Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

areyoucontagious posted:

the townie grabbed my gun's barrel, put it to his head, and said I didn't have the balls.
"Ha! You! The guy I just saw shoot a man in cold blood! Bet you don't have the balls to shoot a man in cold blood!":psyduck:

Edit: "Implying that if you don't you have no balls!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
All in all, I still had a pretty good time, and I'm hoping the rest of the group did too. I'm thinking I might just have to tone down my murderous instincts, because I can only stand behind the "I took the 'Cruel' disadvantage!" argument so long.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

areyoucontagious posted:

All in all, I still had a pretty good time, and I'm hoping the rest of the group did too. I'm thinking I might just have to tone down my murderous instincts, because I can only stand behind the "I took the 'Cruel' disadvantage!" argument so long.
You want it to work? Be the one who does what has to be done. When one of them can't kill the shambling remains of their daughter, and are about to be eaten, pump it fulla lead. Be the antihero, people love an antihero. Just don't be a jackass.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

areyoucontagious posted:

Ya shoulda just pistol whipped the idiot. That way you are staying true to your character without needing a reset. And if the guy decides to fight back, great! The DM should let it happen as long as it doesn't escalate to more gun shots and now you have a good mini stress meltdown for your zombie apocalypse survivor group.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I fursonally think you shoulda said "You have guts. I like that" and then enslaved him.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Liesmith posted:

I fursonally think you shoulda said "You have guts. I like that" and then enslaved him.

This makes me uncomforable. :(

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

areyoucontagious posted:

This makes me uncomforable. :(

Because of the evilness of the action, or because he typed "fursonally"?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Apologies, I need to vent.

I'm running a paragon tier 4E PbP game and someone brought in a totally new to RPGs player. I said, awesome, roll up a character, hope this works out with it being a paragon game and all, the system can get complex. She writes up a seriously good if a bit grimdark backstory with lots of hooks, including one which I immediately latched on to for a main plot. It really is good.

First battle rolls around and the new player happens to get in the line of fire, her character gets pretty beat down within a few turns, bloodied but by no means close to death. I receive a huge pissed off e-mail from the fellow who brought her in about how this isn't fun for new players and "hey, if you wanted to sour a new player on the hobby, good job." I think about that, and realize I actually forgot about an ability she had that would have made the fight play out way differently, so I reply saying "hey okay, I was a bit worried about that, and I did gently caress up overlooking this ability, so I'm okay with it if we roll this fight back. It's the tutorial fight anyway, poo poo happens. But still man don't go off at me like I'm planning to haze the newbie, you know I don't do that and that's pretty low of you to even mention."

So she rejoins, we roll back and the fight goes alright.

Second fight, the cleric casts a spell that can make any hit a critical hit. No one makes use of it. I post the monsters' next actions and get an IM from the same guy saying they didn't see this ability, could we make one hit of theirs a critical retroactively. It's not unreasonable but I wasn't quite feeling it at the time, so I replied, sorry man, but it was right there, as in Cleric quoted the wording verbatim and no offense but you gotta read what your fellow players post. Reply is "well okay, but that's not exactly newb friendly. Yeah, new player says thanks for your support towards newbs." Now I'm honestly starting to get a bit pissed at them, thinking what, now every time things don't go quite her way they're gonna hit me with the "hey you're a bad DM who's out for newb blood" stick? gently caress that and also gently caress sarcastic cheap shots in rule debates among friends. But he drops the issue and so do I because I'm not in the mood to argue about elfgames over IM.

Later that same fight she posts some actions that would provoke an opportunity attack. Two other players react to that opportunity attack on their turns. Then she comes in saying no, there's a class feature that means her action didn't provoke the OA. Which is perfectly true and completely valid but now we gotta roll back 2-3 turns again and could have avoided it if she'd noted that class feature in her initial post. It's not a terrible incident on its own but together with the others it's starting to get seriously grating and I'm definitely not feeling the whole campaign anymore.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Make a rule about how soon people have to notice these things. Sounds like there are some severely conflicting wants going on.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

In the 4e PbP game I'm in our combat blocks have all of our basic combat stats plus all conditional abilities, when they apply (e.g. when an ally who can see you spends an action point...), and the conditions under which we would want to use immediate interrupts and reactions, etc. Try something like that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm running a paragon tier 4E PbP game and someone brought in a totally new to RPGs player.

Whoever that someone is, I already hate them and wish them ill.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Some 4th Ed PbP I'm in, everyone's character sheets are accessible to everyone for reading. Granted, I'm the only one who adds an extra section of 'here is an itemized list of what my feats and items specifically do', and we play VERY fast and loose with eachother's reaction and interrupt powers.

I doubt something like "I use the bard's reaction encounter power on the attack my fighter just botched" would fly in most games. But listing sheets where everyone can readily check them so you have no excuse for 'Oh, I didn't KNOW they had a class feature!' except being too lazy to check. We also tend to put our 'single most spammed gimmick' on the battle map somewhere. (My fighter's Combat Challenge Attack Of Opportunity is wildly mutating into some form of prone causing combat advantage inducing pushing extra damage and hit bonus monstrosity).

I've had to take up writing a fellow player's sheets just so it's not a complete mystery to everyone unfortunately. Dude refuses to do more than paste raw text export from the character builder which is basically just a list of powers, feats, and items.

EDIT: Bonus! Lazy Sheet writer is also the GM. Yeah.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 16, 2012

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
For the uninitiated would someone mind explaining what a "paragon" tier is? And is PbP standing for "play by post"?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

For the uninitiated would someone mind explaining what a "paragon" tier is? And is PbP standing for "play by post"?

Yes to the second, Paragon Tier is being two thirds of the way through the levels. Heroic is 1-10. Paragon is 11-20, and you pick up a paragon path for free. Epic is 21-30, and you pick up an Epic path for free.

Basically, Paragon is when things start to leave bare bones simple on a character build, and get into complicated pile of extras like everyone else is and will say.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 16, 2012

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Paragon tier is just high-level; bringing in a newbie to a paragon tier game would be inundating them with rules and options and all kinds of bullshit that a newbie player really should not have to be dealing with. PbP is play-by-post, correct.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Paragon tier in D&D 4e is levels 11-20. Generally by this point in the game, everyone has picked up a shitload of conditional modifiers and/or off-turn abilities and it's a horrible time to bring in somebody who's completely new to pen & paper RPGs. And yes, PbP=Play by Post.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Really Pants posted:

Whoever that someone is, I already hate them and wish them ill.
As do I. Holy poo poo, you do not bring a completely new to RPGs player into a pbp. Furthermore, it's a pbp; you have ample time to to read a player's action, go grab a book, read the rules on it, comprehend it, and post accordingly. I could understand not catching stuff like that in a live game, but pbp? gently caress that.

Secondly, that guy's a double rear end in a top hat for both bring a total newbie into a pbp and acting like such a douchebag because his friend's character got bloodied. It's D&D, if half or more of the party isn't bloodied at some point during a fight, you're doing it wrong.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

So it would be like someone being thrown into a game of mage where all the other characters are throwing around minature suns and headbutting the moon, and them not knowing the name of the various houses?

I mean would it be possible for a new person to play in that sort of game and it would simply be absurdly difficult?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Josef bugman posted:

So it would be like someone being thrown into a game of mage where all the other characters are throwing around minature suns and headbutting the moon, and them not knowing the name of the various houses?

I mean would it be possible for a new person to play in that sort of game and it would simply be absurdly difficult?

It's like, middle level. It's when poo poo is no longer basic and usually you have a big hunk of abilities for in and out of combat, and what amounts to a mini-class on top of it. No it's not impossible but it's kinda stupid to not just go 'maybe wait until we can do a low level one' since that's when you have like, three abilities and a class feature to remember.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Josef bugman posted:

I've done it before where we needed more players in a game that was pretty much killy killy stabby stabby you should know the rules but only because I was the only person there and we needed more players. Fortunately it wasn't like they were completely new to D&D just 4E.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

I've done it before where we needed more players in a game that was pretty much killy killy stabby stabby you should know the rules but only because I was the only person there and we needed more players. Fortunately it wasn't like they were completely new to D&D just 4E.

I think I understand. It's how I have felt every time I have played a game more complex than "diplomacy" or "risk".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Really Pants posted:

it's a horrible time to bring in somebody who's completely new to pen & paper RPGs
That's in so many words, but less diplomatically, what I said. After the first major botch/rollback I even offered to turn it into a level 1 game. They didn't want that either.

Section Z posted:

I doubt something like "I use the bard's reaction encounter power on the attack my fighter just botched" would fly in most games.
Actually that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Triggered actions as group resources. That at least seems to be working out well, most of what they have gets triggered on my turns anyway. But I think for 4E PbP in general the best solution might be "don't pick triggered powers beyond what you get automatically, it's enough of a pain in the arse to track as it is."

I'm gonna have them start on combat blocks, I think. That and a rule like "no rollbacks, post everything the others need to know on your turn, and read everyone's posts".

Yawgmoth posted:

Secondly, that guy's a double rear end in a top hat for both bring a total newbie into a pbp and acting like such a douchebag because his friend's character got bloodied.
His girlfriend's. :eng101:

Yeah hindsight and all that.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Josef bugman posted:

I think I understand. It's how I have felt every time I have played a game more complex than "diplomacy" or "risk".

If you've played WOW, imagine if the first time you played you were like level 45, and you had to learn what all 29 buttons did at once, instead of slowly along the level curve as you earned them.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
So it's been a while. Time to talk about the Battle For Coruscant in my Star Wars campaign - which is still ongoing, mind you, but hey.

So I've talked about this game a bit before; it's a very, very long-running campaign. We started, in-universe, somewhere around the first film, and we've hit the Battle of Endor/Second Death Star. Our group and fleet has been dispatched to attack Coruscant - the capital world of the Empire - essentially as a distraction, to keep the Core World fleets on their toes while the main Rebel armada goes after the Emperor, who's off subjugating Ewoks right now. Other fleets have been dispatched for similar battles all around the area, and another large fleet is headed to Kuat Drive Yards (the place where they build Star Destroyers).

Basically we drew the suicide mission - the "keep everyone busy so they don't notice our buildup over here" mission. Our job is to attack Coruscant itself and make the Empire believe we're committed to taking and holding the capital in a suicidal decapitation attack. Naturally, we have decided that the only thing better than making the Empire think we're trying to take Coruscant is actually taking Coruscant.

Now let's talk about Coruscant's defenses. There are five layers of defenses; they are pretty brutal.

* The outermost ring of defenses would be the 26 Star Destroyers (and their attendant ships) permanently assigned to guard the Capital. Typically 20 of them are in a loose sphere surrounding the planet while the other 6 are on regional patrol.
* Beyond that, there is a series of several hundred Golan-class fortresses - space stations with a lot of guns - in a shell formation.
* Next there are the satellites - thousands upon thousands of satellites with fighter-strength shield generators and turbolasers that are programmed to swarm at incoming ships. And which will also explode if you touch 'em. These are all computer-linked to a mainframe on the planet, and will coordinate their attacks with one another.
* Then there's the planetary shield generators, which are many and varied and strong enough to put two layers of planetary-strength shields up around the whole planet with a third layer above certain vulnerable/important positions such as Imperial Center.
* And finally there's the ground troops, which - counting COMPNOR militias (think the SS - not as well-trained militarily but all fanatically loyal to the Emperor (and only the Emperor)) - number somewhere in the hundreds of millions.

So, you know, this is gonna be tricky. We pull in every ship, every favor we're owed, every ally we've made. Our fleet is smaller than theirs but not by a lot, and considering our crews' skill levels and the amount of firepower we've retrofitted to some of the ships we stand a decent chance in a stand-up fight. We can drop just over a hundred million troops, counting several planetary militias we can call on as well as all the Rogers (trade federation combat droids).

We have also sent in several infiltration teams in advance on the Storm Hawk, a tramp freighter that we've outfitted with some kind of mondo-impressive stealth system that basically makes it invisible to sensors. The Storm Hawk can't stealth it up for the fighting to come - Coruscant has mass sensors that will defeat the stealth, but by hiding it in the mass shadow of a different ship we can use it to get people on-planet before the attack. Between our infiltrators and previously existing Rebel operatives, we can turn off the shield generators... twice, for short periods of time. The first time we do it, Imperial doctrine is to transfer control of the planetary shields to the local generators; therefore, the second time we turn the shields off it means the spies and operatives have to walk up to the shield generators and flip the off switch, which will get them killed.

So we went in thinking we knew pretty well how things were gonna go, but remember how I said we've kind of cured the Empire of being stupid by killing all the officers who wouldn't innovate? Well...

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 18, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Okay. We arrive at Coruscant. The planet's shields are down, and half their fleet is nowhere to be found... and the local general sends a message announcing their surrender.

So this was unexpected.

We're invited to land troops but choose not to fall for the obvious trap; while we're processing all this information a "Rebel fleet" - read: Imperial ships - appears and bombards the planet. Specifically, it bombards the slums - dedicated housing for nonhuman residents, mostly. Then it leaves again.

The Imperial general publicly decries this "unwarranted aggression towards a planet that was prepared to surrender," raises shields, and in warps a bunch of Star Destroyers. So poof! Just like that we've lost the PR war already, and the Empire has rid itself of several thousand smelly xenos all in one swoop. So... poo poo.

There is epic space fight now. Without going into the tactical blow-by-blow, suffice it to say they had a lot of cunning plans and a lot of neat tricks that we managed not to get caught by (mostly) and we drive off the local fleet while sustaining significant damage. We also blow a few holes in the Golan fortress coverage with planetary-scale torpedoes and those boarding spikes that the droid fleets have.

While the Imperial fleet is off regrouping we decide we're going to land our troops; we decide to feint towards Imperial Center (the heart of the Empire) and instead land troops in a fairly deserted industrial region, where we can set up a perimeter and begin a long-term ground war; we figure we can get away with said long-term ground war on account of how the Battle of Endor began ~20 minutes ago in-game - which means we should be ~25 minutes from the Emperor's death and the resultant widespread confusion and temporary cessation of hostilities that canonically follows.

Did I mention yet that our GM has already told us, months ago, that as a result of some of our actions, "a significant part" of the Return of the Jedi... didn't happen the way it happened in the film?

To blow a hole in the satellite coverage, we take some of our previously-damaged ships (three Carrick-class cruisers) which are already so badly damaged that they're only barely moving, and put Rogers (combat droids) in the cockpits and aim them at the planet. This will cause the satellites to swarm and attack the Carricks, so we can blow up the massed satellites from further out. We do so, and give the order for the shields to drop so we can land some of our troops.

We land troops. My character, Miles, lands as well, and reports to the two PCs we already had on-planet - Flint, a Force-using Jedi commando badass, and Plan B, who's basically invisible at will (as Miles is minmaxed for computers, Plan B is minmaxed for stealth).

A quick aside about Flint - Flint is 24th or 25th level by now. Flint is loving grotesque. Flint has survived orbital bombardment from a turbolaser. Spent a few weeks in the bacta tanks, sure, but he got shot from orbit and did not die. Lucky rolls, but still.

Flint has already been groundside, clearing our LZ by going around to the local planetary defense systems (read: ground-side cannons) and killing all the people inside and then staffing them with our people. In one, he turned the corner and found a guard sitting behind a shield with a portable generator... and an E-Web Repeating Blaster. Flint got the drop on the guy and did enough damage to drop his shield, but not enough to keep him from shooting back. Here's how that exchange worked.

Imperial: *keeps trigger button pressed, does 36 points of damage*
Flint: *spends a Force point, rolls Absorb/Dissipate Energy, a Force thingy that lets him not get killed by this, and - long story short - takes zero damage*
Imperial: :stare:
Flint: :smug:
Imperial: *removes rank insignia, stands up, walks away while shaking his head slowly*

(Absorb/Dissipate is apparently the trick that Darth Vader used when Han shot at him and he deflected the shot with his hand; our group got quite the laugh when we realized that Flint had just done the same thing, only with so many shots that he turned into E.Honda for a minute there)

We're getting troops down while some of the Imperials - including that "rebel fleet" from before - drop back in out of hyperspace, so our remaining spaceborne assets head that way while we get a perimeter set up, and it is suggested that perhaps, now that the Empire knows our attack on Imperial City's defenses was just a feint... maybe now is the perfect time to take a small commando group (read: the PCs and assorted lackeys) over to Imperial City to try and take over the extremely centralized control systems for the entire planet while everyone's trying to deal with our invasion...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

So I can't speak much to the space battle stuff that's happening at about this point, on account of how I'm planetside. Suffice it to say there is a lot of shooting. More ships are dropping out of hyperspace. Our guys are horrifically outgunned, but they second-guess the Imperials a few times and manage to not get killed.

Meanwhile we take the Storm Hawk and drop into the Imperial Throne Room. Sadly, we set off some alarms while so doing. But we disable them quickly, and then we reach the computer systems that control... well, pretty much everything. After bypassing more security systems, I'm presented with the login prompt.

GM: Roll Computer Use, dude.
Me: Okay, so that's 32 ranks plus 3 for our leader's Leadership roll back during the start of the attack plus 8 for my slicer rig plus... :rolldice:
Dice: 20
Me: :stare:
GM: :doh:

So, yeah. Coruscant is mine now. I manage to get every single groundside defense battery switched over to a maintenance mode - effectively, I've turned off all the anti-aircraft guns. So we decide "gently caress keeping our troops at the LZ; now that they don't have to worry about ground fire let's load them back up and get them over to Imperial Center."

As the ships are landing, two things occur.

Number One: another group of ships arrive, five Star Dreadnoughts - older ships, but loving massive ones, roughly Imperial Star Destroyer-sized. These are not registered to the Imperial Navy; they're registered to Kuat Drive Yards. Looks like the fighting there didn't go according to plan.

Number Two: Seven figures arrive on the elevator into the Throne Room. Six of them are Imperial Guardsmen (the dudes in red, the Emperor's personal guards). The seventh is all in black robes and carries a lightsaber. Because, well, the Emperor had more Sith lackeys than most people knew.

So yeah. We may be pretty well boned. But drat, if you gotta die, dying while taking Coruscant is pretty much the best way to do it in a Star Wars game, right?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

A whole shitload of awesome stuff that I wish I could have been a part of.

OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED NEXT! :suspense:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Beardless posted:

OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED NEXT! :suspense:

I don't know yet! Ask me in two weeks when we hopefully finish the battle (and possibly the game, depending on how the GM feels about it)!

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

I don't know yet! Ask me in two weeks when we hopefully finish the battle (and possibly the game, depending on how the GM feels about it)!

I love your stories because I can't punch holes in them. Usually when I hear about a Star Wars game, I sperg out about little details, but your run down of Coruscant's defenses were really accurate.

How were you guys able to pierce through the shields to land troops? I see you gave the order for the shields to drop, but was this the work of the commando teams you had sent in earlier?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I find that the best way to keep PCs who have acquired an army from getting bored is to introduce a villain with a bigger and nastier army.

The same guys who were just yesterday sighing about being too successful and the focus of the game no longer being on their characters, et cetera, will invariably turn around and yell "Wait, no, gently caress THAT guy, our army is better and we're going to MAKE it better" and turn into Monty, Patton, Rommel, and Sun Tzu, focusing on leadership and tactics. Not because they realize that the game's focus has shifted but because somewhere out there is a dude cooler than them and almost no self-respecting gamer can permit that to happen.

Another option is to figure out what they're attached to within their army and then threaten it. One of my DMs (For those who happen to be following all my posts in and out of this thread like an obsessive stalker who wants to wear my face for a hat, this is the same campaign with manly fisticuffs between my Warlock and a ranger, the Grey Render as party mascot, and the Shifter Totemist that could be set on liquify) noticed that we were really attached to our stronghold. One of the NPCs we'd picked up was an architect, and we'd thrown a boatload of money at her to fix it up. He had an opposing force teleport into the keep. Their leader was this mad scientist mage who had Ghost Sound Permanencied on himself just to give himself an impressive, multiplexing voice.

We immediately decided to take the fight to him after he teleported out, because A) He was really goddamn pretentious, and B) He defaced our really cool dome.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I love your stories because I can't punch holes in them. Usually when I hear about a Star Wars game, I sperg out about little details, but your run down of Coruscant's defenses were really accurate.

How were you guys able to pierce through the shields to land troops? I see you gave the order for the shields to drop, but was this the work of the commando teams you had sent in earlier?

The GM knows far more about Star Wars than I would personally consider healthy; dude's an expert. Assume most inconsistencies regarding the universe to be my fault for misremembering. :)

And yeah, it was the commandos, as well as pre-existing Rebel operatives who'd been deep-cover for ages (the dudes you hear about in gaming sourcebooks, in effect). Most of them died to get us on-planet, which is part of the reason we're very gung-ho about actually taking the place instead of just blowing poo poo up and leaving.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA CORUSCANT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I don't even like Star Wars, and these stories are knocking me on my rear end with awesome.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Bitchtits McGee posted:

I don't even like Star Wars, and these stories are knocking me on my rear end with awesome.

I love Star Wars and these stories are making me :neckbeard: like a child all over again.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Bitchtits McGee posted:

That is probably the coolest thing I've heard today, man, thanks!

A few other miscellaneous details that I forgot to mention:

1) Miles has generated several 'paper agents' in ISB and Imperial Intelligence - spies that have "infiltrated the Rebels" that exist solely on paper and/or computer records. First thing I did when we dropped out of hyperspace to invade Coruscant was to send, under the ID of one of these paper agents, a message. A short message, burst-transmitted so as not to break his cover.

Said message consisted of the accusation that three important Imperial officials on Coruscant had been secretly funding and supplying the Alliance for years, trying to engineer a scenario where the Emperor left Coruscant so that they could launch a coup under the pretext of a "Rebel attack." Forged evidence followed.

Now, Imperial Intelligence is usually too smart to arrest important people in the middle of a battle on the word of one agent... which is why I sent it in a specific fashion. By making the burst transmission "accidentally" a little too powerful, I knew that the message would bleed over - it would be received on an II frequency, but it would also be audible on a frequency that was monitored by COMPNOR - and I made sure to send it in an Imperial encryption cipher that we knew COMPNOR had broken.

COMPNOR is basically the Emperor's personal SS and/or brownshirts. They hold rallies. They are fanatically loyal, not to the Empire, but to the Emperor. The ISB (Imperial Security Bureau) was established as an arm of COMPNOR. They are not too smart to arrest important people in the middle of combat operations, so... we'll see. We haven't had the chance to see if COMPNOR and the army are actively trying to kill one another yet. :D

2) One of the ships in our fleet is referred to simply as Ship. Ship is an old, old vessel we found in a ship's graveyard and got up and running again. While Ship has outdated weaponry and has only recently been retrofitted with a modern shield generator, it is frequently referred to as "the best ship in the fleet" by its crew. Its main computer is actually a droid, which moves around Ship and sounds rather like a slightly more upbeat Marvin the Paranoid Android. Oh, and its programming is in a language no one recognizes.

Probably because it was exclusively used by the Sith back in the days when they were a galaxy-wide threat. Yes, Ship is Evil with a capital E, and the reason its crew loves it so much is because Ship makes them because it is suffused with Dark Side energy somehow in a way I don't rightly grok. None of us know that in character, mind, though the Force users suspect.

Ship has been trying to convince its captain - another PC - to bombard Imperial Center from orbit, because clearly that's the easiest and simplest way to win is kill everyone who isn't on your side. During the second shield drop, Ship managed to convince him to do so.

"But we have people in Imperial Center!"
"So? Aim carefully."
"...good idea!"

Ship's main weaponry are plasma-based, which - unlike modern turbolasers - are utterly useless against shields. They will decimate an unshielded ship but modern shields stop them completely cold. Ship is firing these at Imperial Center, being careful not to hit, y'know, those of us who are actually in Imperial Center (and the Throne Room).

Thing about plasma weaponry is, it works kinda funny in the atmosphere. And by that I mean 'it sets the air on fire and turns into a giant Akuma-style fireball that hits the ground and ignites pretty much everything it touches, like steel or concrete or people.'

Remember all that poo poo I said we were doing in the Throne Room? Yeah. While we're doing all that we can see out the windows that the sky is on fire.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I love Star Wars and these stories are making me :neckbeard: like a child all over again.

I like OT Star Wars (then again who doesn't) and hate the majority of the Prequels and EU, and this is pretty much the coolest thing.

Anyway, a quick story of mine.

The First Time is Always The Hardest

So, we're in 4E Dark Sun, where nothing is good and you start off the game enslaved. After escaping the aforementioned slavers, my players went off in a hopeless direction, hoping to find the village the savers mentioned they were going to raid later. There were other temporary players, but the characters that stayed around for every session were, in no particular order:

:black101: Mortlock (Human Brawler Fighter w/ Wasteland Wanderer theme): Basically an unkillable force of nature whose tribe was killed/enslaved by House Stel as a youth. Fights with a spiked shield giving him the OOC nickname of 'Captain Athas.' Primary method of dealing with things is 'I grab it.'

:woop: Duhr (Human Rogue w/ Minstrel theme): Self–professed ladies' man and a ranged striker who used chatkchas (bladed bug boomerangs). Shenanigans with him generally involved him being a quintessential rogue who also killed a templar in Tyr, causing him to flee and be enslaved in the desert.

:supaburn: Rothkar (Dragonborn Sorcerer w/ Dune Trader theme): Responsible family dragonman that constantly is on caravans, and who secretly has studied his magical heritage.

Anyway, so the party is at the climax of the adventure, where they have to defend the village from the slavers. A large enough number of them is clustered in the village that Rothkar decides to use his level 1 Daily, a kind of acidic/electrical breath weapon. It misses.

:rolldice: You know, you could do that thing I told you about.

Now Defiling in 4E lets Arcane characters reroll a missed daily, at the cost of some of the other players' health. In flavor terms, you're also destroying the environment around you. This is A Bad Thing.

After some deliberation, the group decides to let him defile.

:supaburn: ... 20.

:rolldice: Using your twisted sorcerous might, you breathe in the very life of the parched earth around you and expel a terrifying, noxious cloud of acid, lightning and death towards your enemies, which are ... instantly and irreductably turned to the infertile ash of defiling.

:black101: :woop: "Holy poo poo."

:supaburn: oh nooo...

:rolldice: The adobe brick of the house is singed black, and the earth in the blast field is permanently made of grey ash. A small bird overhead staggers in its flight. You all feel that something horrible has been done.

:supaburn: what did I DOOOOO?

:rolldice: To be fair, you did crit.

Thankfully, they were able to blame the horrific blight on the wizard the slavers brought along through a few bluff checks. The village had to relocate to around the ancient cistern the players had found before then.

Rothkar doesn't defile anymore.

Time Machine
Feb 24, 2006
When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit.

another group of ships arrive, five Star Dreadnoughts.

So yeah. We may be pretty well boned. But drat, if you gotta die, dying while taking Coruscant is pretty much the best way to do it in a Star Wars game, right?

You do know that there's a whole Executor-class Super Star Destroyer that's buried beneath Coruscant's surface, right?

This is canon.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Remember all that poo poo I said we were doing in the Throne Room? Yeah. While we're doing all that we can see out the windows that the sky is on fire.
This is the most badass thing ever and I want to go back in time and make Lucas use your game's script for Star Wars.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Time Machine posted:

You do know that there's a whole Executor-class Super Star Destroyer that's buried beneath Coruscant's surface, right?

This is canon.

While using that as the escape vehicle would be a handy "gently caress you" to the Empire, I'm reasonably sure that entire group of infiltrators isn't even close to half the skeleton crew needed to fly a ship as massive as an Executor class (not to mention all the poo poo they'd break even worse trying to get something that big out, anyhow. Canonically, the ship being unearthed killed millions.)

DCB, never stop being amazing :allears:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Time Machine posted:

This is canon.

...I did not.

Now I have to see if I can cheese out a way for our characters to know about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

...I did not.

Now I have to see if I can cheese out a way for our characters to know about it.

The way things have been going, you could probably just tell the DM about it, show him the wiki link, and say "Dude, it's too awesome not to use :haw:" and he'll magic up some reference to it in the systems you've taken over.