Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

tuyop posted:

Oil stuff

You can check your oil level with the dipstick. Oil on the engine and bumper is fine, it will just burn off and make a smell but whatever.

Try checking for the o ring first on the old filter and feeling for it, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Fuschia tude posted:

Incidentally, if you're not going to change it yourself for some reason, what would be the best place to get your oil changed? The dealer would overcharge, right?

It really depends on where you are. Here in Houston it costs between $55 and $65 for a full synthetic change for me almost anywhere I go - dealer is about the same price as most shops for that. Call a few places and ask, they may need to know your year model to verify the quantity of oil required (most quotes only cover 5 qts of oil).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

quaint bucket posted:

You can check your oil level with the dipstick. Oil on the engine and bumper is fine, it will just burn off and make a smell but whatever.

Try checking for the o ring first on the old filter and feeling for it, man.

Yes, I am familiar with this dip stick.

I wasn't familiar with checking the o ring, school boy error. Just like the mutual fund thing, really.

\/\/\/ Yeah that was one of the things that my father repeated over and over while I was growing up. He doesn't know how to do very much maintenance at all, and is definitely not a car guy, but he made sure that I know to spread some oil on the new filter before putting it on!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 12, 2012

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
If the seal stuck to your block they were probably using a horrible oil filter and over-tightened it. While an enormous pain, you did save money and in the future it will be easier and probably won't happen again.

I've torn a seal on a new oil filter going on because of a precarious filter placement and not being careful trying to get it on there. It's a mistake you only make once!

Also you're probably aware buy always lube the seal on the oil filter (I also do the threads for good measure) with oil (new or whatever came off) to get it to make a nice seal.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Canadian Tire charges my mom like $32 for an oil change and a check to make sure things like lights are working. They have a sign out the front that says the workers don't make commission based on upsells but I don't know how true that is.

Also when her car battery stopped working basically once a week after the second time they stopped charging her for a new battery and instead gave her some gadget that notices when the battery is failing and cuts it off so that it never goes completely flat anymore. Seeing as she's a 55+ year old woman with no idea how cars work they could have pretty easily just made her pay for a new battery each time.

Badger Pudding
Jan 11, 2007

My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary.

tuyop posted:

Yeah that particular vacation was 1400 return to Ankara, economy. First class would be like 10x that amount. Then 700 for food, transport, and accommodations for 14 days. It was pretty cheap for a trip from Canada to Turkey, but I understand what you're all saying. I'd really like to start saving a small amount to go back to the Grand Canyon or Newfoundland to hike or something, but it really doesn't make sense right now.

That particular vacation cost $2400 for the flight, and $1300 for everything else if I remember correctly. And I fronted you the cash for it and you payed me back within the year. Just saying. :colbert:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Badger Pudding posted:

That particular vacation cost $2400 for the flight, and $1300 for everything else if I remember correctly. And I fronted you the cash for it and you payed me back within the year. Just saying. :colbert:

Welp. As an insider, is he lying about other costs too?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Badger Pudding posted:

2400 for both of us, come on now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

2400 for both of us, come on now.

How does that make it $1400?

Tuyop, I too dream of spending several thousand dollars wrecklessly but I don't because I like money. We need to encourage you to like money too, is what I'm saying.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Badger Pudding
Jan 11, 2007

My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary.

Nam Taf posted:

Welp. As an insider, is he lying about other costs too?

No, not as far as I can see. I've been keeping up just to make sure. Also, I wouldn't really call it lying considering it was about 4 years ago, he has a terrible memory, and I handled all the bills with money that my lottery inspired aunt gave me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
March Update

March was less of a mess.

Debt
Interest: payment (balance)
Mastercard 29.9%
Laptop 21%
Visa 12.75%: 350 (11747)
Student loan 4.5%: 170 (15717)
Car 1.9%: 375 (22415)
Total debt serviced: 895
Total debt remaining: 49879
Total Savings: 1655

<50k in debt and halfway to emergency fund goal! Small victories, right?

How do you guys feel about payment plans for furniture and stuff? The Canex offers an interest-free payment plan that just comes off of your pay if you're in the regular force. I really want a new mattress, mine is loving old and awful and was 30 dollars on Kijiji. I could get an ipad that way too!

I borrowed my girlfriend's ebook reader for some field time last month and absolutely loved it. I got 165 dollars in bonus money for a business trip early March so I bought myself a Kindle. Yeah, I'm bad but I only spent 20 dollars a week in "fun money" as well, so that's how I budgeted for it I guess.

I have other news too, but I'll double-post that. :)

tuyop fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 1, 2012

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I guess there's no easy way to put this. Toeshoes (the girlfriend) is pregnant! :D

I've wanted to have a kid for a long time now, so obviously we're keeping it. I guess this is a financial catastrophe, but it's like everyone always says, if you didn't have kids until you were ready for it, nobody would have kids.

Cornholio managed to have another baby and claw himself out of debt, and my parents had two while they were literally bankrupt and now live pretty well, so I know it can be done. (One of) the worst parts is that we're going to have to find another place to live. The Fight Club house is no place for an infant. I haven't told work yet, but there's a whole slew of benefits that I may or may not qualify for that I'm really going to need; least of which being paternity leave.

Anyway, I'm really happy about this but bring on the apocalyptic predictions!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

I guess there's no easy way to put this. Toeshoes (the girlfriend) is pregnant! :D

I've wanted to have a kid for a long time now, so obviously we're keeping it. I guess this is a financial catastrophe, but it's like everyone always says, if you didn't have kids until you were ready for it, nobody would have kids.

Cornholio managed to have another baby and claw himself out of debt, and my parents had two while they were literally bankrupt and now live pretty well, so I know it can be done. (One of) the worst parts is that we're going to have to find another place to live. The Fight Club house is no place for an infant. I haven't told work yet, but there's a whole slew of benefits that I may or may not qualify for that I'm really going to need; least of which being paternity leave.

Congratulations!

*checks date*

*groan*

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

tuyop posted:

April Fools??

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

Congratulations!

*checks date*

*groan*

drat you Cornholio! You've ruined the BFC April fools joke forever. :(

Yes, that was a joke. My girlfriend is not pregnant. I do want babies, but maybe not right now.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Congratulations!

*checks date*

*groan*

Where's yours, you scallywag.

I'm not a fan of payment plans with furnitures. Are there any other catches other than coming straight out of your paycheck automatically?

$30 for a mattress, how are you not dead yet?

quaint bucket fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 1, 2012

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008

tuyop posted:

drat you Cornholio! You've ruined the BFC April fools joke forever. :(

Yes, that was a joke. My girlfriend is not pregnant. I do want babies, but maybe not right now.

Well played. You burned me so bad. I'm reading this too early in the morning.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

quaint bucket posted:

Where's yours, you scallywag.

I'm not a fan of payment plans with furnitures. Are there any other catches other than coming straight out of your paycheck automatically?

$30 for a mattress, how are you not dead yet?

Since I don't have a thread, it's harder. I tried, and failed to get anybody. :effort:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Was the "let's get an iPad on a payment plan" an April Fool's too? Because it should be.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

IllegallySober posted:

Was the "let's get an iPad on a payment plan" an April Fool's too? Because it should be.

If it is, then he fooled me too.

tuyop posted:

How do you guys feel about payment plans for furniture and stuff? The Canex offers an interest-free payment plan that just comes off of your pay if you're in the regular force. I really want a new mattress, mine is loving old and awful and was 30 dollars on Kijiji. I could get an ipad that way too!

Don't do it. It is still debt, it is still a payment, it still works against you. If you have a $30 mattress, well that sucks. You need to get another one. What does a decent mattress cost? Say $800 give or take? I just made up that number, but if you go out and save that money, whenever you are tempted to buy something , you will think about that mattress and decide if you need it or not. You can stop paying more than the minimums on debt too, and pretty soon you will have a mattress. As you are saving for it, you will be drawn toward deals and sales and you might even find it for less.

The other option is you get one today, and because it seems so easy, and such a minor amount every week, you are overpay for it. Then because it comes automatically out of the paycheck, you have less money to continue your debt snowball, and are more likely to run out of money before you get paid again and need to start using your cards and therefore build up debt.

We keep saying it, but the reason all of us find ourselves in debt is due to behavior, not interest rates, and playing with interest rates without changing behavior will keep you in debt.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

tuyop posted:

How do you guys feel about payment plans for furniture and stuff?
My mom told me a story about my Grandma getting her first living room set thanks to layaway. Every paycheck she'd go down and put $5 towards the set and when her wedding finally rolled around many months later she was able to pick up the set and have it delivered.

Layaway is fine since it's just a save-until-you-own plan. It's Grandma approved.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

CuddleChunks posted:

My mom told me a story about my Grandma getting her first living room set thanks to layaway. Every paycheck she'd go down and put $5 towards the set and when her wedding finally rolled around many months later she was able to pick up the set and have it delivered.

Layaway is fine since it's just a save-until-you-own plan. It's Grandma approved.

Yeah I guess Layaway works for people who can't keep savings or something, but this is more of a rent-to-buy scheme where you only pay principal.

The ipad thing was a typical joke, not an April Fool's one. I might replace my laptop with a refurbished ipad 2 if it dies this year, but it really depends on a lot of things. I'd have to justify 350 for an old ipad over 125-200 for an old laptop and I'm not really sure I could.

And yeah, I actually got the mattress from the landlord, which made transporting it way easier. He had someone firebomb one of his units or something and only a couple of things survived. One of them is this mattress. It's really two twin mattresses stuck inside a hand-sewn fabric thing. It's slightly singed and has some kind of wood frame holding it together. There's sort of a gap in the middle and it's not exactly square. But 30 bucks was a pretty sweet price! But as usual, Zeta is right. I'll just wait till I get posted to wherever, whenever.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 1, 2012

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Zeta Buttforce posted:

Don't do it. It is still debt, it is still a payment, it still works against you. If you have a $30 mattress, well that sucks. You need to get another one. What does a decent mattress cost? Say $800 give or take? I just made up that number, but if you go out and save that money, whenever you are tempted to buy something , you will think about that mattress and decide if you need it or not. You can stop paying more than the minimums on debt too, and pretty soon you will have a mattress. As you are saving for it, you will be drawn toward deals and sales and you might even find it for less.

The other option is you get one today, and because it seems so easy, and such a minor amount every week, you are overpay for it. Then because it comes automatically out of the paycheck, you have less money to continue your debt snowball, and are more likely to run out of money before you get paid again and need to start using your cards and therefore build up debt.

We keep saying it, but the reason all of us find ourselves in debt is due to behavior, not interest rates, and playing with interest rates without changing behavior will keep you in debt.

There's some important stuff here. The mattress is a priority over luxury items like ipads and kindles. Your budget for entertainment luxuries does need to stay low. You cannot afford to relax your behaviour as you still have the 12.75% visa debt. That's a high interest rate and it affects your time to get out of debt.

I've gone through some tough times living very poor. There were times I wanted things and I saved rather than borrowed. The only time I had a standing credit card debt was when I finished university and had run out of money until unemployment benefit came through. I went without then so I can have what I want now.

You need to do without now so you can move on.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Scrimping on a mattress is pretty stupid unless you like back surgery. I'm not saying you need a thousand dollar memory foam thing, but yeah, don't give yourself permanent back problems because you decided you really needed BFC approval.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tuyop posted:

Yeah I guess Layaway works for people who can't keep savings or something, but this is more of a rent-to-buy scheme where you only pay principal.

Check the price carefully. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

It may very well be that you can find the exact same mattress elsewhere, for a price that is cheaper than the rent-to-buy version, even if you include the interest on a small loan to pay for it.

quote:

It's really two twin mattresses stuck inside a hand-sewn fabric thing. It's slightly singed and has some kind of wood frame holding it together. There's sort of a gap in the middle and it's not exactly square. But 30 bucks was a pretty sweet price! But as usual, Zeta is right. I'll just wait till I get posted to wherever, whenever.

Adar posted:

Scrimping on a mattress is pretty stupid unless you like back surgery. I'm not saying you need a thousand dollar memory foam thing, but yeah, don't give yourself permanent back problems because you decided you really needed BFC approval.

Tuyop, aren't you the guy with a fcuked-up back that you are trying to recover from? This may be something that you should consider investing more than the cost of one pair of socks in.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I refuse to believe that getting a new mattress rises to the level of emergency. It is a priority, it is something he should have already done, but it’s not an emergency. I have a feeling that this only came up because he found out he could get an interest free loan for it. He will have the money in a month. All he has to do is to reduce his debt payments to the minimum payment, eat frozen vegetables, and go an entire month without getting a speeding ticket.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

On that note, if you're looking to buy a mattress, consider sleep country only if you're ok with getting their "used mattresses."

They're mattresses that were either:
-refused on delivery due to dirt on the mattress/box springs, rip in mattress (on the sides) or on the protective bags, or just because. They end up rebagging them and classifying them as used. The bad damages don't make it to customers because SC return them to manufacturer.
-floor models from stores
-returned by customer under warranty for minimal stuff (small stain).

Salespeople get a larger commission on used mattresses but I'm not sure how much leeway you would have with negotiating as I never had to.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

You can buy a 4" foam mattress topper for much less than a new mattress.

It won't last as long as a fancypants mattress, but it will make your old crappy one much better for a couple years.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Zeta Buttforce posted:

I refuse to believe that getting a new mattress rises to the level of emergency. It is a priority, it is something he should have already done, but it’s not an emergency. I have a feeling that this only came up because he found out he could get an interest free loan for it. He will have the money in a month. All he has to do is to reduce his debt payments to the minimum payment, eat frozen vegetables, and go an entire month without getting a speeding ticket.

Counterpoint: interest free loans don't rise to the level of fiscal irresponsibility (and even if they weren't interest free, the extra month of interest would cost < :10bux:) unless you can't pay them back. The extra month of sleeping on a lovely mattress *isn't* free. It might not rise to the level of foregoing leukemia treatments for a month until you have the cash in hand, but for a guy with a preexisting condition it's got a non-negligible chance of making it worse.

Anyway, this is really a question of willpower. If he's committed to spending the money wisely and knows he can eat frozen veggies, he can do it on a good mattress. If he needs the crutch of cash in hand because he's had repeated problems doing otherwise, Dave Ramsey might be applicable. Personally, I prefer the willpower approach until proven otherwise.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Zeta Buttforce posted:

He will have the money in a month. All he has to do is to reduce his debt payments to the minimum payment, eat frozen vegetables, and go an entire month without getting a speeding ticket.

:rolleyes: Look, if you're not going to offer realistic advice just don't post at all. You might as well ask Tuyop to sprout wings and fly. Not get a ticket while driving? Sheesh, what planet are you from?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Ikea has mattresses for very cheap, I think our queen-sized mattress was around $150-200 (+ the bed frame and slat was around $400 total).

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Adar posted:

Counterpoint: interest free loans don't rise to the level of fiscal irresponsibility (and even if they weren't interest free, the extra month of interest would cost < :10bux:) unless you can't pay them back. The extra month of sleeping on a lovely mattress *isn't* free. It might not rise to the level of foregoing leukemia treatments for a month until you have the cash in hand, but for a guy with a preexisting condition it's got a non-negligible chance of making it worse.

Anyway, this is really a question of willpower. If he's committed to spending the money wisely and knows he can eat frozen veggies, he can do it on a good mattress. If he needs the crutch of cash in hand because he's had repeated problems doing otherwise, Dave Ramsey might be applicable. Personally, I prefer the willpower approach until proven otherwise.

Counterpoint to your counterpoint. He would sleep on a mattress 10 times worse without complaint if the mattress happened to be in Turkey.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Zeta Buttforce posted:

Counterpoint to your counterpoint. He would sleep on a mattress 10 times worse without complaint if the mattress happened to be in Turkeymade by UnderArmour.

Alternate scenario applied.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Adar posted:

I think this is the wrong way to think about it. Obviously someone is paying the interest, so if you don't take an interest free loan, you'll often find you're eligible for money off. This happens all the time in vehicles, it's 0% for 6 years, or like 3500 off.

It's not always true, but it does cost them money, so if you're not taking it, they're usually able to haggle more.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't know why BFC is so crazy about mattresses, but there are a few reasons why I probably won't buy a mattress any time in the next 12-36 months:

1. Money. The payment plan with Canex is handled in the military the same way mess dues are handled. You buy the thing, there's no interest or anything, they just divide the total cost of the thing up among a certain number of pays and it gets deducted before you ever see it, appearing as "Nonpublic funds" deduction on your pay. But in the end it's 400-800 dollars that I really shouldn't spend right now because:

2. Uncertain living situation. They could tell me next week that I'm being posted to Kingston, Ontario for the next two years and that I have to be there in two weeks. In Kingston they might not let me live off-base so I'd be stuck in quarters on a military mattress for basically forever.

3. Mobility. I can't fit a mattress in my car, so I'd have to find another - more expensive - way to move it.

4. I'm living with the one I have now. Sure my back and neck hurt most days, but by the time lunch rolls around all my back drugs have kicked in and it's really not that big of a deal.

In other news, today is my (cigarette) quit day. I am pleasantly surprised with the effectiveness of the patch. For the past few weeks I've been following the military's stop smoking program. It basically had me take reduce my smoking from 10 cigarettes a day to 0 over the course of 12 days while reading about coping strategies and stuff, and now I'm off forever. I've bet a couple of friends some money that I'll stay quit for two months and I'd like to do the same in this thread.

So. If I fail at this quitting thing I'll give 35 dollars to Oxfam. I hate Oxfam even though they do some good work sometimes, so this will be a bad thing for me that will also help someone in the local Oxfam administration line their pockets with my donation. I could toxx clause it too, I guess.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

At least consider getting a mattress pad - I'm with Adar on this one, sleeping poorly can be extremely detrimental to your mental health, not to mention your physical wellbeing if it causes long term back/joint problems.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
What are the downsides of living on base? I assume they're more like dorm rooms than apartments and just general bland/cramped/no proper kitchen kind of thing. But that would save a bunch of money over rent, eh?

If I remember correctly you live off base right now, right?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Shooting Blanks posted:

if it causes long term back/joint problems.

Way ahead of you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tuyop posted:

4. Sure my back and neck hurt most days, but by the time lunch rolls around all my back drugs have kicked in and it's really not that big of a deal.

Yeah, this is something of a big deal. You really should address this issue. Healthy people should not wake up with a bad back due to a poor mattress. Any pain you have now can only get worse in later life.

This is doubled for people like yourself who have an injured back

quote:

In other news, today is my (cigarette) quit day.

Good luck! This is a great move for you.

Shooting Blanks posted:

At least consider getting a mattress pad - I'm with Adar on this one, sleeping poorly can be extremely detrimental to your mental health, not to mention your physical wellbeing if it causes long term back/joint problems.

The money he saves on cigarettes can be invested in this. Double health benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

What are the downsides of living on base? I assume they're more like dorm rooms than apartments and just general bland/cramped/no proper kitchen kind of thing. But that would save a bunch of money over rent, eh?

If I remember correctly you live off base right now, right?

Sometimes it doesn't work that way. In college I lived in some pretty dumpy apartment with military folk who were pulling off-base housing allowances (the payment are flat, they get a fixed amount of money) and then getting a lovely place to crash for $400/month (stupid cheap for the area) and pocketing the difference. They were essentially making more money by living off-base. I don't know how the Canadian armed forces arrange these things, but I suspect it's similar. You either live on base and they 'charge' you for food and housing, etc, or you live off base and they subsidize your food and housing.

I think the only big benefit would be less driving.

• Locked thread