Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

Abalieno posted:

The interview is very interesting, especially the part where he explain names and some of the tropes.

But I think you guys would enjoy more this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlJblxV3QHQ

Minute 3:40 ;)

That loving laugh of his, goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Well they did insert a brand new Lannister "Alton" who might be involved with this plot. Got to love the rules of TV where tangents just aren't allowed to exist, even if they dovetail with the narrative later on.

I choose to picture this new Lannister as Alton Brown, to fit Gurm's love of food.

Cashtool
Jun 2, 2006
Gridironfans

Abalieno posted:

The interview is very interesting, especially the part where he explain names and some of the tropes.

But I think you guys would enjoy more this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlJblxV3QHQ

Minute 3:40 ;)

Also, minute 12:25 he says exactly what was in this previous post:

I think Martin lets slip about the Aegon / Dany issue in Part 2 of the interview (when discussing what has happened to the Starks, Lannisters and Baratheons).

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

Oh my god, I can't believe that that is his voice.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

empty sea posted:

There is nothing Robb can do to seem anything but ridiculously idiotic. Even the actor has that perfect Determined But Stupid face. Oh, you Starks. Too honorable to take the Iron Throne while you had the chance, too stupid to live. :love:

I can't wait for the Red Wedding.

Yeah, but if it's a Lannister there's the potential hostage situation, the potential for backdoor communications, etc. etc. If it's some nobody he has literally no strategic reason, even idiotic ones, that really drives home his honor bullshit.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Ashrik posted:

Oh my god, I can't believe that that is his voice.

Now I'm going to read everything he writes in his voice and I'm going to hate myself.

3.45 mark is gold.

Octy fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 19, 2012

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
George RR. Martin rules!

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

whowhatwhere posted:

Yeah, but if it's a Lannister there's the potential hostage situation, the potential for backdoor communications, etc. etc. If it's some nobody he has literally no strategic reason, even idiotic ones, that really drives home his honor bullshit.

lol backdoor

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Rape Jake. posted:

George RR. Martin rules!

He's an absolute fucker.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Rape Jake. posted:

George RR. Martin rules!

Rape Jake. It's like Roland Deschanel grew up in Westeros before the world moved on; finally finds a companion and his first thought is to penetrate him. And it turns out Jake grew up in 2000s New York and ASOIAF came out on time.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
This interviewer is awful.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
He talks exactly like he looks.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So does SER GREGOR.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Maytag posted:

He talks exactly like he looks.

True story, the whole reason I read these books is that I saw that picture of him with his cat and said,"yep, there is no way that dude doesn't have this fantasy thing down pat"

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

"Maybe Dany, because she's really hawt, EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH"

Really getting sick of the "journey" bullshit. "Let's say I was driving from Boston to LA..."
GURM, the issue is you do not have a clue where you are driving to, you absolute fucker.

edit: "low magic fantasy"
:argh:

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 19, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
How the gently caress can you be so fat and so squeaky at the same damned time

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

How can his beard look that terrible at his age? It's like a 20 year old who has never shaved in his life instead of the mountain man beard a man his age should be able to raise.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I honestly don't like to listen to GRRM interviews because that guy makes me uncomfortable. He looks like someone who sweats cheese and barely hidden shame.

whowhatwhere posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the whole "Lannister mole" rumor is an outgrowth of the absolutely retarded Lannister worship some fans have. Y'know the type, the type who just loves thinly veiled cipher characters like Batman, The Joker, Deadpool, House, and Dexter but isn't developed enough to see that any such character's genius prowess is entirely fictional and unachievable.

If the rumors are true it's also most likely part of some misshapen idea that the Lannisters (especially Tywin) need to be seen as absolute master manipulators and the Starks as foolish cliches. That "the Game of Thrones" needs to be something shown at all times, and that when one fails to think about the game for even a moment another will "outplay" him, taking the whole theme far too literally--even for a series that is literally a game about who sits on a throne.

I'm being hyperbolic there, but the point remains. Maybe I'm just being a retarded fan, but I really did like that Jeyne Westerline showed up out of nowhere with absolutely no value to Robb beyond satisfying his teenage hormones and subtle Sansa-like sense of romance, essentially throwing his and everyone else's lives away for nothing. Not only that, but she shows up so far into the story that all but the thickest of morons have picked up on the theme that in the books's "reality" you can't indulge your desires and play with your responsibilities without consequence.

Having her be a deliberate Lannister attempt to get the Freys angry enough to murder Robb seems ok when you first mull it over, but by the time you get to AffC and ADwD stuff where all the minor houses of Frey, Stark, Lannister, and Stannis start to rub up against each other it's just going to be another complicating wrinkle that's more trouble than it was originally worth, unless the showrunners want it to be another thing the Lannisters get away with, which seems fairly excessive considering how much they already get away with.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Do we know if Lady Westerling was in communication with Twyin before Robb knocked up her daughter or if she sent him a raven after she realized her house was about to be Reyned on if she did nothing?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Rumor going around that Jeyne Westerling is going to be turned into a Lannister to create a Romeo & Juliet-type circumstance for Robb's arc, which seems supremely heavy-handed to me.

That is the most stupendously loving retarded thing. I love it.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
From the previews I've seen it looks like Robb meets her in a war camp (like not during fighting) and if that's true I find it hard to believe she'd be a Lannister unless they're either going with the prisoner / slave scenario or full-out spy. Especially since she has dark hair and they just made such a big-rear end deal about the blonde Lannisters.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It also makes the Freys war strategists in league with the Lannisters, rather than petty dickheads.

God drat it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I also like how it says that Robb can't be interesting on his own, struggling to reconcile his juvenile love with the lofty expectations everyone foists upon him; ultimately breaking in a fit of passion and arrogance that nicely highlights his lack of experience mashing up against the most naive aspects of his father's honor.

And Goons-forgive that Jeyne just be a sweet, provincial girl swept up in a conflict far bigger than anything she's ever understood with a supportive family seizing an opportunity they never thought they'd have; no, she has to be either a Lannsiter or a Lannister spy to add dramatic depth to her character.

I'm so loathe to even get into Goon/Reddit "sexism" territory, but if these rumors are true it could even be argued as an "appeasement measure" to all the complaints about the (very real) sexism present in ASoIaF last season. Nevermind Brienne, Asha, Melissandre, Sansa, Arya, Margary, Dany, Cersei, Catelyn, and even Shae providing a wide and reasonably varied net of women with various degrees of power, coping with the lovely lot they have in Westeros and finding strength and victories where they can with their own unique strengths and weaknesses; we need someone we can point to as a "strong, conflicted girl."

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Tony Danza Claus posted:

It also makes the Freys war strategists in league with the Lannisters, rather than petty dickheads.

God drat it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b693/The-Pear-Shaped-Man/George-RR-Martin/?si=0

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
I guess GRRM is one of the authors that like to write from personal experience after all.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Even mentioned the voice.

This is a fake GURM right? Has to be, right?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

The name on that page links to the biography of the man we know and love (to hate). And since that site is a Barnes & Noble subsidiary I doubt it's a prank.

Perhaps GRRM has a well-developed sense of self-sarcasm.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

What, what this? I don't even...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Twenty to one that this was written as a "way to exorcise the worst version of me I've always been afraid I'll become," in the way the writers sometimes do.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Arnold of Soissons posted:

It's at the end of the Dreamsongs, Volume I collection. After 600 pages of mostly good stories, it ends with this.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

What.

Seriously?

No way. Just no way.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Octy posted:

It's at the end of the Dreamsongs, Volume I collection. After 600 pages of mostly good stories, it ends with this.

You have to recap this for us.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Christ's nipples on a breastplate.

quote:

She spent the rest of the evening finishing off the background and doing some of the fine detail on the heroine's gown. The hero didn't look quite right to her when she was done, so she worked on him, too. He was the usual dark-haired, virile, strong-jawed type, but Jessie decided to individualize him a bit, an effort that kept her pleasantly occupied until she heard Angie's key in the lock.

~~My Daario~~~

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

You have to recap this for us.

I don't have the story on hand and it's been a while, but I think it ends with Jessie being 'absorbed' by the Pear-Shaped Man. I don't know, the whole story is full of general creepiness. I think it's meant to be autobiographical too.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh I have to find this.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Just buy Dreamsongs. There's actually a lot of good sci-fi stuff in there.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

IRQ posted:

Oh I have to find this.

The actual illustration, from the book.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Pity the illustration's not in colour so you could see the Cheeto-stained fingertips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I have this masterwork of The Gurm.

quote:

“No,” Jessie whimpered, backing off.

There it was, her painting, the familiar background, the trite embrace, the period costumes researched so carefully, but no, she hadn't done that, someone had changed it, it wasn't her work, the woman was her, her, her, slender and strong with sandy blond hair and green eyes full of rapture, and he was crushing her to him, to him, the wet lips and white skin, and he had a blue ink stain on his ruffled lace shirtfront and dandruff on his velvet jacket and his head was pointed and his hair was greasy and the fingers wrapped in her locks were stained yellow, and he was smiling thinly and pulling her to him and her mouth was open and her eyes half closed and it was him and it was her, and there was her own signature there, down at the bottom.

“No,” she said again. She backed away, tripped over an easel, and fell. She curled up into a little ball on the floor and lay there sobbing, and that was how Angela found her, hours later.

e: OH GOD

quote:

“Go into my bedroom, you jerk, go in there right now and look around and come back and tell me what you see.”

“If you'd like,” Donald said. He walked over to the bedroom door, vanished, re-emerged several moments later. “All right,” he said patiently.

“Well?” Jessie demanded.

Donald shrugged. “It's a mess,” he said. “Underpants all over the floor, lots of crushed cheese curls. Tell me what you think it means.”

“He broke in here!” Jessie said.

“The Pear-shaped Man?” Donald queried pleasantly.

“Of courseit was the Pear-shaped Man,” Jessie screamed. “He snuck in here while we were all gone and he went into my bedroom and pawed through all my things and put Cheez Doodles in my underwear. He washere ! He was touching my stuff.”

I'm just loving skimming this poo poo too.

e2: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH MY GOD

quote:

The room was L-shaped, low ceilinged, filthy. The sickly sweet smell was overwhelming. Four naked light bulbs burned in the fixture above, and along one wall was a row of old lamps without shades, bare bulbs blazing away. A three-legged card table stood against the opposite wall, its fourth corner propped up by a broken TV set with wires dangling through the shattered glass of its picture tube. On top of the card table was a big bowl of Cheez Doodles. Jessie looked away, feeling sick. She tried to step backward, and her foot hit an empty Coke bottle. She almost fell. But the Pear-shaped Man caught her in his soft, damp grip and held her upright.

Jessie yanked herself free of him and backed away. Her hand went into her purse and closed around the knife. It made her feel better, stronger. She moved close to the boarded-up window. Outside she could make out Donald and Angela talking. The sound of their voices, so close at hand—that helped, too. She tried to summon up all of her strength. “How do you live like this?” she asked him. “Do you need help cleaning up the place? Are you sick?” It was so hard to force out the words.

“Sick,” the Pear-shaped Man repeated. “Did they tell you I was sick? They lie about me. They lie about me all the time. Somebody should make them stop.” If only he would stop smiling. His lips were so wet. But he never stopped smiling. “I knew you would come. Here. This is for you.” He pulled it from a pocket, held it out.

“No,” said Jessie. “I'm not hungry. Really.” But she was hungry, she realized. She was famished. She found herself staring at the thick orange twist between his fingers, and suddenly she wanted it desperately. “No,” she said again, but her voice was weaker now, barely more than a whisper, and the cheese curl was very close.

Her mouth sagged open. She felt it on her tongue, the roughness of the powdery cheese, the sweetness of it. It crunched softly between her teeth. She swallowed and licked the last orange flakes from her lower lip. She wanted more.

“I knew it was you,” said the Pear-shaped Man. “Now your things are mine.” Jessie stared at him. It was like in her nightmare. The Pear-shaped Man reached up and began to undo the little white plastic buttons on his shirt. She struggled to find her voice. He shrugged out of the shirt. His undershirt was yellow, with huge damp circles under his arms. He peeled it off, dropped it. He moved closer, and heavy white breasts flopped against his chest. The right one was covered by a wide blue smear. A dark little tongue slid between his lips. Fat white fingers worked at his belt like a team of dancing slugs. “These are for you,” he said.

Jessie's knuckles were white around the hilt of the knife. “Stop,” she whispered.

His pants settled to the floor.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 20, 2012