Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
I'm about to attack the illusive man's base and what I'm thinking about are the party members I've had if this is getting near the end of the game. I'm kinda surprised (maybe after the amount of characters introduced in ME2) at the limited number, or maybe the lack of variety between them if this is all I get for the entire game. Not really a complaint but after checking the OP again I'm kinda surprised there wasn't more variety in your crew.

Also quick question should I start thinking about the war readiness at this point in the single player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

messagemode1 posted:

And you should count Liara and the other Asaris since they are referred to as "she", and look basically identical to human females except for hair tentacles and blue skin. Saying that the Asari are mono-gendered and don't have males or females is kind of ridiculous when they are all referred to as "she."

There's even a scene with Liara's "father" where Shepard tries to politely correct her that "On Earth, you would both be considered mothers."

Anthropocentric bag of dicks :jerkbag:

EDIT: drat yous Mentat, caught my edit. I blame autocorrect,

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 19, 2012

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Honestly, one thing that really burns my rear end is how Broshep's casual wear is a sweet N7 leather jacket, stylish v neck shirt and jeans, while femshep's casual wear is a black PVC looking dress. Doubly silly because it's just the same dress that the reporter lady is wearing.

My Broshep could pick up so much spacepoon in that outfit.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Anthropocentric back of dicks :jerkbag:

This made me laugh really long, and really hard.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
I have 4200 EMS now, am I good to go for the final missions? Pretty tired of the MP, I dislike horde modes on every game.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Hoop Laced poo poo posted:

I'm about to attack the illusive man's base and what I'm thinking about are the party members I've had if this is getting near the end of the game. I'm kinda surprised (maybe after the amount of characters introduced in ME2) at the limited number, or maybe the lack of variety between them if this is all I get for the entire game. Not really a complaint but after checking the OP again I'm kinda surprised there wasn't more variety in your crew.
Probably a matter of resources on the one hand and the consideration that perhaps ME2 had a few too many squadmates on the other (although that's debatable). I had expected to see some more people rejoin you, too, though.

quote:

Also quick question should I start thinking about the war readiness at this point in the single player?
Yes! I'm not exactly sure when it checks your war readiness, but it's best to get it together (if you really care about it - it's not going to make that much of a difference in the end, anyway) before you initiate the endgame by attacking TIM's base. Certainly you should have everything in order prior to the attack on Earth.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Honestly, one thing that really burns my rear end is how Broshep's casual wear is a sweet N7 leather jacket, stylish v neck shirt and jeans, while femshep's casual wear is a black PVC looking dress. Doubly silly because it's just the same dress that the reporter lady is wearing.

My Broshep could pick up so much spacepoon in that outfit.

This made me laugh really long, and really hard.

There is nothing ok about that dress. I'd be more attracted to a woman in baggy sweats than that dress, if that's what Bioware is going after. Otherwise, why not give her something professional looking?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

tadashi posted:

There is nothing ok about that dress. I'd be more attracted to a woman in baggy sweats than that dress, if that's what Bioware is going after. Otherwise, why not give her something professional looking?

Yea, I kept my femshep in the hoodie most of the same, sometime switching into the duty uniforms or dress uniform.

I also never noticed that there are notices for Sanctuary in a lot of places. Eden Prime has ones that say "its safe!". Cerebus, the best PR

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 19, 2012

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Drei posted:

So here's a small thing that's been bugging me: assuming that he's the Virmire Survivor, Kaiden is promoted to Major by ME3. According to the Codex entry on Alliance rankings, doesn't he outrank Shepard at this point?

Actually Kaidan outranked Shepard in 2! Shepard is a Lieutenant Commander and in 2 you find out Kaidan is a Staff Commander.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

skoolmunkee posted:

Actually Kaidan outranked Shepard in 2! Shepard is a Lieutenant Commander and in 2 you find out Kaidan is a Staff Commander.
I guess Shepard's got the same deal going that Garrus has in ME3, where higher-ranking officers salute him and go "sir" etc. because, while he's never actually been promoted, his effective rank is Supreme Admiral Marshal General or something.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 19, 2012

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Shep's effective rank is "badass".

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

tadashi posted:

I'm thinking this is the first ME game I won't replay. The side missions are so grating to me since:

1. I feel like the use of a guide is necessary to complete them since you can obtain quests before they are completable
2. It's hard to tell when I've completed missions. Once I finish a side-quest, I have to go read the quest text again to figure out if I've picked up the thing I thought I just recovered or if it's actually related to some other quest
3. The ending

I hate to sound like "this game should be more like WoW" but, with the number of side missions necessary to receive the "good" ending, they could have taken some notes on how other games deal with side quest completions. Just some sort of indicator in the Journal would have been a small detail that went a long way.

I'm less than halfway through the game and I'm already thinking the same thing. I was an achievement whore for the first two games, but for this? No thanks, at least for now. Every aspect of the game is a mess, not just the story. Will it be fixed in a year when I go back and replay it? Probably not. But if the DLC is priced reasonably I might give it a second chance.

Regarding the quests - the other two games notified you when you had moved forward or completed the quests. I have no idea why that was removed for ME3 but it is a huge pain in the rear end. Is it that hard to code so that once I pick up some dogtags on planet X, the journal can update the info and tell me to return to person X to finish the quest? And the fact that some of them are on a kind of timer with no warning is beyond stupid.

So far my favorite part of the game is some of the soundtrack and the updated Presidium. Yep. If I could toss the ME3 Presidium into the ME2 Citadel I'd be happy. Oh, and you can persuade TIM on Mars? As in the first actual mission of the game? What the gently caress? Pretty sure I never got that option.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

HoveringCheesecake posted:

So far my favorite part of the game is some of the soundtrack and the updated Presidium. Yep. If I could toss the ME3 Presidium into the ME2 Citadel I'd be happy. Oh, and you can persuade TIM on Mars? As in the first actual mission of the game? What the gently caress? Pretty sure I never got that option.

It's hidden in the 9 o clock more information option when you talk to him

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Regarding the quests - the other two games notified you when you had moved forward or completed the quests. I have no idea why that was removed for ME3 but it is a huge pain in the rear end. Is it that hard to code so that once I pick up some dogtags on planet X, the journal can update the info and tell me to return to person X to finish the quest? And the fact that some of them are on a kind of timer with no warning is beyond stupid.
You do get notified when you pick something up or complete a side mission (little window pops up in the lower right-hand corner; for side missions, they're almost always a variety of "got item X" or "acquired/updated war asset"), and one time I collected something before getting the actual mission, my journal told me to go to the Citadel and find someone who needed it. Apparently it doesn't always work, but in the majority of cases, all you need to do is call up the map while at the Citadel to see if there's anyone in the area you should talk to.

I'm pretty sure there's no timers either, it's just that the Cerberus attack on the Citadel, which takes place the first time you visit after (not) curing the genophage signals a mid-game point of no return that makes a few side missions impossible to complete. It's vexing that you don't get any warning of that happening, but otherwise you can do everything at your leisure.

quote:

Oh, and you can persuade TIM on Mars? As in the first actual mission of the game? What the gently caress? Pretty sure I never got that option.
You can try to persuade him, but you'll fail. To give it a go, you need to select the left-hand dialogue option (the "investigate" type choice) when you first talk to him.

e:fb (mostly)

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

GulMadred posted:

Is the technical stuff (semi-relativistic FTL, lack of FTL sensors, general fleet doctrine) cribbed also, or is it original? I was pretty interested to see all of that stuff in the ME1 codex; the idea that dreadnoughts would engage only at standoff range (which would apparently rule out any George Lucas cinematic battles), the fact that an adversary's drive trail was more hazardous than their primary weapons, and the whole focus on heat management as the crux of combat.

The specifics and the way it's all tied together are pretty clever, but networks of instant jump points, uncommon elements that have a property related to faster than light travel, and a biological explanation for space magic have all shown up in speculative fiction before.

Up until they get pointlessly over-explained the Reapers are straight out of Lovecraft: the whole galaxy thought the godlike precursor race were benevolent yadda yadda yadda and it turns out they're all incomprehensible monsters of vast scale who drive lesser beings mad through their sheer presence and don't care about mortal beings at all. Even the virtually immortal, super-advanced Asari are as insects to them. They're very Lovecraft, actually, right down to space being their natural habitat.

The heat thing comes up but Mass Effect makes a much, much bigger deal of it than most stuff. They're actually pretty clever how they account for and integrate it into the lore and the mechanics. It's also true; space isn't "cold", its' a vacuum, and dealing with built up heat would be a serious issue for hypothetical long distance space travel.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
I think my favorite Renegade moment of this game (which, to be fair, have been pretty tame comparing to the last two games) was at the Ardat-Yakshi sanctuary. Right after Samara blows her brains out, the lone surviving sister looks around her in grief while renegade Shepard basically says 'I can't let you leave', and while she pours her heart out of how she has nothing left, where would she go, etc, Shepard silently fires her gun and kills her, then just says 'let's get out of here'. It was pretty brutal.

I didn't even realize Samara had her gun against her head. If I had known what she was doing, I might have still pulled the paragon trigger. Guess that'll be my paragon Shepard's job.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

skoolmunkee posted:

Well yeah but it's less of an "issue" since you never work with him, so no chain of command comes into play. But in 3 you step onto the Normandy and you're immediately the one calling the shots.

Someone on the previous page mentioned that Major is an army rank. I have no knowledge on real world military protocol but maybe he transferred to take on the Biotics Squad training? I don't know if rank extends laterally across branches but if not maybe navy rank takes primacy once you're off Earth.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Well, according to the wiki, these are the ranks they use in Mass Effect.

quote:

ENLISTED

Serviceman 3rd Class/Private 2nd Class
Serviceman 2nd Class/Private 1st Class
Serviceman 1st Class/Corporal

NCOs

Service Chief
Gunnery Chief
Operations Chief

OFFICERS

2nd Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Staff Lieutenant
Lieutenant Commander
Staff Commander
Captain/Major
Rear Admiral/General
Admiral
Fleet Admiral

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
This might be a stupid question, but if you make your name Lola does Vega have different lines with you?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

weaaddar posted:

This might be a stupid question, but if you make your name Lola does Vega have different lines with you?

Probably not, but that would be pretty hilarious.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Shepard is also a Spectre, maybe in the Mass Effect universe that's an automatic "this guy is above my rank".

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

nap.app posted:

Shepard is also a Spectre, maybe in the Mass Effect universe that's an automatic "this guy is above my rank".

And then the Virmire survivor can become a Spectre too. :psyduck:

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
The vibe I always got from Hackett, while not technically so, in matters of the Reaper invasion, you may as well be an Admiral in the authority you wield. Hackett seems to consistently put you in a position of near absolute authority regarding matters of war. Also, the codex seems to imply that ranks between Marines and Navy are somewhat seamless, so Kaiden should, in fact, out-rank you. But again, this may be superseded by special authority given Shepard in light of the Reapers.

While it sounds like there isn't a current real world equivalent, I'd still be curious for any insight from any Navy goons in the real world on this situation.

Of course this could all be moot, and Shepard doesn't really have any authority exceeding his/her rank. It's just an unwritten understanding that if you disobey Shepard aboard the Normandy, regardless of rank, you get headbutted and kicked off.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Alliance navy picking order.

Udina
Ashley's Remains
The worms in the dirt
The Dirt
Mortals
Hackett
Anderson
Shepard

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Zedd posted:

Udina
Ashley's Remains
The worms in the dirt
The Dirt
Mortals
Hackett
Anderson
Shepard

As badass as Anderson is, he does in fact seem to answer to Hackett, though only just.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Zedd posted:

Udina
Ashley's Remains
The worms in the dirt
The Dirt
Mortals
Hackett
Anderson
Shepard
I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to read this list from top to bottom or from bottom to top.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to read this list from top to bottom or from bottom to top.

It's actually from right to left.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ambiguatron posted:

Up until they get pointlessly over-explained the Reapers are straight out of Lovecraft: the whole galaxy thought the godlike precursor race were benevolent yadda yadda yadda and it turns out they're all incomprehensible monsters of vast scale who drive lesser beings mad through their sheer presence and don't care about mortal beings at all. Even the virtually immortal, super-advanced Asari are as insects to them. They're very Lovecraft, actually, right down to space being their natural habitat.

I thought it was quite obvious by ME2 that they were created and that they came from somewhere. That there was an explanation and origin, even if it was unknown in the first two games rules out lovecraftian horror. There were very clear indications in the first two games that they were false creator "gods". Hell the title of the studio that produced the game "demiurge" carries that implication (especially given the other gnostic themes of the series). That the reapers were just a regular things like everything else (and not eldritch gods), really wasn't something the third game could escape given the plot of the first two.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Oh hey, I just remembered: in ME2 getting reinstated into Spectre status was a little sidequest that IIRC you weren't even required to complete. If for whatever reason you didn't do that, I wonder if that gets acknowledged somewhere (e.g. you get reinstated during the first council meeting).

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Sombrerotron posted:

You do get notified when you pick something up or complete a side mission (little window pops up in the lower right-hand corner; for side missions, they're almost always a variety of "got item X" or "acquired/updated war asset"), and one time I collected something before getting the actual mission, my journal told me to go to the Citadel and find someone who needed it. Apparently it doesn't always work, but in the majority of cases, all you need to do is call up the map while at the Citadel to see if there's anyone in the area you should talk to.

I'm pretty sure there's no timers either, it's just that the Cerberus attack on the Citadel, which takes place the first time you visit after (not) curing the genophage signals a mid-game point of no return that makes a few side missions impossible to complete. It's vexing that you don't get any warning of that happening, but otherwise you can do everything at your leisure.

e:fb (mostly)

The little window pops up in the right hand corner, but after you do a bunch of missions you can't just pull up your codex and see which things you've gathered anymore. The notification pops up for a second or two and then there's just no way to tell.

And the Grissom Academy and Tuchanka bomb quests are on secret timers -- if you wait too long to do them, you fail.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Oh hey, I just remembered: in ME2 getting reinstated into Spectre status was a little sidequest that IIRC you weren't even required to complete. If for whatever reason you didn't do that, I wonder if that gets acknowledged somewhere (e.g. you get reinstated during the first council meeting).

Yup. If you're no longer a Spectre, then the turian councilor reinstates you. If you were reinstated in 2, then he says "The Council has decided to uphold your Spectre status" which is complete bullshit because they didn't have any grounds to revoke it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CaptainCarrot posted:

Yup. If you're no longer a Spectre, then the turian councilor reinstates you. If you were reinstated in 2, then he says "The Council has decided to uphold your Spectre status" which is complete bullshit because they didn't have any grounds to revoke it.

If you did Arrival, they kind of do. Nuking a Batarian colony is kind of the opposite of what Spectres should do, if only because it risks STARTING a war for the Citadel races, not stopping one.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why are people pissed about From Ashes, again? There's a long fuckin' history of offering cool poo poo with the Collector's Edition of any game, and DLC is the modern-day version of a metal bust of a character or a batarang or whatever.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Scuzzywuffit posted:

The little window pops up in the right hand corner, but after you do a bunch of missions you can't just pull up your codex and see which things you've gathered anymore. The notification pops up for a second or two and then there's just no way to tell.
I know, the journal tracking is very badly done, but as I said you can just approach it like an MMO - don't bother reading anything, just go to each system, 100% it, then go back to the Citadel and consult the map/run around to see who can be clicked on.

quote:

And the Grissom Academy and Tuchanka bomb quests are on secret timers -- if you wait too long to do them, you fail.
This I did not know, actually. I'm assuming that the "timer" is actually a check based on the number of missions you've done since the mission became available?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

By the way, now that I finished the game I'm going to answer the question I asked myself a lot of pages ago:

While the ending was bad, it was not quite as bad as Deus Ex: Human Revolution's.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Urdnot Fire posted:

When was this? I legitimately can't remember it.

I was sure there was a Miranda "sister" mission that was DLC in ME2 and the only thing Miranda ever talks about is that same mission or things relating to it every time she talks to you in ME3.

It's the same with the shoehorned dialog about project overlord and the other DLC stuff.

Maybe it's more noticeable for me because I did all of the DLC for ME2 but didn't import the save so having all of these special scenes telling me about the DLC feels forced and out of place.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
are we still making fun of Tali fans?

quote:

I care for Tali'Zorah because I see a lot of my human significant other in her. She strives to be an engineer, is going to MIT, and Tali'Zorah's girlishness and naivete are far from a turn-off.

While I wouldn't agree that she's deep or complicated, I sympathize with her specific characteristics more than any other character in the game, and that makes me - as Shep - regret sleeping with Liara in the first game. Both because I formed an unbreakable bond with an Asari woman and then encountered another young woman who appealed to me more than Liara did.

"I want more time," and "All I see are the people I lost" are arguably my favourite lines from her character in ME3. She really is amazing. I'm glad I have a Tali'Zorah to go home to when I leave the Mass Effect universe... Even if my irl Tali is sleeping with Garrus in her game ;_;

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010
Don't know if this has been posted but ME3 for 360 is 40 bucks right now on the Microsoft store.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/list/categoryID.58732300?icid=XboxGames_1up_Save_Flex_Page

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Sombrerotron posted:

You get that notification pop-up for a few seconds, yes, but in the previous games your journal entry was actually updated. That was much better than the lovely little popup that they give you now. And yeah, I was talking about that point of no return. A little bit of a heads up would have been nice, because I lost 6 hours of game time making up those quests. Also, the secret timers that someone beat me to. Fortunately I managed to beat those.

Also, the ending isn't as bad as Human Revolution? I didn't even think HR's ending was that bad. It wasn't perfect, but that was my favorite game of 2011 by far.

antavila posted:

Don't know if this has been posted but ME3 for 360 is 40 bucks right now on the Microsoft store.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/list/categoryID.58732300?icid=XboxGames_1up_Save_Flex_Page

I hope this is a sign that sales are actually terrible. Sure, the CE may have been a hit but maybe the numbers aren't so good for the regular version of the game.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DEHR's actually fit the storyline though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

I hope this is a sign that sales are actually terrible. Sure, the CE may have been a hit but maybe the numbers aren't so good for the regular version of the game.

It's probably a sign they're making bucketloads from selling multiplayer packs.

• Locked thread