Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tremblay posted:

Hard code the MAC into the port configuration and only allow one auth'd MAC per that port. Any violation will shutdown the port (default action). I seem to be missing something... 802.1x will work it just seems overkill for this.
I think his concern was that the MAC is printed right on the phone, so it would be easy to clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Short of implementing NAC, you could theoretically put the switch into a known-good state and set up an SNMP trap system to send a shutdown to ifAdminStatus OID if it detects the port going down for any unknown reason. That way if anyone unplugs the phone you'd have to intervene to get the port back online.

I mean that would be an absolute hellish nightmare, but I guess if we're just throwing things out. If you can't trust MAC and don't want to go full out NAC then you're basically going to have to go into paranoid mode where you panic at the first sign of anyone pulling an ethernet cable.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 19, 2012

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
That idea is exactly what I want to implement, but I don't think there is a way to do that without an rw snmp string.

There are only 4 public phones that I care about, so I would only implement these security measures on those 4 ports.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

adorai posted:

I think his concern was that the MAC is printed right on the phone, so it would be easy to clone.

Fair but not a massive problem. This would knock out the stupid people. Port status could be monitored by the NMS. Have it send crit alerts when the port state flips. Do you guys have an IPS/IDS?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

That idea is exactly what I want to implement, but I don't think there is a way to do that without an rw snmp string.

Not unless you want to do something crazy hacky like set up a telnet script. But you'd have to hardcode all your passwords and things in there which sounds like a bad security practice.

You're probably boned either way you do it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Implement port security and scratch out the MAC address label? :P

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tremblay posted:

Fair but not a massive problem. This would knock out the stupid people. Port status could be monitored by the NMS. Have it send crit alerts when the port state flips. Do you guys have an IPS/IDS?

Like the situation at most large financial companies, doing anything correctly requires a herculean effort, so while we have an IDS/IPS they are controlled by some other terrible bureaucratic group, so I can't actually use those tools effectively to actually DO anything.

Oh well, the imperfect solution of sticky-mac will have to work.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

jwh posted:

Like this:

Is there a specific program you use to make this?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Implement port security and scratch out the MAC address label? :P

Obviously tongue-in-cheek, but if anyone takes it seriously unfortunately the MAC is used for autoconfiguration on every VoIP phone I've ever touched, so scratching it out just makes the admins' lives harder. Also, device status menus are almost always wide open for anyone to push a few buttons and have the MAC show up on the display. Polycoms and IIRC Snoms even display it as part of the boot process.

MAC-based security is pretty much universally a stupid idea.

I'm actually not sure what the right answer is, since the attacks made famous by the Pwn Plug recently seem like they'll work anywhere one can gain physical access to a port used by a trusted device. Martytoof's auto-shutdown idea would work, but obviously would make for a hell of a headache when machines need to be rebooted.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It won't be too bad since it is <5 phones. If we ever have to scale higher than that, then 802.1x is the only solution that I know of.

Also the first "solution" that someone told me was to scratch the MAC off. Security through obscurity :eng99:

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Powercrazy posted:

It won't be too bad since it is <5 phones. If we ever have to scale higher than that, then 802.1x is the only solution that I know of.

Also the first "solution" that someone told me was to scratch the MAC off. Security through obscurity :eng99:

How about auto smartports? When the switch detects a phone trough LLDP/CDP it configures the port accordingly (clearing the config on link down). Then you can make a secondary macro that is used if it cannot identify a phone - placing the PC / whatever in a dead VLAN perhaps?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/54sg/configuration/guide/automacr.html

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

ICOMM - Introduction to Cisco Voice and UC Administration
CVoice - Implementing Cisco Unified Communications Voice over IP and QoS

I took "ICOMM" or "ACCMU" or whatever it was. I assume every training class has:

- idiots
- jerks

so I ended up with people at the course who seemed to just be using a computer for the first time, and several people who played iPhone and asked the lecturer stupid questions. It was like a flash back to college.

If you've done basic system administration for MACs, maybe poked a route pattern, setup some Unity mailboxes and basic integration, then you probably shouldn't waste your time on that. They spent about 15 seconds on packet structure, codec, etc, and moved right on to point 'n click. And when I took it, it was CUCM 6, we had just moved off of 4, and now we're on 8 which has an entirely new pile of things.

CVoice is the pro one as far as I can tell, and then you go out and take the CCNA Voice is what I figured. Since I rarely get into it, I haven't bothered, and the deployment guides for the UCM anyways explain much. Unity can go eat it though.

citywok
Sep 8, 2003
Born To Surf
We have a 12mbit MPLS connection which also services our internet. If one person downloads something big it can cause our latency to jump to 800ms, so I'm looking for a way to rate limit every device to a max of 2 or 3mbit so no one user can saturate the connection.

What is the best way to do this?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

wolrah posted:

Oh goodie. I have one of those (SF300-24P) coming in for a customer tomorrow. They lost their only PoE switch capable of both Prestandard and 802.3af and this was the most desirable (read: cheapest) replacement option. At least they don't use any managed switch features, it's just there for the PoE, so I should only have to deal with it if I need to remote reboot them.

Is it just the same old SRW224G4P interface or did they somehow make it worse after the Cisco rebranding?

I have a growing number of SG300-24Ps. I'm not sure about heroin but the web interface is about on par for web interfaces for these things. The CLI menu is utterly pointless and needs to be shot. Also I like the "console only" management ACL you can enable, prompting you to have to go to the device and use the console to undo this action. Or, pull the cord since you can't save to apply that if you weren't already using the console in the first place.

Upgrade the software. Note the caveats in the 1.1.1.8 release notes. There are 1.1.2.0 notes if you look but they don't really seem to change anything. This gives you an "IOS like" CLI which you can frustrate yourself with.

The device can do much of what Cisco's limited edge devices can, but, it's not completely feature packed. If you look at the running config you will have a stroke, but, you can apply configuration commands with ranges or in blocks, it just prints each setting in individual interface config blocks for some reason.

VoIP on these used the OUI method but, at least now (didn't dare try it in the terrible stock firmware) you can turn on an auto smartport to pick up on the CDP/LLDP phone capabilities, and run a macro that applies the voice vlan to the port.

There are some other quirks to these but they are not the worst thing in the world, and leagues better than whatever office depot unit the departments would have come up with on their own. So far so good.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Anjow posted:

What are the settings on the other side? I had a channel that wouldn't come up not long ago, both sides were set to auto, when one had to be set to passive.

You can run both sides active. It will just be... active instead of listening for LACP PDUs first. While my understanding is that LACP is "off" while there is only one active member in the channel group, I am able to use that as a tagged link with a single port for recovery purposes if something blows up. If it were suspended, that obviously wouldn't do me any good.

Then again, I've seen LACP implode on a resource constrained switch. It would be nice to have the other side suspend itself, but, it may not anyways.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Cisco ASA 5505

I'd like to do port forwarding on the Firewall. We want to enable SSH access from the outside, but not on the default port. We have a bunch of users accessing a system via the default port on the inside, so we didn't want to change it on the system itself, just for external users to get to it.

external.address.com:222 -> external.address.com:22

Is that possible with just an access rule?

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Partycat posted:

This gives you an "IOS like" CLI which you can frustrate yourself with.

I have to disagree, if you are familiar with IOS then the SG300s will be a breeze to configure. The only caveat is the 'switchport default-vlan tagged' which you will not be familiar with.

Proper config to trunk VLANS 1,2,3 as tagged and 10 as native:
code:
srvswitch#sh run int gi6
interface gigabitethernet6
 description WLC
 lldp med disable
 switchport default-vlan tagged
 switchport trunk allowed vlan add 2-3
 switchport trunk native vlan 10
!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Xenomorph posted:

Cisco ASA 5505

I'd like to do port forwarding on the Firewall. We want to enable SSH access from the outside, but not on the default port. We have a bunch of users accessing a system via the default port on the inside, so we didn't want to change it on the system itself, just for external users to get to it.

Are you trying to change the SSH port for ssh access to the ASA or are you trying to change the SSH port # for a static nat translation?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I don't think you can change the port the ASA listens on for ssh. if this is some attempt at security, lock it down to specific IPs.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Xenomorph posted:

Cisco ASA 5505

You have to do PAT to pull that off. I think you also want to do something more like

external.address.com:222 -> dmz.address.com:22 or inside.address.com

What version are you running on the ASA?

Or are you talking about enabling SSH from the outside to the ASA? If so, don't. Configure an IPSec VPN instead and connect inside then ssh into the firewall.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

citywok posted:

We have a 12mbit MPLS connection which also services our internet. If one person downloads something big it can cause our latency to jump to 800ms, so I'm looking for a way to rate limit every device to a max of 2 or 3mbit so no one user can saturate the connection.

What is the best way to do this?
It's going to be easier to decide how much of your bandwidth to allocate to Internet traffic and police or shape all traffic from the Internet to that rate than to try to do it per-user. Unless you happen to have a platform that supports micro-flow policing in path between your 12mbps pipe and your users? That seems unlikely though, given the link speed. Another possibility is to classify Internet traffic to a unique DSCP/CoS value and shape it to 2 or 3 mbps on each user switch port, but that is a lot of effort compared to just shaping/policing organisation wide.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a BT Hub (modem/router) thing that came with our 8Mb ADSL line, and a Cisco ASA 5505 that I need to use to create a VPN connection to our head office.

I do customer facing support and sometimes swap people's crumb-filled keyboards out for new ones. I'm not a network engineer but naturally it all got dumped on me becuase I am "the computer guy". I have a decent understanding of networking from personal experience so I know what I need it to do but just can't get it working.

I connect the ASA to the Hub and it gets an IP from DHCP. We have five external IPs, but as soon as I assign one to the ASA, the ASA just disappears from the network and the router says it can't see it.

I forwarded an IP to my own desktop machine and it worked fine, so as far as I can tell the Hub is doing it's thing fine.

I've tried putting the ASA on the static IP that I want and on DHCP but neither works, it just doesn't get an IP from the Hub or doesn't like the way that it is getting it, I don't really know.

A different but possibly related issue: if I try to change the internal IP or DHCP range on the ASA it just disappears entirely and nothing can connect to it until I hard reset it.

I don't really know what I'm doing and I doubt anyone can help much without actually seeing what is happeneing but I figured it was worth a post.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
WAP question.

Have a customer with a LAN made up of three 3750s in different locations trunked together. Got a WLC for vlan 130 and ip range 192.168.130.0. .5 is the IP on the WLC.

In one of the locations the WAP stopped working. It would cycle through red/amber/green constantly and quickly. I figured WAP was bad as tech took a working WAP from another location and plugged it in and it was working.

I took them a brand new, boxed, WAP. Exact same problem. They swapped the new but not working WAP for one that was working at a different location. That one works at disabled WAPs location and the non working WAP doesn't work at the working WAP's previous location.

It also cycles through colors very quickly. The ethernet and radio LED will be green momentarily and then turn off or go amber. The WAP will broadcast a radio signal for about 10 seconds before it turns from green to the cycle.

Any ideas before I drive way out there myself?

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

WAP question.

Have a customer with a LAN made up of three 3750s in different locations trunked together. Got a WLC for vlan 130 and ip range 192.168.130.0. .5 is the IP on the WLC.

In one of the locations the WAP stopped working. It would cycle through red/amber/green constantly and quickly. I figured WAP was bad as tech took a working WAP from another location and plugged it in and it was working.

I took them a brand new, boxed, WAP. Exact same problem. They swapped the new but not working WAP for one that was working at a different location. That one works at disabled WAPs location and the non working WAP doesn't work at the working WAP's previous location.

It also cycles through colors very quickly. The ethernet and radio LED will be green momentarily and then turn off or go amber. The WAP will broadcast a radio signal for about 10 seconds before it turns from green to the cycle.

Any ideas before I drive way out there myself?

Sounds like your controller discovery is failing. (though my head hurts from trying to figure out all possible scenarios from your explanation).
Make sure you have either DHCP option 43 or a DNS domain name lookup (namely CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.localdomain / CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER.localdomain) working from all locations so that the APs can find their way home. (assuming the APs are in a different L3 network than the controller)

If all the APs are in the same l2 domain as the controller AND you have a 4400 or 2100 controller, make sure you have blocked the ap-manager ip address from being handed out by DHCP.

ior fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 20, 2012

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Is there a specific program you use to make this?

Visio

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

In one of the locations the WAP stopped working.
What is that WAP plugged into?

citywok
Sep 8, 2003
Born To Surf

ruro posted:

It's going to be easier to decide how much of your bandwidth to allocate to Internet traffic and police or shape all traffic from the Internet to that rate than to try to do it per-user. Unless you happen to have a platform that supports micro-flow policing in path between your 12mbps pipe and your users? That seems unlikely though, given the link speed. Another possibility is to classify Internet traffic to a unique DSCP/CoS value and shape it to 2 or 3 mbps on each user switch port, but that is a lot of effort compared to just shaping/policing organisation wide.

It is QoS'd, the issue is one user can make the internet slow for the entire office by downloading just one file, or by running windows update. It's odd, but a 10mbit download stream from windows update can cause an 800ms ping for everybody making the internet pretty brutal. This is why I was thinking of limiting each user so it would only give them an 800ms ping and everybody else would be okay.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

That's not odd at all, that's more or less the expected behavior. As utilization increases, queuing delay increases, and latency increases.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

jwh posted:

What is that WAP plugged into?

A 3750 interface with the correct vlan. Vlan 130 and the 130.0 /24 range. Vlan 130 is trunked to the WLC on another switch. All switches are trunked together and are not pruning vlans.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Partycat posted:

Cisco 300 stuff...

Thanks for the info. It got delayed and finally came in yesterday, but my boss wanted to get it out to the customer ASAP so I only got the chance to upgrade the firmware (it still had a 2010 firmware which did not support Prestandard PoE) and set up SNMP. I haven't touched the CLI but the web UI, as lovely as it is, is leaps and bounds beyond the old Linksys SRW line this thing apparently descends from.

I discovered also that if you change the password as prompted to on first login, but then don't save the change (I wasn't expecting that based on previous SRW experience), upgrading the firmware results in an inaccessible device which you then have to factory reset.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So Cisco is bringing out a new 10gbe switch with decent density and not quite as $kidney as the nexus stuff. But no deliveries before summer :mad:

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

citywok posted:

It is QoS'd, the issue is one user can make the internet slow for the entire office by downloading just one file, or by running windows update. It's odd, but a 10mbit download stream from windows update can cause an 800ms ping for everybody making the internet pretty brutal. This is why I was thinking of limiting each user so it would only give them an 800ms ping and everybody else would be okay.
Ahh, you meant 800ms to/from the Internet only?

If you're already running end-to-end QoS internally and your Internet traffic is has a unique DSCP or CoS marking you could configure an egress queue on your access switches for use by Internet traffic only and then shape it? This will probably only work properly on 10/100 access switches though.

E.g.:
Internet is sole user of CoS 1:

mls qos srr-queue output cos-map queue 4 threshold 3 1
int fa 0/1
srr-queue bandwidth shape 25 0 0 2 ! (25 is default for priority queue, remove it if you don't use it).

Alternatively you'd probably need some sort of proxy to do it.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

evil_bunnY posted:

So Cisco is bringing out a new 10gbe switch with decent density and not quite as $kidney as the nexus stuff. But no deliveries before summer :mad:

More info? I haven't heard anything about this yet and we are looking at a bunch of 5k's or 3k's for 10gb right now

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Our rep seemed to hint at a 4500 but with just SFP+.
I really wish we could get some non-cisco stuff since I have 0 need for the nexus specific features. The most advanced poo poo I need is cross stack etherchannel.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

evil_bunnY posted:

Our rep seemed to hint at a 4500 but with just SFP+.
I really wish we could get some non-cisco stuff since I have 0 need for the nexus specific features. The most advanced poo poo I need is cross stack etherchannel.

Langolas posted:

More info? I haven't heard anything about this yet and we are looking at a bunch of 5k's or 3k's for 10gb right now

4500-X, 1U, 40 port SFP+ with VSS support!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12332/index.html

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ior posted:

4500-X, 1U, 40 port SFP+ with VSS support!
:frogsiren: Now if only they'd be able to actually sell one to me.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

ior posted:

The only caveat is the 'switchport default-vlan tagged' which you will not be familiar with.

Well it's not terrible, there are just some things which are in a different place, but, it is understandable anyways. The smartports are just a bit of a pain for me since I haven't had to deal with them, but, with VoIP here it seems that isn't much of an option to avoid them.

What's the purpose of that command you listed? Wouldn't you normally not tag the PVID?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

wolrah posted:

Thanks for the info. It got delayed and finally came in yesterday, but my boss wanted to get it out to the customer ASAP so I only got the chance to upgrade the firmware (it still had a 2010 firmware which did not support Prestandard PoE) and set up SNMP.

Good to know about the password. I could set the password via the web, but, when I entered the password I wanted into the CLI, it whined about complexity. I pasted the hash of the non-complex password and it shut up, which it should since it's a hash.

With SNMP you have to pick a version, or don't, but, I couldn't define a string to be V1 AND V2 with groups, it's one or the other. With basic it doesn't need to be specified and it works.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Partycat posted:

Well it's not terrible, there are just some things which are in a different place, but, it is understandable anyways. The smartports are just a bit of a pain for me since I haven't had to deal with them, but, with VoIP here it seems that isn't much of an option to avoid them.

What's the purpose of that command you listed? Wouldn't you normally not tag the PVID?

Yes, but when setting native vlan to 10 it will not allow or tag vlan 1 over the trunk without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

A 3750 interface with the correct vlan. Vlan 130 and the 130.0 /24 range. Vlan 130 is trunked to the WLC on another switch. All switches are trunked together and are not pruning vlans.

As he said the cycling lights mean that it is trying to join the controller. If you look at the console it may give you an idea why it left the controller. AFAIK it won't move between controllers until it loses contact or is booted, so I don't see why DNS would screw with it once it is already online.

You could always do "lwapp ap controller ip address X.X.X.X" and specifiy if you wanted to avoid DNS (or configure controller IP in WCS) but I bet the problem is elsewhere.