Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've got the money for two (2) more books. All I own is DH.

I've got it narrowed to the follow;

Inqusitors Handbook
Ascension
RT
BC
DW

HELP ME DECIDE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
Inquisitor's Handbook is nice in terms of providing a lot more gear and expanded abilities, but I suppose it's not really necessary unless you want to GM something, since the info in it is really stuff you don't need the book for.

The others really depend on what type of games you're interested in. Blowing stuff up, investigating or buying stuff... Oh, and heresying it!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I think the real question on everyone's lips is, What happened to 'Only War...'?

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Just played in my first game of Rogue Trader tonight and it was awesome. I'm not terribly familiar with the 40k world, but with our whole group rolling our characters homeworld, motivation, class etc. randomly we ended up with a pretty awesome group.

I'm surprised by how much fun I had, since my general thoughts from what I had seen of 40k have been pretty negative until this.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Wow, someone comes out as a developer, says they can't answer questions yet, and still gets badgered with them. I think we're not going to get much more until NDAs aren't an issue.

What I'm wondering is why the adventure modules were in hardback, when the standard for other games' modules seems to be paper.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Heh, typical. My answers are, "Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, and dunno." If you want, I can talk about books that are already on shelves. That's what my NDA lets me talk about.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Sarx posted:

Just played in my first game of Rogue Trader tonight and it was awesome. I'm not terribly familiar with the 40k world, but with our whole group rolling our characters homeworld, motivation, class etc. randomly we ended up with a pretty awesome group.

I'm surprised by how much fun I had, since my general thoughts from what I had seen of 40k have been pretty negative until this.
Just want to chime in, I was the guy what ran this game for Sarx and crew. I actually printed out a bunch of lovingly-retyped walkthroughs of picking your class (with examples from other Sci-Fi) as well as cheat sheets and flowcharts to making a character. Still took about 90 minutes for everyone, even with 1 1/2 books (1 real book and 1 on a tablet).

The adventure was fairly straightforward - the party is a no-fame crew on a salvage barge cruising the remains of a big space-battle site looking for salvage when a capital ship from a long-thought-defeated enemy flotilla-nation drops in out of warp on top of them, cripples their ship and then warps away, leaving homing mines to finish the job.

The NPC captain orders to abandon ship (staying behind himself, because 'Captain' and all) and the PCs make for the escape pods. But before they do, the Missionary gives benediction to the NPC captain, then the Arch-Militant shoots him in the head (:commissar:!) because "It's faster," and they escape.

The party along with a few other escape-pod-ees find a derilect hulk floating in the ship graveyard that looks intact except the main bridge is lasered straight through, and they board. Suitably creeped out, they descend into its bowels to power everything on, and then the Navigator informs them there is a "warp presence" on the ship.

They head up into the crew quarters to find the lone, long-gone-insane Astropath, who has the Inspire Fear and Command powers, and (in a 5-on-1 conflict), gently caress him up royally, but not before the Rogue Trader character falls unconscious in a gibbering, catatonic mess from Fear (3) and failing by 7 degrees, followed by rolling a 70 on the insanity chart (hitting 140 on the meter) and the Seneschal shoots the Missionary in the leg from the Astropath's Command ability.

They limp back to Port Wander after renaming the ship the Valkyrie and were docking as we ended the game.

All in all, I would say the "playing the game" part went well, though they are suddenly intensely aware that the highest Tech-Use in the party is just 27. The "Character Creation" part didn't go so smoothly, but that was certainly exacerbated by having not enough books and only 2 people remotely familiar with the game.

EDIT: I want to mention, I had created about 20 NPC names for various "fill-in" roles on the ship, and the Missionary noticed he could trade crew size for morale. He rolled a 3, and so I handed over the list of NPCs and had him scratch off 3 names.
We retcon'd this as the Missionary discovering a nascent mutiny and venting those three dudes into space.

Man-Thing fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 15, 2012

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Man-Thing posted:

I'm running a game with some people who have never done a 40k game before. Mind if I totally rip off your premise?

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Sanzuo posted:

I'm running a game with some people who have never done a 40k game before. Mind if I totally rip off your premise?
Stealing is cool. I stole my open by cobbling together like five different sci-fi franchises.

PM me your email and I'll send you scans of my game notes. Check my other post in this thread for a list of resources I put together for actually running a game (handouts and players aids and whatnot)

Man-Thing fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 17, 2012

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Thanks, mostly I like the idea of "the players serving under an NPC captain, ship explodes, players now on their own in unknown space" kind of thing.

We also have a very narrow window of game time and I haven't met most of these players, so I'm going really fast and loose with the game mechanics this time around and will have some pre-gens ready to go just in case.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Would anyone care to give me their thoughts on the various "Monster Manual" type books available? Which are the best, which do you recommend etc?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Creatures Anathema is pretty much the go-to book for all of your alien monster needs. It has a huge amount of things for your players to kill/be killed by. The other core books usually have some pretty good lists of antagonists. Barring that, you can just stat up something really quick and flavor it however you want.

I'm wondering if using the revised combat mechanics from Black Crusade in my Rogue Trader game is a good idea. The rules are of course way better, but it might be confusing to the players.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Disciples of the Dark Gods has some excellent baddies that are fleshed out extensively to the point of being useable as the basis for entire campaigns, as well as a few things that can be used by both players and enemies (some Sorcery and Daemon Weapon rules that are also in the Radical's Handbook, some extra Psyker powers, and a few xenos items), and an adventure that is a prequel to the Haarlock trilogy. It's a great buy.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Sanzuo posted:

I'm wondering if using the revised combat mechanics from Black Crusade in my Rogue Trader game is a good idea. The rules are of course way better, but it might be confusing to the players.

That's what we've been doing, though there's some interesting interaction with other things in the system. Bit by bit we've converted a lot of the crunch over to Black Crusade, including the skill list (which is nice because it gets rid of poo poo like Blather) though that has required a little bit of altering of the different classes.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Signal posted:

Blather

Blather is great, though. Granted, it's basically just Bluff with an emphasis on stalling for time, but in DH and RT that's a thing you want to do.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oh sure, but there's not really any reason it shouldn't be just an alternate use of Deceive. I'd even throw in a bonus if you have some applicable Common Lore skills which can give you a base for meandering off into nowhere. As its own skill though, it's vastly overspecific, especially compared to a skill such as, say, Tech-Use.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Probably true. I kind of imagine it was put there to depict an Adept who couldn't lie to save his life, but could bog matters down in technicalities without thinking twice.

That's kind of the same thinking that gave us Scum who can't learn Scrutiny no matter how high their rank. Because if there's one weakness of crime lords it's that they're easy to lie to, right?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Problem - My Ultramarines character has three different bolters, 3 different swords, a knife, and lots of grenades/magazines as a result of character advances giving me lots of freebies. I cannot use all of these at once and I have no clue what to do with all of them.

Solution - I spend 400 XP on getting up to Trained rank in Performer/Juggling. Uses have been found! :dance:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

Problem - My Ultramarines character has three different bolters, 3 different swords, a knife, and lots of grenades/magazines as a result of character advances giving me lots of freebies. I cannot use all of these at once and I have no clue what to do with all of them.

Solution - I spend 400 XP on getting up to Trained rank in Performer/Juggling. Uses have been found! :dance:

Your other option is a Techmarine, the Twin-Linked weapon quality, and a pile of thrones...

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Your other option is a Techmarine, the Twin-Linked weapon quality, and a pile of thrones...
Or poach the Wrist Mounted upgrades from Rogue Trader and walk around telling everyone you're Marneus Calgar.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Talkie Toaster posted:

Or poach the Wrist Mounted upgrades from Rogue Trader and walk around telling everyone you're Marneus Calgar.

That too.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Finished the Stolen Introduction Session.

The players arrived at The Battleground as members of the crew of an NPC captain (the RT's 'uncle' who was grooming his nephew to eventually take command after he retired). They go looking for something super valuable amongst the field of wrecked space hulks. This is where I take the time to explain to the players what exactly a space ship is in 40k and what their jobs are.

Once everyone's clear on that they look around the space debris before one of the hulks turns out to be a Chaos cruiser that was running on silent. It powers up before chasing down the player's tugboat and starts shooting it to bits. The players decide to abandon ship and hope the cruiser doesn't notice.

They watch their old ship and home get cut in half by lance weapons and explode. (Uncle...) Then they go looking for a ship that might serve as a replacement. They find a derelict ship with a plasma core that still has a spark of life and decide to claim it.

(Instead of a crazy astropath like Man-Thing used, I decided it had a small Rak'gol infestation. Hoo boy I forgot how hard those things are to take down.)

After barely clearing out the Rak'gol, the players set to getting the ship in operational order. That is when I handed them their ship sheet and they got to "rebuild" their ship from scratch. I let them use as many Ship Points they wanted and used the leftover points as their starting Profit Factor. They ended up with a kick-rear end ship (with like 6% crew) and a profit Factor of 39.

They claim they had a good time, even though a handful of Rak'gol nearly killed them all. (I fudged a bit. These guys were kinda new.)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I have a pretty simple fluff question: about how big is a Black Ship of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica, and how many psykers would a "full" one have on board? I'm running a Black Crusade campaign right now and my players' warband is going to try to capture one.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

"too many."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Signal posted:

"too many."

And "too big". Bring a couple squads of CSMs with Librarian support. Expect to lose a bunch.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

mllaneza posted:

And "too big". Bring a couple squads of CSMs with Librarian support. Expect to lose a bunch.

Oh, the players are but a lowly heretek and renegade -- the campaign is more their plight as humans following an ascendant Slaaneshi Chaos Space Marine warband, and the capture of the Black Ship will be the event which propels that warband into being a major power in the Vortex. Don't worry, most of the heavy lifting won't be done by the players, but by the band of sorcerers, noise marines, and other drug-addled space lunatics they're serving. The experience I'm going for is "first class ticket on a runaway train to hell".

Don't worry, I'm giving the Black Ship proper "weight", so to speak -- I'm framing it as an operation that's taken decades of planning, including the corruption of Inquisitorial agents and solar-system scale Chaos rituals in order to actually pull off.

Anyway, I do need some idea of how many captive psykers should be involved. In the hundreds? Thousands?

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 19, 2012

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Anyway, I do need some idea of how many captive psykers should be involved. In the hundreds? Thousands?

Well, it depends on how long this Black Ship in particular has been out in this sector, and how close they are to reaching their psyker-quota, but I would say at the very least a few thousand, perhaps even hundreds of thousands. I mean, I don't know the exact numbers or anything, but considering once they get back to Terra they'll be sacrificing a thousand of these pskyers daily, I'd imagine they probably like to come back with more than a few days worth.

Of course, that's just my opinion, so do take it with a grain of salt and all that. This sounds like a pretty cool game, by the way, I hope it goes well. :)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Locomotive breath posted:

Well, it depends on how long this Black Ship in particular has been out in this sector, and how close they are to reaching their psyker-quota, but I would say at the very least a few thousand, perhaps even hundreds of thousands. I mean, I don't know the exact numbers or anything, but considering once they get back to Terra they'll be sacrificing a thousand of these pskyers daily, I'd imagine they probably like to come back with more than a few days worth.

Of course, that's just my opinion, so do take it with a grain of salt and all that. This sounds like a pretty cool game, by the way, I hope it goes well. :)

Yeah, I'll probably just go with "shitloads". Something in 5-6 figures. Half of them are going to be ground up into psychic space drugs and released into the slave deck air circulators anyway.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Get some of those drugs that amplify psychic abilties. Make a new Eye of terror

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mllaneza posted:

Man, a chaos space marine librarian would be pissing into the wind with all the hexagrammatic wards they would have going on int here. A Black Ship is gonna be crawling with ridiculously strong dudes (grey knights even), badass Inquisitors, Sororitas, maybe an imperial saint. every inch of the place is gonna be covered in wards to hold down the psychic powers whipping around in there. Also the ship is gonna be designed as a compartmentalized fortress so that they can just devastate individual rooms to take care of any especially strong witches who might get out of control.

I just can't see a strike team taking one. maybe if you managed to suck it into a warpstorm?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Liesmith posted:

Man, a chaos space marine librarian would be pissing into the wind with all the hexagrammatic wards they would have going on int here. A Black Ship is gonna be crawling with ridiculously strong dudes (grey knights even), badass Inquisitors, Sororitas, maybe an imperial saint. every inch of the place is gonna be covered in wards to hold down the psychic powers whipping around in there. Also the ship is gonna be designed as a compartmentalized fortress so that they can just devastate individual rooms to take care of any especially strong witches who might get out of control.

I just can't see a strike team taking one. maybe if you managed to suck it into a warpstorm?

The plan is pretty much "get like 3 dudes inside including a sorcerer, kill the navigator and drag the ship into the warp before everyone comes and murders you".

Once the ship's stranded, it'll be an ongoing war to take over the thing deck by deck, but the CSM's will be able to take their time. It'll be more of a backdrop -- the players will be doing other things, but in the meantime the warband will continue to reclaim more of the ship, get access to more psykers and become more powerful/corrupted. Of course, they'll be signing their own death warrant as well, since the Inquisition is going to be, uh, pretty mad.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 19, 2012

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hey dude who makes this stuff! Are there any plans for being able to play Eldar?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Liesmith posted:

Even if they won't be directly useful as psykers, the CSM Librarians are exactly the type of advisors I'd want along on that sort of hell ride. They'd be your best resource for what the Imperial psykers can do.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Even if they won't be directly useful as psykers, the CSM Librarians are exactly the type of advisors I'd want along on that sort of hell ride. They'd be your best resource for what the Imperial psykers can do.

Remember that a Black Ship isn't only (or even mostly) Imperial Psykers - it's going to have an absolute ton of rogue/uncontrolled/mad ones on it too, who've been cooped up for years and years in a tiny metaphysical cell. Sure, some might help you, some might be predictable, but the vast majority of the powerful ones are going to instantly become unbound, omnicidal daemonhosts or otherwise go all Rita Repulsa on you all.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Black Ships collect the tithe and head back all the way to Terra, so I would guess that their cargo would be in the hundreds of thousands if their holds are full.

The warding on a Black Ship is the strongest out there short of maybe something the Eldar could put together, but on the other hand the background for one of the adventures in Purge the Unclean involved a daemon manifesting inside one. So the wards are no more perfect than any other countermeasure against the warp. Also the wards are meant to deal with the psychic stresses that the cargo itself generates, which would normally be enough to transform a planet into a daemon world

Actually throwing some genuine Sorcerers and chaos rituals into that mix is way more than the countermeasures the ships have can necessarily handle. Or the Sorcerers for that matter.

Sounds like quite the rollercoaster ride.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Hey dude who makes this stuff! Are there any plans for being able to play Eldar?

Only the dark variety.

edit: As for the Black Ships, I think only the holds are shielded. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to use Navigators or Astropaths.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 20, 2012

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Keep in mind also that the Sisters of Silence are supposed to be crewing the Black Ships. It's basically a bunch of super-elite Sisters of Battle, only they're all psychic nulls, too.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Just finished a character sheet for an Iron Hand Techmarine for a deathwatch game i'm going to play in.

Jesus, the iron hand skills are techmarine skills but cheaper, 500 for the flesh is weak as opposed to 800...

I can't wait to crush xenos into pulp, steal their technology and gain more robot bits.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Signal posted:

Keep in mind also that the Sisters of Silence are supposed to be crewing the Black Ships. It's basically a bunch of super-elite Sisters of Battle, only they're all psychic nulls, too.

As far as I know, that's more fan speculation than anything else. They aren't mentioned in many material after the Horus Heresy era.

It might be neat to have them show up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Only the dark variety.

edit: As for the Black Ships, I think only the holds are shielded. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to use Navigators or Astropaths.

How the hell are they even supposed to be playable? Don't they need to torture everything they can so their soul doesn't get slurped up?