Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

mutata posted:

Culture shock? It's not too bad. At least it has phases that are fairly well researched and demarcated so you can kind of educate yourself on what to expect. Immersion language learning is definitely not for everyone, though!

The guys I interviewed with said the language of the company is in English, and it's like 50/50 English/other languages in terms of native languages. It sounded really cool, it was definitely a tough choice to drop it in favor of a mobile start up place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
For goons looking for work, we're (Raven Software) looking for lots of interns starting in August. I started out as an intern here and was hired at the end of it!

http://www.ravensoftware.com/careers/job-listing/

EDIT:More info here.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 15, 2012

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Me and my wife have made the decision to take the plunge and send me to Digipen this fall. She has a lot of friends she has through her blog circles in the Washington area, and at this point I'm looking at crazy tuition fees and loans anywhere I go. As much poo poo as I think I'm going to get from a lot of people for it, I think the consistency of their course routine is what I need. I definitely learn and work better when I'm doing work and learning about that work constantly, rather than the lovely online classes that I'm forced to take here. Wish me luck. :buddy:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Demitri Omni posted:

Me and my wife have made the decision to take the plunge and send me to Digipen this fall. She has a lot of friends she has through her blog circles in the Washington area, and at this point I'm looking at crazy tuition fees and loans anywhere I go. As much poo poo as I think I'm going to get from a lot of people for it, I think the consistency of their course routine is what I need. I definitely learn and work better when I'm doing work and learning about that work constantly, rather than the lovely online classes that I'm forced to take here. Wish me luck. :buddy:
Rather than wish you luck, I wish to be one of those people that gives you poo poo. But in a nice way.

Digipen won't pop you out the other end with marketable skills, unless you put in above and beyond the work required of you to just graduate. Digipen also won't give you a degree anyone really cares about - the portfolio you make while there is all that matters. If you can put that extra effort in already, you could do that while going for a CS degree, and pop out the other end with a marketable portfolio AND a more generally useful degree.

So, if you could. Why are you going to Digipen? What, exactly, are you expecting it to get you, and specifically, what about their program do you think will set you up better than a more traditional degree? (there are a few good reasons for going, but there are a lot more bad reasons)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 15, 2012

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
x

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 18, 2017

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Shalinor posted:

Rather than wish you luck, I wish to be one of those people that gives you poo poo. But in a nice way.

Digipen won't pop you out the other end with marketable skills, unless you put in above and beyond the work required of you to just graduate. Digipen also won't give you a degree anyone really cares about - the portfolio you make while there is all that matters. If you can put that extra effort in already, you could do that while going for a CS degree, and pop out the other end with a marketable portfolio AND a more generally useful degree.

So, if you could. Why are you going to Digipen? What, exactly, are you expecting it to get you, and specifically, what about their program do you think will set you up better than a more traditional degree? (there are a few good reasons for going, but there are a lot more bad reasons)

The skills to actually accomplish goals and work on that portfolio are why I'm going. I know that where I'm at, I really can't do that effectively, because I am just not great at self-teaching. I really don't work well with online classes, I work much better (and enjoy myself in that work much more) if I am going to work or going to learn, because my home situation is distracting as all hell. It's a really hard angle to explain, and I always fear I'm coming across as making excuses, but it is the truth. This decision comes just as much from my need to get into better surroundings as it does from my academic needs.

As far as your second paragraph, I am looking to actually get the education I know I can achieve, and come out of it not only with the papers to say that I did it, but plenty of work to show people that "I did this, god dammit". The reason why I picked Digipen specifically is because I've been in contact with them about attending for a while, and my wife has a handful of contacts near there that she could speak to about getting some part-time work and finishing up her courses.

EDIT: Also, I've just been in that "man I'm going to do something with my life!" mindset without actually doing it for too long, because I've just always felt stranded here. It's a step toward taking some goddamn control of my life.

Aqua_D fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 15, 2012

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Waterbed posted:

I wish I liked Call of Duty or I would give this a shot :( I'm pretty clueless about the game.

I wasn't huge about COD when I came here, but I've grown to love it. Give it a shot anyway, it might suprise you.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I wasn't huge about COD when I came here, but I've grown to love it. Give it a shot anyway, it might suprise you.

Yeah, I mean I reall have nothing to lose by trying and I'll probably learn something anyway.

The design tools only require the original Modern Warfare, correct? (also I almost typed Warcraft instead of Warfare).

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Yeah, just the original.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Demitri Omni posted:

The skills to actually accomplish goals and work on that portfolio are why I'm going. I know that where I'm at, I really can't do that effectively, because I am just not great at self-teaching. I really don't work well with online classes, I work much better (and enjoy myself in that work much more) if I am going to work or going to learn, because my home situation is distracting as all hell. It's a really hard angle to explain, and I always fear I'm coming across as making excuses, but it is the truth. This decision comes just as much from my need to get into better surroundings as it does from my academic needs.

EDIT: Also, I've just been in that "man I'm going to do something with my life!" mindset without actually doing it for too long, because I've just always felt stranded here. It's a step toward taking some goddamn control of my life.
Fair enough. That is indeed one of the solid, reasonable reasons to go. Besides, Digipen is at least one of the better options (for programming). Best of luck!

EDIT: VV Eh. If he doesn't have the drive to self-direct his education, DigiPen's a better option than a CS degree. Granted, he may also not have the drive to come out of DigiPen with useful skills, but... well, who knows. It's his money to gamble, I suppose.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 15, 2012

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Demitri Omni posted:

The skills to actually accomplish goals and work on that portfolio are why I'm going.

Ugh, I feel like I am watching an accident in slow-motion. I cry every time someone gets swaggerjacked into going to a game school, even a good one like DigiPen. Are you going for programming? If so, please just go to UW and get a CS degree. It'll be WAY cheaper assuming you live in state and you'll have a diploma from a top-tier CS program.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

For whatever it's worth, most of my Digipen friends who went for the RTIS degree are doing rather well.
Now, if we are talking about the BFA... most people aren't doing so well, but honestly, I wouldn't blame it entirely on the degree. I would be more inclined to blame the economy and in some cases the people who didn't really put any effort into it.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Man, all the DigiPen hate brings me down. I graduated as a programmer there and I liked my experience but I also understand the remarks about the degree not being completely legit and option to go for a normal CS degree from a university. However the knowledge and experience from DigiPen is legit, but only if you apply yourself but that can be said of anything. All the programming they teach is good stuff and a good way to go about studying the subject which is to start from the ground up.

Usually when I'm asked about DigiPen and other CS degrees, my general sentiments are they're both good experiences, but I feel that because of DigiPen's many projects and yearlong team projects, DigiPen students are usually better at creating an application from start to finish from scratch while Uni students may be better at CS theory.

As for jobs, most of my DigiPen programmer friends all have pretty good jobs in all over, from Zynga to 343 Studios. But they're very exceptional anyways. In fact I know at least 6+ programmers from my class that were hired by Zynga alone!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I think all your reasoning is solid and so long as you work on joining extra-curricular teams and push yourself you will be able to do great at Digipen. Digipen has produced a number of fantastic developers including the Narbacular Drop team.

A disruptive home life is a legitimate reason to not be able to self-study and many colleges suggest to new students to study in the library or other non-bedroom areas to help provide structure, and recognizing that need is fine.

Most importantly, as someone who has a high-octane home life, a wife, etc, Digipen will make it easier to develop connections and networking that would require a lot more diligence and effort if you were at home.

Go for it! As long as you recognize that running to the end of the treadmill doesn't get you a job, it gets you to the end of the treadmill, and it's that rising above is what will let you find a job, you'll do fine.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
There's a new Weekly Game Jam Thread starting up if any of you pros want to come show us plebes how game dev is really done, or if any of you pro-wanna-be-types feel like getting some practice. It's a low-pressure format where themes get announced on Friday and results are due the following Friday. If nothing else, some quality criticism and feedback would be hugely appreciated once the entries start flowing in.

First round kicks off tomorrow!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

PDP-1 posted:

There's a new Weekly Game Jam Thread starting up if any of you pros want to come show us plebes how game dev is really done, or if any of you pro-wanna-be-types feel like getting some practice. It's a low-pressure format where themes get announced on Friday and results are due the following Friday. If nothing else, some quality criticism and feedback would be hugely appreciated once the entries start flowing in.

First round kicks off tomorrow!

I like that the first post of that thread lists out some basic tools for getting started, I think a few additions would really help people get started: Places to find cheap/free assets such as http://www.freesound.org/ for free sound effects, and http://www.fontsquirrel.com/ for free fonts. Stuff for 2D and 3D art would also be useful.
Resources for building assets, and quick tutorials on asset creation: Gimp, Blender, Audacity.

I'll probably enter on weeks that the theme makes sense to do a homebrew 2600 game or something super non-commercial, I am 99% sure that's safe with my contract.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Good suggestions, please post them in the Game Jam thread. It'd be nifty if the OP developed a bit more into a clearinghouse of indy dev resources.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Yeah I bet the culture shop of moving to a country where you don't speak the language would be pretty severe.

Heh I moved to Vietnam a few months ago to follow a job, I get the culture shock every day. :)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

My wife and I have lived in Ukraine before, part of me wants to get a gig at Crytek-Kiev...

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Does anyone know anything about Northeastern's Master's Certificate in Game Design? I am strictly on the design side, so I think that having a degree that reflects a general knowledge about all aspects of design, including a bit of programming knowledge, might be helpful for me in the future.

Does anyone have any experience with it? I realize that there is the "games school lol " opinion, but outside of that, any thoughts?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Senso posted:

Heh I moved to Vietnam a few months ago to follow a job, I get the culture shock every day. :)

What was that like for you? My partner has never even left Scotland before. I'm taking her on her first trip to not only London but England in a months time.

I don't know how I prepare her for the fact that one day we're going to have to move to another country.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Kunzelman posted:

Does anyone have any experience with it? I realize that there is the "games school lol " opinion, but outside of that, any thoughts?

I sit next to one of the instructors in that program and I asked him what he thought of it: "If you want homework that forces you to work with other people to make games, sure. But you're basically paying me thousands of dollars to tell you to make a game in Unity and then give you feedback. You could do that on your own. The certificate itself is worthless, but depending on the person, the process might be worthwhile."

We're a cynical bunch here about gaming schools!

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

devilmouse posted:

I sit next to one of the instructors in that program and I asked him what he thought of it: "If you want homework that forces you to work with other people to make games, sure. But you're basically paying me thousands of dollars to tell you to make a game in Unity and then give you feedback. You could do that on your own. The certificate itself is worthless, but depending on the person, the process might be worthwhile."

We're a cynical bunch here about gaming schools!

Well that is good to know. Any chance you could PM me an email address for the instructor (clear it with her/him first, of course)? I would just like to have a conversation about the material, and Northeastern's school of professional studies is strangely opaque.

Edit: Also, if there is anyone who is hiring entry-level design work in the Boston area, please let me know. I am graduating college and it looks like I will land in Boston with my partner.

Kunzelman fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 16, 2012

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Chernabog posted:

For whatever it's worth, most of my Digipen friends who went for the RTIS degree are doing rather well.
Now, if we are talking about the BFA... most people aren't doing so well, but honestly, I wouldn't blame it entirely on the degree. I would be more inclined to blame the economy and in some cases the people who didn't really put any effort into it.

I agree as well. A lot of the employees at my company are from Digipen, and they do have a bachelors of Computer Engineering and even a Masters of Computer Science degree. From my perspective 98% of Digipen is about networking and portfolio work. It's the same concept as a MBA from Harvard Business School. You get it to develop the contacts of people who have MBAs from Harvard Business School.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

devilmouse posted:

But you're basically paying me thousands of dollars to tell you to make a game in Unity and then give you feedback. You could do that on your own.

Not... entirely. Might as well focus on getting your money's worth from that one little element you can't do on your own. Considering all the focus testing/metrics companies do, it seems feedback is a premium commodity.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Monster w21 Faces posted:

What was that like for you? My partner has never even left Scotland before. I'm taking her on her first trip to not only London but England in a months time.

I don't know how I prepare her for the fact that one day we're going to have to move to another country.

You're scared on how she will react in a trip from Scotland to England? Yeah, Asia might be scary then. :)

But seriously, there's no obvious trick when moving to another country, you just need to have that wandering lust or something. Before moving to Vietnam (I'm Canadian), I worked for two years in France. My wife and I are planning to go back to Montreal in a year or two, stay there until we get bored and then move again, probably to South America. It's just an itch, I want to live all over the world.

You just need to do some research, be open and really excited in a positive way and it's gonna work!

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

Job update: About two years ago I mentioned I was joining a large Japanese publisher's management team overseeing their Japanese office's online business development. About a year ago I switched to managing business development in the parent holdings company, responsible for worldwide business development. As of last week, I became director of business of development for the holdings company.

So pretty cool overall.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Carfax Report posted:

Job update: About two years ago I mentioned I was joining a large Japanese publisher's management team overseeing their Japanese office's online business development. About a year ago I switched to managing business development in the parent holdings company, responsible for worldwide business development. As of last week, I became director of business of development for the holdings company.

So pretty cool overall.

Congratulations! I only have the vaguest idea of what that means, but it seems like you are important in some arcane and mystifying way.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

Kunzelman posted:

Congratulations! I only have the vaguest idea of what that means, but it seems like you are important in some arcane and mystifying way.

This has been my parents' reaction to pretty much every stage of my career.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

waffledoodle posted:

I was trying to explain what I do to my dad over the course of a car ride and I settled on "architect for video games". My moms just happy that I'm happy with my career and that I can show her cool stuff I made.

EDIT: VVVV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzvfWEXU-tc&t=216s

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 19, 2012

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

waffledoodle posted:

I told my mother that I shine shoes for a living at the airport.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I was trying to explain what I do to my dad over the course of a car ride and I settled on "architect for video games". My moms just happy that I'm happy with my career and that I can show her cool stuff I made.

EDIT: VVVV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzvfWEXU-tc&t=216s

At Avalanche, the level gameplay designers and scripters are actually internally called "Architects".

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I just describe myself as a guy who works with colors and shapes

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
i draw things.

Soon i'll be able to whip out my android phone and go, i worked on this game, enjoy.

(Could totally do that now if i had an iphone, but im cheap :woz: )

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 19, 2012

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

waffledoodle posted:

A lot of my friends and family always ask me "when will you become a millionaire?". I have to tell them that I'm just a lowly artist and the only way I will become one is if I started my own company or I win the lottery. Hell, I'm not even employed right now, although I think this is about to change.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I ban noobs.

(and conduct cross-platform multimedia marketing campaigns)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I make the levels and the things that go in them.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
When I was a Senior Software Engineer it was: I'm one of the guys who writes the code that tells the game what to do.

Now that I'm a Producer I just say it's like being a Project Manager.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I'm trying to get a job as an idea man, please give to my kickstarter campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I just tell them I draw things that look like nintendo games. (yeah they don't know sprites)