Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

workinonit posted:

Well they are doing this: http://www.spin.com/articles/blur-headlining-olympics-best-british-show

Cameron's continuing his aping of Tony Blair by pretending that there's been no good British music post-1997!

e: This is a pretty good article on it: http://thequietus.com/articles/08044-blur-olympics-legacy-90s

David Bowie retired permanently years ago for health reasons, and as much as I love The Fall the idea of them doing a gig like this is laughable.

e: 313CE Mark E Smith was probably born about now.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

workinonit posted:

Cameron's continuing his aping of Tony Blair by pretending that there's been no good British music post-1997!

He's not far wrong, tbh.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Mickolution posted:

He's not far wrong, tbh.

He is...

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Metrication posted:

He is...

Well of course I was being facetious, but to be honest, other than Radiohead and Blur, I can't think of anyone British I'd like to see who are capable of playing a show that size, who have released anything of note since 1997.

I'm surprised it's not just the likes of Paul McCartney or The Stones playing this, tbh, though isn't Albarn involved in the opening ceremony?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Mickolution posted:

Well of course I was being facetious, but to be honest, other than Radiohead and Blur, I can't think of anyone British I'd like to see who are capable of playing a show that size, who have released anything of note since 1997.

Can't you?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Take everyone down to Croydon for some dubstep.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Z-Magic posted:

Can't you?

They're not British, thought they'd certainly be hauled out if we had the Olympics this year. Who do you think they got to play for Obama when he was here?

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 19, 2012

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
It seems pretty clear to me that Piers Morgan has embraced his persona a lot since he branched out into a TV career, I'm almost positive he isn't like that in private. He's (unfortunate to say it) too powerful and accomplished to be a snivelling little shitebag to everyone he meets. He has plenty of showbix friends that seem to genuinely like him, I think he plays the character up when he's on telly, he's probably well aware it's an angle he's using.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Metrication posted:

Take everyone down to Croydon for some dubstep.

Croydon is still probably a loving wasteland from last years riots and the fact its Croydon.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Grand National to be on Channel 4 from next year

I have no idea how good Channel 4's coverage is, but at least it isn't Sky.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

It's on the list of events that have to be free to air, no? Will be weird for it to not be on the BBC, though.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

C4 does a million hours of racing coverage a year, so they have the experience and infrastructure.

BBC is really having a fire sale with its sports rights.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Leon with a Zero posted:

Croydon is still probably a loving wasteland from last years riots and the fact its Croydon.

Croydon is alright, there's much worse places in South London.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

the trophy presentation on university challenge was probably the most awkward thing seen on tv this year.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Cerv posted:

the trophy presentation on university challenge was probably the most awkward thing seen on tv this year.

Worth it for the question "Who painted this in 1914?"

Adolf Hitler

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

I also enjoyed "just naming the planet from Holst would be too easy, so name their largest moon as well" being followed by 2 / 3 wrong planet names.
muppets.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

HoldYourFire posted:

Worth it for the question "Who painted this in 1914?"

Adolf Hitler

God, his perspective is poo poo, no wonder he had to go into politics.

Legit the worst thing he's done outside of ruining the toothbrush moustache.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

reality_groove posted:

C4 does a million hours of racing coverage a year, so they have the experience and infrastructure.

BBC is really having a fire sale with its sports rights.

They don't do that much any more, do they? I thought it was mostly satellite other than the big meetings these days. They certainly have the pedigree, though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Only Connect Sports Relief was on today too. Featured Victoria Coren wearing sweatbands as their sole concession to the charity. Also, one of the teams was named "The Cutters".
Did we come to a conclusion about Dirk Gently? I thought the christmas special was awful, but this last series seemed sort of good.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Mr. Squishy posted:

Only Connect Sports Relief was on today too. Featured Victoria Coren wearing sweatbands as their sole concession to the charity. Also, one of the teams was named "The Cutters".
Did we come to a conclusion about Dirk Gently? I thought the christmas special was awful, but this last series seemed sort of good.

Oh for gently caress's sake. Uni Challenge final didn't record for some reason, then I discover I missed an Only Connect. Two programs I could have watched while eating my tea :(

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Carpet posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. Uni Challenge final didn't record for some reason, then I discover I missed an Only Connect. Two programs I could have watched while eating my tea :(

iPlayer that poo poo

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Bloody Anne Widdicombe is on the Sooty and Sweep show on Citv. Why do they let that woman on television?

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Cerv posted:

At least Manchester won it again - my flatmate was on the team that won in 2005 and I'd have been pissed off at not being able to see the trophy presentation on the day at the studios. That said watching Paxman swear when he got one of the University introductions wrong was funny :)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

iPlayer on Xbox today :toot:

can't actually think of a reason i'm still paying for virgin at this point (i can it's my flatmates being stubborn)

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

As a non console haver I'm waiting for YouView:

http://www.youview.com/

Looks like it will be a while though.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
David Mitchell and Victoria Coren are engaged :3

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-03-20/david-mitchell-and-victoria-coren-announce-engagement

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Yea a friend just told me, best news ever. Their children will be our overlords, and I welcome it.

Edit: Hell a Mitchell-Coren zygote would be a better Prime Minister than the tosser we have now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Awwww, good to hear for David Mitchell.

Cerv posted:

can't actually think of a reason i'm still paying for virgin at this point (i can it's my flatmates being stubborn)

4oD is out, iPlayer is in for me too now.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

DaWolfey posted:

David Mitchell and Victoria Coren are engaged :3

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-03-20/david-mitchell-and-victoria-coren-announce-engagement

They are going to make some awkward children. Wow.

Can we talk about Heather from Eastenders? One of the most hyped-up soap deaths ever. I was expecting Ben Mitchell to murder her in some hideous, violent bloodbath, but she ended up being killed by.... a photo frame.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Coren needs to get pregnant quick so little Baby Mitchell can rule nursery along with Baby Brooker.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

netally posted:

They are going to make some awkward children. Wow.

Can we talk about Heather from Eastenders? One of the most hyped-up soap deaths ever. I was expecting Ben Mitchell to murder her in some hideous, violent bloodbath, but she ended up being killed by.... a photo frame.

Oh what? I haven't watched Eastenders for ages, but I had soft spot for Heather. Didn't even know she was leaving. What happened?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ben Soosneb posted:

Oh what? I haven't watched Eastenders for ages, but I had soft spot for Heather. Didn't even know she was leaving. What happened?
She made the mistake of living in Albert Square?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Metrication posted:

As a non console haver I'm waiting for YouView:

http://www.youview.com/

Looks like it will be a while though.
the latest rumours are pointing towards a mid-May launch.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

the latest rumours are pointing towards a mid-May launch.

This is good news. I see a lot of people are the declaring the death of this thing before it's even launched, but I just want something that will stream to my TV without paying any more than the cost of an internet connection and a set top box. Apple TV would be my first preference but having to jailbreak it to get on demand content is too much hassle.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Metrication posted:

This is good news. I see a lot of people are the declaring the death of this thing before it's even launched, but I just want something that will stream to my TV without paying any more than the cost of an internet connection and a set top box. Apple TV would be my first preference but having to jailbreak it to get on demand content is too much hassle.

That looks a lot like SeeSaw, is it the same thing, or a relaunch or something?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Project Kangaroo was the BBC, ITV and C4s attempt to setup a single website for paid VoD. It got slapped down as anti-competitive, the remains for sold off and relaunched as SeeSaw before dying.

Project Canvas, now Youview, is a subsequent and bigger collaboration which is attempting to define a technology standard for everybody to offer their own product. So just as you can walk in to a shop and ask for a Freeview box and know what you're getting, you should be able to go in to a shop and ask for a Youview box and know what you're getting.

There seems to be a popular view that due to an extended gestation, it's missed the boat. But look at the umpteen array of propriety 'Connected TVs', each with their own half-baked garden walled services, and it's clear the boat hasn't even been built yet.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I did not realise they'd done a mini series of Dirk Gently after the one-off, and having binged through it on iPlayer I (a) love it and (b) it's proof that both ITV and Welded Tandem can do Good Things if they are making stuff with a solid, well developed base, and a decent enough budget (and Welded Tandem are prevented from making balls like This Is Jinsy)

So I'd like some more of that please Mr Klein.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

There seems to be a popular view that due to an extended gestation, it's missed the boat. But look at the umpteen array of propriety 'Connected TVs', each with their own half-baked garden walled services, and it's clear the boat hasn't even been built yet.

All the attempts by technology companies have been pretty laughable so far, particularly Google's (yospos bitch etc). The content providers who make a living from TV are definitely going be more successful at this kind of thing in my opinion. At the very basic level they understand the market they are broadcasting to, something that Google and others have little knowledge.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Cerv posted:

I'm surprised you don't need xbox gold to use it. Was that why it's appearing on xbox so much later than on the other consoles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Spalec posted:

I'm surprised you don't need xbox gold to use it. Was that why it's appearing on xbox so much later than on the other consoles?

Yep.