Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
The mechanithralls are out since they are "too ugly" so instead if we get rid of the chicken jacks would a unit of bane thralls+ UA or a unit of Witches+UA be a good subsitute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I agree, it's kind of criminal to run pSkarre without an entire unit of mechanithralls+necrosurgeon+skarlock. Half the reason to use her is so you can ritual sacrifice every turn for huge focus. I'd take 3 brutes too, but that would be overkill in a 25/35 point game (also $$).

Harrower is not a great jack for pSkarre. The spider jacks are really only for some casters, and nearly always better to take something different (Denegrah and Mortenebra can get away with using them). Thematically she may love the look the the spider jacks but it sucks a lot more for a new player to lose a lot because the list is not good.

This would be a much better starting list, and give you a good solid base to move on from later to more casters. Every new Cryx player should use the Deathjack to get over the new player handicap imo. I'd recommend a unit of Bane Thralls+UA as the next purchase, then the Withershadow Combine after that.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cryx
Casters: 1/1
Pirate Queen Skarre (*6pts)
* Deathjack (12pts)
* Skarlock Thrall (2pts)
Mechanithralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (5pts)
Necrosurgeon & 3 Stitch Thralls (2pts)
Satyxis Raiders (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Satyxis Raider Sea Witch (2pts)

Washout fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 18, 2012

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Excelsiortothemax posted:

The mechanithralls are out since they are "too ugly" so instead if we get rid of the chicken jacks would a unit of bane thralls+ UA or a unit of Witches+UA be a good subsitute?

Blood witches are phenomenal with Skarre1. Bane thralls are fine as well, its almost overkill but hey, hitting defense 16 on average dice for pow 18+4d6 isnt too bad :lol:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

poo poo, I've got less than a week and I've only just got my paint-scheme.

It's basically this, but swapping the blues for another colour. The red I think will be tricky but I'm sure I can smash it, what do you Goons think? Mechrite Red base coat, my selection of reds after that is Gory Red (Vallejo), Sanguine Base & Highlight (P3), Scab Red and Blood Red (Citadel) any recommendation on how to proceed with this? Not worked with reds before.

If I'm looking at this paint correctly, Sanguine Base may work pretty well too. Help Goons, you're my only hope.

e: Not the mini painting thread, I'm a bit of a mong evidently. Here will do I guess so I don't spam the place up.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 18, 2012

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

If you are not using mechanithralls then run eSkarre instead and use Deathjack and a Seether as the core of the army, anything else beyond that is just up to personal taste.

You are seriously handicapping pSkarre by not taking the regular combo imo. Skarres "signature spell" is ritual sacrifice, where you sacrifice a guy and get d6 extra focus. Without mechanithralls to sac it's not nearly as good. I guess you could try revenants instead with 3 long gunners and rengrave but they are way trickier and cost a lot more points.

There are a lot of cryx casters that will be seriously hampered without mechanithralls. For pGaspy, Terminus, eGoreshade, and pSkare they are really a required unit. They are also most probably the most powerful and versatile unit that cryx has available. You can substitute black ogryn or revenants for them, but those units are not good for beginning players and still not as good as mechanithralls. Mechs with all the trimmings and pGaspy or pSkarre are also probably the best and easiest combos for a new cryx player. Well maybe an all bane army and eGaspy would be easier but then you are probably just being mean to the other players.

This army is probably a oval office to deal with at 25 points.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cryx
Casters: 1/1
Skarre, Queen of the Broken Coast (*6pts)
* Deathjack (12pts)
* Seether (9pts)
Satyxis Raiders (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Satyxis Raider Sea Witch (2pts)

Just slam the jacks down the opponents throat and pop feat and win. Would be sure hard to deal with for almost any faction. Maybe everblight could sneak around the deathjack for an assassination, but good luck. This army has quite a few advantages. It's super cheap, and the new player will be able to gently caress up with it royally and still probably win.

Washout fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 18, 2012

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Oh I know that she is screwing herself but she wont play ugly creatures.....So its her choice.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Oh I know that she is screwing herself but she wont play ugly creatures.....So its her choice.

Yeah, if you're playing cryx and you won't play ugly, it's robots and horned ladies. That's what's left over, basically. Cryx is a seriously weird choice if you don't want creepy goopy stuff all over your army. Maybe suggest Ret or Cygnar now before it's too late?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

theironjef posted:

Yeah, if you're playing cryx and you won't play ugly, it's robots and horned ladies. That's what's left over, basically. Cryx is a seriously weird choice if you don't want creepy goopy stuff all over your army. Maybe suggest Ret or Cygnar now before it's too late?

Oh i have.....I have. She loves the look of the Satyxis and refuses to play anything else. For her its not really about the strategy and more about the prettyness of the race.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Washout posted:

If you are not using mechanithralls then run eSkarre instead and use Deathjack and a Seether as the core of the army, anything else beyond that is just up to personal taste.

You are seriously handicapping pSkarre by not taking the regular combo imo. Skarres "signature spell" is ritual sacrifice, where you sacrifice a guy and get d6 extra focus. Without mechanithralls to sac it's not nearly as good. I guess you could try revenants instead with 3 long gunners and rengrave but they are way trickier and cost a lot more points.

Uh sorry buddy but real Cryx players Sac their Necrosurgeon's stich thralls. :smugpiratequeeen:

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.

Oh i have.....I have. She loves the look of the Satyxis and refuses to play anything else. For her its not really about the strategy and more about the prettyness of the race.

Maybe circle? Bloodtrackers work with a lot of their warlocks, but Morvhanna in particular likes them a lot.

Morvhanna
- a big puppy
- a bigger puppy
- goatman
- big rock man
Bloodtrackers (full)
-Nuala
Nyss hunters (full)
Druid wilder
-other choice solos

I'd play that. You can take it right up to like 50 points.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Okay. Seriously. Who the gently caress thought that these forward exhaust pipes on Deathjack were a good idea? Because that person is an idiot.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Played in my countries largest warmachine/hordes tournament this weekend. Very tired but I did take some pictures.

I pretty much ran my Grim list every game. I knew it best and he was most like to live through the games. He didn’t die the entire tournament.

It was 7 games using Steamroller 2012. 6 rounds of swiss chess then in the 7th round has 1-4 playing for 1st, 2nd and 3rd then the rest of the field swiss chess playing for rankings.

I went 2-2 on the first day and had a blinder winning all my games on the second day. I placed 4th overall on wins and control points.

Due to timed turns I didn’t take many pictures.

1st game vs Dave’s Cygnar, he was running pHaley (lost)

2nd game vs Alex’s Legion, he was running eThagrosh (won)

3rd game vs Luke’s Circle, he was running a Tree dude (lost)

4th game vs Darryl’s Cryx, he was running Tier 4 Morenebra (won)

5th game vs Chris R’s Circle, he was running Moshar (won)

6th game vs Andrew’s Mercs, he was running Durgan (won)

7th game vs Mark’s Trolls, he was running Borka (won)

So I came 4th, Won best of Faction and won best of Hordes.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

There are enough satyxis infantry options that you could just buy all raiders and blood witches, solos, and jacks and have a solid list. Youre handicapping a little, but its not like raiders or blood witches are bad options, theyre both stellar. Yeah ritual sacrificing a blood witch sucks, but its still a cheap model overall.

If she plans on going to tourneys then yeah its prob going to be an issue, but for friendly games either Skare + satyxis stuff/warwitches+jacks is a solid list. Thats the joy of cryx. None of it really sucks.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Lintman, thats awesome. What country are you from? I want to take a warmachine vacation there

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Awesome job repping Trolls Lintman, cool to see you did well!

Looking at your pics you run a pretty diverse selection of models in your list, did you use reinforcements at all, and what did you use?

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

So, just started getting into this here robot punching hobby.
Banes vs Mechanithralls for pGaspy. Anybody have advice? Washout mentioned earlier on this page that Mechanithralls are "pretty much a required unit" for pGaspy. Anybody want to weigh in on that? Any general tips for building a list for pGaspy would be awesome too.

BattleCake fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 18, 2012

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I think that will partially come down to the rest of the list, and what armies you expect to play. If you have other hard hitters, Mech Thralls can be a decent backup, but you have to factor taking 1-2 surgeons into their cost. They can smash harder targets decently with their special attack, but have pretty low MAT and won't hit anything decent defense. They are only a couple damage average under Thralls with Combo Strike, but 1(3 with Tart) lower MAT. At only 9 points with 2 surgeons, you could afford to take 2 full squads + 2 surgeons for the same price as the "full" Thrall unit.

If you don't have a strong jack(DJ/Nightmare) in the list, Bane Thralls+UA+Tart can hit accurately and crush anything they touch under armor 21 on the charge, and that's before Scything Touch/Parasite. With both of those you can kill things even under a defense feat, or armor 25+ Khador jacks. Thralls are also very survivable if you are not facing strong anti stealth(Legion). ARM 15 + Tough will get you through a large amount of blast damage. They come out to 11 points with UA, and 15 with Tart though, which is a pretty large amount more than Mech Thralls. But the first time you get to Thresher an infantry unit with Tart and plop down a bunch more Thralls you will love them forever.

Or just take both!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Gaspy1 does nothing at all to help your dudes hit things. I dont like mechanithralls with him because there are heavies out there with defense higher than 12, and mcthralls flounder against them. Theyre definitely a great screening/tarpit cheap unit to speedbump your opponents expensive infantry, but dont expect them to hit much.

Gaspy1 can turn almost any unit into a heavy hitter. I like a combo of banes for taking out really high armor/low def stuff, and blood witches or gorgers+gerlak for taking out infantry.

Also dont forget that any infantry armor 14 or less are a prime target for parasite+feat. There are a lot of DEF 15 ARM 11 elite units out there just begging to get parasite, feated, wiped off the table. Cya kayazys/nyss/winterguard!

Oh and gunmages. Die gunmages.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ive been playing variations of this list and its really fun. It has phenomenal damage output, and is really simple and fun to play (as most gaspy1 lists are)

Iron Lich Asphyxious (*6pts)
* Cankerworm (5pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Nightwretch (4pts)
* Reaper (7pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Bloodgorgers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
General Gerlak Slaughterborn (3pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I need to pick up a box of nightwretches, they seem pretty solid.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Theyre the best 4 pt node, imo. The deathripper has its uses for sure though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah. I just love the deathrippers ability to really just punish casters who don't take it seriously as anything but an arc node.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah. Nightwretch isnt bad if you can get a focus on it, but mostly what I like is that it can make some sort of combat action and then still arc node.

I think my favorite chicken though is the ripjaw, the amount of damage Ive done with their pow 10 AP charge attack is hilarious.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
I personally think the stalker is underrated but I am an idiot :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

I personally think the stalker is underrated but I am an idiot :v:

The Stalkers is an awesome 'jack but it's not an arc node :v:

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Ah but if it was though, right? :allears:

I want to buy mortenebra and run like, stalker/helldiver/scavengers chicken brigade.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Ah but if it was though, right? :allears:

I want to buy mortenebra and run like, stalker/helldiver/scavengers chicken brigade.

I plan on picking up 2 Stalkers to run with the Coven at 50. Awww yeah.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I find them extremely underwhelming and prefer my Deathrippers. I guess they're nice because you can play them self and still maybe shoot something, but I dunno...

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

Sab669 posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I find them extremely underwhelming and prefer my Deathrippers. I guess they're nice because you can play them self and still maybe shoot something, but I dunno...

I'd like to hear the reasoning actually. Nightwretches never hit anything without focus, but deathrippers are handy if the node goes down or you spot an opening to throw in a few sustained attack hits, especially if your caster has something to buff them or a parasite etc.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Its mostly because I can do something with it every turn if I want, and a pow 14 ranged attack is no joke. The deathripper cant do anything the turn it arcs.

Either way they are both pretty bad at combat, but hey, 4 pt nodes.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
I don't know, it's the rat 5 that puts me off. Different strokes I guess

e:nvm

Fast_Food_Knight fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 18, 2012

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

Ive been playing variations of this list and its really fun. It has phenomenal damage output, and is really simple and fun to play (as most gaspy1 lists are)

* Cankerworm (5pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Nightwretch (4pts)
* Reaper (7pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)

Yeah I saw that list a few pages back, I'm just starting so I'll be playing 15pt games with a friend for now but I'll probably work towards something like that in the future. Thanks for all the advice guys!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I finished the unit of Druids I've been working on forever:

I've already posted most of the rest of my army here and there, but it's all at my imgur: http://sulecrist.imgur.com/all/

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
After a really big sleep I am back at my computer. I live in New Zealand, from Wellington but the tournament was held in Auckland our largest city.

My two lists were:

Army Name: Grim
Trollbloods
35+6 points, 27 models

Grim Angus +6 points
* Dire Troll Mauler 9 points
* Troll Impaler 5 points

Fell Caller Hero 3 points
Janissa Stonetide 3 points
6 Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes 4 points
* Stone Scribe Elder 1 point
3 Trollkin Champions 6 points
10 Trollkin Fennblades 8 points
* Fennblade Officer & Drummer 2 points

And:

Army Name: Madrak
Trollbloods
35+6 points, 24 models

Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain +6 points
* Mulg the Ancient 12 points
* Troll Axer 6 points

Fell Caller Hero 3 points
4 Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes 3 points
* Stone Scribe Elder 1 point
3 Trollkin Champions 6 points
10 Trollkin Fennblades 8 points
* Fennblade Officer & Drummer 2 points

I used the Grim list for all 7 of my games. In the 5th round I won via scenario in 25mins including setup so we played a friendly game with our second lists. Mulg under Carnage and pMadraks feat turn killed: Full unit of Skinwalkers, 4 Tharn bloodtrackers, Warpwolf Stalker and did 9 damage on Morvana. Fun times.

Reinforcements were not used mostly due to the info for the tournament being advertised before the SR2012 pack had been released.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
So, I tried out Menoth real quick today at a (long overdue) Longest Night event.

I played Kreoss1, Severius2, Thyra, and Vindictus for a total of 5 games (Severius2 was used twice.) I've been goofing around with making them my main Warmachine faction to collect.

Jesus jumped up Christ.

I forgot how insane Menoth Warjacks get Under the Choir. My only regret was not finding (at first glance,) a whole lot of threat extenders out there. The Blood of Martyrs went bananas, but on the whole That SPD 4 is here to stay.

Most lists were made of what I had already completed in terms of paint, so most lists had:

2 Vanquishers
The Blessing of Vengance
Max Bastions
The Covenant
Max Choir

Went 3-2, and had a great time. I can't wait for the KEE to drop in Plastic next month, and I need plastic Reckoners so bad it hurts.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

PaintVagrant posted:

* Cankerworm (5pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Nightwretch (4pts)
* Reaper (7pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)

Hey PV swap Malice in for that Reaper, he's totally worth the 2 extra points.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Sulecrist posted:

I finished the unit of Druids I've been working on forever:

I've already posted most of the rest of my army here and there, but it's all at my imgur: http://sulecrist.imgur.com/all/

Them shits so fresh, so clean. Nice work!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Feeple posted:

Went 3-2, and had a great time. I can't wait for the KEE to drop in Plastic next month, and I need plastic Reckoners so bad it hurts.

Feeple,

Lets be Menoth brosephs.

Sincerely

Last night I played Grim Angus against eSorscha, the scenario was the one with the two zones that launch artillery. I blew up my opponents cache, and ended Grim's activation at 4.1 inches from my objective ...gently caress! SO MUCH FOR WINNING!

Next turn, my opponent pops feat and hits Grim for 54 damage in two swings from Great Bears.

Grim's feat was pretty hilarious against Khador jacks! My opponent was like... Wow, I thought I was playing Trolls, not Cryx.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Games > Traditional Games > Warmachine & Hordes: Let's be Menoth brosephs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Mikael Kreoss posted:

Games > Traditional Games > Warmachine & Hordes: Let's be Menoth brosephs

Menoth is the only right and proper faction, after all.

• Locked thread