Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I've warmed up to rain riding slowly over the years and eventually got to the point where I would just throw a rain suit on and go to work. The first time I did it I could swear my back tire was hydroplaning constantly and was really uncomfortable with it, now it feels like my bike has more traction than my truck in the wet. It's just a matter of baby-steps, over the course of years.

For the visor my winter/waterproof gloves have the little wiper on the thumb, but I usually just turn my head to both sides and the rain beads off even without any rain-x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
RainX is good stuff! When your bike is your every day driver sometimes you have to ride in the rain. I'm from Georgia originally and the rain there is insane compared to where I'm at in Cali. I've got lots of experience with riding on wet roads, but everybody around me seems to become instantly retarded. I find rain makes other drivers far more dangerous to my health than the road.

When it rains I have a few extra safety rules I follow.
Double-triple following distance
Tap brakes even when engine braking to show tail lights
Lane split whenever possible

I don't really ride any slower although I do use a lot finer throttle control. I also avoid hard leans if I can.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I also add:

brake early and brake often with both brakes
smooth on ALL the controls. Very smooth. Gives you time to recover when traction isn't what you expected it to be.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

Now, the ride to DC! Which I plan to take again! Google Maps route
Switch back mountains, creaks, small towns, country roads, four states and beautiful scenery.

The high altitude points had snow, on the grass, the low altitude points were in spring, tree buds and flowers. Ask me what you want to know.

That looks like a beautiful ride. I usually head east from Pittsburgh because I'm coming from the northeast suburbs, then cut south through Somerset. The ride between Somerset and Cumberland Maryland is gorgeous. Beautiful rolling hills and nice sort of switchback along a ridgetop that winds between wind turbines.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ought ten posted:

That looks like a beautiful ride. I usually head east from Pittsburgh because I'm coming from the northeast suburbs, then cut south through Somerset. The ride between Somerset and Cumberland Maryland is gorgeous. Beautiful rolling hills and nice sort of switchback along a ridgetop that winds between wind turbines.

I know exactly where you're at. Because if you happen to find yourself in monroeville, you're stuck either going wide east or wide west to get south from there.

I tell you what, when you're on your bike those windmills are IMMENSE.

It's also one of the reasons why I love driving past Shippingsport and the cooling towers for the nuclear power plant.

I love our area.

Edit: ok maybe Sommerset county is a bit too far west for a detour south, but I hope you get my meaning. Also, I never realized just how far west I went on that ride. :stare:

VVVVV :)

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 8, 2012

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
After riding on the track in the rain I realize it's not that big of a deal, but I still won't take the bike out if the forecast is wet because I don't feel like getting soaked and getting the sniffles

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
Rain is not a big deal to me anymore, not after my first couple months on a bike. If you live in Seattle and refuse to ride when it's wet, well, you aren't going to get much riding done.

Black ice, however, is a big deal. That poo poo scared the living hell out of me this morning. The rest of the roads were dry and safe but the 99 bridge was like walking a greasy tightrope.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

deliverator posted:

Rain is not a big deal to me anymore, not after my first couple months on a bike. If you live in Seattle and refuse to ride when it's wet, well, you aren't going to get much riding done.

Black ice, however, is a big deal. That poo poo scared the living hell out of me this morning. The rest of the roads were dry and safe but the 99 bridge was like walking a greasy tightrope.

I've rode through rain that had 18 wheelers pulled over on the side of the road, but holy poo poo does the thought of hitting ice scare me.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Last summer on my way to the ferry in Travemünde, on the autobahn from Hamburg, it poured down hard enough for the regular traffic to slow down to below 80 kmh, but I had a ferry to catch so I averaged between 160 and 180. :downs:

And then two weeks later, my front wheel washed out on the go cart track in the wet. Now I freeze up and go 30 below the speed limit as soon as I see wet tarmac... :ohdear:

gently caress you mind, gently caress you.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

invision posted:

I've rode through rain that had 18 wheelers pulled over on the side of the road, but holy poo poo does the thought of hitting ice scare me.

Yep. I have zero problems about riding in cold, wet or nasty. However, I won't gently caress around with icy roads.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Hughmoris posted:

Yep. I have zero problems about riding in cold, wet or nasty. However, I won't gently caress around with icy roads.
That is the reason i'm not riding today. And it is a bummer.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

invision posted:

Try a freak hailstorm in the middle of a desert :(

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Did you at least have a full-face helmet?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

x-post by request from the "what did you do to your ride today? thread."

First off:

I think I ran 12 kinda hot, made it through, but came out to the inside of keyhole. I remember hitting a peg feeler, thinking "foot up, knee down, lean harder" Then I remember running off the right side of the track before the turn in for 11, then thinking "oh poo poo, I'm in the dirt, stand it up!" then "Hah okay I got this I'm just going to go straight and run off the other side" since my front tire was at the curtain for keyhole. Next thing you know I'm doing the superman three feet off of the ground, remember smacking my head into the concrete with my teeth clinched wondering how many teeth I just broke, then all of a sudden I'm standing up looking for my battery and my seat.

Problem is, I'm pretty sure I made most of that up while I was bouncing off the asphalt. In reality I have no drat idea what happened.

Guess I just hit the battery ejection switch on accident and it blew me off of the bike

Ultimately though, it really boils down to me getting overconfident. Didn't pay enough attention to my tire pressure either, which is inexcusable and some total rookie poo poo. I'm going to tape "CHECK TIRE PRESSURE" across the tank for next time, and figure out some way to keep myself in check.

Also I'd like to think switch for picking up my bike after I looked at it and decided "gently caress it, it can stay there" then went searching for my GoPro.

Now if anyone has some SV parts lying around, I'm in the market.

Do I get frequent flyer miles for posting in here so much?

Damage:
Tank
Upper Fairing
Windscreen
Brake Fluid Reservoir
Subframe bent to the left
Grab bar smashed into the tial
Tail cracked
Mud and grass stuck between the wheels and tires

invision fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 19, 2012

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
The GoPro was... on right?

-CHECK TIRE PRESSURE
-TURN ON GOPRO

Have you reviewed the footage?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

You have a battery ejection button? O.O

Hope its not too expensive to fix and you weren't hurt too bad.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Ziploc posted:

The GoPro was... on right?

-CHECK TIRE PRESSURE
-TURN ON GOPRO

Have you reviewed the footage?

Yeah it was still recording when we picked it up. Except theres no footage from about 10 seconds before the crash.

e:I would like to say that I was hauling rear end right before though.

e2:I don't really have a battery eject button. But the battery and the seat were like 20 feet away from the bike. It literally ripped the battery cables and the seat off trying to escape.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Pm me with your parts needed list. I have tons of spares and full plastics.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Glad you're ok, that's the important thing. Bike's fixable, not the end of the world. I don't have many G2 spares but I have a couple of odds and ends, post up with what you need when you start fixing it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
After posting in here and answer the questions I hoped to never see SALR light it up again.

Glad you are ok man. Glad to see you're looking to rebuild it. Glad to see you are learning from it. You'll never forget to check your pressure again.

Did you get away clean on injuries?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
invision, how did your gear hold up?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
This weekend had a couple of motorcycle fatalities in my area along with several more bad wrecks. One of the fatalities was a friend of mine from middle school. He was going pretty quickly through an area of our city that has become more pedestrian in the last couple years, hit a speed bump, lost control and emptied the contents of his skull. His passenger sustained similar injuries but she at least got a helicopter ride out of the deal before cooking it. Neither wearing helmets, I like to think he wouldn't have been instantly killed if he was wearing one.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This weekend had a couple of motorcycle fatalities in my area along with several more bad wrecks. One of the fatalities was a friend of mine from middle school. He was going pretty quickly through an area of our city that has become more pedestrian in the last couple years, hit a speed bump, lost control and emptied the contents of his skull. His passenger sustained similar injuries but she at least got a helicopter ride out of the deal before cooking it. Neither wearing helmets, I like to think he wouldn't have been instantly killed if he was wearing one.

Most likely they would have both walked away from it if they were wearing full gear. It's really awful to hear about people effectively committing suicide like that.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

SlightlyMadman posted:

Most likely they would have both walked away from it if they were wearing full gear. It's really awful to hear about people effectively committing suicide like that.

Yeah, it's pretty striking evidence when you can tell who had the right gear on when the kid doing highway speeds who low-sides into the ditch walks away and these two, at probably 20 or 30 miles an hour, were both dead instantly.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Jeez, sorry to hear someone you knew dies for something as silly as no helmet.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Friend was test riding a Thruxton, I was behind him on his GS450, for some reason he dinged the rear brake with his foot accidentally while turning left after a red light and went down, not having ridden in a couple months I panicked and instead of running him over LAYER 'ER DOWN, on my foot, which ain't half bad but he has to pay like 1200€ in damage for the Thruxton and is probably not gonna buy it. I'm really lucky, I was thinking of test riding a Scrambler, crashing that woulda probably also cost me quite a bit. Another scratch on the Suzuki, no big deal, the thing cost half of what the damages (mainly Shift lever, clutch cover, left pipe) of the Thruxton were. Of course I wasn't wearing proper gear so my foot is sprained, but at least not broken, got it X-rayed. Looks lovely though.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Wow! What kind of foot wear did you have on?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Had a small get off today on the DRZ while offroading. I was descending from about 3300' and I came up on a really tight hairpin, the road below was actually at 2400'. The turn drops almost 900' and there is actually a monstrous hill climb from the bottom road to the top.

Anyways I was coming up to the hairpin and trying to slow down a bit and just caught a rut. I felt it kick me hard and I knew I couldn't save it so I tried to minimize the damage by locking up the brakes before it lost contact with the rubber. This worked better than I expected and I managed to get it down to 10-15 mph from 25-30 mph before I lost it.

I dove off to avoid getting pinned and to make sure I hit my dominant side. I managed to get into crash position before I hit and I absorbed most of the impact between my bicep and the hard armor on my elbow/shoulder. I have a lot of experience with falling and this one went according to plan. I was up and had the bike switched off in less than 5 seconds after impact. I stood it up, jumped on it and rode down the hairpin until I could find somewhere to pull over. I've seen the guys in pre-runners run through these trails at 40-50 mph and I didn't want to be on the blind side of a hairpin if one of them came up.

I got to the bottom pulled off and gave the bike a good check. No damage except my already cracked mirror was a little more cracked. I'm home now and there's no bruising but I'm sore and I think I tucked my wrist badly when I muscled up for the hit, it's fairly sore but I'm confident there's no permanent damage.

My gear held up well, I was wearing street gear but it's well armored and has an 800+ denier count. My biggest issue was tearing off a small rivet cover on my boot. I REALLY need to get some MX boots, hopefully this little incident convinces my wife to let me spend the cash for them.

I wasn't hurt so I kept riding for awhile. I went to the end of that trail and on my way back I took revenge on that bastard hill by doing the hillclimb, it was fairly intense. I started in 4th and ended in 1st WoT the whole way. I feel so out of practice but it was good to survive my first real offroad ride in about 6 years.

Ride safe fellas (and fellettes?)!

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Crayvex posted:

Wow! What kind of foot wear did you have on?

Winter shoes basically, think kinda like these

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

niethan posted:

You've got 26 bones and 33 joints in that left swollen and hairy thing.

Not all structural injuries are immediately obvious when x-rayed. Is that thing totally black in the soft tissue at the sole?

Are you able to stand on your toes on that disgusting thing if you're supported for balance?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Sir Cornelius posted:

You've got 26 bones and 33 joints in that left swollen and hairy thing.

Not all structural injuries are immediately obvious when x-rayed. Is that thing totally black in the soft tissue at the sole?

Are you able to stand on your toes on that disgusting thing if you're supported for balance?

It's not black and blue at the bottom of the foot.
I can walk if I use the heel of my left foot. Still hurts though.
Here are some new pics from yesterday, the day after the crash.
http://imgur.com/a/bL32b
I just tried standing only on the toes of my broken foot, with the other one in the air, and it hurt like a motherfucker, so thanks for that bro

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

niethan posted:

It's not black and blue at the bottom of the foot.
I can walk if I use the heel of my left foot. Still hurts though.
Here are some new pics from yesterday, the day after the crash.
http://imgur.com/a/bL32b
I just tried standing only on the toes of my broken foot, with the other one in the air, and it hurt like a motherfucker, so thanks for that bro

Broken feet really suck, make sure you keep it elevated. Heal quick and get back on the bike man.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
It's already much better today, doc was right it's healing really fast. Also I got some bigass boots so this poo poo doesn't happen again

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

niethan posted:

It's already much better today, doc was right it's healing really fast. Also I got some bigass boots so this poo poo doesn't happen again

MX boots are where it's at. They are on top of my gear list atm.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

niethan posted:

Also I got some bigass boots so this poo poo doesn't happen again

Something about your avatar tells me it'll happen again. Sinisalo MX boots are nice though.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Just noticed I cracked my top clamp on the DRZ, had to have happened when I put it down Sat. It's small but it goes all the way through.

Time to upgrade! http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=handguards&sid=j50lgba3644qcnv6ka9mkqu55fi5ggdo

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Sorry for the double post, a coworker of mine that rides just told me about this.

http://www.ksby.com/news/los-osos-motorcycle-crash-victim-identified/#!prettyPhoto/0/

I knew this guy and I absolutely cannot figure out how he crashed. I ride this road every single day, this is right after the turn onto Turri from the 2 lane main road, Los Osos Valley Rd. There isn't a curve or anything, this guy was a pretty drat good rider too. This has hit close to home for me, Ride safe everyone.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Maybe he was run off the road by an invisible oblivious driver?

xd fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 27, 2012

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

xd posted:

Maybe he was run off the road by an invisible oblivious driver?
There's always the possibility of a medical situation, at 59 years old a heart attack or something similar is a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

cheesebot posted:

There's always the possibility of a medical situation, at 59 years old a heart attack or something similar is a possibility.

That's what I was thinking. The road is a monster, but not where he was at. It was one of 3 things: Mechanical failure, rider error or a medical condition. The only rider error I can think of would be breaking the wheel loose and loosing control. The video said the driver watched him just drift off the side before the guard rail.

• Locked thread