Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danforth05
Jun 11, 2011

Why is mice sech cowards?
Hello all. I was hoping to get some recommendations for some recipe organization/classifying software. My mother has countless binders full of newspaper and magazine clippings, but it's gotten to the point that she can't readily find any recipe and gives up.

I use MacGourmet myself, but before I go ahead and set up the same thing for her, I figured I would ask about any viable alternatives. So...

- She is on a Mac, so there's that. I wouldn't mind hearing about PC software, though, if only out of simple curiosity.
- Any software with an accompanying iPad app would be a plus since she owns one. This is not a necessity, however.
- Quick and easy importing from popular recipe sites would be great as well.
- It could conceivably be wholly web-based, à la Cookmarked.

Thanks in advance for any answers and I apologize if this question has already been asked recently.

Danforth05 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Syjefroi posted:

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but... I bought a whole chicken (vacuum packed) and it's been in my freezer for a while - the sell-by date is Nov 7, 2010. Is this worth using or should I toss it?

Yes, you know the answer. At best, it's freezer burned to hell and back.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

Yes, you know the answer. At best, it's freezer burned to hell and back.

Yeah, but it's still protein. It's not going to be tasty, but there's an OK chance that it's still edible. Thaw it, open it, smell it, THEN chuck it when you've found out it smells bad.
Even if you don't think you know what bad meat smells like, you do.
It could still be possibly OK for a crappy chicken salad or something.
I hate to waste a dead animal.
vvvv
To the original query: I'd chance it, personally, but ultimately I'd follow this more sound advice. v

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 19, 2012

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Very Strange Things posted:

Yeah, but it's still protein. It's not going to be tasty, but there's an OK chance that it's still edible. Thaw it, open it, smell it, THEN chuck it when you've found out it smells bad.
Even if you don't think you know what bad meat smells like, you do.
It could still be possibly OK for a crappy chicken salad or something.
I hate to waste a dead animal.

If it was in a rarely-opened chest freezer, maybe. But some nasty bugs can still grow in a freezer, especially one that's opened frequently, and bacteria that produce toxins aren't always spoilage bacteria (which make things smell.) They grow slow, but two years is long enough. Besides, whole chicken is about a dollar a pound- worst case s/he's throwing out five bucks. Compost it and you're doing fine.

As a point of reference, when I cleaned out my freezer in Louisiana there was mold in the corners. Light green, powdery, dry mold.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
Great, thank you for the help. I truly hate that it was wasted :(

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Fraction posted:

What's the best cut of steak to use for making jerky?

I've previously used stewing steak, which came out delicious. I tried sirloin once, on an Internet recommendation, but that just didn't taste as good. I'm way overdue for making some jerky!

I asked my mom, who is famous for her jerky, says she uses the cheapest she can find and tries to avoid pieces with lots of large veins of fat running through it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm planning to make a white wine cream sauce for some turkey later today. I was going to sautee some minced garlic in butter, then add the wine and cook the alcohol off before I add some heavy cream. If I just simmer it for a while to boil off some of the water will it be thick enough, or should I add some flour as a thickener?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm planning to make a white wine cream sauce for some turkey later today. I was going to sautee some minced garlic in butter, then add the wine and cook the alcohol off before I add some heavy cream. If I just simmer it for a while to boil off some of the water will it be thick enough, or should I add some flour as a thickener?

The cream will give it all the thickness it needs. If you add flour it will turn to gloop.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The cream will give it all the thickness it needs. If you add flour it will turn to gloop.

If you do decide to add flour (don't) then you'll need to mix it separately so that it doesn't clump and to cook the sauce for at least 20 minutes or so to get rid of the floury taste.

Wiggles is right though, the cream will be plenty.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Great. I hate working with flour.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I have a gallon of unpasteurized milk that was farm fresh a week and a half ago, and consensus is that it's probably no longer safe to consume straight. However, I assume cooking it can safen it up still. I can't think of anything offhand that uses a lot of milk, though; ice cream's out and I don't know how to make cheese (willing to learn).

What can I do with it?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Splizwarf posted:

I have a gallon of unpasteurized milk that was farm fresh a week and a half ago, and consensus is that it's probably no longer safe to consume straight. However, I assume cooking it can safen it up still. I can't think of anything offhand that uses a lot of milk, though; ice cream's out and I don't know how to make cheese (willing to learn).

What can I do with it?

Pasteurize it and drink it.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

What can I do with it?

Make Paneer, then make a delicious curry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paneer_86451

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

pork never goes bad posted:

Make Paneer, then make a delicious curry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paneer_86451

Holy poo poo. Curry's meh but one of our favorite foods is palak paneer. That recipe looks pretty simple.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Anyone have any go-to recipes for food dehydrators? My girlfriend's getting me one for my upcoming 28th anniversary and I'd love to make some awesome jerky right off the bat.

tokki g
Aug 18, 2004
I bought some pork tenderloins sat night, put a dry rub on them sun morning, and grilled most of them later that evening. I still have 2 chilling in the fridge. How long can they keep? I think I'll grill them tomorrow night.
Also accepting suggestions on things to do to it other than grilling. Note: I suck at cooking, but am good at following instructions because I am a scientist, or at least I'm in school to become one.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

tokki g posted:

I bought some pork tenderloins sat night, put a dry rub on them sun morning, and grilled most of them later that evening. I still have 2 chilling in the fridge. How long can they keep? I think I'll grill them tomorrow night.
Also accepting suggestions on things to do to it other than grilling. Note: I suck at cooking, but am good at following instructions because I am a scientist, or at least I'm in school to become one.

If you are planning on cooking them tonight or tomorrow and they've been in the fridge this whole time you will be fine.

You could pan sear them on all sides, the dry rub might burn/smoke so be ready for that. Finish it in the oven at about 350, cook time will depend on thickness, so go to 160 (EDIT: Wow. OK FDA now says 145 is OK for pork. I'm using old information).

If they are realatively thin you might be able to cook them entirely in the pan, but chances are that you would overcook them that way.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Holy poo poo. Curry's meh but one of our favorite foods is palak paneer. That recipe looks pretty simple.

palak paneer is a curry...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What defines a curry? I thought it was specific spices.

To put that another way, I've yet to enjoy anything called "curry" or "curried [ingredient]", but I enjoy things like palak paneer, Indian butter chicken and various other dishes.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Curry in English basically just means "Indian food" of which butter chicken is most certainly an example.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Reading that article, it looks like what I don't like is the product with hot peppers in it marketed as the various types of "curry powder". I was under the impression that "curries" were made with "curry powder", whether bought pre-mixed or mixed at the time (much like someone would make a dolce, garlic salt, or a rub); sounds like it's a marketing and culture mashup problem.

A good palak paneer can be had with spinach, cumin, garlic, salt, and cheese; maybe some butter. I just didn't have a local source for the cheese other than getting it at Wegman's for an arm and a leg out of their boutique-y section.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

quote:

The origins of the English word "curry" are unclear. Many etymologists believe it was adopted and anglicised from the Tamil word kari (கறி) meaning 'sauce',[2] which is usually understood to mean vegetables and/or meat cooked with spices with or without a gravy.

A curry is a food cooked in a blend of spices. American chili also curry.

"Curry powder" usually refers to Madras style curry powder. It is alright when fresh but like all things preground, it loses potency and becomes sawdust very quickly. Curry is a big foodworld, I hope you will try more because the curries containing Madras curry powder are quite small by comparison. If you want something completely different, give South East Asian curries a shot.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 19, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

A curry is a food cooked in a blend of spices. American chili also curry.

:what:

I mean, okay, that's the historical definition, but that's... most food. I mean, by that logic a bunch of beers are curries. I would think for practicality's sake an everyday definition might be a bit narrower.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

:what:

I mean, okay, that's the historical definition, but that's... most food. I mean, by that logic a bunch of beers are curries. I would think for practicality's sake an everyday definition might be a bit narrower.

so what? Remember, herbs aren't spices. Food that contains spices is post Asian and New World trade. Towards a practical definition, it just has to do with the quantity, many foods have small amounts of spice but curries are predominantly spices.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Also "curry" literally means "sauce," so any narrow definition you want to define is going to be pretty arbitrary.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kenning posted:

Also "curry" literally means "sauce," so any narrow definition you want to define is going to be pretty arbitrary.
Yeah, it's interesting how people try to shoehorn food loanwords into narrow niches regardless of their original scope. Like the American insistence that kebab means `cubed meat on a skewer' and sushi means `raw fish in roll'.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Oh god, can we not have a loving derail about the definition of sushi again.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

cyberia posted:

Oh god, can we not have a loving derail about the definition of sushi again.
sushi, n. Delicious, delicious food.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I have three pears that are too ripe, recipe suggestions? I'm thinning...pear bread? Or are pears too gritty? I have a ripe banana too...pear banana muffins?

E: dammit, they were more ripe than I thought and were moldy. :(

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 20, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Toriori posted:

I have three pears that are too ripe, recipe suggestions? I'm thinning...pear bread? Or are pears too gritty? I have a ripe banana too...pear banana muffins?

Bulgogi uses pear juice in the marinade, alternatively a pear tarte tatin would be pretty decent too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What kind of things can I make with this huge bottle of amazing vanilla extract that someone made and gifted me? I usually try to eat healthy and want to avoid the most obvious baked goods that use vanilla, such as cookies

Some ideas I came up with:
-- Vanilla popcorn
-- Vanilla peanut butter
-- Vanilla salad dressing (for fruit salads mostly)
-- Vanilla plus ANY caffeinated beverage

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Vanilla ice cream.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Use it quickly once opened. Vanilla extract in an opened bottle loses potency month by month, I assume due to oxidation.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Vanilla ice cream.

Actually I think this is one of the few unhealthy things that I'd be willing to make, because I can probably load up with a ton of vanilla and make it taste great. Thanks!

How about healthier stuff?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You should check out ICSA: Vanilla that we had back in January/February. Loads of great vanilla-oriented recipes there, plenty of them non-desserts.

opstemthed
Feb 4, 2012

On My Honour
What can I do with a heap of passion-fruit pulp? I have two vines, both of which are producing a lot more than I can use. I've been freezing the pulp for 'later use', but now I have a tub of about two cups of pulp sitting in my freezer.

So, any ideas? Anything that uses an usually large amount of passion-fruit pulp?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You should render it into a syrup and then get into Tiki drinks.

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011
If you have access to an ice cream maker (or liquid nitrogen if you happen to be a geeky cryogenic process engineer like me) then you can make a nice sorbet by mixing the passion fruit with some syrup and lemon juice.

For more generic ideas you can make a passion fruit cheese cake.

But I personally love using passion fruit in salad dressings.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
I finally had that boar. 3.5lbs shoulder roast, slow cooked in a roaster for 4 hours, it was really something else. Served with mead for full medieval effect.

So now I need suggestions about what to do with boar gravy. It's strong and salty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Cowcatcher posted:

I finally had that boar. 3.5lbs shoulder roast, slow cooked in a roaster for 4 hours, it was really something else. Served with mead for full medieval effect.

So now I need suggestions about what to do with boar gravy. It's strong and salty.

Mix it with bread scraps and give it to your serfs?