Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

cKnoor posted:

Didn't they used to have a thread here, which was just them posting "going live" for a few months with no other replies. Or am I thinking of some other group that plays live on Thursdays?

Now they just post that in the streams thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

cKnoor posted:

Didn't they used to have a thread here, which was just them posting "going live" for a few months with no other replies. Or am I thinking of some other group that plays live on Thursdays?

Yeah, that was it, and then someone gassed it because literally nothing else happened aside from one weekly post.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

cKnoor posted:

They post in the stream thread alot, I'm not sure if they ever had a designated thread.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mico posted:

They post in the stream thread alot, I'm not sure if they ever had a designated thread.

No seriously, I posted right above you hours ago. This was a thing that happened.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I had the tab open from before and didn't realize it. My bad.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
I knew there was a thread, but I never looked at it. I found out through the DMs posts in trad games. I've never actually seen them play live. I just assumed they had enough viewers for them to go through the trouble of streaming it every week.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Soviets posted:

I knew there was a thread, but I never looked at it. I found out through the DMs posts in trad games. I've never actually seen them play live. I just assumed they had enough viewers for them to go through the trouble of streaming it every week.

You should really check them out if you're into DnD, it's one of the best real-play podcasts I've listened to, and the live streams are fun too.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Can anyone recommend a VLP with a group that has good rapport but also stays on-topic and generally shares interesting info about the game? Similar to Slowbeef's Metroid Prime series. I tried out Tipping Forties (watched some of their Fable 2 LP) and they're not really my kind of thing, they seem a little too detached from the actual game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tender Bender posted:

Can anyone recommend a VLP with a group that has good rapport but also stays on-topic and generally shares interesting info about the game? Similar to Slowbeef's Metroid Prime series. I tried out Tipping Forties (watched some of their Fable 2 LP) and they're not really my kind of thing, they seem a little too detached from the actual game.

ThornBrain's crew are good with that, they have Twilight Princess and Pikmin 2 threads going right now.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, the T40s aren't really anything to recommend in any way. You'd have a better shot with the Freelance Astronauts (I loved the NSMBW LP but haven't seen anything else by them) or basically anything Disco Jesus & co have done. Poke around on the master list to find the threads, they're usually decent.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
I recommend anything with RChimp Cola and Sinatrapod as well. Their Resident Evil 5 LP is a thing of beauty.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Tender Bender posted:

To be fair, you probably picked one of the worst T40s LPs to try. I enjoy their stuff but even I didn't really enjoy those videos and the group agrees they didn't really have any fun doing it.

Though they'll never be a group that stays on topic or says interesting things about the game, so they may not be what you're looking for in general. Though if you want to give them another shot it would probably be best to go back to their first which was FFX. They're probably the most focused on the game in that one.

Freelance Astronauts are probably what you're looking for, though. They're fun to listen to and Maxwell generally knows a lot about the games he plays. A couple of my favorites from them are Ocarina of Time Master Quest and GTA Vice City.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Tender Bender posted:

I just watched Phenwah's Red Steel 2 LP. He and his two friends have a good chemistry together, and the game's combat is fun to watch.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Adus posted:

Freelance Astronauts are probably what you're looking for, though. They're fun to listen to and Maxwell generally knows a lot about the games he plays. A couple of my favorites from them are Ocarina of Time Master Quest and GTA Vice City.

I like their Twilight Princess one, where they use various codes to change the colour of Link's tunic, or fly, or whatever.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466642&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Proteus and Suspicious's Bulletstorm LP might be up your alley. They stay pretty on topic while making it fun.

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe
I've enjoyed both Mecca Prime's Link's Awakening LP and Metroixer's Pokemon LP, what others are similar to these?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SIr_Lienad posted:

I've enjoyed both Mecca Prime's Link's Awakening LP and Metroixer's Pokemon LP, what others are similar to these?

Vicas did a sequence breaking run of Metroid Prime, and ElephantGun broke the everlasting gently caress out of FF6.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Adus posted:

...it would probably be best to go back to their first which was FFX. They're probably the most focused on the game in that one.
I'm a pretty big fan of T40s, & I've only worked my way through the FFX LP...only a few more episodes to go. That's the one they're most focused on? :stare:
50 videos in they still can't keep straight whether Flee is a skill or a special, they have looked at the top bar that gives clues outright states weaknesses of enemies about 4 times thus far (while bitching about not knowing what to do to a particular boss far more frequently such as where they brute-forced through enemies that would've been one-shotted by magic, or where they attack enemies that absorb water with a waterstrike weapon, only to put the waterstrike weapon right back on & end up doing the same thing in the next battle) and on more than one occasion they talked through a cutscene & then 30 seconds later started complaining that they didn't understand what was going on, where they were supposed to be going or why they were going there.

I guess what I'm saying is that if any of the T40s stuff isn't your style then don't waste your time on their other stuff because they apparently haven't changed much in their time LPing.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Saw a test post for a Crash Bandicoot game, i think it was the fourth one. Watching it made me realize how much I'd like to see a good LP of the first three. The only LP linked in the LP Archive is, well, not so good. The videos are only 2-3 minutes long and the commentary is mumbled/delivered way to fast. Sounds like a bad version of Yahtzee.

Somebody should re-do the first three crash games, or maybe if they've already been done I could get a link to em.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Jagged Alliance 2/Burn Notice LP that is going on right now is really good. Even without knowing the show first hand, I think the OP does a great job with the narrative and integrating the show's characters as part of the game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

UnknownMercenary posted:

The Jagged Alliance 2/Burn Notice LP that is going on right now is really good. Even without knowing the show first hand, I think the OP does a great job with the narrative and integrating the show's characters as part of the game.

It actually got me marathoning the show - I just finished season 4 yesterday. If that's not a recommendation, I don't know what is.

Riobs
Oct 30, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Yeah, the T40s aren't really anything to recommend in any way. You'd have a better shot with the Freelance Astronauts (I loved the NSMBW LP but haven't seen anything else by them) or basically anything Disco Jesus & co have done. Poke around on the master list to find the threads, they're usually decent.

I really liked the older T40s LP's such as Shenmue which I will recommend whole heartedly, but I didn't make it far into the Fable LP or any subsequent ones really. Also you are right freelance astronauts and Disco Jesus's LP's are very good.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Thanks for the one who recommended the Persona 4 endurance run. I just finished watching every second of it and it was pretty hilarious, also great background noise while doing something else. I downloaded the Youtube playlist and kept a small window playing while doing other poo poo.

edit: I just watched someone else play a game for 99 hours 59 minutes. I feel dirty.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

HUMAN FISH posted:

Thanks for the one who recommended the Persona 4 endurance run. I just finished watching every second of it and it was pretty hilarious, also great background noise while doing something else. I downloaded the Youtube playlist and kept a small window playing while doing other poo poo.

edit: I just watched someone else play a game for 99 hours 59 minutes. I feel dirty.

Longer actually, since you have to take into account the times they died and had to reload.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Ok, so I need a couple of recommendations. So far I have watched Kamoc's Silent Hill Homecoming lp, and supergreatfriends Deadly Premonitions. Is there anything else similar in lp style? I know about the Spy Hunter lp, but other than that I'm at a loss.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

mrfreeze posted:

Ok, so I need a couple of recommendations. So far I have watched Kamoc's Silent Hill Homecoming lp, and supergreatfriends Deadly Premonitions. Is there anything else similar in lp style? I know about the Spy Hunter lp, but other than that I'm at a loss.

Voidburger's Silent Hill 0rigins and Silent Hill LPs might interest you, being roughly the same format.

TheObscure
Feb 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdNW1iz1rfg&feature=youtu.be Seems like a genuinely great let's play. They're pretty good.

N.N. Ashe
Dec 29, 2009

TheObscure posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdNW1iz1rfg&feature=youtu.be Seems like a genuinely great let's play. They're pretty good.

1) DO NOT NOMINATE YOUR THREAD OR A THREAD THAT YOU'RE A PART OF (ie. guest commentating)!

Go be an idiot somewhere else.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
What are some sweet screenshot LPs that are in the forums (not archives or off-site)?

I like reading about sweet games (Spycraft, Dangan Ronpa) or funny things (The Sims 3, RCT).

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

dongsbot 9000 posted:

What are some sweet screenshot LPs that are in the forums (not archives or off-site)?

I like reading about sweet games (Spycraft, Dangan Ronpa) or funny things (The Sims 3, RCT).

Do you only mean stuff that's currently still going? Because in archives there's always a link to the original thread.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Funny things you say?

The strangest tale of friendship can be found in Kite's Torn Apart: Over the Net: Kay thread which is still one update from completion.

If you read the non-update posts you will learn the story of how Kite became friends with EriksBlue, the creator of the game.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
This is probably old news but i just watched the Dongs.exe lp in the archive and wow. It's intense. You get to follow a guy as he descends into madness while playing a really hard platformer. Great stuff.

N.N. Ashe
Dec 29, 2009
Are there any good and consistent streaming lps out there?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Syncopated posted:

This is probably old news but i just watched the Dongs.exe lp in the archive and wow. It's intense. You get to follow a guy as he descends into madness while playing a really hard platformer. Great stuff.

It is in fact you who descends into madness. The LP is just Taxi talking about his grandma's balls

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Syncopated posted:

This is probably old news but i just watched the Dongs.exe lp in the archive and wow. It's intense. You get to follow a guy as he descends into madness, realizing that people on the Let's Play forum will watch anything. Great stuff.
Fixed that for you. :)

Hell, most of the videos were made in the intent to be bad and yet people kept watching. That probably just shows how Taxi would record pretty much anything, even while trying to be as obnoxious or boring as he could, and it would still be entertaining.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
There's great entertainment in watching yourself get trolled really, really well by a guy who's putting a lot of effort into his trolling.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

Fixed that for you. :)

Hell, most of the videos were made in the intent to be bad and yet people kept watching. That probably just shows how Taxi would record pretty much anything, even while trying to be as obnoxious or boring as he could, and it would still be entertaining.

Yeah all his LPs are worth watching. Shame he seem to lost his source videos for Bubble Bobbles, as he was able to save everything else he had (which are now reuploaded).

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I...am the demons?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

GuavaMoment posted:

There's great entertainment in watching yourself get trolled really, really well by a guy who's putting a lot of effort into his trolling.

Except I don't think taxi ever put effort into his trolling, he was just naturally good at it.

Anyway, back to recommendations, people! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I was a drat fool for not believing everyone about the Dongan Ronpa LP.

I got spoiled on something from a report I had to check out and decided "oh gently caress it, I should start reading to see if it's a big deal or what."

Holy poo poo.

I couldn't stop from about page 8 and I've now finished page 41 and I want to read it all tonight.

What a loving game. The OP is translating it, giving facts about the game and Japanese (it's not released here) but wow. The gameplay takes a severe left turn at some point and it's all really good.

You think the game hits the ground running, but it keeps getting more and more hosed up faster and faster.

Wow. Do yourself the favor and check it out, even if you are not a visual novel fan. (Because it's not a visual novel, even though it seems that way at first.)

• Locked thread