Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

The MSJ posted:

Wouldn't be the first grieving widow a Bioware protagonist romance. There was Jaheira in Baldur's Gate 2.

I think it's a Bioware standard for there to be some possible romance character who's a widower. Carth, Sky...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think it's a Bioware standard for there to be some possible romance character who's a widower. Carth, Sky...

I honestly don't understand it. I don't mind the "damaged character is healed by interaction with the protagonist" thing, even though it's hacky, but what on Earth is romantically appealing about freshly grieving widowers? Why is that a thing that recurs to such a degree that it feels like someone at Bioware's fetish?

I say this liking Cortez. It's just the profusion of romance-able characters using basically the same weird hook in their games that baffles me.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Am I retarded, how do you get your guns up to level 10 in single player? Is it not possible? Is it a NG+ feature? I couldn't get anything above 5. I feel like I missed a triggering event or something.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Here is Stovetop posted:

Am I retarded, how do you get your guns up to level 10 in single player? Is it not possible? Is it a NG+ feature? I couldn't get anything above 5. I feel like I missed a triggering event or something.

NG+.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Dan Didio posted:

That is an insanely arbitrary distinction to make.

EDIT: Also, it ignores the wealth of books and movies that have had their endings changed post-release with stuff like Director's Cuts, etc. etc.

To be fair, this is way more difficult to do with a physical medium, which is why it's definitely done less. It's much more likely for a retcon in a future product than the writer to literally take the books off the shelves and add some pages in.

For a game, they can just slip it in without you noticing. Though, how do we distinguish works in progress from completed works?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I've started my Vanguard Insanity run and it's ridiculous. Just got through Mars and the first fight was over before James could finish questioning why Cerberus was there.

Also, bringing up the power wheel mid-Nova gave me Shepard with the default :geno: (with a healthy mix of :downs:) just staring into the middle distance in the middle of the usual "Yeeaaauuurrrgh!"

Radio Paranoia fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 19, 2012

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

Android Blues posted:

I honestly don't understand it. I don't mind the "damaged character is healed by interaction with the protagonist" thing, even though it's hacky, but what on Earth is romantically appealing about freshly grieving widowers? Why is that a thing that recurs to such a degree that it feels like someone at Bioware's fetish?

I say this liking Cortez. It's just the profusion of romance-able characters using basically the same weird hook in their games that baffles me.

Cortez actually isn't too bad - you can help him get over his dead husband without going down a romance path and you can use all the charm/paragon options on him as a male Shepard and it won't begin a romance unless you specifically initiate it at purgatory on the citadel after the Cerberus attack

Plus even femshep gets to have some meaningful character arc with cortez and help him deal in a platonic way that doesn't require a magic relationship to fix it. It's not at all like thane where the only way to help him deal with his dead wife is through ~romance~

Also seriously this game gives you like 3 conversation choices in a row to back out of hitting on him. It's like a nonstop parade of 'no homo' dialogue to make sure you don't accidentally hit on that - it's ridiculous. I don't see why people are all like 'ew I don't want to accidentally hit on him,'

Also Jaheria is the worst of the bioware widow romances.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm thinking this is the first ME game I won't replay. The side missions are so grating to me since:

1. I feel like the use of a guide is necessary to complete them since you can obtain quests before they are completable
2. It's hard to tell when I've completed missions. Once I finish a side-quest, I have to go read the quest text again to figure out if I've picked up the thing I thought I just recovered or if it's actually related to some other quest
3. The ending

I hate to sound like "this game should be more like WoW" but, with the number of side missions necessary to receive the "good" ending, they could have taken some notes on how other games deal with side quest completions. Just some sort of indicator in the Journal would have been a small detail that went a long way.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Dan Didio posted:

NG+.

Thanks that makes me feel only slightly less retarded.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

tadashi posted:

1. I feel like the use of a guide is necessary to complete them since you can obtain quests before they are completable

2. It's hard to tell when I've completed missions. Once I finish a side-quest, I have to go read the quest text again to figure out if I've picked up the thing I thought I just recovered or if it's actually related to some other quest

You don't need a guide to complete all the missions at all. I completed all side quest in this game the first time by playing in the same way I play any other game where I expect to complete as much as possible: doing everything and talking to everyone I could before moving the main story forward. Only annoying thing for me regarding that was that you couldn't tell which clusters have nothing you can salvage.

The second one was also never an issue for me, it's pretty obvious you picked the main objective thing by just listening to what Cortez/EDI/your companions say, really. And every time I completed a mission missing a tiny side quest thing in it (happened one or two times), I jut bought it cheaply in the Spectre shop later.

If anything, I thought completing everything in this game was pretty trivial compared to most other RPGs/action RPGs I played. First time I played the Witcher I missed a bunch of stuff.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

tadashi posted:

I'm thinking this is the first ME game I won't replay. The side missions are so grating to me since:

3. The ending

I hate to sound like "this game should be more like WoW" but, with the number of side missions necessary to receive the "good" ending, they could have taken some notes on how other games deal with side quest completions. Just some sort of indicator in the Journal would have been a small detail that went a long way.
I think it should generally be easier the second time round, when you know that you should complete as many scanning-type side missions as you can prior to doing the priority Tuchanka mission and attacking the Cerberus base, or even going to Sanctuary. Knowing that the map of each Citadel area will indicate the presence of an NPC if you can hand in such a side mission is helpful, too. It's very true that actively keeping track of what you've done is made unnecessarily difficult, in particular because your journal doesn't update you on mission progress (an inexplicable design decision), but if you're not too worried about the whole narrative you can sort of coast through the thing MMO-style - visiting all possible places and clicking everything that can be clicked on autopilot until you're done.

Still, if that sort of thing puts you off, and you don't care about the possible endings anyway, you could consider ignoring all the secondary/tertiary stuff and just completing the meat of the game, up to the Conduit or even landing in London.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Android Blues posted:

I know the grieving widower archetype's been a staple of romance novels for as far back as they've existed in print, so it wouldn't surprise me that Bioware's milking that staple for all it's worth and then some.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
Bioware doesn't innovate or go on grand flights of imagination. Everything in Mass Effect is derived from something else. Their writing, in general, is filled with cliche.

There's nothing wrong with that. There's no obligation to reinvent the wheel. Everything is derivative of something else and originality isn't the first criterion for good fiction. When they go out of their depth, we end up with lots of speculation for everyone.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Ambiguatron posted:

Everything in Mass Effect is derived from something else.
Is the technical stuff (semi-relativistic FTL, lack of FTL sensors, general fleet doctrine) cribbed also, or is it original? I was pretty interested to see all of that stuff in the ME1 codex; the idea that dreadnoughts would engage only at standoff range (which would apparently rule out any George Lucas cinematic battles), the fact that an adversary's drive trail was more hazardous than their primary weapons, and the whole focus on heat management as the crux of combat.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Sombrerotron posted:

Knowing that the map of each Citadel area will indicate the presence of an NPC if you can hand in such a side mission is helpful, too.
Not completely true, there are a few of those that don't show up, annoyingly. Probably an oversight.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
From http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/324/index/10089946:

quote:

For the last eight years, Mass Effect has been a labor of love for our team; love for the characters we’ve created, for the medium of video games, and for the fans that have supported us. For us and for you, Mass Effect 3 had to live up to a lot of expectations, not only for a great gaming experience, but for a resolution to the countless storylines and decisions you’ve made as a player since the journey began in 2007. So we designed Mass Effect 3 to be a series of endings to key plots and storylines, each culminating in scenes that show you the consequences of your actions. You then carry the knowledge of these consequences with you as you complete the final moments of your journey.

We always intended that the scale of the conflict and the underlying theme of sacrifice would lead to a bittersweet ending—to do otherwise would betray the agonizing decisions Shepard had to make along the way. Still, we wanted to give players the chance to experience an inspiring and uplifting ending; in a story where you face a hopeless struggle for basic survival, we see the final moments and imagery as offering victory and hope in the context of sacrifice and reflection.

Like or hate the ending, there is no way you can twist the english language enough to have half of those paragraphs be true/accurate/valid/whatever.

quote:

So where do we go from here? Throughout the next year, we will support Mass Effect 3 by working on new content. And we’ll keep listening, because your insights and constructive feedback will help determine what that content should be. This is not the last you’ll hear of Commander Shepard.

Yeah for more DLC, which will likely continue to be overpriced!

What's really bad about the whole thing is people will still defend the ending occasionally. I mean, in most cases it's just a bunch of opinionated forum posts being thrown around. Then again why should Mass Effect be any different? Maybe the idea of defending the ending isn't so bad. After all it's not like people have actually raised over $60,000 for charity on a platform of being pissed off about the ending, right?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

While it is true that ME3 played out like a long farewell to lots of familiar stuff, I think that the "showing consequences" bit is where they fall flat. Saved the Rachni Queen in ME1? Great! You get a War Asset. Didn't bother? Well... she's hamhandedly inserted in the game anyway!

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Does Kaidan ever explain why he didn't want to bone male Shep in ME1? "Oh yeah, you and me we've been through so much together, Shepard. Us making out and hooking up just makes sense."

Also I am still disappointed that James isn't a love interest, gay or straight. He would've been a way funnier one than the grieving widower, for one, and he already flirts constantly with femshep, but apparently there's no chemistry there or something. Maybe they were trying to avoid another Jacob-esque "eye on the prize" moment.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

messagemode1 posted:

Does Kaidan ever explain why he didn't want to bone male Shep in ME1? "Oh yeah, you and me we've been through so much together, Shepard. Us making out and hooking up just makes sense."

Because the Mass Effect universe is PG-13 and there's no room for gays there (ignore all the gore and Jack dropping f-bombs like there's no tomorrow)

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Noxville posted:

Because the Mass Effect universe is PG-13 and there's no room for gays there (ignore all the gore and Jack dropping f-bombs like there's no tomorrow)
1) There are two known gay characters in Mass Effect 3. Neither is a stereotype either.
2) You said there aren't any gay people because the ME universe is PG-13 (according to whatever strict criteria you've made up, which obviously doesn't include violence or language). It's almost as if you're trying to say that gay people are inherently R-rated (as in, not for kids). Why do you think that?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

1) There are two known gay characters in Mass Effect 3. Neither is a stereotype either.
2) You said there aren't any gay people because the ME universe is PG-13 (according to whatever strict criteria you've made up, which obviously doesn't include violence or language). It's almost as if you're trying to say that gay people are inherently R-rated (as in, not for kids). Why do you think that?

(I think) He's sarcastically criticizing Bioware's implicit position that gays are R-rated and not for kids. It's not his actual position.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

nessin posted:

What's really bad about the whole thing is people will still defend the ending occasionally. I mean, in most cases it's just a bunch of opinionated forum posts being thrown around. Then again why should Mass Effect be any different? Maybe the idea of defending the ending isn't so bad. After all it's not like people have actually raised over $60,000 for charity on a platform of being pissed off about the ending, right?

Oh those crazy people and their opinions!

The endings weren't perfect, and the video has a bizarre continuity error, but it's exactly the kind of thing I was expecting and coming down 110% on the side of a group that contains people that complain that the ending isn't Shep kicking back on a beach somewhere is a little peculiar.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

messagemode1 posted:

(I think) He's sarcastically criticizing Bioware's implicit position that gays are R-rated and not for kids. It's not his actual position.

Yeah, the quote was from Casey Hudson to people asking about gay romances in ME2: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9026170

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Noxville posted:

Yeah, the quote was from Casey Hudson to people asking about gay romances in ME2: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9026170
Oh, well, that's really stupid then. Sorry for jumping on you about that.

I still think they handled it well in ME3.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Noxville posted:

I'm not sure if anyone's commented on this before, but since you mention gore: I was kind of surprised that enemies' heads can actually explode now. I mean, that never happened in ME1 or ME2, right? My memory isn't failing me horribly badly, is it?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I thought the ending was super neat :swoon:

But, you know who I miss? Harby. It was kind of weird to hear him talking poo poo throughout the entirety of ME2 and not hear so much as a peep from him in ME3. You'd think he'd at least send Shep an email to the effect of "HELLO SHEPARD YOU FOILED ME LAST TIME BUT VICTORY WILL BE OURS, SUBMIT NOW" or something.

e: whoops, spoiler tags

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 19, 2012

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I thought the ending was super neat :swoon:

But, you know who I miss? Harby. It was kind of weird to hear him talking poo poo throughout the entirety of ME2 and not hear so much as a peep from him in ME3. You'd think he'd at least send Shep an email to the effect of "HELLO SHEPARD YOU FOILED ME LAST TIME BUT VICTORY WILL BE OURS, SUBMIT NOW" or something.

one of the many things I feel they really dropped the ball on

By the way, was there ever an explanation on how Kaiden/Ashley avoided the collectors on Horizon despite being one of the first people stung?

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

messagemode1 posted:

Why did you spoiler that? Also, I'm still fairly irritated that Kaidan is bi but Ashley is not, and the argument that she's Christian and therefore straight is absurd-there are many gay Christians today, and I hardly think that situation would deteriorate in the next two centuries.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

NextTime000 posted:

one of the many things I feel they really dropped the ball on

By the way, was there ever an explanation on how Kaiden/Ashley avoided the collectors on Horizon despite being one of the first people stung?

Plot armor made my a space wizard.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

CaptainCarrot posted:

Why did you spoiler that? Also, I'm still fairly irritated that Kaidan is bi but Ashley is not, and the argument that she's Christian and therefore straight is absurd-there are many gay Christians today, and I hardly think that situation would deteriorate in the next two centuries.

Well, in fairness, they already have a few bi female characters, but no bi men. There are two bisexual women you can sleep with already in ME3.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Well, in fairness, they already have a few bi female characters, but no bi men. There are two bisexual women you can sleep with already in ME3.

Who? I'm pretty sure Traynor is gay and Allers is straight, and even if you count Liara that's still only one.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
So here's a small thing that's been bugging me: assuming that he's the Virmire Survivor, Kaiden is promoted to Major by ME3. According to the Codex entry on Alliance rankings, doesn't he outrank Shepard at this point?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

CaptainCarrot posted:

Who? I'm pretty sure Traynor is gay and Allers is straight, and even if you count Liara that's still only one.
Allers is bisexual.

Also, Kelly Chambers. She is bi in ME2 as well.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 19, 2012

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

CaptainCarrot posted:

Allers hit on me a lot and I got an option to ask her to stay the night as a female Shepard. I didn't take it so maybe she's just a tease? Nevertheless. Also yeah the other one I meant was Liara, I'd forgotten about Kelly.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
What is their explanation for the Rachni being back if you torched them previously? Do they explain it in game?.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nifft posted:

What is their explanation for the Rachni being back if you torched them previously? Do they explain it in game?.

You can sort of use the explanation that Cerberus got them from somewhere to experiment on in ME1. It's not like they ran Exogeni or whatever the lab you run through on Noveria is called.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nifft posted:

Yes, they explain it to the best of their ability. ;)

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Drei posted:

So here's a small thing that's been bugging me: assuming that he's the Virmire Survivor, Kaiden is promoted to Major by ME3. According to the Codex entry on Alliance rankings, doesn't he outrank Shepard at this point?

Yes. It's also strange that he's a Major, since I thought he was in the Navy like Shepard, so going by the Codex he should be a Captain (like Anderson is in the first game).

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

CaptainCarrot posted:

With Liara it's 3. If you want to include Morinth/Samara it's 5, since even though you can't go through with them they're still pretty clearly interested in both Sheps.

And you should count Liara and the other Asaris since they are referred to as "she", and look basically identical to human females except for hair tentacles and blue skin. Saying that the Asari are mono-gendered and don't have males or females is kind of ridiculous when they are all referred to as "she."

There's even a scene with Liara's "father" where Shepard tries to politely correct her that "On Earth, you would both be considered mothers."

Edit: I guess really the bisexual count is:
Bisexual Females - An entire species + 2
Bisexual Males - Kaidan

messagemode1 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Edit: Whoops, wrong info, sorry.

• Locked thread