Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ZWZ posted:

I met up with a friend of mine to play sf and he brought his new Quanba stick with the felt bottom. It felt a lot more secure when playing in my lap so I decided to mod my TE to have a felt bottom as well. I used this guide as a reference http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/felt-bottom-arcade-stick-mod.149182/.
I didn't follow this guide exactly (I used cheap sticky backed felt sheets and a cheaper glue) but it ended up really good for about 5 bux total spent and a little bit of work to take the bottom plate off. Really recommend this.

Just a note, this won't affect how secure the stick will be when playing on a solid surface like a desk since only the rubber feet make contact on flat surfaces.

The best thing about the felt bottom is I can play in my underwear! No cold metal that freezes my legs! So long, pants, and good riddance!

...for some reason nobody wants to ever use my stick now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gammatron 64 posted:

The best thing about the felt bottom is I can play in my underwear! No cold metal that freezes my legs! So long, pants, and good riddance!

...for some reason nobody wants to ever use my stick now.

thats because you keep leaving pubes in the felt.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

ZWZ posted:

I met up with a friend of mine to play sf and he brought his new Quanba stick with the felt bottom. It felt a lot more secure when playing in my lap so I decided to mod my TE to have a felt bottom as well. I used this guide as a reference http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/felt-bottom-arcade-stick-mod.149182/.
I didn't follow this guide exactly (I used cheap sticky backed felt sheets and a cheaper glue) but it ended up really good for about 5 bux total spent and a little bit of work to take the bottom plate off. Really recommend this.

Just a note, this won't affect how secure the stick will be when playing on a solid surface like a desk since only the rubber feet make contact on flat surfaces.
I did exactly this with my new SFxT Pro stick: though I used adhesive foam instead of felt. It's beautiful.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I know it has a terrible rep around here but...

I really am enjoying blazblue on the vita...
is there any reason I shouldn't invest in the console version?

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Is there a kof98 rom that has practice modes and poo poo? I can't even practice combos since I have to either fight the dumb AI or just player-less 2p that dies in 3 hits

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

washow posted:

Is there a kof98 rom that has practice modes and poo poo? I can't even practice combos since I have to either fight the dumb AI or just player-less 2p that dies in 3 hits

If you have MAME there is a cheat file that covers a lot of games and usually has settings for infinite time and health for fighting games. http://cheat.retrogames.com/

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

thats because you keep leaving pubes in the felt.

Thanks for explaining my joke, I'm sure no one would have got it if not for your help.

Zip posted:

I know it has a terrible rep around here but...

I really am enjoying blazblue on the vita...
is there any reason I shouldn't invest in the console version?

You should invest in the console version so you can, you know, play it with other people. Also you can use a stick.

Then again, good luck convincing people around you to play BlazBlue.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 17, 2012

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
Just a heads up in case there are people out there that didn't already know, it looks like DreamCancel's doing a bit of a thing today to try and drum up interest in King of Fighters XIII online (a noble goal), which seems an appropriate way to get depressed and angry a'fore St. Paddy's day drinkin': http://dreamcancel.com/2012/03/12/dream-cancel-kofxiii-online-tournament/

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

bleep posted:

If you have MAME there is a cheat file that covers a lot of games and usually has settings for infinite time and health for fighting games. http://cheat.retrogames.com/

Or you can just go into the emulator settings and set the Neo Geo to console version.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Yeah pol taught me how.

Just open up the game, then go to the dipswitch setting and change the MVS to AES

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Is playing fighters on the Vita comparable to playing them on a controller? I'm kind of thinking of getting a Vita to get MK9 so I can mess around in practice mode when I'm out of the house.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
I am trying to play with a stick, but so far using it has been a pain in the rear end.

What fingers should you use for the buttons? Also, is the back of your button hand supposed to hurt after playing for a while?

I am playing on the Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom stick btw.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I am trying to play with a stick, but so far using it has been a pain in the rear end.

What fingers should you use for the buttons? Also, is the back of your button hand supposed to hurt after playing for a while?

I am playing on the Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom stick btw.

Uh... my hands don't hurt when I play stick. It's so much more comfortable and ergonomic. My hands DO start hurting when I play on pad, though.

Generally, I rest my index, middle and ring fingers over jab strong and fierce (I don't really use my pinky at all.) My thumb rests over short (handy for marvel, I have S mapped to this). When I need to do kicks, I slide my hand down. I mean... it's kinda intuitive, man.

Holding the actual stick is less intuitive, though. A lot of people unfamiliar with them will grab the stick like they're churning butter and use their whole arm... that's no good.

I grip the ball with the fingertips of my index finger, middle finger and thumb, with my ring finger and pinky against the shaft (hardy har). I use wrist and finger movements to more precisely control the stick, my arm itself doesn't move.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Is playing fighters on the Vita comparable to playing them on a controller? I'm kind of thinking of getting a Vita to get MK9 so I can mess around in practice mode when I'm out of the house.

I've been playing a lot of Marvel on the Vita and enjoying it immensely. The only thing you'd be missing, if you also play on pad on console, is two shoulder buttons. I don't know MK9 well, but in MvC, those are basically for macro'd commands. So, assuming MK follows the same general pattern, you'd be good to go.

Really, it's pretty excellent for practice.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

inthesto posted:

Or you can just go into the emulator settings and set the Neo Geo to console version.

But if you do that you can't change the "Mai's boobs always bounce" setting from "no" to "yes" (that's actually in the cheat menu for KoF 2002).

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Gammatron 64 posted:

Uh... my hands don't hurt when I play stick. It's so much more comfortable and ergonomic. My hands DO start hurting when I play on pad, though.

Generally, I rest my index, middle and ring fingers over jab strong and fierce (I don't really use my pinky at all.) My thumb rests over short (handy for marvel, I have S mapped to this). When I need to do kicks, I slide my hand down. I mean... it's kinda intuitive, man.

Holding the actual stick is less intuitive, though. A lot of people unfamiliar with them will grab the stick like they're churning butter and use their whole arm... that's no good.

I grip the ball with the fingertips of my index finger, middle finger and thumb, with my ring finger and pinky against the shaft (hardy har). I use wrist and finger movements to more precisely control the stick, my arm itself doesn't move.

That's exactly what I'm doing right now :(. I have no problem with the stick, it's just the buttons that are killing me.

Do you rest your button hand wrist on the arcade stick or do you hover it above it?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
You should put your wrist on the stick if you want to get carpel tunnel really quickly.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Brosnan posted:

You should put your wrist on the stick if you want to get carpel tunnel really quickly.

I played with my wrist on the stick for a long time, and I started getting signs of carpal tunnel recently. :(

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I've been using stick for 3 years and haven't had it yet. I rotate my wrist in between games though, don't know if that has helped.

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

I don't really know how relevant this is to this thread but is anybody playing Yomi online? If you remember from a while back, it's David "David Sirlin" Sirlin's fighting game card game thing, and the online version has been up for a while now. It's pretty fun, and really does feel like a fighting game translated into cards. As a casual fighting game fan who likes to watch high-level matches but lacks the execution skill to really play anything, I've been enjoying the game a lot. You have to buy characters to play with, but two characters are free each week and you can buy new characters with ingame funbux earned from winning. There's a thread in Traditional Games but I thought this might be of interest here, too.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I was under the persuasion that there was something really wrong with the game, don't remember what. Also, David Sirlin does funny things to this thread.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Alcoholism posted:

I don't really know how relevant this is to this thread but is anybody playing Yomi online? If you remember from a while back, it's David "David Sirlin" Sirlin's fighting game card game thing, and the online version has been up for a while now. It's pretty fun, and really does feel like a fighting game translated into cards. As a casual fighting game fan who likes to watch high-level matches but lacks the execution skill to really play anything, I've been enjoying the game a lot. You have to buy characters to play with, but two characters are free each week and you can buy new characters with ingame funbux earned from winning. There's a thread in Traditional Games but I thought this might be of interest here, too.

I've been playing it a lot recently, it's actually really fun (because I win all the time). gently caress Lum though

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

At the risk of starting a flame war and possibly getting myself probated, is there a reason for the disdain some fighting game enthusiasts seem to have for Smash Bros.? A few friends introduced me to the competitive scene, and while I never considered it a fighting game in the past, I'm having a difficult time reconciling my previous views with my current understanding of how the game works.

What, from the fighting game player's standpoint, specifically differentiates Smash Bros. out of the genre? The play mechanics are different, obviously, but on a more conceptual level, I'm having trouble seeing the dividing line.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Philip Rivers posted:

At the risk of starting a flame war and possibly getting myself probated, is there a reason for the disdain some fighting game enthusiasts seem to have for Smash Bros.? A few friends introduced me to the competitive scene, and while I never considered it a fighting game in the past, I'm having a difficult time reconciling my previous views with my current understanding of how the game works.

What, from the fighting game player's standpoint, specifically differentiates Smash Bros. out of the genre? The play mechanics are different, obviously, but on a more conceptual level, I'm having trouble seeing the dividing line.

Smash Bros. is not designed to be a serious competitive game and to make it one the people who play need to change the rules in game as well as enforce rules outside of the game. It can be hard to take seriously as an outsider when there are so many rules in place, such as how many times a player can grab a ledge. The giant rule set can be found here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12492158

There are also issues of who gets player 1 and who gets player 2, as the game decides the winner of some outcomes based on controller port.

quote:

If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever team does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).

In general the scene behind it seems to have forced it to become a competitive game, rather than it naturally being one.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

quote:

There are also issues of who gets player 1 and who gets player 2, as the game decides the winner of some outcomes based on controller port.

How the hell could this even be put in as a thing :psyduck:

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

flatluigi posted:

I found a wiki page explaining it here. http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Port_priority

An example:

quote:

Grabbing
In Melee, if two opponents attempt to grab each other, and both grab hitboxes connect at the same time, only one player will end up grabbing the other, since two players cannot be grabbed and held at the same time. The above also applies to two players' simultaneous use of Mewtwo's Confusion in Melee. Port priority determines that the player with the lowest port, that is, closest to P1, is awarded with the grab. Essentially, this means that P1 is always awarded with the grab, and P4 is never awarded with it. In this case, P1 > P2 > P3 > P4.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Note that only happens when throws happen on the same frame which is exceedingly rare.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

quote:

1st place – 1,000,000 yen and “Blue Revo Ruler” ingame title.
2nd place – 300,000 yen and “Blue Revo Finalist” ingame title.
3rd place – 100,000 yen and “Blue Revo Best 4″ ingame title.

JAPAN GETTING IN DAT ESPORTS MONEY

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

bleep posted:

Smash Bros. is not designed to be a serious competitive game and to make it one the people who play need to change the rules in game as well as enforce rules outside of the game. It can be hard to take seriously as an outsider when there are so many rules in place, such as how many times a player can grab a ledge. The giant rule set can be found here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12492158

In general the scene behind it seems to have forced it to become a competitive game, rather than it naturally being one.

I don't really play Brawl mostly because there's a fairly active Melee community at my school for whatever reason, and the only rules I know are that you play a four stock match with an 8 minute time limit, turn on friendly fire for teams, and that you can't do the Ice Climber's freeze glitch.

Anyway, the issue with the argument I have is that even if it wasn't intentionally designed as a competitive game, Melee at least still takes a pretty significant amount of skill to play at a higher level, something that I guess I didn't appreciate until I saw it first-hand. Was Street Fighter II intentionally designed from the ground up to be an exceptionally serious competitive game? Some part of me doubts it (please correct me if I'm wrong here), but that doesn't really negate the fact that it most definitely could be played that way. The biggest difference I see here is that while Capcom embraced the competitive scene in future iterations, Nintendo shunned it.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Philip Rivers posted:

As someone who spent a whole lot of time playing Melee, I felt the same way for a while. However, there do have to be rules in place for tournaments to actually make the players fight against each other because the structure of the stages and recovery techniques make it possible to run away impossibly effectively. That's where the ledge rule comes in because it gives you complete invincibility and you can chain it over and over for 8 minutes and win by timeout. In a fighting game lameness is a respected tactic, in Smash lameness can be done 100% effectively with certain characters. Whether you add lots of rules or let people play it out, the highest level of tournament Smash will almost necessarily be very different than what people probably play in their living room, even if they take it pretty seriously at home.

Personally, I could see games like Smash being made with competition in mind and doing well alongside the games being discussed in this thread. A lot of the rules that seem odd are in fighting game terms "infinite runaway" bans that are necessary because of the recovery mechanic. You could certainly take steps in the game to make those situations less exploitable for timer scams but Nintendo is philosophically opposed to playing Smash competitively (see added tripping from Melee to Brawl).

LastAshenHero
Apr 27, 2006
My Badge of Honour...

I'm trying to sell a PS3 Femme Fatale limited edition, and I have no idea what price to charge for it. Amazon previously had them going for like $600, which seems ridiculously steep.

Really, I'm just trying to get a 360 fight stick in its place, but I'd love it if I could sell it for $600 and just get two 360 sticks. :D Anybody have any idea what an appropriate value for this stick would be? It's in excellent condition, just some dirt in some of the creases on the stick, and aftermarket Sanwa buttons (black/grey instead of pink/white, though I kept the original buttons too).

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

LastAshenHero posted:

I'm trying to sell a PS3 Femme Fatale limited edition, and I have no idea what price to charge for it. Amazon previously had them going for like $600, which seems ridiculously steep.

Really, I'm just trying to get a 360 fight stick in its place, but I'd love it if I could sell it for $600 and just get two 360 sticks. :D Anybody have any idea what an appropriate value for this stick would be? It's in excellent condition, just some dirt in some of the creases on the stick, and aftermarket Sanwa buttons (black/grey instead of pink/white, though I kept the original buttons too).

Selling it on Shoryuken is your best bet. You're not going to get anything near $600 - people on Amazon can set whatever price they want in hopes of catching an idiot. At the end of the day it's a TE with a different color scheme and they've done quite a few "limited edition" sticks already.

What it ultimately ends up being worth is how much an avid collector is willing to pay for it. If it was pristine and had the original box, you could probably get more, but in the shape you're saying it is, it means your most likely market (ie stick collectors) probably won't want it.

LastAshenHero
Apr 27, 2006
My Badge of Honour...

Crackbone posted:

Selling it on Shoryuken is your best bet. You're not going to get anything near $600 - people on Amazon can set whatever price they want in hopes of catching an idiot. At the end of the day it's a TE with a different color scheme and they've done quite a few "limited edition" sticks already.

What it ultimately ends up being worth is how much an avid collector is willing to pay for it. If it was pristine and had the original box, you could probably get more, but in the shape you're saying it is, it means your most likely market (ie stick collectors) probably won't want it.

This is good advice, thank you.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

flatluigi posted:

When people say that it wasn't designed to be competitive, they literally mean that the guy that made the game took steps to prevent it from being competitive like adding in the controller port priority and random tripping.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

LastAshenHero posted:

This is good advice, thank you.

Just checked Shoryuken and I guess I forgot how much FG people will pay for boobs on a stick.

It actually looks like $200 is the bare minimum right now. I'd guess you can start it at $300 and sell without issue. People were saying that they can go higher on ebay, but the only completed listings I saw were new in box or pristine. One ended at $630 and the other wanted $750 and it didn't sell.

LastAshenHero
Apr 27, 2006
My Badge of Honour...

Crackbone posted:

Just checked Shoryuken and I guess I forgot how much FG people will pay for boobs on a stick.

It actually looks like $200 is the bare minimum right now. I'd guess you can start it at $300 and sell without issue. People were saying that they can go higher on ebay, but the only completed listings I saw were new in box or pristine. One ended at $630 and the other wanted $750 and it didn't sell.

Also, I have to put up with waiting 6 months to sell there.

Maybe I'll throw it up here at SA-Mart. Ideally, I'd really love to trade it for two 360 TE's. I suppose we'll see.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

flatluigi posted:

I think this gets brought up every time Smash gets mentioned, but there are elements of this kind of stuff in a lot of fighting games. Guilty Gear and HnK are the two biggest ones I know. Combos work differently between player sides in HnK, and in GG there are a bunch of strange things related to crossovers and hitboxes that only effect one side (or did, anyway, not sure how many still exist in AC).

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

When people say that it wasn't designed to be competitive, they literally mean that the guy that made the game took steps to prevent it from being competitive like adding in the controller port priority and random tripping.

I'm not sure the controller port priority was originally intended to be an anti-competitive element, since it has been in since the N64 game. Maybe they deliberately left it in for that reason though?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Brosnan posted:

So pretty much play on the stick the same way you type on a keyboard or play a piano and you won't have more regrets than you already have in life.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think this gets brought up every time Smash gets mentioned, but there are elements of this kind of stuff in a lot of fighting games.

Yeah, for example CvS2 has corner crossups that only player 2 can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Veib posted:

Yeah, for example CvS2 has corner crossups that only player 2 can do.

Aren't those "player 2 side's corner" only, not "the characters who are being controlled by the second player" only, though? At least, that's how I remember it.

• Locked thread