Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

RagnarokAngel posted:

I feel like we sort of had this before near the beginning of the thread...wasn't there a big to do on conservapedia about how there WAS no humor before Jesus and pointing out that there were in fact jokes in Greek and pre-Christian Rome writing were dismissed as "not real humor"?

In contrast to hacks like Aristophanes, here's an example of some modern humour as written by Andy himself:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Essay:Born_Outside_the_U.S.A.! posted:

Born nowhere near the U.S.A.
Don't even know how many states there are
Can't even recite my oath of office
Ain't that just so bizarre?!

[CHORUS:]
Born outside the U.S.A.
Became president any-way!
Born outside the U.S.A.
Became president any-way!

I can't even pronounce "Pakistan"
And I also mispronounce the "Taliban"
But that ain't no problem, man
Because every liberal is my fan

[CHORUS]

My Cabinet picks are the most corrupt
and next the nation we shall bankrupt
The liberal newspapers they applaud
as working Americans we all defraud

[CHORUS]

I'm not really black,
But that's okay Jack.
Affirmative action's
Got my back!

[CHORUS]

If you're a queer,
Then it's time to cheer!
Jesus would surely
Shed a tear.

I've come a long way in the U.S.A.
Despite being born outside the U.S.A.
Now I'm gonna give my friends their pay
Because I became president any-way!

And has self-promoted this song in some past humour discussions, insisting that this is basically the apex of what humour truly is. Yet more evidence of how Christianty and conservatism are the true origins of humour, in contrast to degraded liberal trash.

A few CP members tried to tell Andy that the song is stupid, scans poorly, and generally sucks balls, to which Andy's response is mostly just :smug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

In contrast to hacks like Aristophanes, here's an example of some modern humour as written by Andy himself:

And has self-promoted this song in some past humour discussions, insisting that this is basically the apex of what humour truly is. Yet more evidence of how Christianty and conservatism are the true origins of humour, in contrast to degraded liberal trash.

A few CP members tried to tell Andy that the song is stupid, scans poorly, and generally sucks balls, to which Andy's response is mostly just :smug:.

From what I've read on the talk page, his response to most any criticism is :smug:.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bruce Leroy posted:

So, the same as modern comedy?

From what I remember there were several of them that if you changed the names of the people could have been literally copied from any modern day public restroom.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

From what I remember there were several of them that if you changed the names of the people could have been literally copied from any modern day public restroom.

My favorite is the one from a bath house in Pompeii of Priapus weighing his giant dick on a scale.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Bruce Leroy posted:

So, the same as modern comedy?

Exactly.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Bruce Leroy posted:

My favorite is the one from a bath house in Pompeii of Priapus weighing his giant dick on a scale.

Hahaha, I burst out laughing at this. Anybody got a link to a repository of roman graffiti?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

andrew smash posted:

Hahaha, I burst out laughing at this. Anybody got a link to a repository of roman graffiti?

Pompeii graffiti, right here: http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm

quote:

VII.9 (Eumachia Building, via della Abbondanza); 2048: Secundus likes to screw boys.

VII.12.18-20 (the Lupinare); 2175: I screwed a lot of girls here.

VII.12.18-20 (the Lupinare); 2185: On June 15th, Hermeros screwed here with Phileterus and Caphisus.

VII.12.18-20 (the Lupinare); 2192: Sollemnes, you screw well!
Herculaneum (on the exterior wall of a house); 10619: Apollinaris, the doctor of the emperor Titus, defecated well here

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They really live in their own world

quote:

2+2=5 (The Lukewarm) Radiohead A song chastising people for accepting the mainstream medias version of events and not paying attention.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

It's quite comforting the see that people from over 2000 years ago weren't so different. It's easy to forget that I guess, that people from history are still essentially people. :unsmith:

And judging by how often it appears, either Secundus got around alot, or it's the Roman equivilent of "John".

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It was a common appellation for a second son if my fuzzy, ages-ago high school latin is correct. So there were a lot of them running around screwing boys apparently.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

If anyone does not believe in Venus, they should gaze at ~*my girl friend*~

Goons have a long and noble tradition dating back to Antiquity.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Priapus weighing his dick on a scale has also been depicted in art:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Priapus_Fresco.jpg

(Possibly NSFW)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Binowru posted:

Priapus weighing his dick on a scale has also been depicted in art:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Priapus_Fresco.jpg

(Possibly NSFW)

Truly, the Romans were blessed with both comedy and art beyond our wildest imaginations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Van Kraken posted:

Jokes and laughter are anti-Christian. Jesus would never joke.

*Begins eating the the pages of the thread*

No one must know!

Sadly, it has so far proved impossible to embed actual arsenic on forum pages despite the most vitriolic of our sarcasm.

That was a "The Name of the Rose" reference, right?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's quite comforting the see that people from over 2000 years ago weren't so different. It's easy to forget that I guess, that people from history are still essentially people. :unsmith:

And judging by how often it appears, either Secundus got around alot, or it's the Roman equivilent of "John".

Considering this is all in one city, it is quite possible Secundus was just an rear end in a top hat who loved writing on lots of walls, and by an accident of history has been immortalized beyond his wildest imaginings.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
"O walls, you have held up so much tedious graffiti that I am amazed that you have not already collapsed in ruin."

The Roman Empire clearly was in no short supply of detached, sardonic hipsters.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Pesky Splinter posted:

Roman history chat; there were a very limited number of Roman praenomen (first names) and you'd see them repeated quite a bit; something around 25 to 30 for each gender, and some of those were very uncommon, although some would shift in and out of favor as time passed.

Secundus literally means 'second', as in the second born child.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RPZip posted:

Roman history chat; there were a very limited number of Roman praenomen (first names) and you'd see them repeated quite a bit; something around 25 to 30 for each gender, and some of those were very uncommon, although some would shift in and out of favor as time passed.

Secundus literally means 'second', as in the second born child.

I am always interested in ancient rome stuff, but i never knew that. What about first names? Were they all fairly common also?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
So if humour didn't exist until Christianity does that mean china and most other east Asian nations were humour less for most of their existance?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

ratbert90 posted:

I am always interested in ancient rome stuff, but i never knew that. What about first names? Were they all fairly common also?

There was more variety in the nomen (family or clan name) because they were usually drawn from tribal names as they were incorporated into Roman society. As a practical matter, this means that they were continually expanding while the list of Roman praenomens stayed pretty much the same.

I'm going mostly off memory here, but the order names were normally given to women. A female child would be given a feminine form of their nomen and then the order they were born in as a kind of praenomen, but slightly different. So Titus Flavius would have a daughter, Prima Flavia, and if he had another her name would be Secunda Flavia. This wasn't universal, but it was fairly common.

There are exceptions, though - often you'd have male children named after the father, so Titus Flavius's son would also be named Titus Flavius. If he had two sons, the second one would be Titus Flavius Secundus, and so on. If the first son died sometimes the second son would omit the Secundus from his name and effectively jump up in order. Sometimes they'd have different names altogether, so his second son would be Gaius Flavius instead, but it wasn't completely uncommon to have all of the children taking the father's praenomen. It makes reading some of the documents an absolute bitch, though, because they don't always note if it's Titus Flavius Secundus or just Titus Flavius or Titus Flavius (the father) depending on if the distinction is important and how clear it was to them what was happening.

There's also the practice of cognomen (basically, nicknames) - that's where you get things like Scipio Africanus from. His original name was Publius Cornelius Scipio*, but in honor of his accomplishments (i.e. destroying Carthage) he got the honorary cognomen Africanus. They could also be given ironically, though - Gaius Julius got the cognomen Caesar, which meant 'hairy'. Julius Caesar had a receding hairline and was vain as gently caress, so it was probably someone ribbing him that gave him the nickname and then it stuck.

* Both Cornelius and Scipio are his nomen - it represents a clan split of some kind from the original Cornelius family line, so you'd have the Cornelius line and the Cornelius Scipio line.

Please bear in mind this is mostly off half-remembered Latin classes and a bit of a refresher after poking around Wikipedia, so don't take this as gospel. Roman history owns, though.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 18, 2012

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
My favorite will always be the one that basically says "If you gently caress with fire, you'll burn your dick."

~-=Ancient Wisdom=-~

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

RPZip posted:

There was more variety in the nomen (family or clan name) because they were usually drawn from tribal names as they were incorporated into Roman society. As a practical matter, this means that they were continually expanding while the list of Roman praenomens stayed pretty much the same.

I'm going mostly off memory here, but the order names were normally given to women. A female child would be given a feminine form of their nomen and then the order they were born in as a kind of praenomen, but slightly different. So Titus Flavius would have a daughter, Prima Flavia, and if he had another her name would be Secunda Flavia. This wasn't universal, but it was fairly common.

There are exceptions, though - often you'd have male children named after the father, so Titus Flavius's son would also be named Titus Flavius. If he had two sons, the second one would be Titus Flavius Secundus, and so on. If the first son died sometimes the second son would omit the Secundus from his name and effectively jump up in order. Sometimes they'd have different names altogether, so his second son would be Gaius Flavius instead, but it wasn't completely uncommon to have all of the children taking the father's praenomen. It makes reading some of the documents an absolute bitch, though, because they don't always note if it's Titus Flavius Secundus or just Titus Flavius or Titus Flavius (the father) depending on if the distinction is important and how clear it was to them what was happening.

There's also the practice of cognomen (basically, nicknames) - that's where you get things like Scipio Africanus from. His original name was Publius Cornelius Scipio*, but in honor of his accomplishments (i.e. destroying Carthage) he got the honorary cognomen Africanus. They could also be given ironically, though - Gaius Julius got the cognomen Caesar, which meant 'hairy'. Julius Caesar had a receding hairline and was vain as gently caress, so it was probably someone ribbing him that gave him the nickname and then it stuck.

* Both Cornelius and Scipio are his nomen - it represents a clan split of some kind from the original Cornelius family line, so you'd have the Cornelius line and the Cornelius Scipio line.

Please bear in mind this is mostly off half-remembered Latin classes and a bit of a refresher after poking around Wikipedia, so don't take this as gospel. Roman history owns, though.

What does it say about me that my first thought after reading your very informative post was, "So, did George Foreman name all his sons "George" because he's a Roman history buff or because it's easier to remember after getting punched in the head all those times?"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RPZip posted:

Yeah the modern incarnation of names is really different pretty much worldwide. Arabic names were often just your name then your father's, then his father's, and so on. Historical figures often had given names or titles - Saladin's real name was Yusuf. Many Arab families today have a "Family name" that was literally a guy who they then decided to name the whole family after - The Saud family of Saudi Arabia literally started with "This guy is the son of Saud" before it just ended up becoming "He's from Saud's descendants".

My official passport has my name, 5 middle names, then my last name :I

Also as usual Wikipedia explains it already:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laqab#Laqab

Not to mention that to this day in Gulf countries people call both men and women after their firstborn son. IE if your firstborn is Mohammed, you are "Bo Mohammed" Or "Om Mohammed". It then makes it a pretty big deal what you name the firstborn, if you're the first son of your father you're kind of expected to name your first son after him etc. etc.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 19, 2012

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Iceland uses Patronyms and in some cases Matronyms, where your last name is just the first name of your Dad (Or Mum or both, if you want). When the couple is gay they usually just use names of both parents or if they want to be more equal and things.
Foreign last names do exist, for first generation immigrants and some twats who want to be special with their made up last names from before the law came into effect forbidding it, but those are rare exceptions. Most foreigners who decided to keep the "family name" do so as a middle name while also picking up Patronyms.

It's also why it's always wrong to refer to an Icelander by Last Name, because you're just calling them "Son or Daughter of yer Dad/Mum". The only one referred to as Mr here anyway is the president and the current one is a wanker who I know anyway so the whole "Mr. Lastname" thing doesn't come up either.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Iceland uses Patronyms and in some cases Matronyms, where your last name is just the first name of your Dad (Or Mum or both, if you want). When the couple is gay they usually just use names of both parents or if they want to be more equal and things.
Foreign last names do exist, for first generation immigrants and some twats who want to be special with their made up last names from before the law came into effect forbidding it, but those are rare exceptions. Most foreigners who decided to keep the "family name" do so as a middle name while also picking up Patronyms.

Iceland has a law forbidding last names that aren't Patronyms or Matronyms? Why on earth?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

jojoinnit posted:

Iceland has a law forbidding last names that aren't Patronyms or Matronyms? Why on earth?
When pretty much everyone on the island is your cousin in some form ignorance is bliss.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Probably some kind of cultural pride. The icelandic language is exceedingly similar to Old Norse, and if patronyms were good enough for the vikings, who're modern Icelandic people to argue?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kajeesus posted:

Probably some kind of cultural pride. The icelandic language is exceedingly similar to Old Norse, and if patronyms were good enough for the vikings, who're modern Icelandic people to argue?

Vikings are pretty awesome. Also, I'm not sure if I approve of names like "Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso". Sounds dangerously exotic.

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

The list of secularized words is pretty hilarious. It's got some expected ones like B.C becoming B.C.E and Merry Christmas becoming Happy Holidays. But apparently homosexual is the secularized version of abomination, liberated woman is the secularized version of harlot and man-made disaster is the secularized version of Islamic Terrorism.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

FoiledAgain posted:

The list of secularized words is pretty hilarious. It's got some expected ones like B.C becoming B.C.E and Merry Christmas becoming Happy Holidays. But apparently homosexual is the secularized version of abomination, liberated woman is the secularized version of harlot and man-made disaster is the secularized version of Islamic Terrorism.

My favorite part of this page is that Christmas appears in both columns.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Secularized Language posted:

Flood ... Flooding
Flood ... Flood waters

:what:

What is it about '-ing' and 'waters' that poisons flood with evil secularism?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I think it has to do with the fact that if you refer to 'The Flood' with proper capitalization you're showing due respect to honored tradition but if you say 'a flood' you're a gay liberal obese atheist jew.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

FoiledAgain posted:

I can understand "Heresy" => "Scientific theory" and "Rebuke" => "Hate speech".

But "Dignified" is the secular version of "Solemn" ?

If you write, I will make it better.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Augster posted:

:what:

What is it about '-ing' and 'waters' that poisons flood with evil secularism?

That's a big thing with them, apparently by not calling a flood just 'flood' they're removing god from it because of The Flood but God promised no more Flood so I'm not sure what they think is happening. During flood season there's always a newspost about THE LAMESTREAM MEDIA REFUSING TO CALL A FLOOD A FLOOD AND INSTEAD USING MSM NAZI SPEAK 'FLOODING'!!!

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's also why it's always wrong to refer to an Icelander by Last Name, because you're just calling them "Son or Daughter of yer Dad/Mum". The only one referred to as Mr here anyway is the president and the current one is a wanker who I know anyway so the whole "Mr. Lastname" thing doesn't come up either.

I'm actually quite enamored by the Icelandic naming system, but it's kind of a dick move to chastise people for "made up last names" as lots of Americans have made up last names due to those assholes at Ellis Island.

My last name is completely new and unique to my family to the point where if you have the same last name as me, you have to be related to me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FoiledAgain posted:

The essay on the Best New Conservative Words is a great companion piece.

quote:

Each year the English language develops about a thousand new words. The King James Version of the Bible contains only about 8,000 different words; many good words have since developed.

Conservative terms, expressing conservative insights, originate at a faster rate, and with much higher quality, than liberal terms. Conservative triumph over liberalism is thus inevitable.

Powerful new conservative terms have grown at a geometric rate, roughly doubling every century. For each new conservative term originating in the 1600s, there are two new terms originating in the 1700s, four new terms in the 1800s, and eight new terms in the 1900s, for a pattern of "1-2-4-8". This implies a conservative future and a correlation between conservatism and truth.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

Because then they aren't following Icelandic naming traditions? They let you keep them if you have them already, you just can't change into it later and no trying to sidestep it by going to a foreign country, changing your name then coming back.
The things people do just for vanity...

kissekatt posted:

When pretty much everyone on the island is your cousin in some form ignorance is bliss.
I can just Check up on Íslendingabók exactly how related I am to the woman I'm with at the moment. The last one was related back I think 8 generations? Something like that.

Kajeesus posted:

Pretty much, you also need to get new names approved before a committee if it's never been used before. They forbid obviously stupid names (Satan, Fucker, whatevs) but let in some surprisingly stupid ones.

prefect posted:

Vikings are pretty awesome. Also, I'm not sure if I approve of names like "Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso". Sounds dangerously exotic.
Know a girl called "Saga Roman", Icelandic first name, Puerto-Rican last name. If she gets a kid here it will get the fathers patronym if she decides to marry him and take it, otherwise she'll just use Saga.

Bruce Leroy posted:

I'm actually quite enamored by the Icelandic naming system, but it's kind of a dick move to chastise people for "made up last names" as lots of Americans have made up last names due to those assholes at Ellis Island.

My last name is completely new and unique to my family to the point where if you have the same last name as me, you have to be related to me.
Well there were a lot of people a few decades back doing it here and it was loving up the system we use for keeping track of genealogy, or so I'm given to understand. I mean, it didn't use to be forbidden until every hipster this side of the Artic Circle suddenly had a last name instead of a patronym and if you come here and really wanna keep it you can, it's just polite to pick up a patronym too.

And yeah, it wasn't a jab at people outside Iceland with "made-up names". The whole business there with the Anglicization of last names was a bit rear end, but seeing as we only gave that up in the 80s I can't really speak that loudly against it. My French teacher had to pick up Geirharður instead of Cherard as a first name when he immigrated (He uses it now as a middle name instead), at least we're now letting people keep their drat first names.

And I'll be damned. I just checked out all the pages involving Iceland and there was nothing wrong with them. Even our gay prime minister doesn't get zip. Not the Norse Mythology section either.
Hell, I checked Westboro Baptist Church because they just added us to their "God Hates the World" series and they seem critical of them. What happened to you Conservapedia?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
A lot of Conservapedia is just lazily copy-pasted from various sources. Like, they'll have Scandinavia and Bestiality articles, but the articles on Denmark and Sweden are pretty much just copies of their CIA World Fact Book (I think, if that's a real thing) entries.

The insane articles are mainly based on Andy or Conservative's pet peeves like homosexuality, atheism and relativity, or favorites like America!, Freedom! and Wars on Terror!

For extra cognitive dissonance fun, try to find one of Andy's numerous statements about how the world is getting progressively dumber and juxtapose it with his statements about conservatism being on the rise.

Fly
Nov 3, 2002

moral compass

FoiledAgain posted:

Apparently the author here just doesn't want to win.

quote:

1 Sometimes C.E. is an abbreviation for "Christian era" instead of "common era", but this also conceals the historical basis due to Jesus Christ being Jewish. Christianity would not exist as a separate religion until much later.
It would seem that the author thinks "the Christ" isn't really "Christian" because he was Jewish after all, and people didn't use the word "Christian" at his birth.

Similarly "A.D." would "conceal the historical basis" owing to the early believers not speaking Latin, and that people would have done so in 1 A.D. I am led to the understanding that the author simply wants to feel persecuted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Some of these are not like the others.

• Locked thread