Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've regularly heard that Bub from Day of the Dead makes a cameo in one of the later Romero films, showing that once everything went pear-shaped in DotD, he became a plaything of other survivors. I'm not crazy interested in renting Romero's later zombie films, but I'd like to know if this is true, regardless.

Thing is, I've done some googling on the issue, and I've come up with a lot of mentions of it, but no screenshots or anything.

Is it true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

MisterBibs posted:

I've regularly heard that Bub from Day of the Dead makes a cameo in one of the later Romero films, showing that once everything went pear-shaped in DotD, he became a plaything of other survivors. I'm not crazy interested in renting Romero's later zombie films, but I'd like to know if this is true, regardless.

Thing is, I've done some googling on the issue, and I've come up with a lot of mentions of it, but no screenshots or anything.

Is it true?

I know Tom Savini's character from Dawn of the Dead appears in Land of the Dead, but that was the last one I saw.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

If I recall correctly, there were a lot people who mistook Simon Pegg's zombie cameo in Land of the Dead as being Bub. He doesn't look exactly like him, but there is a slight resemblance.

Sidenote: There is some very clear Bub-influence on Pegg's zombie impression in Shaun of the Dead.

People seem pretty split on Land of the Dead, but I think it's great, and well worth checking out.

You can skip Diary and Survival, though.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Anyone have a take on the ending of Possession? It seems that the death of Mark and Anna, leaving only their doubles(?) unleashed the apocalypse? I really didn't understand certain aspects of that movie, especially all of Mark's actions after he visits the secret apartment. I mean, I guess its easy enough to say that he was also "possessed", but I'm guessing I may have missed some of the plot and or some of the political overtones in the movie.

All that said, everyone needs to watch Possession, if only to see Sam Neill rock the gently caress out of some rocking chairs.

EDIT:

OH, wait! I think I get it.

The whole thing is an allegory for divorce in that it violently changes Mark and Anna into COMPLETELY different people and in the process it kills their child which is basically the end of the world.

foodfight fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 10, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Are there any films that focus around directing or a director? I know there's some that focus around acting (The Artist comes to mind) but aside from the Aviator I can't really think of any that have a director as the protagonist/main focus of the film.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

computer parts posted:

Are there any films that focus around directing or a director? I know there's some that focus around acting (The Artist comes to mind) but aside from the Aviator I can't really think of any that have a director as the protagonist/main focus of the film.

8 1/2 is a great place to start. It also inspired a lot of other excellent movies on the topic, like Stardust Memories and All That Jazz.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 12, 2012

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ditto on 8 1/2. Day for Night is another solid choice.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Also: Ed Wood, Incident at Loch Less, Beware of a Holy Whore, The State of Things.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's been a while but Cinema Paradisso?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

weekly font posted:

It's been a while but Cinema Paradisso?
YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR!

(good movie though)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

fenix down posted:

YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR!

(good movie though)

He totally is a filmmaker of some kind. Producer maybe? It's not really about making films though.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

computer parts posted:

How about Living in Oblivion, and The Big Picture?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

computer parts posted:

It's been said already, but for the love of God watch 8 1/2.

Also, since you didn't say anything ruling out documentaries, watch Burden of Dreams.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

It's been said already, but for the love of God watch 8 1/2.

Also, since you didn't say anything ruling out documentaries, watch Burden of Dreams.

And Lost in La Mancha.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

computer parts posted:

Synecdoche, New York

Adaptation, sort of. Focuses on screenwriting as opposed to directing though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

computer parts posted:

Matinee is currently streaming on Netflix.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

computer parts posted:

Bowfinger taught me more about filmmaking than 4 years of film school.

Not even a joke.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

I think the movie you want is Sex is Comedy. It's a movie solely about a director trying her best to film a sex scene between two actors that don't like each other. The film is a bit of an ego trip (it's based on the real experiences of the director of the film) but overall it's a film that's completely about the process of directing and what it's like to be a director. It's also on Netflix streaming.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ynohtna posted:

How about Living in Oblivion, and The Big Picture?

Couldn't remember this title for the life of me, thank you. This is a comedy, and a very strange one at that, but I get the feeling that the director (as played by Steve Buscemi) is probably closer to truth than I'd ever believe.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Hibernator posted:

If I recall correctly, there were a lot people who mistook Simon Pegg's zombie cameo in Land of the Dead as being Bub. He doesn't look exactly like him, but there is a slight resemblance.

Sidenote: There is some very clear Bub-influence on Pegg's zombie impression in Shaun of the Dead.

People seem pretty split on Land of the Dead, but I think it's great, and well worth checking out.

You can skip Diary and Survival, though.

For me, Land is a film that seems better in retrospect because of how terrible Diary and Survival were.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

ogopogo posted:

Not even a joke.

My brain processed that as "Bulworth" and I was confused as hell for a few minutes

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

ogopogo posted:

Not even a joke.

It certainly taught me how to save money on a crew.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Not even a joke.

There has to be a "Gotcha, suckers!" joke in here somewhere.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

...as a double feature with Hearts of Darkness.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Glass Joe posted:

There has to be a "Gotcha, suckers!" joke in here somewhere.

The state university system/lovely professors to film students, "Gotcha, suckers!"

Honestly, it's surprising how much stuff in Bowfinger I've pulled off or been a part of in real life.

I love my job.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

computer parts posted:

Terror Firmer, by Lloyd Kaufman. Incidentally, based on his own book "All I Need To Know about Filmmaking I Learned from the Toxic Avenger". It's also a 100% true story.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ogopogo posted:

The state university system/lovely professors to film students, "Gotcha, suckers!"

Honestly, it's surprising how much stuff in Bowfinger I've pulled off or been a part of in real life.

I love my job.

If you can share any of those stories that'd be awesome. I love a good guerrilla filmmaking story.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Senso posted:

Terror Firmer, by Lloyd Kaufman. Incidentally, based on his own book "All I Need To Know about Filmmaking I Learned from the Toxic Avenger". It's also a 100% true story.

Pretty much any of the behind the scenes documentaries on Troma productions are worth a look. The one for Citizen Toxie is a tad overlong, but the one for Poultrygeist is as at least as good as the Terror Firmer one. They really make you feel for Lloyd Kaufman, and he looks like he's going to explode at any moment. How a man in his late 60s has any patience for working on a set comprised of college degenerates working for free is something I will never understand.

But, hey, at least it makes for some interesting movies.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

I'm having a hard time recalling the relationship between catharsis and a tragic ending. If you have a film where nothing but horrible things happen to the protagonist and then end it with something cruel like killing them even as they think they would be saved, is cartharsis supposed to have been achieved by now?

Just to keep from spoiling the movie I'm speaking about, I'll make a random example of it as the protagonist spends the story strung up above hungry wolves. For the next 90 minutes, his captors parade his whole family in front of him and kill them off. Then after everything about his life has been destroyed, they say they'll let him go and cut the rope so he falls into the pit of wolves and is torn apart painfully. The end.

So has catharsis been achieved because I feel like that's just a lovely way to go and better him than me? Or, If I'm understanding the definition of catharsis, to achieve it, you either have to have your protagonist accepting after all their struggles that they deserve to die or make the audience feel like they can relate emotionally to the characters death something more than just "Well gently caress, that sucks for him." Or I could be completely misunderstanding what catharsis is.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 18, 2012

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think catharsis in film is usually more along the lines of someone doing something horrible and then finally getting retribution. The end of Robocop, for example, or Running Man. That's my definition, anyways - someone being horribly unfair and evil who gets all hosed up, like a revenge-orgasm.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was watching J Edger last week, and I remember reading an interview with Eastwood before the film came out where they asked "are you going to show that Hoover was gay?" and Eastwood said something like "oh it will be suggested, but you will have to make up your own mind". Its certainly subtext for a lot of the film, but it becomes text near the end.

Or is what Eastwood thinks is suggested is just obvious to me?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

twistedmentat posted:

I was watching J Edger last week, and I remember reading an interview with Eastwood before the film came out where they asked "are you going to show that Hoover was gay?" and Eastwood said something like "oh it will be suggested, but you will have to make up your own mind". Its certainly subtext for a lot of the film, but it becomes text near the end.

Or is what Eastwood thinks is suggested is just obvious to me?

It's kinda like the movie CAPOTE where they try to play both sides but ultimately fail at playing either.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is this the right place to ask people's opinions of a film you haven't seen but are contemplating seeing? Sorry if it isn't.
I tried looking for any discussion regarding this movie but couldn't find anything.

I'm referring to the 2011 Austrian film that screened in Cannes to much controversy, Michael. A lot of people seem to hate it, some compare it to Funny Games. I really like Michael Haneke's work and the films of Gaspar Noe and I'm a huge fan of both Funny Games films...but I'm not sure if Michael is actually worth seeing or just a lame exploitative movie trying too hard to be dark/shocking/controversial/etc.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 19, 2012

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Is this the right place to ask people's opinions of a film you haven't seen but are contemplating seeing? Sorry if it isn't.
I tried looking for any discussion regarding this movie but couldn't find anything.

I'm referring to the 2011 Austrian film that screened in Cannes to much controversy, Michael. A lot of people seem to hate it, some compare it to Funny Games. I really like Michael Haneke's work and the films of Gaspar Noe and I'm a huge fan of both Funny Games films...but I'm not sure if Michael is actually worth seeing or just a lame exploitative movie trying too hard to be dark/shocking/controversial/etc.

My friend saw this in Chicago and really loved it, but he's really hyperbolic and couldn't really give much of a compelling reason as to why he thought it was much more than a Haneke wanna-be.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NeuroticErotica posted:

It's kinda like the movie CAPOTE where they try to play both sides but ultimately fail at playing either.

I never saw Capote, but wasn't he out proud and out loud for everyone to know?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

The title of the film is kind of misleading. It should have been called "A fictionalized version of the writing of In Cold Blood."

...okay that's a terrible title, but that's what the movie is!

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

twistedmentat posted:

Not in this version. He meets Perry Smith and kinda looks at him for a while and you're supposed to decide whether he's in love with him or he's just ultra-sympathetic towards him.

Newsweek called it "bold", but in reality, it was in the two-year span of movies that were scared to take any sort of even semi-political position to avoid the backlash and polarization that Fahrenheit 9/11 brought with it. A lot of Producers and Studios were refusing to let anything take a stand, so you get all this "hinting" and "implying", but it's really holding back and making films pretty much pointless.

Infamous, which was produced at the same time but got held up in distribution told the story so well and made it heartbreaking. How? By making a loving point.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

That was a pretty dire couple of years, where it seemed like every star or semi-star was involved in a vanity project that had them doing a scenery-chewing impersonation in an otherwise generic movie. Those obviously still exist (hello, J. Edgar), but the market seems to have cooled down a touch.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's just weird. That's like making a movie about Oscar Wilde or Liberace and just ignoring the gay part. Well, I guess Liberace would make a point of him denying it, but still.

I honestly really enjoyed J Edgar, mostly because I love any kind of early 20th century period piece, and I was always fascinated by the Lindbergh Baby Case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

The film presented Capote as being in a serious relationship and living with a man, so I'm not sure why other posters have said that he wasn't "out".