high for an out of warranty tdi, especially an 09. The CR tdi has about a .5-1% failure rate on the high pressure fuel pump which when it shits itself, the entire fuel system requires replacement. This costs about 8k to do. Personally I'd avoid a used out of warranty TDI until VW finally comes out and says what the gently caress they are going to do about the fuel pump issue.

Also, gently caress leatherette, just go buy a brand new '12 golf TDI, much more fun than the wagon, and get the extended warranty

8k is a stretch, a more realistic number is 5-6k.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Wamsutta posted:

I couldn't tell you about prices, but I've had my 2010 MT one for about 1.5 years, and the only real problem I had was it failing to start one day, which they told me was the fault of a clogged fuel filter/bad gas. I think it's plenty of fun, but I could definitely see why you'd pick a TDI Rabbit over a Jetta.

That and my transmission doesn't seem to like to just pop into 1st like a normal fully-synchronized MT does. A tech told me this is normal, which seems like bull, but whatever. I can deal with [poorly] double-clutching or waiting until the car is fully stopped to go to first. Not like I'm rolling stop signs, and it doesn't seem to be common.

That said, maybe I'm just heavy-footed/deal with lots of stoplights in 35-45mph traffic more than highways and nice empty state roads, but according to a web app, I've gotten an average mpg of 36.5, over 11k miles. But again, mostly short-ish trips, lots of stoplights. On longer trips (e.g. the ~450mi to my parent's house), I'll see 40-50, depending on how much I'm willing to follow the speed limit and not pass people going 65 instead of 70, &c.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I just found out that I'll be needing a car for the next 5 years, and figure it's just as good a time as any to pick up that GTI I've always wanted. How do these guys hold up in the snow/ice? I'll be living in Madison, Wisconsin and I'm assuming the roads are going to be pretty salty during the winters. I'm going to be looking at 2007s and up. Any particular years to avoid?

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
More trouble with my 98 A4 2.8. I need a complete exhaust system, cat-back.

Dealer wants about $2000 parts only, and I get trade price. I can't find exact/OEM-fit aftermarket options. Anyone know of any Canadian sources for this kind of thing?

I'd buy US-based if shipping was reasonable, and they can't ship via UPS since those guys gouge on customs.

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.

Residency Evil posted:

I just found out that I'll be needing a car for the next 5 years, and figure it's just as good a time as any to pick up that GTI I've always wanted. How do these guys hold up in the snow/ice? I'll be living in Madison, Wisconsin and I'm assuming the roads are going to be pretty salty during the winters. I'm going to be looking at 2007s and up. Any particular years to avoid?

I don't have a GTI, but I've driven a 2011 Golf TDI in Cleveland for the past 15 months. The Mk6 holds up absolutely fine as a FWD winter car, and I've stuck with the OEM all-season tires too - put a dedicated winter set on the thing and you might as well be driving in a light rain. This winter wasn't much of a test, but the first winter I had it was one of the most brutal we've had in years. I've never owned a Mk5 so someone else chime in please, but I really don't anticipate any issues related to adverse weather conditions.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

siliciferous posted:

I don't have a GTI, but I've driven a 2011 Golf TDI in Cleveland for the past 15 months. The Mk6 holds up absolutely fine as a FWD winter car, and I've stuck with the OEM all-season tires too - put a dedicated winter set on the thing and you might as well be driving in a light rain. This winter wasn't much of a test, but the first winter I had it was one of the most brutal we've had in years. I've never owned a Mk5 so someone else chime in please, but I really don't anticipate any issues related to adverse weather conditions.

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably see how the winter is and pick up a set of steelies/winter tires if I need to. Any reason to go MK6 over MK5?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Residency Evil posted:

Any reason to go MK6 over MK5?

It looks way radder.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
They're announcing the MK7 at the Paris Auto Show this fall. I would wait to see if they will water down the Golf or if the MQB platform will make it cheaper so you can get more for less.

I have a feeling anyone who buys an MK6 now might end up regretting it when the 7 comes out a year or two after.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

And those people will regret buying it when the Mk8 comes out. There is always going to be something "better" right around the corner.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DerDestroyer posted:

They're announcing the MK7 at the Paris Auto Show this fall. I would wait to see if they will water down the Golf or if the MQB platform will make it cheaper so you can get more for less.

I have a feeling anyone who buys an MK6 now might end up regretting it when the 7 comes out a year or two after.

I'd love to, but I kind of need a car before June. It's been 26 years, might as well.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Is there any effective way to prevent/mitigate the carbon buildup problem that seems to plague the FSI V8 and V10? Or are you doomed to a partial teardown every other oil change?

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
My MK6 GTI did great this past winter on dedicated snow tires. We had a few days of snow before I put the snow tires and it didn't do very well on the stock Continentals. Had a lot of difficulty getting the car moving on a sloped parking lot that was icy with snow on top.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Das Volk posted:

Is there any effective way to prevent/mitigate the carbon buildup problem that seems to plague the FSI V8 and V10? Or are you doomed to a partial teardown every other oil change?

Drive the piss out of either engine. The majority of our carbon-based complaints are from FSI/TFSI engines (not only the 8 and 10 cylinder but the 4 too) that get driven on short trips and never get worked hard.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Out of curiosity, are VW GTIs priced by people taking crazy pills? Edmunds shows a 2009 GTI being worth about 15k PP, 16k dealer retail. Everyone I see for sale seems to be around 19k. Is that just a function of the screwed up used car market these days or is 19k just the price dealers are listing them at?

At that price I might as well buy a new 2012.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Das Volk posted:

I beat the ever-living piss out of the FSI V8 in my Touareg, and it still seems pretty clean. :clint:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

my1999gsr posted:

Drive the piss out of either engine. The majority of our carbon-based complaints are from FSI/TFSI engines (not only the 8 and 10 cylinder but the 4 too) that get driven on short trips and never get worked hard.

Hah. That means the R8s get dentist syndrome and, like Porsches, have failures because they're owned by someone who's afraid to drive the thing. That means I have to either go new or buy one from someone who drives like I do. Do PPI's catch the carbon fouling, or is that something where I'd have to pay extra to get that checked?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bovril Delight posted:

And those people will regret buying it when the Mk8 comes out. There is always going to be something "better" right around the corner.

Except in this case, a late Mk5 is the same car mechanically as a Mk6. It even has more standard features, at least in the GTI (HIDs are optional on Mk6, were standard on Mk5, among other things). The facelift is a subjective thing (personally I like the new tail lights, but prefer the Mk5 from the front) so the only objective advantage I'm aware of to the Mk6 is the updated "XDS" traction control software.

As I see it, knowing that Mk7 is bringing significant changes, why buy the new one that's soon to be the old one when you can just buy the current old one and get practically the same exact car but with the discount of having the older body style? Unless you have to have a new car, buying a late Mk5 with an extended warranty seems to make a lot more sense than buying a Mk6 right now.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 19, 2012

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Residency Evil posted:

Out of curiosity, are VW GTIs priced by people taking crazy pills? Edmunds shows a 2009 GTI being worth about 15k PP, 16k dealer retail. Everyone I see for sale seems to be around 19k. Is that just a function of the screwed up used car market these days or is 19k just the price dealers are listing them at?

At that price I might as well buy a new 2012.

Pretty much. These days it's almost not worth buying used because for another grand or 2 you can get something new. As far as winter goes, my 2011 TDI golf on performance all seasons scoots around just fine. The only time I got stuck was when I hit a rut in the parking lot that jerked me over into snow higher than the bumper and it pretty much just jammed me up. Threw it in reverse and I was fine.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

veedubfreak posted:

Pretty much. These days it's almost not worth buying used because for another grand or 2 you can get something new. As far as winter goes, my 2011 TDI golf on performance all seasons scoots around just fine. The only time I got stuck was when I hit a rut in the parking lot that jerked me over into snow higher than the bumper and it pretty much just jammed me up. Threw it in reverse and I was fine.

On second thought, I may have overreacted. It looks like 08/09 gtis are selling for 14-16k on ebay. Maybe there's some room for bargaining. 8-10k saved is a big deal especially when the car is only 3-4 years old.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
2006 Rabbit-

My plastic headlight covers are extremely dulled. I tried http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TI5IIQ/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

the results were only slightly better. They seem dulled/yellowed beyond repair. What are my options? I am guessing new OEM headlight lens' are quite expensive?

Edit: I would love to upgrade to HID bulbs. However, I am quite novice to car DIY, and I don't want to be that jackass in your rearview with unadjusted HID bulbs blasting your eyes. Does anyone have a thorough resource for a HID upgrade for VW that goes into depth in explanation?

Thom ZombieForm fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 19, 2012

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Das Volk posted:

Hah. That means the R8s get dentist syndrome and, like Porsches, have failures because they're owned by someone who's afraid to drive the thing. That means I have to either go new or buy one from someone who drives like I do. Do PPI's catch the carbon fouling, or is that something where I'd have to pay extra to get that checked?

Driving it hard doesn't help all that much, to be honest. My car doesn't see much city driving, and at the time these photos were taken it had 23 track days and several backroads driving events on it over 43K miles.

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

Progression Please posted:

2006 Rabbit-

My plastic headlight covers are extremely dulled. I tried http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TI5IIQ/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

the results were only slightly better. They seem dulled/yellowed beyond repair. What are my options? I am guessing new OEM headlight lens' are quite expensive?

Edit: I would love to upgrade to HID bulbs. However, I am quite novice to car DIY, and I don't want to be that jackass in your rearview with unadjusted HID bulbs blasting your eyes. Does anyone have a thorough resource for a HID upgrade for VW that goes into depth in explanation?

This looks like a good place to start: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/HID-retrofit-Jetta-a5.htm

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

I bought a Volkswagen Golf R yesterday. Does this make me a fanboy?

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Weird that I didn't see this thread over the weekend while I was waiting to make my decision.

I picked up an '06 Audi A3 DSG yesterday, with 87k miles. Its main purpose is to be the family car/grocery getter, and POSSIBLY an auto-x or 2 and/or BMWCCA HPDE car for my wife. So far so good, and my only question to you would be... did I make a mistake? I did some research on the car and it seems I didn't. Just wondering if there's anything in particular with that year/model to look out for.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

siliciferous posted:

I bought a Volkswagen Golf R yesterday. Does this make me a fanboy?

Considering you paid 35k for a gussied up GTI, yes.

I want one :( What color?

While I'm on the subject, the Golf R comes with haldex and manual gearbox, why the gently caress can you only get awd with an auto in the a3?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

veedubfreak posted:

Considering you paid 35k for a gussied up GTI, yes.

I want one :( What color?

While I'm on the subject, the Golf R comes with haldex and manual gearbox, why the gently caress can you only get awd with an auto in the a3?

I think it's because they would sell about 8 of them total.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
How good is the haldex system anyway?

I'm pretty sure Germans can get a Golf R with DSG, 4-drs and AWD.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

veedubfreak posted:

I believe it's a combination of things: additional costs required to certify another engine/transmission combination, fear of cannibalizing sales from Audi, and past protest from "enthusiasts" that the R32 only came with DSG. Since the R costs as much as an A3, and posters on internet forums are a far cry from being representative of the overall market, the only semi-valid reason to me is the cost one, but I don't know if its real or significant. I might have considered an R with DSG if it was somewhere below $30000, but now I'm expecting to wait for the Mk7 and hoping it will not take terribly long to be sold in the U.S.

And Germans can of course get virtually any configuration.
Modell
Golf R 4MOTION 2,0 l TSI 199 kW (270 PS) 6-Gang-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe DSG Technische Daten anzeigen 39.275,00 €
Außenlackierung
Rising Blue Metallic 520,00 €
Sonderausstattungen
4 Türen inkl. elektrischer Fensterheber hinten Detailinformationen anzeigen 990,00 €

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Who would spend that much money on a Golf when you could get an Audi?