Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I used MyWi very infrequently, and got the dreaded AT&T text message and email last month threatening to move me to the 5GB unless I stopped. Since then i've only used PdaNet with the 'higher level masking' and haven't been automatically moved to 5GB yet, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Nerdrock posted:

I used MyWi very infrequently, and got the dreaded AT&T text message and email last month threatening to move me to the 5GB unless I stopped. Since then i've only used PdaNet with the 'higher level masking' and haven't been automatically moved to 5GB yet, at least.

What is up with AT&T now? I don't even tether although I do stream quite a bit, and I have been grandfathered in with my data plan since forever. I've have used MyWi a long time ago but this is starting to worry me as I might need to tether for work if I am not near a hotspot in a pinch. Got this last week in a text as well:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mr Hands Colon posted:

What is up with AT&T now? I don't even tether although I do stream quite a bit, and I have been grandfathered in with my data plan since forever. I've have used MyWi a long time ago but this is starting to worry me as I might need to tether for work if I am not near a hotspot in a pinch. Got this last week in a text as well:

All unlimited users get restricted to 2g speeds after 3gb now.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
AT&T are world-class assholes/morons.

Don't want to be throttled? Just use WiFi!

All those starving kids in Africa? They should just eat some food!

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Don Lapre posted:

I hate AT&T so drat much.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

Don Lapre posted:

Just tremendous. The top 5% thing was bad enough. This honestly seems criminal to me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bagsack posted:

Just tremendous. The top 5% thing was bad enough. This honestly seems criminal to me.

Well this is in response of the top 5%. They are giving everyone the same thing 3gb tiered people get except they lower your speed instead of charging you more. Before they were just cutting people off at 2gb, 1.5gb, 900mb, whatever. Atleast now you know when its going to happen.

Doesn't make it right.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bagsack posted:

Hey, this is better, sortof. (at least potentially.) (Still lovely, though)

I got that message last month for breaking TWO gig. In San Francisco!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've been getting a lot of text message spam, my provider (Orange UK) says they can't do anything about it. Is there an application that can deal with this? A text filter would be ideal, but I imagine surely they can only send from so many numbers if there is only one that blocks by number.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Anjow posted:

I've been getting a lot of text message spam, my provider (Orange UK) says they can't do anything about it. Is there an application that can deal with this? A text filter would be ideal, but I imagine surely they can only send from so many numbers if there is only one that blocks by number.

On AT&T in USA here, but I would like to know the same. My wife is getting Text Spam.

[edit]

How much is it to register PDAnet? Is it a one-time charge or ongoing?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

UndyingShadow posted:

I hate AT&T so drat much.

AT&T and verizon (and tmobile and sprint) are all loathesome. I got a new 4g pad3, turned on the $15/250mb plan, then within an hour (and <1MB) the sim locked itself. I had to go to AT&T to get a new sim. Which, of course "cancelled" the data plan. So I enabled it again, then a few minutes later decided to switch to the $30/3gb plan. The was no mention or warning about switching, but later I checked the AT&T website and they were billing me for $15 + $15 + $30 even though it was all in the same day and I'd used less than 2mb.

I called and the retarded AT&T rep couldn't explain anything, didn't even now her own company's pricing policies, and repeatedly gave me conflicting info. She suggested the easiest way to handle it would be to dispute the charges with my credit card company. I got a supervisor who, while also unable/unwilling to clearly express the billing policy, did at least credit me back the $60 ... Then suggested I also dispute it with my cc company (!).

What a clusterfuck. I was going to switch to Verizon until I called them and confirmed they have the same hosed up deal. You start a pre- or post-paid data plan, decide to switch or cancel it 1 minute later while having used no data, you're still on the hook for the monthly amount. With no warning. Maybe it's buried in their terms and conditions somewhere but I still can't find it, and AT&T was unable to point me to it.

As a stockholder I wish apple would, instead of paying stock dividends, buy out sprint and/or tmobile or just roll out their own carrier and let me buy GBs of data and use them whenever. I'd pay 2-3x the current ~$10/gb if I could use it when I want to.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I broke down and bought a license for PDAnet. Works flawlessly. Just hope it hides the fact that I'm tethering as it claims it does.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Feenix posted:

I broke down and bought a license for PDAnet. Works flawlessly. Just hope it hides the fact that I'm tethering as it claims it does.

I know if you enable the Level II security option, some webpages will actually load the mobile version. So it is definitely doing something.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
It's just rewriting your HTTP user agent to Safari for iPhone. It's a bit of a giveaway when AT&T analyse your packets and see Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) coming from your "phone".

toastR
Mar 15, 2001

to infinity and beyond!

randyest posted:

Yes, "AdBlocker" is in Cydia. Also alternative browsers like Atomic (maybe icab too) have built in Adblock options if you don't want to jailbreak. Not quite as fast as safari but they have some nice features.

For a second, I thought this was about blocking ads inside apps and got a little excited. Is there anything like that that exists or can I continue dreaming? I hate ads that take away from my precious screen real estate and encroach upon the reading area especially.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
edit: derp

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Xenomorph posted:

AT&T are world-class assholes/morons.

Don't want to be throttled? Just use WiFi!

All those starving kids in Africa? They should just eat some food!

This comparison seems a mite hyperbolic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

All right this is getting a little annoying. This stupid ad:

Refuses to disappear. I even installed SpeakEvents and it still shows up. I went ahead and uninstalled everything Siri related but every now and there it loving is.

Is anyone else getting this? Can I manually dig in and erase the gently caress out of it?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

frumpsnake posted:

It's just rewriting your HTTP user agent to Safari for iPhone. It's a bit of a giveaway when AT&T analyse your packets and see Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) coming from your "phone".
With alternate browsers like Atomic you can change your agent string to anything, even without being jail broken, so that doesnt seem like a reliable detection method.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I installed PDANet last month while I was on travel for work, and it absolutely crushed my phone's battery. I could watch the percentage points (which I turned on just to test the problem) tick down every couple of minutes. Uninstalled, and the battery went back to normal. It was pretty strange. TetherMe worked fine though.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

randyest posted:

With alternate browsers like Atomic you can change your agent string to anything, even without being jail broken, so that doesnt seem like a reliable detection method.

Well, it's not like they're concerned with ensuring they have an airtight case for when they take you to trial.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Voodoo posted:

I installed PDANet last month while I was on travel for work, and it absolutely crushed my phone's battery. I could watch the percentage points (which I turned on just to test the problem) tick down every couple of minutes. Uninstalled, and the battery went back to normal. It was pretty strange. TetherMe worked fine though.

That's because TetherMe uses Apple's own tethering solution, whereas PDANet just throws on the wifi transmitter and goes for it. You can drop the transmission power in PDANet to help, but it's still nowhere near what TetherMe can do in my experience.

Then again, for a 3GS TetherMe isn't an option if you want WiFi.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

randyest posted:

I read up on this quite a while ago when ATT really started cracking down on unauthorized tethering and it does more than just fake a user agent. The Iphones and Ipads on ATT use two separate APNs,(I'm not entirely sure what that is) one for non tethered data and one for tethered data. ATT's google phones just use one APN which is why you never really hear about androids getting busted for unauthorized tethering. With PDAnets hide usage feature it tricks the phone in to using the non tethering APN for tethering. It also does something to fake the TTL which apple could use to figure out you are tethering and on top of that it fakes the user agent.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
So if I want to restore my 5.0.1 ipod touch 4 and jailbreak it again (mostly to free a gig of space taken by "Other" in itunes), how much of a pain in the rear end is it going to be?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS 5.01. I am trying to un-jailbreak it, but since iTunes keeps trying to push the 5.1 install as part of the restore, I get a message that the restoration failed. I have much more experience with fixing broken Android roots, and I don't know the first thing about advanced iOS restoration.

Anything obvious I am missing?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Turnquiet posted:

I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS 5.01. I am trying to un-jailbreak it, but since iTunes keeps trying to push the 5.1 install as part of the restore, I get a message that the restoration failed. I have much more experience with fixing broken Android roots, and I don't know the first thing about advanced iOS restoration.

You can only restore to whatever iOS Apple is currently signing. So you can only restore to 5.1. You cannot restore to 5.0.1. Period.

edit: I realize that wasnt exactly your problem. Remove any apple related stuff from your hosts file

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Turnquiet posted:

Are you wanting to have non-jailbroken iOS 5.1?

I recently upgraded three A5 devices to iOS 5.1 from iOS 5.0.1 jailbroken:

1) backup in iTunes.
2) upgrade from iTunes.
3) backup again in iTunes.
4) Restore.

You can then stay with a fresh 5.1 install, or restore your backup again.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

Settings , general , reset , reset all content and settings

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Settings , general , reset , reset all content and settings

I'm pretty sure this messes up the OS partition if you run it while jailbroken.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Kazy posted:

Nothing gets messed up; it just doesnt work. I tried doing this to sell my iPad 2 with a fresh jailbreakable 5.0.1, but it just sits at the apple spinny logo forever. Luckily I wound up selling it to a couple middle aged lesbians who never touched an iOS device before.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Kazy posted:

Weird, I did this exact thing last week. Oh well.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Is there any way currently to update an ATV2 from 4.3 to 4.4.4 (no blobs available)?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

dutchbstrd posted:

Nothing gets messed up; it just doesnt work. I tried doing this to sell my iPad 2 with a fresh jailbreakable 5.0.1, but it just sits at the apple spinny logo forever. Luckily I wound up selling it to a couple middle aged lesbians who never touched an iOS device before.
Restore through iTunes first to remove the jailbreak, then do reset all settings. I've done this hundreds of times.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Restore through iTunes first to remove the jailbreak, then do reset all settings. I've done this hundreds of times.

But you can't restore to 5.0.1 which is what I wanted.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

So I've got a jailbroken iPhone 4 running 4.2.1 (yeah, it's been a while,) and I'm trying to upgrade to 5.0.1 and jailbreak it but iTunes doesn't want to play ball at the moment. I downloaded the official 5.0.1 ipsw from the dev team blog (I think) but when I try and upgrade in iTunes, I get error 3194 telling me that the iPhone could not be updated.

I've unchecked the box in TinyUmbrella and have confirmed that there's nothing pointing to Apple in my hosts file. Is there anything else I can do, or does this include upgrades as well...

dutchbstrd posted:

You can only restore to whatever iOS Apple is currently signing. So you can only restore to 5.1. You cannot restore to 5.0.1. Period.
leaving me pretty much screwed?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

nrr posted:

So I've got a jailbroken iPhone 4 running 4.2.1 (yeah, it's been a while,) and I'm trying to upgrade to 5.0.1 and jailbreak it but iTunes doesn't want to play ball at the moment. I downloaded the official 5.0.1 ipsw from the dev team blog (I think) but when I try and upgrade in iTunes, I get error 3194 telling me that the iPhone could not be updated.

I've unchecked the box in TinyUmbrella and have confirmed that there's nothing pointing to Apple in my hosts file. Is there anything else I can do, or does this include upgrades as well...

leaving me pretty much screwed?

apple is currently only signing 5.1 .

the only way you can install something OTHER THAN 5.1 , is if your device is NOT AN A5 DEVICE , and you have SIGNED SHSH BLOBS on file either in Cydia or via TinyUmbrella.

For you : You have an iPhone 4, so that's good. You have the 5.0.1 ipsw , that's good. now : do you have a signed SHSH blob for 5.0.1 ? If you saved it locally with TinyUmbrella back when apple was signing 5.0.1 , you're fine, and you need to use that. If you have it saved via cydia (load up cydia, and it'll tell you what firmware versions it has on file for you conveniently), you can use that instead. if neither of those is an option : you're hosed, and get to wait for a 5.1 jailbreak to be released.

your hosts file comes in to play when itunes starts restoring the ipsw to the device. it checks if apple is signing that firmware, and modifying the hosts file points it somewhere that isn't apple, unbeknownst to itunes.

So : depending where your SHSH blobs are on file : google how to use that.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

dutchbstrd posted:

But you can't restore to 5.0.1 which is what I wanted.
Sorry I missed that! Are you just trying to preserve baseband or is there some other appeal to 5.0.1?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Sorry I missed that! Are you just trying to preserve baseband or is there some other appeal to 5.0.1?

On my iPad 2 it was to maintain its jailbreak-ability for potential higher resale value.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
And keep in mind that installing 5.x isn't the same as it was before. Having Cydia in your hosts file and your SHSH blob isn't enough.

You have to "stitch" the SHSH blob into the IPSW and install that, not the official IPSW, and it of course requires the pre-A5 hardware hack to install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

And keep in mind that installing 5.x isn't the same as it was before. Having Cydia in your hosts file and your SHSH blob isn't enough.

You have to "stitch" the SHSH blob into the IPSW and install that, not the official IPSW, and it of course requires the pre-A5 hardware hack to install.

yeah, I forgot to mention that, too. It's looks like a bitch. Good luck.

• Locked thread