Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HypnoCabbage posted:

You might consider not swallowing POGs anytime soon.

I never got into Ghostwriter that much, though I appreciated it for what it was. A little too old for it when it came out, I guess.

I remember that the first episode featured Max Wright of ALF fame (he was the dad), which made me laugh uncontrollably as it was his first role after getting busted for smoking crack while naked with a prostitute, which I remembered from a tabloid I had seen years earlier in the supermarket with my mother. There were photos of him enjoying the hell out of that crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

HypnoCabbage posted:

You might consider not swallowing POGs anytime soon.

I never got into Ghostwriter that much, though I appreciated it for what it was. A little too old for it when it came out, I guess.

The best part of that link, besides the actual Ghostwriter show is for sale, is the fact that there are Wishbone DVDs. Speaking as a child who owned 30+ of the books, I am loving stoked. I've read so many classics after being exposed to the Wishbone adaptation, that I credit that show with instilling my love of reading. Good dog, best educator.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Discotek get the rights to Samurai Pizza Cats, prove themselves better than Zombie ADV and Funimation combined.

Also new is the Subtitled version that is getting a separate boxset.

And, yes, it's the same Discotek that licensed Game Center CX and is currently releasing old anime out the wizzo hole.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Wow, I knew they were doing Pizza Cats, but not Game Center CX. I am delighted for both.

Most of the networks had their upfronts this month, and I've been thinking of doing a new thread because of it. Either way, the big development appears to be that Disney's actually becoming a serious contender in TV animation again and they have a bunch of big names in their corner now, the biggest of all is Craig McCracken.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ultimate Spider-man trailer.

http://youtu.be/blqtSGHfFlc

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I had to watch Alpha and Omega today. I never thought that a movie based on romeo and Juliet with racial undertones could be that bad. I literally wanted to slam my face into a wall to stop the pain. The howling at the moon scene may in fact be the worst movie song ever made.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The MSJ posted:

Ultimate Spider-man trailer.

http://youtu.be/blqtSGHfFlc

Uh, well it uh,

It looks like it takes a lot of style hints from Teen Titans. Which I don't particularly care for.
And putting the Iron Spider suit in the Ultimate continuity bothers the hell out of me.

I don't really like the looks of it, but time will tell.

Would've been better if they had just made more episodes of Spectacular.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Neo Helbeast posted:

I had to watch Alpha and Omega today. I never thought that a movie based on romeo and Juliet with racial undertones could be that bad. I literally wanted to slam my face into a wall to stop the pain. The howling at the moon scene may in fact be the worst movie song ever made.
Question is, though, is it worse than Gnomeo and Juliet?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Zeether posted:

Question is, though, is it worse than Gnomeo and Juliet?

Yes. Yes it is.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Neo Helbeast posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

The "howling" clips at the end just gave me brain cancer, thanks.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
It seems that Cartoon Network cribbed some notes off of Nickelodeon, because according to voice actor Andy Merrill, they're starting a 90's nostalgia block too:

quote:

I just thought some people would be excited about Brak and Zorak returning for the network's 20th anniversary.

@RevNickie Friday, March 30 at 8 eastern on Cartoon Network.....not Adult Swim.

On the CN backdoor schedule:

quote:

March 30th:

Cow and Chicken - Happy Meat
The Powerpuff Girls - Meat the Beat Alls
Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends - Sight for Sore Eyes
Johnny Bravo - Johnny Bravo Meets Adam West
Dexter's Laboratory - Star Spangled Sidekicks

Really hoping George Lowe is attached to this to make a full Space Ghost C2C reunion :allears:

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 16, 2012

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If George Lowe can spend all that time recording bumpers for WZLX he can come back as Space Ghost. :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to have my rose-tinted glasses knocked off and realize that Johnny Bravo was really kinda meh.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Just gonna say: The Aquabats Super Show is loving amazing. I was a huge fan of their music as a kid growing up in California (hell, a good family friend's brother was apparently part of the band at one point) and this is literally the best thing I have ever seen on TV.

(Besides Archer because, well, ARCHER. v:shobon:v)

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Neo Helbeast posted:

Yup. The mother wolf is kind of a cool character, too, to the point where you feel bad that she had to be in this movie. The duck and the goose, too.

Arguably, it wasn't as terrible as the trailers made it look, but it was still bland, bland, bland, with creepy Christian undertones.

And yes, Gnomeo and Juliet is still a more competent and enjoyable film than Alpha and Omega.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Apparently CN aired an advert with some rather interesting messages. :tinfoil:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
OK, so I just finished season 1 of Wakfu.

Yeah, it's pretty drat good once you get over the odd choice in animation styles. Seriously, check it out. It's worth the time investment.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Zeether posted:

Apparently CN aired an advert with some rather interesting messages. :tinfoil:

I guess that's cool, but what I'm really curious out is whether or not this is legit or some fan being a teasing rear end in a top hat. I've contacted John Dilworth (the creator of Courage) via e-mail before and he eventually responds to every single one I've sent in the past. (he's a real sport) I e-mailed him a week or two ago asking whether it was real or not so as soon as I know I'll of course tell everyone else of it's legitimacy.

In the last e-mail I got from him he did have this to say:(I basically just asked if if any more seasons of Courage would ever come to DVD)

"Regarding Courage. There is some noise about something new, but nothing to get excited about right now. Should anything substantial develop you will know of it!"

Dunno if he's trying to downplay the fact there's a new season to get us more excited or what, but I really hope he's talking about the same thing in the teaser. (and basically what I asked him)

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 18, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Thing is, if Toonami were to come back, what would they air? The broadcast rights for most of the anime they used to show (Gundam, Tenchi, etc) have got to be expired now, unless they're calling the return of the Cartoon Cartoon stuff "Toonami"...

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zeether posted:

Thing is, if Toonami were to come back, what would they air? The broadcast rights for most of the anime they used to show (Gundam, Tenchi, etc) have got to be expired now, unless they're calling the return of the Cartoon Cartoon stuff "Toonami"...

Almost all of the anime right now is in limbo due to Japan still being in the shitter, the American economy, american licencing companies going bankrupt/being in court, and just a real lack of anything good in the past few seasons.

Most of what Adult Swim aired could be put on Toonami, FMA Bortherhood and Durarara would be something that would meet standards easily, this is also assuming they dont take Clone Wars and Thundercats, or Young Justice and put them on Toonami. Also speaking of Toonami, remember the illfated bastard child of Tooonami called Miguzi? That had to be one of the most awful blocks establsihed on CN

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 18, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Well they could always try One Piece yet again now that it has 100% less Pirate Rap. Or hell, maybe even beat some sense into Bandai and get them to start work on translating Turn A Gundam again.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh boy, another Gundam series to do miserably in ratings and be pulled halfway through its run.

I suspect it will be a bunch of "light action" western shows that CN seems to make now. Thundercats, repeats of that week's Young Justice, some Generator Rex or Ben 10 show and maybe FMA, Bleach, or One Piece. Of course that is assuming it is a one day a week thing, so the Shonens would take forever to get anywhere. What I'd love though is for them to get the rights to Wakfu and air that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cliff Racer posted:

Oh boy, another Gundam series to do miserably in ratings and be pulled halfway through its run.

Wait, what Gundam failed? Wing was a huge success and G Gundam made it to the end. I know I'm forgetting some, but I thought Gundam had a pretty good track record in the US.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Are we talking about Toonami? In that case,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aBDbeK1igc&list=FLwYBQDvsMmeISjQPkJpR1yw&index=184&feature=plpp_video

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

TwoPair posted:

Wait, what Gundam failed? Wing was a huge success and G Gundam made it to the end. I know I'm forgetting some, but I thought Gundam had a pretty good track record in the US.

Wing and G were successes, but they were practically the only ones that were. Among other mishandlings, after Wing and G proved to be hits Bandai pretty much tried to force the original series onto Toonami and it went over like a lead balloon, and that sort of killed Gundam in the US insofar as no series could ever get anywhere near the success that Wing or even G had. Toonami got Seed later on but that was, well, Seed, and it didn't do so well. Even as a kid I thought Seed was dreadfully boring and I didn't know anyone who liked it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I honestly think they could do right by One Piece if they run that as the new DBZ. I think the market's healed on that one.

Alternatively, get Sgt. Frog do some very light editing (going by late old Toonami standards, I think they could get away with "stupid [beeping] Kululu") and you got yourself a breakout action-comedy with a metric gently caress'ton of merchandise opportunities and a chance for Bandai to do Gunpla right.

Outside bets; Inazuma Eleven (has a dub) and Wakfu (would sell "Toonami in HD" like no one's business)

Course, that's assuming CN aren't being cunts, theres always that possibility, sadly.

Actauly; has anyone actauly gotten a fix on this being on TV? The only Youtube versions I can see striked me as very...doctored. That CN Logo in the bottom is far too clean.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 18, 2012

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
There was also that chibi gundam show that was terrible.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Well Manicured Man posted:

Wing and G were successes, but they were practically the only ones that were. Among other mishandlings, after Wing and G proved to be hits Bandai pretty much tried to force the original series onto Toonami and it went over like a lead balloon, and that sort of killed Gundam in the US insofar as no series could ever get anywhere near the success that Wing or even G had. Toonami got Seed later on but that was, well, Seed, and it didn't do so well. Even as a kid I thought Seed was dreadfully boring and I didn't know anyone who liked it.

The American Gundam adds for the model kits and other things were just embarassing.

One add gave a rundown of every pilot in the shows(including the awful Live Action movie) and had some technobabble bar graph to give a statistic. One of the statistics listed was "Girlfriend" in which the hotness of said girlfirend in the series was ranked. To further add to this they even bothered to pack the DVDs with a similar advert on paper.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I will never, ever forgive Cartoon Network for canning The Big O. Never.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

McSpanky posted:

I will never, ever forgive Cartoon Network for canning The Big O. Never.

I will. The second season was poo poo from what I recall.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sockser posted:

Would've been better if they had just made more episodes of Spectacular.

I can't think of a single situation in which "more episodes of Spectacular" would be better than anything.

Behonkiss posted:

I will. The second season was poo poo from what I recall.

Yeah, Big O was a mercy killing.

Well Manicured Man posted:

I liked 08 MS Team, that was pretty much the only one I really liked. I think they aired a Gundam series on that ill-fated Syfy Animonday block too, but all I remember of it is that I watched several episodes and had no loving clue what was going on.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 19, 2012

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The second season of The Big O was a lot weaker than the first, but I wouldn't call it poo poo. The plot went to hell in a handbasket, but the season premier and the super robot parody episode were worth it.

The biggest problem with the second season is that the more serial episodes are a lot less fun than the monster-of-the-week episodes from the first season, in part because the plot starts to smell pretty early on. I don't know, I'd like to think a third season could have at least partially redeemed it, but that was like eight years ago and there's no point living in the past.

Edit: Also the second season had the Big Duo Inferno, that was pretty cool even though Alan Gabriel was a much less interesting character than Schwarzwald.

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011

raditts posted:

I liked 08 MS Team, that was pretty much the only one I really liked. I think they aired a Gundam series on that ill-fated Syfy Animonday block too, but all I remember of it is that I watched several episodes and had no loving clue what was going on.

Does that series feature a main character that insists he's Gundam and the word "Innovator"? That's probably Gundam 00.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Big O season 1 and Season 2 are both completely fantastic and I will not hear otherwise.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sockser posted:

Big O season 1 and Season 2 are both completely fantastic and I will not hear otherwise.

No it was poo poo, the Japanese Studio had this big loving epic ending planned that involved Paradigm City being shut down after the big battle and everything being revealed to the populace that everything was staged but it had it's reasons(which was in the name of protection). They were going to get into how the war ravaged the outside world and that Paradigm was created as a perfect haven to sheild everyone from the outside. The guy who created the city realised he couldn't control the people any longer(he wanted people to have a peaceful place to live out their lives away from the horrors of war, but the end result became twisted from the original intentions), so he decides to open the dome and give people a choice to leave or to go. Thats how it was supposed to end

They wound up cutting it short due to budgeting reasons. And you got a halfassed ending.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 19, 2012

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vaerai Archon posted:

No it was poo poo, the Japanese Studio had this big loving epic ending planned that involved Paradigm City being shut down after the big battle and everything being revealed to the populace that everything was staged but it had it's reasons(which was in the name of protection). They were going to get into how the war ravaged the outside world and that Paradigm was created as a perfect haven to sheild everyone from the outside. The guy who created the city realised he couldn't control the people any longer(he wanted people to have a peaceful place to live out their lives away from the horrors of war, but the end result became twisted from the original intentions), so he decides to open the dome and give people a choice to leave or to go. Thats how it was supposed to end

They wound up cutting it short due to budgeting reasons. And you got a halfassed ending.

Got any sources on this? Regardless, that doesn't make the two seasons we got any less rad. Even if the second season got a little crappier, I still fuckin' love Big O.

I still think it's amazing that an anime was popular enough in the US that CN actually helped produce a second season in the first place. It's a shame that the ratings just didn't come like they did for S1 (at least, that's what I assume happened).

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

TwoPair posted:

I still think it's amazing that an anime was popular enough in the US that CN actually helped produce a second season in the first place. It's a shame that the ratings just didn't come like they did for S1 (at least, that's what I assume happened).

Actually, the ratings were steady through the entire run, Williams Street just wanted to make cheaper programming instead of financing another full season.

The moral is, gently caress Adult Swim.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I guess I'm just a sucker for cyclical stories (I also love Dark Tower!) :shobon:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Vaerai Archon posted:

I thought the ending was put off because the writers were so sure there was going to be a third season that they put in what we got in season 2 instead, planning to put the real ending in season 3, and welp, we know how that worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Hell, at the time anime did so well that CN actually green lit a few (two or three) shows from scratch. One of them was absolutely godawful but IGPX was pretty good, if a bit slow. And if they ever get super desperate for programing they could reair it as they will never lose the rights.