Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

Would a few upgrades fix it you think? I'm asking cause this popped up and maybe I could get him down a bit on the price. I've been looking for a good deal on a WR250x for awhile and nothing is around under 5k.

The problem is there aren't a lot of upgrades for them out there. Dunno if someone makes a BB kit for them or anything but by the time you get that installed you may as well have bought a DRZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

As it comes up every few pages in this thread, here is a really good explanation of what it is and why you back it in, by racer Christian Iddon

Article

Christian Iddon posted:

"One of the key supermoto skills is backing it in, and it's not just about showing off," explains Iddon. "Backing it in does three things for you. It helps you make the corner because, with the back end out of line, the bike's already pointing in the right direction. Second, it evens out the load between the tyres – when you're braking hard all of the bike's weight is on the front tyre. By backing it in you reduce to that to perhaps 70:30 front/rear, giving the front tyre an easier time. And thirdly, you can still brake hard because although the bike's sideways, the front wheel's still pointing forwards and is still kind of upright.

"Backing-in is about getting on the front brake hard to get all the weight off the back wheel, shifting down the gears to use the back-torque of the engine and getting the rear wheel to roll maybe 2mph slower than the front, nothing more – it's not about locking it up.

"The next phase is the most dangerous for me. You've got to time the backing-in perfectly so that the rear tyre hooks up just as you start to get into the corner properly. If you get it wrong it's pretty easy to fall off. In the middle of the corner you push the bike down into the corner – very few supermoto riders hang-off, though former WSB man Giovanni Bussei is one. The bikes are lighter than any sportsbike, the tyres are really grippy and, with your foot out, you have to be on top of the bike – there isn't the room under the bike to hang-off. And with your leg stuck out near the front wheel you're ready to save the front if it tucks."

And of course, this being supermoto, the madness doesn’t end at the apex. "When do I get back on the power? Sometimes, when I’m really on it – when I’ve got the feel and everything's flowing perfectly – I get on the throttle almost immediately and everything flows as one continuous movement," says Iddon. "The back wheel's sliding on the way in, it hooks up just in time to turn and then the front will begin to go. To save it I whack the throttle open as hard as I dare, which pushes the back end out and brings the front back. On the way out you don't want the back tyre spinning wildly – no black lines, just a faint grey one. And from there on the style comes back to road racing; you’re trying to pick the bike up for maximum traction, so you're leaning off the inside of the bike, driving out hard."

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

The problem is there aren't a lot of upgrades for them out there. Dunno if someone makes a BB kit for them or anything but by the time you get that installed you may as well have bought a DRZ.

There's a 290 bb kit and also mpfab makes a Turbo kit. The after market has grown a lot since the popularity started booming.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wasnt the D-tracker popular in other parts of the world? I would have to think the aftermarket is out there.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Can i bump a DRZ with a battery so dead not even the speedo lights up?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

henne posted:

Probably not, as it probably wont power the cdi. If you could get the motor spinning really fast, you might be able to do it.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

henne posted:

If you've got a hill big enough to get moving pretty good before busting the clutch loose you could probably do it in 3rd. Be careful you don't endo yourself on accident, don't cover the front brake when you drop the clutch.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

henne posted:

Yes you can but you'll need some serious speed. Usual bumpstart speed is around 8 or so mph, I think it took 13-15 to get the DRZ started when my battery failed. Also you'll need to keep RPMs high for a bit to keep it running, or it might stall when charging voltage drops off as it gets closer to idle. If you can, disconnect the headlight too.

Edit: oh this is starting in second too. Higher RPMs to get it generating voltage, the better.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
So what you are saying is I should bump start it on my treadmill?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

henne posted:

Just be careful, too much speed and it might wheelie :v:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Would a few upgrades fix it you think? I'm asking cause this popped up and maybe I could get him down a bit on the price. I've been looking for a good deal on a WR250x for awhile and nothing is around under 5k.

A KLX250S is a fat, underpowered copy of the KLX300R. The latter pops up in plated form now and again, and they're the intermediate stage between 80s air-cooled dirt bikes and modern USD dirt bikes. I owned one and it was super-light and fun, but pretty brutish in nature and worse than the WR on the highway. You can get a 351cc kit and pumper carb for the KLX, but you may as well get a DRZ at that point unless you really really need a 6 speed transmission.

Z3n posted:

It doesn't need engine mods. If you need more power and you can't get there by gearing down and rowing the 6-speed transmission, you got the wrong bike. The suspension is modern and quite serviceable out of the box, though the rear shock is non-rebuildable. The other farkles are out there.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 18, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

henne posted:

We will need pics please. It could be epic...

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Full disclosure: I will not be putting the drz on the treadmill, my roommates would not appreciate it and I like the house smelling the way it does. I'll probably just get a jump from someone.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

henne posted:

Full disclosure: I will not be putting the drz on the treadmill, my roommates would not appreciate it and I like the house smelling the way it does. I'll probably just get a jump from someone.

Pull the battery and have autozone charge it if you got time.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

MotoMind posted:

A KLX250S is a fat, underpowered copy of the KLX300R. The latter pops up in plated form now and again, and they're the intermediate stage between 80s air-cooled dirt bikes and modern USD dirt bikes. I owned one and it was super-light and fun, but pretty brutish in nature and worse than the WR on the highway. You can get a 351cc kit and pumper carb for the KLX, but you may as well get a DRZ at that point unless you really really need a 6 speed transmission.

It doesn't need engine mods. If you need more power and you can't get there by gearing down and rowing the 6-speed transmission, you got the wrong bike. The suspension is modern and quite serviceable out of the box, though the rear shock is non-rebuildable. The other farkles are out there.

Alright well I guess I really shouldn't settle since I'll end up being pissed about it later. WR all the way (or KTM 690 if a random bag of money falls into my lap).

I could've sworn there was a video of some guy wheelieing a sumo on a treadmill, but apparently not. Which means someone has to make it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
A couple of quick questions for all the supermotard owners here since I've been considering nabbing one in the last few weeks:

1) I live in Pittsburgh and as it appears right now the city seems to be "meh, gently caress it" on the idea of repairing the streets (case in point: we had a landslide on a major roadway that helped traffic flow out of the city back in January and there's still no word on if they've even started repairing it). When I'm riding the current bike, a 2000 Honda VFR, I find myself bouncing along the roads due to nothing being smooth and whipping side to side to avoid large cracks/potholes/etc. To be blunt, I hate riding a sportbike here. Would a supermotard make sense for lovely quality roads and make riding enjoyable again? Or is it just as stressful in your opinion?

2) Because I'm in the city I tend to get a lot of no-neck mouth breathers that take honestly 30 seconds to respond to traffic lights turning green. This means I spend a lot of time sitting in traffic in the city before I can get out of the area, as well as going about 10-15 mph max through the tunnels on my commute to work. The VFR tends to overheat a ton in this traffic, and I'd imagine a Supermotard would do the same. Are there supermotards with electric fans or other ways of dissipating heat, or do you have to keep it moving constantly?

Thanks for answering my stupid questions. Every day I ride out I get a little bit closer to selling the VFR and quitting altogether, so I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong tool for the job.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yes, Wont be an issue, DRZ400SM

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ripoff posted:

A couple of quick questions for all the supermotard owners here since I've been considering nabbing one in the last few weeks:

1) I live in Pittsburgh and as it appears right now the city seems to be "meh, gently caress it" on the idea of repairing the streets (case in point: we had a landslide on a major roadway that helped traffic flow out of the city back in January and there's still no word on if they've even started repairing it). When I'm riding the current bike, a 2000 Honda VFR, I find myself bouncing along the roads due to nothing being smooth and whipping side to side to avoid large cracks/potholes/etc. To be blunt, I hate riding a sportbike here. Would a supermotard make sense for lovely quality roads and make riding enjoyable again? Or is it just as stressful in your opinion?

2) Because I'm in the city I tend to get a lot of no-neck mouth breathers that take honestly 30 seconds to respond to traffic lights turning green. This means I spend a lot of time sitting in traffic in the city before I can get out of the area, as well as going about 10-15 mph max through the tunnels on my commute to work. The VFR tends to overheat a ton in this traffic, and I'd imagine a Supermotard would do the same. Are there supermotards with electric fans or other ways of dissipating heat, or do you have to keep it moving constantly?

Thanks for answering my stupid questions. Every day I ride out I get a little bit closer to selling the VFR and quitting altogether, so I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong tool for the job.

I take my DRZ on bad roads regularly. I usually am able to ride around 40-50 mph on roads that sport bikes crawl through at 10-15 mph. You're basically taking a bike built to go offroad, jump stumps and logs, traverse hill climbs and rutted roads on a street that at it's worse will be 1/10th as bad as some of the offroad trails you could take it on. Add in the ability to hop curbs, pop wheelies and do stoppies on demand all day long and you will be a changed rider.

I drooled over the DRZ for almost 3 1/2 years. After getting one I am more happy than I thought I would be with it. The SM model in a city environment is stupid amounts of fun and it honestly encourages you to ride like a dong.

Come to the Dong side....

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ripoff posted:

1) lovely Roads

2) lovely Traffic

Yup supermotard will do just fine. Another option is dual sport if you ever see yourself getting into mild trail riding. Their large wheels/tires and knobby tires make riding on crappy roads fun. DRZ is the answer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sigtrap, can we change the thread title to The Supermotard Thread: Welcome To The Dong Side

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Sigtrap, can we change the thread title to The Supermotard Thread: Welcome To The Dong Side
The Supermotard Thread: Because Real Men Like It In Back

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ripoff posted:

Buy yourself a DRZ, they have fans that kick in. If you're really worried about it then buy one of these for it: http://epicmotosports.com/sisnerosspeedworksmanualfanoverrideswitchdr-z400ssm.aspx

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ripoff posted:

What everyone else said.
I can take my drz down lovely undulating gravelly potholed backroads flat out (at a whopping 97mph) and its the same as taking my SV at 30mph. I had a BMW F650 aswell and the DRZ is far more coomposed in rough conditions than it was, although not as comfortable to sit on for extended periods.

The DRZ has an electric fan on the rad, but overheating is a rare problem in Irish weather. You may be able to beef it up, personally I wouldn't sit in traffic anyway (filtering is legal here)

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

echomadman posted:

What everyone else said.
I can take my drz down lovely undulating gravelly potholed backroads flat out (at a whopping 97mph) and its the same as taking my SV at 30mph. I had a BMW F650 aswell and the DRZ is far more coomposed in rough conditions than it was, although not as comfortable to sit on for extended periods.

The DRZ has an electric fan on the rad, but overheating is a rare problem in Irish weather. You may be able to beef it up, personally I wouldn't sit in traffic anyway (filtering is legal here)

Man alive I wish filtering wasn't frowned upon in the US. I bet I could filter quickly and easily, but to be honest I'm terrified of a street justice vigilante cutting me off in their car. California riders have no idea how good they got it.

Anyways, thank you all for the advice! I'm going to start scouring Craigslist and the local Suzuki dealers and see how much the DRZ goes for. To be honest, I was actually thinking of building one myself using a 400+ CC CRF or WR, but with everyone spreading the love for the DRZ I think it might be better off to start there.

As for long distance riding on the DRZ I'd probably end up doing a few commutes on it to work every now and then, which includes some superslab time, but it seems that everyone agrees that the DRZ can do that easily.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since we're on DRZ talk, I found this interesting, I never realized that most dual sports were so saggy in the rear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70YesH_87w

aka, chrisyoursuchafatass.mp4

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Since we're on DRZ talk, I found this interesting, I never realized that most dual sports were so saggy in the rear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70YesH_87w

aka, chrisyoursuchafatass.mp4

I set my ride up according to that video and a write up on TT, but I misjudged and was just a wee bit light for the suspension when it was fully stock. The new tank filled with fuel puts me exactly where I should be and I can attest it feels much better.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ripoff posted:

Anyways, thank you all for the advice! I'm going to start scouring Craigslist and the local Suzuki dealers and see how much the DRZ goes for. To be honest, I was actually thinking of building one myself using a 400+ CC CRF or WR, but with everyone spreading the love for the DRZ I think it might be better off to start there.

CRF/WR based supermotos are a lot of fun but are more maintenance intensive (10hr oil change and valve checks)and really don't make that great of bikes for the street...especially for daily riding. I've got a CRF450R motard and while it is an absolute monster of a bike and I love it the thing has been to work twice in the year or so I've owned it and I reserve riding it for track days, mountain riding (trailer it there) or riding like a dong.

The DRZ is bullet proof and you don't have to worry about it. Maintenance is cheap and easy. For a bike that you plan on riding more than once or twice a week get a DRZ.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Repost from reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3w-iZAJBcA

Police chase, or just another day on an Husky?

You know its not in the states when the police don't beat his rear end.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Gullous posted:

Repost from reddit:

There was no reason to take the inside lane on that left he crashed on, he knew incoming traffic was a possibility. His lane was clear and the 1/2 a second he shaved before wrecking wouldn't really have mattered.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gullous posted:

Repost from reddit:

Also, when he layer dan'd, he should have just picked it up and kept riding, right?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

Also, when he layer dan'd, he should have just picked it up and kept riding, right?

I don't see an issue with your logic. That was the first thing I thought. Followed by, you could have just ridden across the water...

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It got stuck under the guard rail, I think. Otherwise yeah, pick it up and keep runnin'.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Check out all the cool poo poo I have waiting to go on my DRZ.

Rim Tape, case protectors, manual CCT. cap on coil upgrade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIFwXtiYbhc)
FCR39
I need to get some bits for the FCR, throttle cables and poo poo. if anyone's done the swap already I'd appreciate any advice you care to give.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Two things that'll help some: 1) Move the right engine mount to the left side (it makes sense when you look at it), but you'll probably need to get new nuts, since they're locking, I think?

2) Attach the intake boot to the carb and then to the airbox.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Two things that'll help some: 1) Move the right engine mount to the left side (it makes sense when you look at it), but you'll probably need to get new nuts, since they're locking, I think?

2) Attach the intake boot to the carb and then to the airbox.

You can reuse the engine mounts, no biggy.

If your carb has the plastic throttle cable protector, remove that first and then reinstall it once the carb is in the bike. It's a tight fit. You can rotate the carb around to get things lined up.

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!
Selling my DRZ tomorrow morning :( Picking up a 690 smc in the afternoon :woop: :woop:

So excited I dont think i'm going to be able to sleep tonight.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

"[working title posted:

"]
Selling my DRZ tomorrow morning :( Picking up a 690 smc in the afternoon :woop: :woop:

Fair warning: Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Have you ridden one before?

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 23, 2012

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!
I've ridden a friends for a short while on a rideout, that's why I'm selling the DRZ that I have just how I want it. Test riding this one with a view to buying tomorrow. The warnings are welcome :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

"[working title posted:

"]

I envy you. I've checked everyday on craigslist for like the past few months and I have NEVER seen a 690SMC come up anywhere in Florida. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

mattfl posted:

I envy you. I've checked everyday on craigslist for like the past few months and I have NEVER seen a 690SMC come up anywhere in Florida. :(

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/mcy/2906100720.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/2811603582.html

I wonder how hard it is to go from Enduro to Motard on 690s.

• Locked thread